PDA

View Full Version : Argentine Coffee

Moore
05-13-06, 19:27
Another thing I like is I'm a Coffee drinker and I hate Argentine Coffee, its too strong. Every morning when you get up theres a Pot of freshly brewed American Coffee there waiting for you. There is no such thing as "American Coffee". I have tasted brown water in USA a few times but never coffee. Most other countries I've travelled to such as Brazil, Argentina, and Italy serve coffee.

American coffee is the equivalent of putting one teaspoon of processed, frozen Amstel Light in a pint of water and calling it a beer.

Dickhead
05-13-06, 21:51
I am in agreement with Moore on coffee and will further state that it frustrates me that all the bagged coffee in the grocery stores has 10% sugar mixed in.

El Perro
05-13-06, 21:59
I am in agreement with Moore on coffee and will further state that it frustrates me that all the bagged coffee in the grocery stores has 10% sugar mixed in.No wonder that shit was horrible. I go to Bonafide now. Any other coffee buying options out there?

MCSE
05-13-06, 22:16
I am in agreement with Moore on coffee and will further state that it frustrates me that all the bagged coffee in the grocery stores has 10% sugar mixed in.You should get the ones with the label "100% cafe, no torrado" the mixed with sugar always have somewhere the label "cafe torrado" and it's the more common, almost every brand have a version of pure coffee and it's more expensive, the best one is segafredo (for me) and my favorite coffee store it's persicco (because I still have the italian taste)

Dickhead
05-14-06, 00:40
Thanks for the tip, but I have searched the entire coffee aisle at Carrefour and I don't see any other versions of the brands like La Morenita, Virginita, etc. That don't have sugar. I'll look for Segafredo and report back.

I'm not huge into coffee. If it's there I'll drink it but if it's not I don't care. Honestly I never drank coffee until I was 30 years old and then I went to Jamaica and tried some. I did get strung out on it for a while but now I can take it or leave it. Some days coffee, some days tea, some days yerba, some days are caffeine free. CBse is my favorite brand of yerba.

Moore
05-14-06, 02:33
I did not start drinking coffee until I was an adult either. To be more precise, not until I started travelling overseas.

I'm still not a heavy coffee drinker and usually only drink it under two conditions:

1) I have just finished lunch or dinner.
2) I am not in the USA.

Though I'm not an expert, I believe that the quality / taste of the coffee is a result of the process used to make it, just as much or more than the raw ingredient used. I see no resemblance between the coffee machines used here / Europe and the plastic MrCoffee toys used in USA. Never seen a coffee pot here, every little cup is made the instant it is served.

Exon123
05-14-06, 03:31
I'd like for you Coffee "CockSuckers" to understand something.

Exon's, an Alcoholic, he's not in deinal, I know what I am.

Exon drink's far more "Beefeaters" than is good for him each and every night.

Alcohol dries one's system out, therefore you need water to counter balance the alcohol.

Each and every morning, here in sex prison, I make an 8 cup pot of coffee using only 4 messures of coffee and drink the whole pot, sometimes more.

If I had 8 American sized Cup's of Argentine Coffee, I'd be "Jonesing" all over Buenos Aires everyday.

Thats the Reason, Coffee lovers.

Exon

Moore
05-14-06, 03:49
Alcohol dries one's system out, therefore you need water to counter balance the alcohol.Yes it does - causes cottonmouth among other effects. Thats why I drink tons of water after slamming too much alcohol. Whats the point of drinking warm coffee-colored water when you can just drink refreshing ice-cold water?

I could drink 8 full sized Argentine coffees no problem. Caffeine does not affect me at all. I just like the taste of real coffee, like pure chocolate amargo.

PS Why do you have to constantly call people "Cocksuckers", etc?

Hi Moore,

Good question. Exon, why do you like to call people "Cocksuckers"?

Thanks,

Jackson

Dickhead
05-14-06, 13:21
One good solution if one is an alcoholic who enjoys coffee is to drink coffee with alcohol in it. Jameson's, Bailey's, Kahlua, Jack Daniels, Creme de Cacao, or tequila are good choices.

But always drink a lot of water, every day, all day long, no matter what. MY ex wife was (is) a physician's assistant with a biology degree. She also liked to suck cock and swallow and she said coffee makes your semen more bitter (I didn't start drinking coffee until after we broke up) but that drinking lots of water makes it less bitter.

So that may be important for any of you who actually are Cock Suckers.

Exon123
05-14-06, 15:44
Actually most of the time when I use the word "CockSucker" its used in the context of terms of in "Dearment"

But there are exceptions, from time to time you'll run across a real CockSucker and I'm not talking about a person that like's to "suck Cock". I'm talking about a "CockSucker", a real "CockSucker". There a few of them out there you know.

There all type's for CockSuckers on this Plannet. Some CockSucker are good CockSuckers, some aren't.

For example I like beautiful lady CockSucker's and Don't much care for Men that really do Suck Cock.

CockSucker is a word much like "Bueno" in Spanish. It has many meaning depending on the context its used in, Entendo CockSuckers.

Exon

Hunt99
05-14-06, 18:48
I drink two big cups of steaming hot coffee every morning. That's CUPS, damn you, not those stupid thimbles they call "copas de cafe" in Buenos Aires.

Then, after finishing my two cups of coffee, I immediately take a nice big shit. The coffee works like a charm. Because of it I have the healthiest and most predictable bowels in North America.

I drink it a number of ways, no anti-Mr. Coffee bias here. Of course, you have to be sure to drink only 100% Arabica beans. Costco sells the best value for quality all-Arabica coffee in the world. About $6 for a big cannister.

Hi Hunt,

That's more information that I needed to know.

Thanks,

Jackson

Moore
05-14-06, 19:16
Drink a full Argentine coffee and then take a dip of Skoal if you want to drop a nuclear bomb. Never fails.

Dickhead
05-14-06, 20:10
As the last two posts may have provided TMI for some of our more delicate readers, I am going to move the thread in a different direction (hopefully!):

What country has the best coffee? (It looks like members can no longer start polls, and anyway I don't think five options would suffice).

My vote is Costa Rica, followed by Jamaica and then very closely by Colombia.

As a side note, I sure wish Jackson's marvelous software would stop fucking with my perfectly correct use of the parenthesis.

Exon123
05-14-06, 20:20
I drink MJB 100% Colombian, if this has ahything to with Mongering.

Exon

El Perro
05-14-06, 21:03
I like the Colombian as well, but the Jamaican is not far behind. Don't know that I have had the pleasure of Costa Rican.

Moore
05-14-06, 22:28
I rate very few things as "best", but I will say that the coffee in Brasil is pretty good.

Bacchus9
05-14-06, 22:36
The great thing about coffee like wine and other consumables that come from different countries and microclimates is that you can have it to your taste. One man's floor is another's ceiling if you will.

Likewise I can't imagine buying it off the shelf in bags when you can go to shops that have fresh roasted coffee beans, found all over Barrio Norte and Recoleta at least.

My own preference it turns out after trying most of the options available here is something richer than Argentina likes to roast, dark french roast. Even the Italian espresso roasts here don't get close enough. So after some frank conversations at de Cafe at Puyreddon near Santa Fe they agreed to roast it to Dark French if I buy 1/2 kilo. About 24 pesos for 1/2 kilo roasted the way I like it and using relatively inexpensive beans, Brazilian Moka. It's deluxe. At a pot of coffee every morning except Sunday, the morning adjustment to the night before, it's about 1/2 kilo every two weeks or so. Sometimes friends join and we split a kilo or two. Having a 1/4 kilo is better because it stays fresh before used up.

Why can't you buy Dark French Roast like everything else? The self fulfilling rationale I love "Argentinos don't like it". Well how do they know they don't like it if they can't buy it? Right up there with spicy foods and trying to buy cheddar cheese. Ever try to buy good cheddar cheese? Generally you can't buy less than a whole wheel, because in Argentina the only way they use cheddar is to cut the top off, dig a hole in it and fill it with some god awful dip.

Back to the coffee and sex, nice way to say good bye to your chica in the morning over a cup of coffee.

Dickhead
05-14-06, 22:36
Since there is not a hair which Moore will not attempt to split, an alternative construct to my question could be:

Which country's coffee do you personally prefer?

Sheesh. Why don't you go try to split a **** hair?

Dickhead
05-14-06, 22:43
"Likewise I can't imagine buying it off the shelf in bags" ...

"Dark French if I buy 1/2 kilo. About 24 pesos for 1/2 kilo": this could be one possible answer to your above question as that is more than 3 times the cost of buying it off the shelf in bags.

Of course as always, value = quality divided by price, but sometimes we underpaid public servants in the helping professions have to acknowledge price constraints. Bummer for us, huh?

Moore
05-14-06, 23:23
Dickhead,

I was not meaning to break balls or anything. When someone asks whats my favorite song, I might tactfully say that I can name 10 or 30 that I love but can't pick a single one. When I say this, I am not trying to initiate any type of conflict.

Based on your posts, you are one of the most anal-retentive, nitpicky, irritable, hypercritical, stingy people that I have ever known of, and apparently getting worse every day. The only reason I mention this is because its seems quite odd for such a person to accuse someone else of being critical, as you just did me.

Dickhead
05-14-06, 23:49
I apologize if I mis-read your tone of "voice."

DownBA
05-15-06, 00:56
My favorite packaged coffee down there is Cafe Cabrales in the purple bag with the logo with the graphic of Don Juan, El Exigente of fine coffee on the label. Great stuff!

I really love mate cocido which you can find in tea bags in the supermarkets, with a little skim milk and a small teaspoon of sugar. I find that the mate cocido in "saquitos" doesn't leave you with the same bloated, full feeling cafe does and even though it's caffeine-free it seems to have some other ingredient that gets you going in the morning.

El Perro
05-15-06, 01:03
My favorite packaged coffee down there is Cafe Cabrales in the purple bag with the logo with the graphic of Don Juan, El Exigente of fine coffee on the label. Great stuff!

I really love mate cocido which you can find in tea bags in the supermarkets, with a little skim milk and a small teaspoon of sugar. I find that the mate cocido in "saquitos" doesn't leave you with the same bloated, full feeling cafe does and even though it's caffeine-free it seems to have some other ingredient that gets you going in the morning.Oooh man, I tried that purple bag stuff soon after moving here. Ouch. More power to you!

Dickhead
05-15-06, 01:53
What makes you think mate cocido is caffeine-free? All forms of yerba contain mateine, a chemical substance from the family of the xanteins, and its chemical structure is similar to that of caffeine.

There's some research out there that points to the use of mate as to why these Argies pound sugar and saturated fats yet have a lower obesity rate than gringos.

I found that when I first tried mate I got all nervous-jervous like five cups of strong coffee but now that I drink it a couple of times a week I don't notice it so much. Still, I limit my intake. Also it will give you the shits if you aren't used to it.

Overall I prefer it to coffee but I don't much like the Argie practice of sharing the straw. They don't do that in Uruguay, IME. I only like to share straws with chicas whose pussy I am going to eat and whose tongue I am going to gnaw on, not with whatever boludo happens to be around.

StrayLight
10-10-06, 21:04
I've been going to a little coffee roasting shop at Pueyrredon 1529 (just a few doors up from Arenales) that absolutely rocks when it comes to getting good coffee.

The name of the place is Establecimiento General de Cafe, and it's one of four located around the city (you can find the other locations at the web site: http://www.estcafe.com.ar/)

They have coffee from 17 different countries, and 22 different "tipos". They'll roast whatever you want to your specification, letting you taste the beans along the way if you choose. And then, of course, grind it to your specs, too.

I've been chatting up a plain-looking little barista named Mariana, and she'll pretty much make me anything I want if I decide to take it there. For instance, a cortado using dark French Roast is one of my standards.

No shit, there's no excuse for complaining about the coffee down here once you've checked this place out.

Enjoy.

SL

Bacchus9
10-11-06, 00:46
That's the place, De Cafe. Are they actually offering French Roast on the board? I got them to start roasting Brazilian Moka to Dark French Roast about a year ago. They also deliver, no charge, on a 1/2 kilo.

On the other hand I just brought back a pound of Peet's Dark French Roast from San Francisco. Whatever they do there it's hard to get up on that! Seriously good coffee.