PDA

View Full Version : Arentine Passports

AllIWantIsLove
03-01-06, 12:59
My searches here and all over the web have been unproductive. And if I did find the right site it would be in Spanish and I wouldn't understand it anyway. Someone here probably knows or can at least give me a lead. What does a citizen of Argentina pay for a passport? Are there related costs? E. G. A trip back to your place of birth to pick up some documentation? Or a fee to get some document which you have to submit? A bribe or two?

I did learn from a post by Andres that the process can take 2-3 months.

Gracias, Bob

Moore
03-01-06, 18:04
The cost is 130 pesos (plus 17 for a cedula which almost everyone gets). I think you only need your DNI and birth certificate. If you were born outside of Argentina, you will also need proof of your Argentine citizenship, generally naturalization papers.

The process is quite simple, maybe takes 45 minutes including lines, fotos, fingerprinting, etc. You will not receive the passport, however, until about 60 days after applying. Unlike the USA where I believe you can get a passport in 48 hours if necessary.

Jaimito Cartero
03-01-06, 20:29
Does anyone know if you can get Argentinian citizenship though grandparents? My grandmother was born there, but I don't think she ever had formal citizenship. Her parents were there before WWI, working on a construction project, but left at the onset of the war.

I sometimes think I'd like to live there for a bit, and thought that rather than having to make visa runs, this might be another way of doing it, although a long shot, I'm sure.

Moore
03-01-06, 20:59
Does anyone know if you can get Argentinian citizenship though grandparents? My grandmother was born there, but I don't think she ever had formal citizenship. Her parents were there before WWI, working on a construction project, but left at the onset of the war.

I sometimes think I'd like to live there for a bit, and thought that rather than having to make visa runs, this might be another way of doing it, although a long shot, I'm sure.I don't think so. You can look up the law and its modifications on the web. I believe that children born abroad to 2 native born Argentines can opt for Argentine citizenship but I don't think it passes beyond that.

It might be worth looking into in your case though. Some European countries, for instance, will grant citizenship several generations beyond the last native born citizen, so long as the emigrant did not naturalize (and lose original citizenship and ability to pass it by blood) before having the foreign born child. Beyond that there is no danger of naturalization since the foreign born descendants would have no reason to naturalize, in most Western countries at least.