PDA

View Full Version : Lost Passports and DNI

Jackpot
03-28-06, 13:12
Yesterday my Passport and DNI were stolen.

Can any one tell me how to obtain a replacement passport from the US Embassy and tell me the location and hours.

The same questions apply to the lost DNI.

ASAP if you can.

Jackpot

Mpexy
03-28-06, 13:50
I have only lost my passport once, and it was before 9/11, so things might be quite different now.

At the time, it turned out getting a replacement passport was quite easy - I lost my passport, eurailpass, and some other goodies but still had my regular wallet with credit cards and driver's license. I was in Heidelberg and after making out a police report I was directed to the nearest US Consulate in Frankfurt.

Arriving there, I got a replacement passport in literally 30-35 min. I stood in one line, showed them what ID I had left - my credit cards, driver's license, and filled out a form swearing I was a US citizen. A friend that was traveling with me also filled out a form swearing they had seen my passport before and that I was a US citizen. To the best of my knowledge, at that time no one ever had me wait or tried to call back home to the United States to have my birth certificate or any other supporting document sent to them.

Then they had me provide passport photos via a machine / booth that was conveniently inside the consulate, stood in another line and I was issued an emergency replacement passport - it was stamped as only good for 30 days, but that with another stamp it could be extended for the full 10 years. I had to turn that one in when I got my passport renewed a few years ago but for awhile I had the novelty of carrying around and showing a United States passport that said issued in Frankfurt, Germany rather than my home city. (all I had to do was show my birth certificate at my passport office when I returned to get the permanent extension stamp to convert that passport from a 30-day replacement to a 10 year one. I turned it in after 9/11 to get a new re-issued passport from my home city as I did catch some looks from immigration when they examined my passport and had to hunt around for the extension stamp proving it was a permanent passport)

Jackpot
03-28-06, 18:16
I hope the Argentina Embassy is as nice as Frankfurt.

I've heard this embassy is not so nice. I will supply.

A review of how our govt. Treats us expats.

Jackpot

Andres
03-28-06, 21:11
Yesterday my Passport and DNI were stolen.

Can any one tell me how to obtain a replacement passport.

From the US Embassy and tell me the location and hours.

The same questions apply to the lost DNI.

ASAP if you can.

JackpotI highly recommend that you get a Cedula de Identidad at Policia Federal (the same building as the passport facilities, Chile St ans Azopardo St)

The idea is to carry the Cedula everywhere, which is easier and cheaper to replace than the DNI. Since 100% of the time only Police and Prefectura will ask you for documentation, it suffice.

DNI, passport and the such are goods to be stored at a safe place and only carried on a need-base only.

Hope this helps.

Andres

Jackpot
03-31-06, 21:29
Expecting a real ordeal at the US Embassy, I got up early and waited to enter the Embasy at 8AM. I went to the outside checkpoint and presented my California Drivers License and stated I was here to obtain a replacement PP.

The guard gave me the ok to enter the Emb. I went thru the security check.

(just like a US airport) and went to the waiting room. Yes, the place opens at 8 but the people start work at 8:30. I filled out a few forms so they could do a search in the citizen data base. The search took about 1/2 hour.

I was told the PP would be available at 3 PM. I opted for next day pickup.

In the afternoon. The staff I encountered were atractive women with nice attitudes. The whole process was painless except for the $97 donation.

When your PP is stolen, it is VERY important to get a police report called a ¨DENUNCIA¨. This document with a file number and date will allow me to exit ARG with my new PP that DOES NOT HAVE AN ENTRY STAMP. The ladies Assured me that without the Denuncia things would be very difficult to get out of ARG and would involve lookup of arrival date, etc to prove.

I came here legally. DO NOT GET INTO ANY BUREAUCRATIC TRAPS HERE. Its the spider and the fly routine, and you will not get out of the web without frustration and pain.

I guess Papa Benito got someone on the rag. My total experience was a cake walk.

Hope this helps.

The DNI loss seems to be not so bad and there is plenty of time to aply for a replacement. I will take Andres excellent advice, get a cedula, and keep.

All other docs in a safe hidden place.

Jackpot

Jackpot
03-31-06, 21:37
Go to Plaza Italia or ask to go to the Rural. The Embassy is about 1/2 mile walk towards Ave Libertadore, on the superwide steet next to the Zoo.

My Taxi driver knew exactly where it was. No Worries.

Jackpot

Moore
03-31-06, 22:03
I have dealt with the embassy several times and everything has gone smoothly and quickly. I suggest going to their website where you will see email contact info for various departments. Ive emailed the consular section a few queries and theyve always responded within 24 hours. Phoning an embassy is generally not a good idea, save a real emergency.

But they have been very helpful via email, and even sent me a form once which eliminated a trip there. Also they will inform you exactly when to go to the embassy / consular section for a particular tramite. For instance, I ran out of pages in my passport and needed more (they add about 20) and this particular tramite is done only between, for instance, 1pm-3pm Monday-Wed. That page addition took maybe 20 minutes at the consular section, couldnt believe how easy it was. While you're there, register with them, why not.

Jackpot, how were your passport / DNI stolen? The process for applying for the replacement DNI might be simple, but I will bet that you will not be getting next-day delivery on that one.

I agree with Andres that the cedula is the best ARG id to carry around. Keep in mind that you must be either a permanent resident or citizen to get it. I see no reason to take the pp/dni out of a secure place unless you need them to travel or for legal id.

Looks like you're stuck in ARG for a while without that stamp / denuncia. Sounds good to me. If you needed to get out and got your DNI first, you could probably travel to another Mercosur country on the DNI and then back to USA without the stamp. If getting the denuncia is a real pain in the ass, that might be the way to go.