PDA

View Full Version : Leather

WrldTraveller
03-16-06, 08:28
Can anyone recommend a place to get good quality leather (wallets, belts, and bags) at a fair price? I am looking for quality, at non-Gringo prices.

Thanks,

WT

Ampfofu
03-16-06, 12:48
Can anyone recommend a place to get good quality leather (wallets, belts, and bags) at a fair price? I am looking for quality, at non-Gringo prices.

Thanks,

WTGo to Tigre. They have all the best stuff at gret prices at the open market. Don't go on a Mon, as the week goes on more and more places open. But the best time to go I think will be a Sat. And then you will have all places open and not many tourists know about tigre. So the prices will be more set for local argentine people

StrayLight
05-14-06, 22:36
Go to Tigre. Where's Tigre?

I had a great leather experience at A & G Leather, on the 900 block of Suipacha.

The salesman is a guy named Charlie, who apparently spent some serious time in the States at one point in his life and speaks nearly flawless English. According to him, he also spent some jail time in Italy at one point in his life for being on the wrong side of the antique trade. Who knows? But he kind of personifies the so-called "viveza criolla" quality that certain travel books warn you about. Charming, but sly.

Anyway, I had a leather jacket made to my specs that's awesome. Simply awesome. It was about USD $150 or thereabouts. Maybe that's too high if you really know your way around town, but it would have easily been USD $400 in the States, and that's if I could have even found one like it. In short, I was very happy with it.

Charlie claimed they can make anything. Dunno that I'll give him that opportunity, but I am having two more coats made when I get the chance.

Artisttyp
05-15-06, 00:36
I just came back and bought alot of leather. Look under my trip summary post and you will see where I got my deals. IMHO the best deal is for shoes accessories and belts at $15-20 US dollars. You can find a deal on a jacket but nothing beats Mexico for good tough cow leather at a great price. I've never paid above $60 for a great leather jacket usually an average of $50. However in Argentina you might find some better made items that you couldnt find in Mexico.

Tango
05-16-06, 01:04
In the 600's of Murillo Street, there are many factory outlet stores for leather jackets. I have checked out all the stores, but I always end up coming back to "Donna" for the best prices and the best quality. Be careful - there are a lot of stores that sell jackets made from pieces of leather, like a patchwork quilt. "Donna" has good quality. Take along cash to avoid the IVA, $US dollars are best, but I used Traveller's checks equally well. I have never paid more than US$ 100 for a jacket after negotiating the best price. They have a brown distressed leather called "Crash" which is beautiful. Donna is at 605/607 Murillo Street, and it is close to the Chacarita Cemetery, where Carlos Gardel is buried. Check out the tomb of Carlos Gardel, the most famous of all tango singers, and put a lighted cigarette in the fingers of his statue.

Hunt99
10-25-06, 13:17
Bump. Somebody is interested in this topic. Any updates would be welcome.

El Perro
05-08-08, 18:41
I'm slimming down before the next move and so getting rid of a few things. I have a vintage Berman's black leather / suede jacket. I am guessing from the 70's. Size large. Excellent condition. Heavy. Perfect for the damp BA winter. Bermans is (or was) a Korean company. You'll see some of their stuff on EBay. I'd keep it but have accumulated too much shit. A hip wear for one of you groovy cats. I think this is perfect for you El Sid. It's a little unusual and you have to be secure in your sexual identity to pull it off.:)

El Perro
05-08-08, 19:58
But normally, I measure ''extra large''!See you tonight big stuff.

Exon123
05-08-08, 20:13
I'm slimming down before the next move and so getting rid of a few things. I have a vintage Berman's black leather / suede jacket. I am guessing from the 70's. Size large. Excellent condition. Heavy. Perfect for the damp BA winter. Bermans is (or was) a Korean company. You'll see some of their stuff on EBay. I'd keep it but have accumulated too much shit. A hip wear for one of you groovy cats. I think this is perfect for you El Sid. It's a little unusual and you have to be secure in your sexual identity to pull it off.:)Any matching shoes to go with it Dogg, we don't want Sidney in anyrhing but High Fashion.

Exon

El Perro
05-08-08, 20:37
Any matching shoes to go with it Dogg, we don't want Sidney in anyhing but High Fashion.

ExonIf he has some black shoes without a penny in the middle of 'em, he'll be swinging.

I'm not positive but I think Bobby Darin once owned this jacket.