PDA

View Full Version : La Churrasquita - Ave Corrientes 1220

Jackson
04-29-06, 14:41
La Churrasquita is on Ave Correnties just a couple of blocks from 9 de Julio, right in the middle of Buenos Aire's theater district. They've been in business for more than 50 years, having been remodeled approximately 4 years ago from the traditional wood motif to a now more modern design.

Nine of us arrived at approximately 10pm without a reservation, and given that the place was almost full, there just didn't seem to be any possible place to seat all of us together. No problem, the head waiter and his staff sprang into action and put a table together for us in a matter of 5 minutes.

Here's where La Churrasquita really stands out. I've eaten there several times, and the service is nothing less than outstanding, expecially to those of us who live herein BA and are often dismayed at the inattentive service that one experiences in many restaurants here. Within a matter of five minutes, 4 waiters had arranged and set our tables, taken our drink orders and served our drinks. The secret: They don't wait and let one waiter handle the entire table. Instead, each of the four waiters set two places and took two drink orders and returned within a minute with those orders. (I'm not kidding, within 60 seconds, including the ice) Of course the fast service didn't stop there, but it's an indication of what level they're operating at.

La Churrasquita offers all the traditional Argentina fare, along with a number of fish entries including grilled salmon and grilled or baked trout served in several different ways. For appetizers we ordered the usual provoletas and chorizos, both of which were very well done. The chorizos were large, thick and very juicy. In fact, next time I'll only recommend one chorizos for every two guests.

I personally had the Bife de Americano, which was a bife de chorizo topped with slick slice of bacon and an egg, surrounded on one side with an order of genuine onion rings and on the other side with fresh, real potato chips garnished with green peas. Talk about a heart attack waiting to happen!

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the salsa criolla and the chimichurri. Both were obviously freshly prepared and signifigantly better that what I assume is the canned varieties that some restaurants serve.

The total bill for nine diners, including three bottles of wine, came to $550.00, or $70 pesos each with the tip.

Later we all walked a few blocks down Correnties and up to Excedra for coffee, conversation and eyecandy, everyone slowly splitting off as they spotted something of interest. The inventory at Excedra on that night was better than average, I having spotted a couple of items that even hit my minimum.

La Churrasquita.
Ave Corrientes 1220
4382-1354 / 4382-9466

Jackson