PDA

View Full Version : Local buses (colectivos)

AllIWantIsLove
02-04-06, 16:26
I have been looking for a post I saw recently regarding a local bus schedule. The post mentions a publication that contains not only the schedule of local buses but also local maps. I remember it quite well, except for the name of the publication, but all of my searches have yielded nada.

Does anyone know the name of the publication so that I can find it at a newstand?

Gracias,

Bob

Andres
02-04-06, 18:05
I have been looking for a post I saw recently regarding a local bus schedule. I think that it was by Dickhead but I am not certain. The post mentions a publication that contains not only the schedule of local buses but also local maps. I remember it quite well, except for the name of the publication, but all of my searches have yielded nada.

Does anyone know the name of the publication so that I can find it at a newstand?

Gracias, BobGuía Peuser.

It has the routing of the buses, but not the timing, since traffic isn't reliable to set arrival times to stops.

Hope this helps,

Andres

AllIWantIsLove
02-05-06, 12:16
(First, Gracias Andres.)

Some tips on using the local bus system. (based on exactly two experiences)

Buses don't have unique stops, I. E. One stop serves more than one route. So it's not good enough to be waiting at the bus stop. You also have to signal the driver as he approaches. You're thinking Duh! But us country boys know nothing about how to use buses!

Buses only take coins. You put your coins into a large metal box which is either to your left as you enter the bus or behind the driver. It's not very obvious where the coins go in. It's near the top and to the right. The box will spit out a small printed piece of paper. I have no idea what it is. Receipt? Transfer? Your horoscope?

I don't know if there is a way to signal that you want to be left off at the next stop. I saw one passenger tell the driver, and another just stood up at the exit. I don't like the idea of standing in a bus. I think it would be "me gustaría apearme (get off) a la próxima parada (at the next stop)". If you don't know the order of the stops I guess you could try saying "me gustaría apearme a name-of-cross-street" or "me gustaría apearme cerca de name-of-cross-street". (Hope you were paying attention; there will be a quiz tomorrow! Actually, my Spanish is pretty poor, so anyone who disagrees with me is probably right.)

To try to make this post as complete as possible I'll repeat the info posted by Andres, the route guide is called "Guía Peuser". I think I've also heard of a Guía T. I haven't seen either and do not know the difference.

Good Luck, Bob

Dickhead
02-12-06, 12:55
Guia T is the one I use. The little piece of paper is your TICKET and if there is an INSPECTION you will be fined if you do not have it, and could even be fined further if you don't have your passport with you. Not all routes have the coin slot in the same place, and on some routes you buy a ticket at the bus stop before boarding.

When you want to get off, press the buzzer located by the back door or doors. It will light up a light by the driver and he will stop at the next stop. Most drivers will also let you get out if they are stopped at a light or in traffic and are in the far right lane. Many will also pick you up under those circumstances even if you aren't at an official bus stop. Get off the back of the bus, not out the front door.

95% of the drivers are very friendly and helpful. The bus system rules.

Andres
02-12-06, 21:53
The box will spit out a small printed piece of paper. I have no idea what it is. Receipt? Transfer? Your horoscope?

I don't know if there is a way to signal that you want to be left off at the next stop. I saw one passenger tell the driver, and another just stood up at the exit. I don't like the idea of standing in a bus. I think it would be "me gustaría apearme (get off) a la próxima parada (at the next stop)". If you don't know the order of the stops I guess you could try saying "me gustaría apearme a name-of-cross-street" or "me gustaría apearme cerca de name-of-cross-street". (Hope you were paying attention; there will be a quiz tomorrow! Actually, my Spanish is pretty poor, so anyone who disagrees with me is probably right.Bob:

As DH said, it is your receipt and you may need it when an inspaection. Last but not least, it is your insurance against any accident you may experience in the bus (collision, etc)

I would use "Quiero bajarme en.". Apearme is usually used for horses or animals, at least in Buenos Aires. In your next trip, pay attention to a small buzz button close to the middle to back door. You press the button, a bell rings and the driver knows that someone is getting off at the next stop.

Hope this helps,

Andres

Dickhead
04-08-06, 06:18
After fucking a nice plump chica from Catto's in the Horizonte, I accidentally went to the Temple Bar for a Jameson's on the rocks. I then boarded the #152 bus at Marcelo T de Alvear between Suipacha and Carlos Pellegrini. This bus comes from Retiro and was fairly empty at the time of boarding, approximately 3:30 AM.

We then proceeded west and an unbelievable number of good looking women began to board the bus. Pretty soon, as Exon would say, I Had Wood. Several boarded between Libertad and Talcahuano. We then passed El Living aka 1980s Living and it was amazing to see that no one was leaving and there was still a line to enter.

Passing UBA (University of Buenos Aires) a number of lovelies boarded. Many appeared to be mildly intoxicated to visibly intoxicated. One was wearing a very short plaid skirt, dark stockings, and what looked like Joe Lapchick Playmakers. She Sat facing backwards, which was facing me, about three rows away. She did the chica thing where when they know their skirt is too short they put their hand in their lap. But then she also began to intermittently push her (lush long dark) hair out of her eyes and when that happened I could see all the way to Tierra del Fuego if ya know what I mean.

So then my vision improved even more since my dick was so hard I no longer had enough skin left to even blink my eyes. I tried to note where the most good looking young women boarded. In the 3100 block of Guemes, even numbered side, there is some bar like Maria Maria or Ave Maria or Jesus Fucking Maria and the gals that boarded there were unbelievable. One had cornrows and was like 5 foot 10 and 101 pounds so if you have a waif fetish she would do nicely.

Next there was a "Palermo Club" on Luis Borges I think 2460 but half a block south of Santa Fe in any case. No really cute ones boarded there although there was one I wanted to fuck but most of you would think she had too much junk in the trunk. But the ones waiting for some of the other bus routes were so good I thought about getting off there anyway even though I was still a long way from the crib.

Now at Plaza Italia, several doables boarded. One was about 26 years old, with low cut jeans and a nice tight white sweater. She came right over to my seat (which was across from the exit for convenient viewing) and hung onto the rail. I, being a gentleman as well as a Dickhead and a scum sucking pig, offered her my seat. She declined. I began a conversation and realized that she was wearing Red Door. I identified her perfume and she was simulataneously very flattered and extremely alarmed. Then someone got off, freeing up a seat, and she moved and Sat down. Bummer. This chick was pretty close to a 9, maybe 8.7, and I was (fairly) sober.

Finally I got off in Zona Norte and began to walk home along Carlos Melo. I ran into a group of five VERY drunk YOUNG women, walking along, singing; not a care in the world. As I approached they all started saying / singing "Las chicas, las chicas." I am 99% sure this had nothing to do with me and something to do with a prior conversation they were having. But I said, "Si' las chicas, chicas rrrre linda tambie'n." They did not get all haughty as in SP and laughed and continued on their merry way.

Further down Melo there was a group of youths or young adults hanging out on the corner, not causing any trouble, like SIX gals and two guys. At least three were 7.5 or above. This is 4 AM in a tranquil suburban neighborhood. Last but not least, three gals ranging from 6 to 8 passed me near Segurola and we exchanged pleasantries, stopping and commenting on how nice a night it was, and so forth. Contrast that with the behavior you would anticipate at such an hour in such a situation in SP.

So by the time I got home I was walking like a penguin and as Exon might say, I may Have to Wack Off.

ComeOnDown
05-08-06, 13:17
Dickhead's report was spot on. I take a break from riding the taxis and take the collectivo and the subte once in a while just to oggle at the chicas. You'll get an eyefull of pretty girls especially during rush hour. In my experience the green line of the metro and buses plying the Sta. Fe / MT Alvear route has the best looking chica commuters in Buenos Aires.

Saba2
08-24-06, 12:51
I think it is possible to develop a simple map that would show the major lines for travel in the basic areas tourists go. An overlay on a street map. I would work on this if we could find a guy that has the talent to design it. I would like to use it to raise funds for children using ads around the side. What do you think?

==========================================

Hi Saba2,

What surprises me is that there isn't already such a map online somewhere. However, after the taxi strike of a couple of weeks ago I decided to give the bus system a closer look, and I searched the internet for said maps with no success.

Thanks,

Jackson

Walnuts
09-12-06, 04:27
This excellent site gives the raw data for your colectivo map. The site also has a bunch of useful train / bus information (in spanish)

http://www.xcolectivo.com.ar/colectivo/index.html

The government interactive map used to (last year) give colectivo information but doesn't seem to give that information anymore. It may work again in the future. Other functions work well. For those who haven't tried it, you should turn on the color aerial view.

http://mapa.buenosaires.gov.ar/sig/index.phtml

Good luck with your project.

I think it is possible to develop a simple map that would show the major lines for travel in the basic areas tourists go. An overlay on a street map. I would work on this if we could find a guy that has the talent to design it. I would like to use it to raise funds for children using ads around the side. What do you think?

==========================================

Hi Saba2,

What surprises me is that there isn't already such a map online somewhere. However, after the taxi strike of a couple of weeks ago I decided to give the bus system a closer look, and I searched the internet for said maps with no success.

Thanks,

Jackson

Aqualung
11-18-06, 01:25
Hi Saba2,

Thanks,

Jackson[/blue]I suggest you buy a COMPUMAP cd and install in your computer. It's a map of BA that has a few interesting features like you can type in the address you are at and the address you want to go to and then you have three options - on foot - by car - by bus.

This last option will give you a list of the buses that will take you, listing off the streets the run along. And you can print the map to take along with you.

The map also tells you the nearst post offices, police stations, hospitals etc etc to the address you chose.

It's good for BA city and most neighbourhoods in Gran Buenos Aires.

This CD can be bought at most newspaper stands. At one time it was distributed by Clarin newspaper.

Guiller
03-23-07, 16:13
Hi,

A few links with bus lines information:

www.loscolectivos.com.ar

www.xcolectivo.com.ar

www.comoviajo.com (this link might be down)

These could be used along with:

www.endondequeda.com

www.cybermapa.com.ar

www.mapred.com

All the best

StrayLight
08-01-07, 17:53
With the doom-and-gloom forecasts of inflation and vastly increased taxi fares, good information on using the colectivos is probably in order.

StrayLight
08-01-07, 17:55
Here's a guide to using the Guia-T for finding the colectivo that's best for you:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g312741-c5232/Buenos-Aires:Argentina:How.To.Use.A.Public.Bus.In.Buenos.Aires.html

El Perro
08-01-07, 18:24
Here's a guide to using the Guia-T for finding the colectivo that's best for you:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g312741-c5232/Buenos-Aires:Argentina:How.To.Use.A.Public.Bus.In.Buenos.Aires.htmlExcellent. I have been using colectivos for a long time, and just recently started using the subte more. Thing is, if you get damn good with the colectivo routes, you won't have to trek to the subte station. Between the two, you can get around town for next to nothing. And, they are not that slow, especially the subte.

Redondo
08-01-07, 18:33
Excellent. I have been using colectivos for a long time, and just recently started using the subte more. Thing is, if you get damn good with the colectivo routes, you won't have to trek to the subte station. Between the two, you can get around town for next to nothing. And, they are not that slow, especially the subte.If you live near to a station and you have to go far away near to a station it's probably faster then a cab.

Try to avoid rush hours if you can .

Exon123
08-01-07, 19:18

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g312741-c5232/Buenos-Aires:Argentina:How.To.Use.A.Public.Bus.In.Buenos.Aires.htmlThank You StrayLight that's valuable information I'll use soon.

Exon

Easy Go
08-01-07, 21:19
Beware of pickpockets on both the subte and collectivos. Especially in the crush at the door when you are exiting.

They are both packed during prime time.

StrayLight
08-07-07, 01:42
This basically amounts to an electronic Guia-T:

http://www.comoviajo.com

Click on ¿QUE ME TOMO?, then enter the information for ORIGEN and DESTINO (use "Capital Federal" for Localidad)

You'll get all the buses and subte combinations that will take you from where you are to where you want to go.

There's more to the site, too, but that appears to address the colectivo issue.

Jaimito Cartero
08-07-07, 04:23
Beware of pickpockets on both the subte and collectivos. Especially in the crush at the door when you are exiting.

They are both packed during prime time.They hit me when entering the subte car last year.

Tequila Tim
11-21-10, 10:01
Hey Gang,

Here's a useful web link to maps of BA with colored highlights of individual colectivo routes. The map can be manipulated for scale and I find it quite useful:

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.masmapas.com/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dlinea%2B59%2Bbuenos%2Baires%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4TSND_en___US402&rurl=translate. Google. Com&usg=ALkJrhgufjNccneDFEMCf1UuDbJrgOI6NA

Since the "ida" and "regreso" routes are shown on each map, I usually have a guia handy to determine the direction of the lines. For example, on the 152 line the "ida" runs along Marcelo de Alvear while the "regreso" along Santa Fe in the Barrio Norte area. When looking at the colored map, zoom in on this area of the route to determine the direction of each colored route. In this case ida would be the red line while regreso would be the blue. If you were headed to Palermo from MC, in this case use the red line to see where in Palermo the 152 would take you.

I'd be interested if this relationship is consistent (i.e. red line always "ida").

Hope this helps,

Tim

================================================================

Here's the direct link, just in case anyone wants to peruse the maps without the "benefit" of the google translator:

http://www.masmapas.com/

Thanks,

Jackson

Exon123
11-21-10, 23:22
Hey Gang,

Here's a useful web link to maps of BA with colored highlights of individual colectivo routes. The map can be manipulated for scale and I find it quite useful:

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.masmapas.com/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dlinea%2B59%2Bbuenos%2Baires%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4TSND_en___US402&rurl=translate. Google. Com&usg=ALkJrhgufjNccneDFEMCf1UuDbJrgOI6NA

Since the "ida" and "regreso" routes are shown on each map, I usually have a guia handy to determine the direction of the lines. For example, on the 152 line the "ida" runs along Marcelo de Alvear while the "regreso" along Santa Fe in the Barrio Norte area. When looking at the colored map, zoom in on this area of the route to determine the direction of each colored route. In this case ida would be the red line while regreso would be the blue. If you were headed to Palermo from MC, in this case use the red line to see where in Palermo the 152 would take you.

I'd be interested if this relationship is consistent (I. E. Red line always "ida".

Hope this helps,

Tim.

================================================================

Here's the direct link, just in case anyone wants to peruse the maps without the "benefit" of the google translator:

http://www.masmapas.com/

Thanks,

JacksonExcellent post Tim.

Exon

Spassmusssein
11-21-10, 23:43
RETIREMENT means RETIRO in reallife.

Sysco234
11-22-10, 12:54
The following is a new version of one listed in the 2006 post. It let's you enter 2 addresses and determine which colectivo is best for you to take. Also allows you to switch directions for the return trip (Ida / Vuelta.

http://mapa2.buenosaires.gov.ar

Sysco

Lucas90
12-19-12, 19:48
Guys who live here will know this, but no mention yet in this thread about the tarjeta 'Sube' which I used on a recent visit. A friendly chica who uses the colectivos to get home after work tipped me off about it. I picked up mine for 15 pesos at the locutorio in Las Heras 2180 in Recoleta which opens until 9pm. Took less than a minute to buy the thing. You can get the tarjeta (plastic card) from most post offices (correo) but I avoid these as the queues are even worse than in England. It works like the BIP card in Santiago or the Oyster in London. Good for use on the buses and the Subte. You charge it up at the outlet you buy it from (I put 10 pesos on for starters) then at any locutorio or lottery shop showing the Sube posters. Saves fumbling for coins, you touch it against the card reader on the front of the bus located by the windscreen as you get in, and the fare is deducted from your pre-paid balance. NB You need to tell the driver what fare you want, before holding the card to the touch pad. One peso twenty ('uno veinte') is good for local journeys. Didn't have time to research what the cost would be for longer bus trips. If you're too quick and touch the card before the driver has registered your fare, the reader tells you the card is invalid. Buses seem to come along quickly here, not keen on taxis anyway so it's a way to save some money. Downside is you have to register your tarjeta over the internet within 30 days of purchase or they may cancel it. For big brother reasons I never register the cards I use in my home city, but wouldn't have a problem doing so for a short trip here.

Other members have posted elsewhere some useful links showing how to get from A to B on the colectivos. Guessing one of these would show the price plan and the zones.

WorldTravel69
05-13-13, 13:04
http://www.omnilineas.com.ar/buenos-aires/colectivo/linea-59/

Hi,

A few links with bus lines information:

www.loscolectivos.com.ar

www.xcolectivo.com.ar

www.comoviajo.com (this link might be down)

These could be used along with:

www.endondequeda.com

www.cybermapa.com.ar

www.mapred.com

All the best

TejanoLibre
05-13-13, 16:06
Guys who live here will know this, but no mention yet in this thread about the tarjeta 'Sube' which I used on a recent visit. A friendly chica who uses the colectivos to get home after work tipped me off about it. I picked up mine for 15 pesos at the locutorio in Las Heras 2180 in Recoleta which opens until 9pm. Took less than a minute to buy the thing. You can get the tarjeta (plastic card) from most post offices (correo) but I avoid these as the queues are even worse than in England. It works like the BIP card in Santiago or the Oyster in London. Good for use on the buses and the Subte. You charge it up at the outlet you buy it from (I put 10 pesos on for starters) then at any locutorio or lottery shop showing the Sube posters. Saves fumbling for coins, you touch it against the card reader on the front of the bus located by the windscreen as you get in, and the fare is deducted from your pre-paid balance. NB You need to tell the driver what fare you want, before holding the card to the touch pad. One peso twenty ('uno veinte') is good for local journeys. Didn't have time to research what the cost would be for longer bus trips. If you're too quick and touch the card before the driver has registered your fare, the reader tells you the card is invalid. Buses seem to come along quickly here, not keen on taxis anyway so it's a way to save some money. Downside is you have to register your tarjeta over the internet within 30 days of purchase or they may cancel it. For big brother reasons I never register the cards I use in my home city, but wouldn't have a problem doing so for a short trip here.

Other members have posted elsewhere some useful links showing how to get from A to B on the colectivos. Guessing one of these would show the price plan and the zones.Fuck the cabs!

If your here a month and you stay in Palermo then you will waste at least 100 a day on cabs and that's about 3 grand for Chica Time!

TL.

BigMic
09-27-15, 00:10
During rush hour gridlock the subway is the only way to get around quick, although usually crowded. Most 24 hr kiosks, including the one near AA departures at EZE have ATM like machines where you can charge up your card, as well as adding cellular minutes. Cards good for all local buses as well as the subway. Even for the language challenged it's easy to use, just tell the driver where you're going and put the card flat on the reader. Can pick up a copy of GUIA-T for 25p at any newstand which details the bus lines by location (www.guiat-digital.com.ar).

Daddy Rulz
09-27-15, 00:32
During rush hour gridlock the subway is the only way to get around quick, although usually crowded. Most 24 hr kiosks, including the one near AA departures at EZE have ATM like machines where you can charge up your card, as well as adding cellular minutes. Cards good for all local buses as well as the subway. Even for the language challenged it's easy to use, just tell the driver where you're going and put the card flat on the reader. Can pick up a copy of GUIA-T for 25p at any newstand which details the bus lines by location (www.guiat-digital.com.ar).If you're at home (the do have a mobile site if you're not) Just click where you are and where you're going and it tells you what to take. Busses, trains, subways.

http://www.omnilineas.com.ar/buenos-aires/colectivos/

El Perro
09-27-15, 11:41
If you're at home (the do have a mobile site if you're not) Just click where you are and where you're going and it tells you what to take. Busses, trains, subways.

http://www.omnilineas.com.ar/buenos-aires/colectivos/User friendly. A great resource.