PDA

View Full Version : Calling or Faxing: FROM the USA --> TO Argentina

Jackson
01-01-05, 01:00
Thread Starter.

One Tree Hill
04-22-05, 01:48
$30 a month can do exactly what you need. I used it 2 weeks ago on my 2 week vacation...see this thread:

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1924&highlight=vonage

You call and receive calls as if you were at home. Its that easy. You can even get an 800 number for clients for addtnl fees. Check it out at:

www.vonage.com

If you decided to get it, let me know first so I can get a referal :)

OTH

Metkim
05-21-05, 19:06
I must be an idiot, but can someone tell me how to call a cell phone in Argentina?

I have dialed 011-54-911-15-5780xxxx. Is this correct?

Someone please help.

Hi Metkim,

You don't need to dial the "15". The "11" substitutes for the local "15" prefix for cell phones.

011-54-911-5780xxxx

BTW, I think that this question would have been better positioned as a post under the "Telephone Services" thread instead of as a new thread here.

Thanks,

Jackson

ChicagoBoy23
06-18-05, 13:52
T-mobile GSM works fine in BA.

Darien
11-26-05, 23:25
Fellow Members:

If anyone knows, please tell me how to send a text message between cell phones from the USA to Argentina and from Argentina to the USA. In particular, I would like to know using a T-Mobile cell in the USA.

I know how to call cell phones from the USA to Argentina. For phone calls the sequence is as follow:

011 - 54 - 9 - (city code) - (cell number excluding the initial two digits 15)

Where:

011 = international line access from the USA.

54 = Argentina country code.

9 = code indicating the call is to a cell phone.

City code = for example Buenos aires is 11

I would appreciate knowing the sequences for sending text messages between the two countries.

Probably Sir Jackson knows how to do it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Darien

El Greco
11-28-05, 17:32
Fellow Members:

If anyone knows, please tell me how to send a text message between cell phones from the USA to Argentina and from Argentina to the USA. In particular, I would like to know using a T-Mobile cell in the USA.

I know how to call cell phones from the USA to Argentina. For phone calls the sequence is as follow:

DarienI am sending messages from every place I am visiting.

You just send it using the same phone number as for calling.

The problem is that is necessary your cell company to have a commercial.

Agreement for text messages too with the company you are going to use while abroad.

Inquire them before you go.

El Greco

MoonDog
11-29-05, 02:03
Fellow Members:

011 - 54 - 9 - (city code) - (cell number excluding the initial two digits 15)

Where:

011 = international line access from the USA.

9 = code indicating the call is to a cell phone.

City code = for example Buenos aires is 11

I would appreciate knowing the sequences for sending text messages between the two countries.Darien,

From the USA use the numbers 011-54-11-XXXX-XXXX, where X is the telephone number of the person that you are sending a message too. This works for Personal in Argentina and Cingular in the U.S. Do not use spaces or hyphens for this number.

As El Greco points out, each carrier is different, and you have to make sure that T-Mobile has an agreement for text messages in Argentina. Each carrier in Argentina has their own way of receiving them as well. So once you have found out that T Mobile has an agreement, just try sending messages until you find a way that works.

Moondog

MoonDog
11-29-05, 02:29
My experience with DSL is limited, but of the computers that I have used with DSL, a separate connection has to be made. This is unlike cable, which is always on.

If only DSL is available, does the DSL have to be connected and on before the telephone will work?

Thanks,

Moondog

El Aleman
11-29-05, 10:10
Moondog,

DSL requires a telephone line, it uses the wires of an existing phone line and transmits the data on frequencies above the phone's audio band. The telephone however does not have to "work". The line just has to be hooked up to the DSL equipment in the exchange, and you have to connect your DSL router or modem to the line via a "splitter" that separates DSL and phone frequencies.

Btw. Technically DSL is also always on, like a cable connection. It is only that to be able to charge DSL connections by time many providers put a protocol called PPPoE on top of that connection, that simulates dial in access - an anachronism in the time of flat rates, but it started that way and we probably will have to live with it. If you buy a router, this box will start the connection on demand and you again have the feeling of being always connected.

Hope that helps,

El Alemán

Savoy
11-29-05, 10:29
USB modems require dial in access (DSL) if you have a regular Dsl modem, then you can stay connected continuosly, besides that, usb modems don't come with a firewall, therefore your PC is subject to continious attacks over the net. The only plus about USB modems; is that they are cheaper. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Quester3
12-14-05, 06:27
Anyone know if the euro round plugs is more prevalent as socket types or is it the diagonal slash australia / argentina plug E type that is more common in Buenos Aires?

MoonDog
12-14-05, 07:18
Anyone know if the euro round plugs is more prevalent as socket types or is it the diagonal slash australia / argentina plug E type that is more common in Buenos Aires?Bring both adpaters, and probably two of each.

Moondog

AllIWantIsLove
01-19-06, 14:20
Ordered from Vonage and brought with me a Linksys RTP300. I did not bring the supplied adapter as it wouldn't have worked here. (And was glad not to as the damn thing weighs a ton. Bought an adapter here which had the same output voltage and amperage. Also bought the phone here to save some space and weight in my luggage.

The instructions give you a choice between plugging the thing into either your cable modem or your own router but do say what to do in a hotel. I think that I followed the directions for a cable modem.

Unfortunately I did not take notes so I don't recall how I solved the problem that at first the phone did not work. I think that it involved the fact that the hotel requires a password. Another problem was that my VPN connection to my office would not work initially. That one concerned me because the router's default is to allow IPSec Passthrough and PPTP Passthrough. But PPPoE Passthrough was not allowed by default, and when I enabled it my VPN connection worked.

Frankly I expected that I'd need some help from the hotel's Internet expert, but in the end I fumbled my way through it successfully by myself.

I am certainly more PC and Internet savy than the average bloke who carries a laptop around, so I cannot say how daunting this would have been for someone will a lot less PC / Internet knowledge.

Bob

Mpexy
05-09-06, 17:58
If you are dialing a cell phone in BA, Argentina - after your outbound country code you need to dial 54-911-XXXX-XXXX.

The 15-XXXX-XXXX form is only if you are dialing that cell from within Argentina.

MCSE
05-09-06, 18:04
For land line #s the correct way to call to Argentina is this:

+ 54 - 11 - 4777xxxx.

+ stands for your multicarrier.

54 is the international code for Argentina.

11 is Buenos Aires.

4777xxxx is the local number, some starts with 4 and others (few) with a 5

Always local numbers are 8

For calling a cellphone dial:

+ 54 - 911 - 555xxxxx.

So for cellphones the rule is to add a 9 before the 11 (when in Buenos Aires)

To call locally a cellphone you should dial 15-555xxxxx

Moore
08-20-06, 20:25
Calling a BsAs cell from any BsAs line is 15-xxxx-xxxx.

From a foreign country to BsAs cell its +54 9 11 xxxx-xxxx. Omit the 9 for calls to landlines.

You play with the prefix digits a little more calling to/from provincia, but the last 8 digits are always the same. IIRC, calling a BsAs cell from any Mar del Plata line is 011 15 xxxx-xxxx.

Hound
08-20-06, 21:27
Some landline phones in apartments require a calling card to call cellphones--but not other landlines. Telephonica most certain, not sure about telecom. Try a $5p calling card. My guess it will work.

JustGotBack
08-22-06, 00:45
Thanks guys. I was dialing the 15 prefix but it would pop up an error before I even finished dialing. I guess my apt phone doesn't allow calling cells.

Diegoccs
01-17-07, 23:00
Hello Charles,

I had the same problem time ago, thankfully I saved the information:

You have to dial:

[International access code]-54-9-XX-[8 digit phone number]

[International access code] is the access code from your country (011 from the USA)

[8 digit phone number] are the digits after the 15.

---------------------------------------------------------

The coding in this dialing sequence is:

9 = Argentina mobile network code.

XX = Local area code (in your case 223, in BA it will be 11)

[phone number] = The actual mobile phone number, not including the 15, used only inside Argentina.

---------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps,

Diego

Easy Go
01-19-07, 07:18
As I understand it, unlike the normal caller-pays that applies to calls within Argentina, the receiver of the call gets charged something when they receive an international call. Therefore, the owner of the number has to enable receiving international calls.

Of course, my information might be complete crap but I've had multiple problems calling both wired and cell numbers in BA from the US even when the call was being dialed correctly.

AllIWantIsLove
02-08-07, 11:11
I am using a service from Yahoo which allows me to make telephone calls from my PC, using a mic and the PC's speakers, to regular telephones. The cost to call the US is 1 US cent per minute. The quality is perfectly acceptable. Sometimes I have been unable to signin to the service and I've had that problem persist for several hours. Hasn't been an issue for me, but might be if you were trying to call, i.e. Clients.

I tried to setup a similar service from Skype, but I was not able to use my debit card to fund the account. I suspect that they did not like a US debit card being used from Argentina.

Yahoo also has a service which can route telephone calls TO your PC, but I have not looked into that.

Bob

Moore
02-08-07, 23:56
Does anyone know if it is possible to call a toll free Argentine number from abroad? They are usually in the form 0-810-xxx-xxxx, which you can dial without any prefix throughout Argentina. I tried several prefix combinations from USA with no success.

Up until a few years ago you could not call US toll free numbers from Argentina; now you usually can but it's charged as a regular call.

Zallakab1
03-03-07, 20:27
I have been trying to call a cell phone in BA (Roxana) from the US and cannot get through. I am using the following sequence.

011 54 XXX-XXX-XXXX.

Any suggestions.

Thanks.

Carlos.

Montevideo Mongerer

Hunt99
03-03-07, 21:17
I have been trying to call a cell phone in BA (Roxana) from the US and cannot get through. I am using the following sequence.

011 54 XXX-XXX-XXXX.

Any suggestions.

Thanks.

Carlos.

Montevideo Mongerer011-54-911-5103-3905

Tessan
04-22-08, 17:48
Thats not correct.

00-54-911-5109-3905

GreetingsFrom Inside the USA its 011, for international.

From other places its 00. When I call the US I use 00. When I am in the US I use 011. It your using a cell phone then just us the + sign.

So 011-54-911-5103-3905 is correct from inside the USA.
From Europe or somewhere else, then it's 00-54-911-5109-3905
I used to call BA last year allot, to talk to a girl I met.

Jackson
07-03-09, 18:02
How to Make International Calls FROM the USA

The following dialing sequence is used to make international calls from the USA. It is necessary to get the country and, in some cases, city dialing codes for the location being dialed. These can be found on the country dialing code pages.

011 + (Country Dialing Code) + (City Dialing Code) + (Local Phone Number)

Note: The city dialing code is not always necessary.

===================================================

How to Make International Calls TO the USA

The country dialing code for the USA is 1. When international calls are made to the USA the following dialing convention is normally used.

00 - 1 - (USA Area Code) - (Local USA Phone Number)

The 00 dialed at the beginning of the sequence indicates an international call when dialed from many but not all countries. See the international dialing instructions on the individual country pages to find the international dialing code for making international calls from specific countries.

Stormy
12-11-09, 17:13
I can successfully call 15 prefix cell phones in Argentina 15-xxxx-xxxx from the United States by using 011-54-911-xxxx-xxxx. But when I try to call a cell phone with a prefix of 11, 11-xxxx-xxxx using the same method, I get a message that I am in the Personal System but now I need to put in the basic number and the area code without 15 or zero, which I try to do, but without result. I have tried all sorts of combinations when the automated response comes, but without result. Anybody have any experience with this?

Thank you

Sportsman
12-11-09, 21:26
Stormy,

I have cell phone numbers stored as 15-XXXX-XXXX on my cell phone contact list, but some of them come in as 11-XXXX-XXXX on the caller ID. Did you try using 011-54-911-XXXX-XXXX even the cell number you got has a 11 prefix?

Stormy
12-12-09, 06:11
Stormy,

I have cell phone numbers stored as 15-XXXX-XXXX on my cell phone contact list, but some of them come in as 11-XXXX-XXXX on the caller ID. Did you try using 011-54-911-XXXX-XXXX even the cell number you got has a 11 prefix?Yes, that seems just to get me to the Personal system as I said. It works fine for 15 type cell phone numbers but not the 11 ones, at least in my case.

Kevins
12-13-09, 17:44
Try from states 011 54 11 then eight digit number

JoeyDude
01-11-15, 09:30
I just got into town and having lots if problems contacting girls from various websites. I figured I would just use whatsapp to text them but numbers never seem to go through, if the number is say 15-6251-5935, should I be adding a 54 in front of it. I am going nuts here!

Ricker
01-11-15, 12:15
I just got into town and having lots if problems contacting girls from various websites. I figured I would just use whatsapp to text them but numbers never seem to go through, if the number is say 15-6251-5935, should I be adding a 54 in front of it. I am going nuts here!Argentina is wierd with dialing from the US, especially to a cell.

I write girls on Whatsapp with the 15 prefix, your number above would be:

011-54-9-11-6251-5935.

JoeyDude
01-11-15, 12:47
Argentina is wierd with dialing from the US, especially to a cell.

I write girls on Whatsapp with the 15 prefix, your number above would be:

011-54-9-11-6251-5935.Ohh man that helps, I don't want to waste time writing to landlines, how can I tell if the number is a cell number?

Also, some sites just have a number like 4328-9425, how would I write them on whatsapp?

Thanks so much

Sportsman
01-11-15, 18:18
Ohh man that helps, I don't want to waste time writing to landlines, how can I tell if the number is a cell number?

Also, some sites just have a number like 4328-9425, how would I write them on whatsapp?

Thanks so muchIf the phone number starts with 15 and then 8 digits, then it is a BA cell phone line. If it only has eight digits, it is a landline. Only a cell phone with Whatsapp installed will show up on your Whatsapp contact. You can not contact a landline using Whatsapp.