PDA

View Full Version : El Mirasol

Hunt99
04-14-06, 11:09
There are several locations for this parrilla in Buenos Aires. The ones I know are in Puerto Madero and the second in Recova (intersection of Posadas and 9 de Julio, tucked under an overpass) Traditionally this has been one of my favorite upscale steakhouses in town, and the scene of my last meal before heading out to the airport. It is good, consistent, and for Buenos Aires, on the pricey side. It's continuing this history.

I ate there recently, had the following gorge session: 1 empanada, 1 chorizo, 1/2 bottle of Malbec, agua, 1/2 an order of grilled sweetbreads (they do it better than anybody else in town, IMO - cooked to a light crunch but not dried out) and a 300g lomo. Topped off with a flan casero with dulce de leche. After gaining the customary 5 pounds by eating like a pig being led to slaughter (which I was, in a way, since I was headed directly back from the restaurant straight to sex prison) I was presented with the bill: about 100 pesos. The food was consistently excellent, the service correct and friendly. Whether it's worth the price to you is your call. It is for me, since the same meal at Morton's would run me 100 bucks.

Given the dropoff in quality I've seen at Cabana Las Lilas over my last couple of trips (I didn't even eat at Cabana once this trip, which is a first) I would have to now give this place the nod as being the best upscale parrilla in town.

http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/detail.php?ID=891

Exon123
04-14-06, 12:15
One Of Exon's Favorites, Can't Go Wrong Here

Hunt99
04-14-06, 14:04
Just looked at my receipt - it was actually 115 pesos, plus a tip, of course. Damn inflation, it crept up 15% since my last post.

Hunt99
10-18-06, 10:49
Had lunch at the Puerto Madero location this week. Quality seems to be still good, but prices continue a steady, upward climb. Obviously this is the fault of all the stupid Yankee tourists who come here and pay the inflated prices. They should stick to paying 15 pesos for lomo and should stop ruining this restaurant for all the local diners.

I was chatting with a table full of businessmen who were straight off the plane for their first visit to Buenos Aires. They were amazed at this place. I was just happy, and would return, but keep in mind that this is one of the pricer steakhouse alternatives in BsAs.

Exon123
10-18-06, 14:14
Hunt 99,

A suggestion for You if You like Italain food.

Try the place directly across the street from El Marsiol on Posadas in Recoleta. Its very near the 4 Seasons Hotel underneath the over pass, we've both been their together.

I can't remember the name but its excellent.

Its not for everyone since most of the Mongers that post here are "Cheap Class less MotherFuckers" and really don't have the capacity to enjoy fine dinning. Knowning You personally and having dined You in many of Buenos Aires's finest restruants I think You'll like it.

Also for lunch, of all places, try Patito Bullrich.

Go to the second floor from the Posadas entrance. Theres a wine and cheese shop up their that makes sandwich's at lunch time. Argueably the best salami and cheese sandwich in the "World". Its really a great experience since while your dining and drinking your wine. You can watch the most beautiful women of Buenos Aires walk around shopping.

But there again, its not for most of Mongers on this board. They have security their and once your identified as a "CockSucker" their gona 86 You pronto.

Exon

Hunt99
10-18-06, 19:33
Exon, thanks for the tip. There are actually two Italian places in Recova, Piegari, which I reviewed today, and Sorrento, directly across the street. Sorrento also has a branch in Puerto Madero. Member #3313 has written very well of Sorrento, and he has good taste.

Thanks for the tip on the sandwich shop. I will check it out, and will avoid being fingered as a "cock sucker." Maybe they will discover I am an occasional "pussy sucker," but that's OK, isn't it?:p

Exon123
10-18-06, 22:05
Hunt 99,

Its Sorrento, directly across the street from El Marisol in Recoleta on Posadas.

Excellent, you'll enjoy it.

You'll be just fine, since I know by information & belief your "Not" a CockSucker and will be welcome in both places. The MotherFuckers are CockSuckers arn't welcome in either place.

Exon

El Aleman
10-19-06, 10:13
There is a third one: "sotto il ponte". It might be new, I have eaten there 2 weeks ago and it was just delicious. Rather modern cuisine, not the heavy stuff as in Sorrento, also nice, stylish surroundings.

I think I started with home marinated salmon, followed by a perfect rack of lamb.

Highly recommended.

To end the confusion about what is where in La Recova, the following map:

Piegari I I.
Vitello e I Sorrento I Sotto il.
Dulce I I Ponte.
I I.
Recoleta ================================
=
Casa I Piegari I El Mirasol II
Mayor I I II.
9 de Julio.

Buen Provechio.

El Alemán.

Who gained 3 kg during his last stay, meaning that the eat / fuck ratio was too far on the eat side!

PS: shit, the forum software throws out my spaces.

BadMan
10-29-06, 04:40
Went to El Mirasol today,

Me and my guest sat outside, I ordered the filet mignon "a punto" and my guest ordered the chicken, I had mashed potatoes and my guest had french fries. The steak that came to my table was unbelievable, It was litteraly a 2 pound tenderloin, It was the biggest filet mignon I have ever had, I was wondering why the waiter asked if I was going to share my dish with my guest, It is easily enough for two people. It was basically three times the size of a filet mignon at Houstons, and the side dishes are also made for 2. The only problem I had with my steak was that it wasn't a punto it was very rare towards the middle, but the quality of beef was very good, and I ate it all the same because even though I love my steaks cooked medium well, I am a carnivor after all and I would never turn down such a fine side of beef. My filet mignon was about 80 AR, my side was 13 AR, My guests chicken was like 20 AR and their side was also about 13 AR, we had waters and some bubbly that was on the house, all in all the bill came out to about 150 AR plus a 20 AR tip, total 170 for a great meal.

I would go back anytime for a great steak, but I will be sure to let them know they have to cook my steak a little bit more

David_33
10-29-06, 15:07
To get it 3/4 done you might ask them to butterfly it. Since the cut is so thick it invariably comes out rare in the middle if it isn't opened up when grilling.

Hunt99
10-29-06, 15:32
Good point, David. That 80 peso filet mignon at El Mirasol is huge, like a brick. Very good stuff, but pricey, especially for Buenos Aires.

BadMan
10-29-06, 15:53
Very good point David, I was thinking I should ask them to butterfly it, but because of the shape of the cut I was wondering how it would come out, But yes next time I will be sure to ask them to butterfly it. And you are right Hunt, for BA standards, it is the priciest steak I have had, but if you take into account the fact that it's basically like three uncut filets in one, its really not that much. That is how I look at it, or that it's probably a cut that is meant for two. I don't know but it was huge, and it was good, next time I will probably share it. There were alot of Argies there, and what I saw a table of four doing is they ordered two salads, two main dishes and two apetizers. So I am guessing their theory is share everything since the portions are soo big.

Kurt Run
12-10-07, 13:10
Thanks to you guys for bringing this restaurant to my attention. I have visited the restaurant on my last trip to Buenos Aires, and I was amazed with the quality and the price is definitely ok for me. Good quality is important to me, and the "lomo" was exceptional (from my point of view at least) I also liked the different kind of sides they offer, especially the different kinds of potatos.

Only problem: now that I know what a good steak really tastes like, I am having a hard time going to the steakhouses back home, since don't come close to El Mirasol.

Quick78
03-30-09, 16:13
This was the first restaurant I ate it on my first trip to be. A. Sadly, the food left much to be desired. I ordered the skirt steak, cooked well done and it was still bloody. The service was pretty terrible too (I was there for lunch, I should have not even sat down seeing how there was hardly anyone there)

The meal wasn't too expensive but for the quality, I should have paid less. I was very worried that if all the meals were going to be like this, I would have to resort to eating McDonalds, or even at the rare Puerto Madero Burger King.

Luckily I found much better restaurants, most of them being smaller and costing much less.

I would not go back to El Mirasol.

Amantelondres
03-31-09, 12:55
Which branch did you go to? I often eat at the Recova branch and find it faultless. Excellent meat, though a bit on the expensive side

Quick78
03-31-09, 13:07
which branch did you go to? I often eat at the Recova branch and find it faultless. Excellent meat, though a bit on the expensive sidePuerto Madero branch. Didn't even know there was more than 1 location. If I knew that, I would have gone elsewhere.