PDA

View Full Version : Walking around Buenos Aires

Savoy
02-25-06, 12:17
Hi all,

Is BA a city that you can walk / wander around, and how wide are the blocks, for example is 5 blocks a long distance in Recoletta area, or is it just like Manhattan?

Thanks

Dickhead
02-25-06, 12:21
Hi all;

Is BA a city that you can walk / wander around, and how wide are the blocks, for example is 5 blocks a long distance in Recoletta area, or is it just like Manhattan?

ThanksBA is absolutely excellent to walk around in. The blocks are not long in Recoleta. In some parts of the city a block could be two Manhattan blocks or so, but not in Recoleta or the Microcenter. Some streets do have narrow sidewalks and can be annoying during peak times. Plus Argentineans walk very slowly in large groups and block the sidewalk; it's hard to get around them. But walking is awesome overall.

Moore
02-25-06, 16:45
And it gets even better after maybe a week here, at which point you develop a sixth sense and unconscious downward vision scan, allowing you to avoid the scattered land mines (dog shit)

El Perro
02-25-06, 22:28
First week I was here I had my rented cellphone snatched by a bicycle thief and stepped in dog shit (was wearing tennis shoes-a fashion no-no and damn hard to get the shit outta the grooves) No problems since. I agree with Dickhead, a great place to walk, and you can find out alot more about what's going on when on foot.

Mojokpr
03-08-06, 04:40
Jeez, don't get me going about walking in this city. When I am there, I probably spend 5, 6, 7 hours a day just walking, checking out different zones, etc. I'll ride the subte to an area I haven't seen before and check it out. This is a true walking city. My head is on a swivel pretty much all the time, checking out the beautiful ladies. I enjoy the architecture, the street scenes that pop up, walking around at night, the whole thing.

I've never felt endangered at all, and I've walked all over places like San Telmo at 4:00 in the morning, so much they probably recognize me there. One night I left some bar at Callao and Corrientes, it was a nice night out, maybe 3:30 am or so, and I just walked back to San Telmo, no problems. I walked along Corrientes to 9 de Julio, there were still lots of people out and about, not thuggy looking types but just regular folks out for a walk, maybe walking home from a night out. This is a very late night city so to be out walking at late hours is no big deal.

You know, you fuckers that live there really piss me off, bastards. (tic)

Dickhead
03-08-06, 15:37
You know, you fuckers that live there really piss me off, bastards. (tic)Nyah nyah NYAH na NYAH nyah!

Charlie Horse
03-08-06, 21:53
I recently rented Nine Queens http://imdb.com/title/tt0247586/ which was a good movie and is filmed in BA. I wondered if any of you have seen it and can point out the neighborhoods shown in the film. I recognize the modern hotel as the Hilton, but what were the other neighborhoods?

El Perro
03-08-06, 22:29
I recently rented Nine Queens http://imdb.com/title/tt0247586/ which was a good movie and is filmed in BA. I wondered if any of you have seen it and can point out the neighborhoods shown in the film. I recognize the modern hotel as the Hilton, but what were the other neighborhoods?I can't help you with the neighborhoods, but I saw it and liked it as well. Pretty slick ending! "Assassination Tango" by Robert Duvall has some nice scenes in BA as well, though IMHO the movie was pretty weak. I know squat about the Argentine film industry, but I do know the two lead actors in "Nine Queens" are very well known here.

Mojokpr
03-09-06, 00:28
Especially you, Dickhead. You're having way too much fun.

Doggboy, thanks for the recommendation for Nueva Reinas, it sounds like a good flick and a good way to learn a little more spanish. I did see Tango Assassin, it was weak, probably just an opportunity for Robert Duvall to show off his lady. Hell, I would do the same if I could.

Easy Go
03-09-06, 02:36
"El Hijo de mi Novia" is pretty good as well. I found the Spanish a little easier to understand than in "Neuva Reinas".

VaqueroNY
03-17-06, 21:04
I feel comfortable walking through most of the city.

I left LOST in Recoleta (araoz sp? & Santa Fe) at about 430am and walked the 16 or so blocks back to my flat in Soho and never felt a bit uneasy, then again I stayed on the well lit Santa Fe until I hit Borges.

Wondering through chinatown at night might be a different story.

Member #4110
03-18-06, 01:38
I recently rented Nine Queens http://imdb.com/title/tt0247586/ which was a good movie and is filmed in BA. I wondered if any of you have seen it and can point out the neighborhoods shown in the film. I recognize the modern hotel as the Hilton, but what were the other neighborhoods?The only location I was sure of is the long stretch of old warehouses that have been converted into chic cafes, just across the water from Puerto Madero. There is a walkway between the water and the cafes, and the camera spent some time on that site. The next street, just on the other side of the cafes, is Av. A. M. De Justo.

Moore
03-18-06, 03:23
Sometimes I walk outside of Envidia in Flores at 3am and feel completely at ease. The area is not so bad but not so good. What surprises me is that taxis that I hail there will sometimes slow down, take a good look at me, and not stop. Like I might get in and go Gacy all over them or something. The drivers are cautious in less secure zones, which may leave you stranded on foot for a while.

But even in the roughest southern BA provincial suburbs Ive never felt uneasy walking here. There are people out walking at all hours including single women, children, well dressed etc. Compare that to Sao Paulo, where you can't even walk in the nicest areas like Jardins in broad daylight. Maybe you could try, but like in Johannesburg/Sandton youd be the only human on the street and surrounded by security fences, razor wire, and an occasional security guard armed with an AK47 and grenades. Argentina is not like that, its not such a violent place. No worries here.

Rock Harders
03-18-06, 03:49
Mongers,

I can advise that there is no need to have any second thoughts about walking around in any part of the Capital Federal that you are likely to be in. I'd say that the same rules to walking around in NYC apply in Buenos Aires, but upon second thought its really not the same. When in NYC I walk with the cold hard look on my face and never acknowledge any of the various street creatures that inhabit the city's thoroughfares. In Buenos Aires I frequently chat with the people hanging on the street, find out their story, etc, and I am almost always in a good mood walking around so I usually have a happy look on my face. I guess the truly beautiful women walking the streets have something to do with that happy look on my face.

Unless you are in some horrific area that should not be visited after dark- some areas of Boca, Constitucion, Avellaneda, etc, I would say that the chance of getting mugged is the same whether in Recoleta, Barrio Norte, Palermo, San Telmo or Puerto Madero. My Spanish teacher / ladyfriend got mugged in a small plaza a few blocks from her house in Palermo Soho back in November. Also, one of the guys that works at my gym (megatlon) in be. Norte got beat up real good in Puerto Madero. I have yet to have a single problem walking around, other than those I caused through my own belligerant drunken rowdiness.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Moore
03-18-06, 04:05
When in NYC I walk with the cold hard look on my face and never acknowledge any of the various street creatures that inhabit the city's thoroughfares.Yes I've seen that cold hard look on the faces of many (all?) women in NYC, and I don't think it was due to security concerns. I shouldnt pick on NYC, the women in other US cities have the same look for male creatures that makes their blood freeze.

Hunt99
03-18-06, 10:17
Unless you are in some horrific area that should not be visited after dark- some areas of Boca, Constitucion, Avellaneda, etc, It's hard for a new visitor to know what the "no-go" areas are. The city is not entirely safe, and we have had some reports of muggings, pickpocketing, and minor violence here. (And occasionally threatened by an outspoken poster or two.) But given that all of us are playing around in the "semi-legal" areas of Buenos Aires, the amount of bad reports are surprisingly small. I'd say the chief advice I would give is:

1 Travel in pairs. A solo man or just a man and a woman make much easier targets.

2 Stay in the tourist areas late at night.

3 Learn how to order a radio taxi and use them exclusively. There is an occasional "express kidnapping" perpetrated by taxi drivers and their accomplices. If you order a taxi from one of the big companies the chances of this happening are much lower.

4 Carry around only one (or at most two) credit cards and the money you need for that evening's entertainment only. Leave the balance in the safe at your hotel and withdraw it when you need it. And if somebody wants to rob you, give it to them. It's only money, and if you are carrying only a small amount of money like I told you, not too damn much money, either. You don't need act like Charles Bronson in "Death Wish 17."

5 Buenos Aires is a very safe city, at least as safe as any big US or European city. Don't be paranoid.

Member #4110
03-18-06, 20:10
One of the pleasures of walking around Buenos Aires is looking at the well-dressed women on the streets. Some women, mostly young and mostly in the evening, wear fashionable blue jeans that highlight their lovely asses. So do American and European girls, of course, but I swear that these jeans are cut differently in the crotch than is typical in the United States. The fit is tight through the crotch, so you can see how the material gathers up tight in the crack of the ass and splits the labia for all to see, if you are impolite enough to look (I guess I am, for a quick peak) I wonder if the original Levi ever thought the thick seam he put in the crotch of blue jeans would be buried in labia, rubbing up firmly against these clits every time a step is taken. And I can't help wondering if this is a method of auto-stimulation: how could it not be? Long ago I had an Italian girlfriend in New York who would have an orgasm every time she walked in a particular pair of jeans that had a repair in the crotch (she also had an orgasm every time she rode the IRT subway down 7th Avenue) I keep looking at the portena's upper chest and ears for signs of sexual arousal: just a giirl and her jeans. This can add a certain element of pleasure and interest to an evening stroll in a great city.

Marak5
04-02-06, 09:46
One of the pleasures of walking around Buenos Aires is looking at the well-dressed women on the streets. Some women, mostly young and mostly in the evening, wear fashionable blue jeans that highlight their lovely asses. So do American and European girls, of course, but I swear that these jeans are cut differently in the crotch than is typical in the United States. The fit is tight through the crotch, so you can see how the material gathers up tight in the crack of the ass and splits the labia for all to see, if you are impolite enough to look (I guess I am, for a quick peak) I wonder if the original Levi ever thought the thick seam he put in the crotch of blue jeans would be buried in labia, rubbing up firmly against these clits every time a step is taken. And I can't help wondering if this is a method of auto-stimulation: how could it not be? Long ago I had an Italian girlfriend in New York who would have an orgasm every time she walked in a particular pair of jeans that had a repair in the crotch (she also had an orgasm every time she rode the IRT subway down 7th Avenue) I keep looking at the portena's upper chest and ears for signs of sexual arousal: just a giirl and her jeans. This can add a certain element of pleasure and interest to an evening stroll in a great city.Jesus some of you guys are the biggest perverts.

Marak5
04-02-06, 09:57
Some of the best memories I have are walking around the streets late at night. Up and down sante fe and callao is so perfect for this. The best time is like 3 or 4 am. There are still some people out, but not many, so it doesn't feel deserted. All the lights with the buildings make it a very romantic setting, its seriously like something out of a movie. To be honest I really get absolutely nothing out of fucking hookers at this point, its so empty for me. But I would absolutey pay the girls to just walk around these streets with me late at night. In fact I think that is what I will do next time.

Starfe
04-02-06, 13:39
Many of you know I love a late night stroll through the many parks of Buenos Aires. For safety reasons I always pack a

http://files1.turbosquid.com/Preview/Content_on_8_23_2002_12_34_07/1_Butcher_Knife_O.jpgjpgAFDC6D78-A6E6-45EF-BFCC1AF6AAD88A9C.jpgLarge.jpg

Starfe