PDA

View Full Version : Art Hotel or Wilton?

Digits
05-19-06, 11:59
Ok. It's getting close. I had four bookings for my long weekend in a couple of weeks and am down to two: the Art Hotel (a double at US 90) and the Wilton (at around US 70) Which one should I keep? Any feedback as to the pros and cons of either one is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Digits

Hunt99
05-19-06, 12:17
Use the search function for the numerous posts discussing these hotels, please.

Digits
05-19-06, 14:14
Thanks for the advice. In fact, I have done the search which has helped me narrow it down to these two. If I had to pick one now, I would go with the Art Hotel, but there are certainly points to be made in favor of the Wilton as well. Hence the question.

Thanks.

Digits

Orlandoirish
05-19-06, 14:32
Save the $90/ day and rent jackson apartment or another apartment. Wilton - you have the readheaded 55+ ***** who will charge you if you bring a girl up to room. The Wilton does not have any views.1st time they tried giving me twin bed, well @ 6'2" I didnt exactly fit, much less with a chica.

Next time I'm in BsAs, its either Jacksons apartment or the Mansion with Capt Dave.

Hope this helps.

Exon123
05-19-06, 17:57
Digits.

It doesn't take any brains to spend money, anybody and do that.

Get an Apartment, its that simple.

Exon

Digits
05-19-06, 19:08
I hear you Exon. I am not (and don't want to be) a big spender; that's for sure. For a long weekend though (and especially during a first trip to BA) it seems that going with an apartment may not be worth it, unless you feel comfortable enough with what you are going to get. Having said that, I did actually check and Jackson's apartment is not available for that period.

I periodically go to CTG and always rent an apartment there, whether I stay for two days or an entire week. I would guess that during my next trip to BA (after this one) I will go with an apt.

Thanks for the feedback.

Exon123
05-19-06, 20:39
Digits,

PM DickHead and see if theres room at the Manison.

Since its your first time in Buenos Aires your going to need a little help to see all there is to see. In other words you are going to need some direction.

He'll treat you right and it will be more fun than staying in a hotel by yourself.

Have Ana Luna pick you up at the airport and drive you right to the place.

But words of advice, don't let Dickhead take you to those Pirvato's he talks about. Go down town and get some "Good Pussy" LOL, LOL.

Exon

Daddy Rulz
05-20-06, 11:01
I stayed at the Wilton a lot and if you can get the room on the 14th floor, front tower with the double bed good deal. The afternoon girl on the front desk is a pain in the ass for chickas but otherwise can be helpfull. Any other rooms there are ok but nothing special.

Compared to Jacksons old bedroom at the mansion they suck though. I don't know Dave's rates for that room but I would recomend it. Plus you get access to the master monger himself DH. Don't be a DH yourself though or you will pay the price. Hint, if you drink beer, replace said drunken beer with new beer.

Short trainride to downtown on the Tigre train which has more poon on it than you can imagine, 25 pesos for a cab ride home or you can just take a chicka to a tello.

Hunt99
05-20-06, 14:13
If a guy is a first-time monger in Buenos Aires I would say that staying out in Vicente Lopez isn't exactly what I'd recommend. It's dead out there, going there is kind of like saying you're going to Chicago and instead staying in Evanston. You don't get a flavor for the real BsAs visiting lifestyle that is centered on Recoleta and Microcentro. I love Evanston, it's beautiful and wealthy, but it's a long way to Party Central on Rush Street and Wrigley Field. Yes you can take the RTA into Chi-town, but why?

Exon123
05-20-06, 14:51
I was born in Evanston.

Exon

Capt Dave
05-20-06, 18:21
Hunt.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "dead", especially since to the best of my recollection you've never stayed here!

I'm sure staying at the Sheraton and going to Black is nice, but why would you stay in a noisy 3 star hotel and be abused by some snotty night clerk when you could be living in a mansion and be abused by me for the same or less!

David

Hunt99
05-21-06, 10:33
Dave,

I have been to your place. Not recently since you have been the proprietor, of course, but I have been. And you are a nice guy and surely a welcoming host to your guests. So unless you managed to move the Mansion ten miles to the southeast I think I know something about your neighborhood.

But you live way out in the suburbs when all of the action to be had in Buenos Aires is downtown. Now of course some "action" can be procured to come out to the suburbs, but realistically a guy who doesn't speak good Spanish can't do that without relying on someone to walk him through the process, and a guy who is looking for high-energy nighttime and daytime fun is going to spend a lot of time traveling back and forth to Vicente Lopez, a nice, upper middle class, sleepy suburb. No need to do either of those when you stay in Recoleta and Microcentro, either in a hotel or apartment, either of which can be at prices much lower than you charge visitors to the Mansion.

And personally, I've never been abused by a desk clerk because of my guests. In fact, if you stay in one of the places that guys talk positively about, you will even find helpful assistance at the front desks of many hotels. LoiSuites Recoleta springs to mind, but there are many others. Of course, if people want to defy history and stay someplace like the Wilton which is not entirely "chica friendly," then no amount of advice can save them from their own stupidity.

Exon123
05-21-06, 13:21
Here's the reason the He's is better off at the Mansion from my perspective.

The Guy has never been to Buenos Aires in his Life. He knows noone in the City. He also stated that he's only going to be there for a long weekend, say three nights. He may not speak Spanish. He has very limited time to soak in the entire experience.

He would never get the entire experience of Buenos Aires Mongering if he were alone in an Apartment or Hotel room by himself. He simply would not know where to go. Example: He might go to Excedra looking for "Pussy" at lunch time, if he knew there Excedra was, but probably doesn't.

By staying out in Vicente Lopez he has the advantage of DickHeads "Guidence and Counciling" which would elimate all the variables and save him valuable time descovering the city. He only has three days mind you.

But the draw back to this is the commute. Yes he could waste as much as half an hour in the morning getting into town on the train. And a few extra peso's at night with the taxi home. Plus maybe some extra cab fare sending back home the Chica he's picked out to Fuck that night.

His only other real option is to rent the Hotel room and hang out at El Alamo and hope to find a Monger thats willing to take him under his "Wing". Or possibly he could hire "Miss Sol" as a tour guide or a reasonable substute to guide him around town. But in time that would cramp his stile.

So buy using DickHead's wisdom at the Mansion the Guy has a running start at discovering the entire Buenos Aires experience apon his arrival. At about the same price as the Apartment or Cheap Hotel, (LoiSuites, Recoleta is over $200 USD per night by the way) But the down side is he'll waste almost an hour a day commuteing.

Its really his choice.

Exon

Hunt99
05-22-06, 12:23
One of the first things I did when I was a newbie in Buenos Aires was to buy Jackson dinner. I got more useful information from him, for the cost of one lomo and half a bottle of wine, than I have from any other single individual who has ever set up shop in Buenos Aires. Plus, he stays sober (or at least relatively sober ;)) and has never been known the be involved in angry confrontations with people. The newbie to Buenos Aires would be far better advised to follow that path than to do what you advise, Exon. Nobody who goes on vacation wants to be involved in the middle of an incident, which is what your advice might lead to.

The last time I stayed at LoiSuites Recoleta it cost me 125 bucks a night. Maybe you need to get a better travel agent to book your deals, amigo! :)

Daddy Rulz
05-22-06, 17:57
Hunt,

I have never seen what you rudely imply (without even having the guts to actually say it) The only people I've seen DH do rude shit to where folks that had demonstrated severly clueless behaviour over a long period of time. I admit the man doesn't suffer fools well, but there is a difference between foolishness and a lack of knowledge. He has been an invaluable resource as well as a good friend. I've seen him so fucking drunk he could barely stand yet not be an asshole.

Digits if you look at the history between those two you will see Hunt attacking DH alot. Best advice I can think of is number one, ignore Hunt, two, keep ignoring Hunt. I'm not saying Jax isn't fun to hang with, I've only met him once and enjoyed it, but don't be scared of DH. Well be scared of him if your an asshole that drinks up his beer without replacing it, bug him all day long because you are pathetic and can't entertain yourself for 10 seconds without help, get this weird idea that hookers are your girlfriend and think they should be faithful to you, sit on your ass all day long in SP waiting for him to post so you can accuse him of getting free pussy for arrainging work for the providors he knows, that kind of shit.

Staying out in V. Lopez is kind of a long commute but it's a really nice place. Jacksons apartment is nice and located at a good spot. The Wilton has a great staff and you will only have problems with one person and she's off duty at 2300, so unless your bringing girls there in the middle of the afternoon you won't have a problem. And you won't then either if you just tell her to shut the fuck up and leave you alone as I used to. If you can get the room I mentioned before at the Wilton it's great.

I've never stayed at the Art Hotel so I can't comment.

Just come down bubba, be willing to make mistakes, don't take any non radio cabs, NEVER EVER EVER pay for pussy up front (except in an apartment) eat some good steaks, fuck some pretty girls, hook up with some guys drink a lot of beer and puke in a gutter someplace. Have fun.

Hunt99
05-23-06, 09:16
First off, I would never say that people should ignore another poster, unless that poster was a total boob. For example, in Daddy Rulz' rant, he gives some useful information, mostly in his last paragraph.

On the other hand, his judgment and advice is clouded by his notion of friendship. I would never advise a non-Spanish speaker who has never been to Buenos Aires to spend his time following around somebody who (using DR's words here) is apt to be "so fucking drunk he could barely stand."

Touting this kind of "service" is just that - a tout. If you want to put yourself at risk, do follow a drunk around, follow the lead and get ripsnorting drunk yourself, make threats to people, get pissed off, get angry (maybe if you're lucky you'll get into a fistfight!) - and above all else - enjoy the hour-long trip to and from your overpriced accomodations way out in the suburbs.

Capt Dave
05-23-06, 11:47
And above all else - enjoy the hour-long trip to and from your overpriced accomodations way out in the suburbs.Hunt -

I know you have some personal issues with some of the other members, but PLEASE don't imply to forum members who might not know better that the mansion is an hour from the city. As you know, it is a 20 minute, 50 centavo train ride right to the Plaza San Martin at the base of Florida St. And, although the price of cabs keeps going up, it is still 15-20 pesos to ANYWHERE downtown (including Flores) and even less to Belgrano or Palermo. I have frequently gotten to Las Canitas (in Belgrano) BEFORE people leaving from the "center of the action".

As for overpriced, someone who does so much "shopping" at Black should be willing to acknowledge that value does not equal price! The fact is the $60/ night winter rate for the Blue room at the mansion is less then even the Wilton and less then 1/2 some of the "fancier" hotels (plus we don't charge 21% tax or forbid / charge for telephone calls.)

Please try to refrain from disseminating misinformation in the course of your silly bickering with DH and Daddy!

Thanks,

David

Hunt99
05-23-06, 12:22
What's this taxi thing? Something only idiots take, yes?

As your host says, the way to go and come from the Mansion is either a collectivo bus and / or the train. By the time you wait for the bus, take the bus, wait for the train, take the train, it's easily an hour, if not more.

You now say the rate is now 60 bucks a night. Of course, this doesn't include the "special services" of the tourguide / pubcrawler / pussy advisor that you advertised in your very own thread, found here (http:/ www.argentinaprivate.com / forum/showthread.php?t=2663), which was 450 bucks for a two-night stay. I don't keep track of the day-to-day fluctuations in price at the Mansion, but let's compare apples-to-apples. If somebody wants a room out in the suburbs without any "special services," 60 bucks a night is still way overpriced.

And despite what you imply, this observation nothing to do with personalities. In fact, I am the one being attacked here for giving an honest opinion in a civil way.

Dickhead
05-23-06, 13:47
The actual train time to Retiro is 23 minutes. The trains run every 9-13 minutes during the day, declining gradually in frequency to every 20 minutes by the night time. It takes one minute to walk to the train. Therefore if one has to wait the maximum 19 minutes one is in Retiro in 43 minutes. That's a worst-case scenario; median performance is much better. The trains aren't circulators; they have an actual schedule so there wouldn't be any reason to wait a long time for them. Write down the times they leave and show up two minutes before.

The actual cab fare from the farthest of the Microcenter clubs, Jaz Pub, is 18,72. Again, a worst case scenario. The mansion is exactly ten blocks from the city border.

It is true that it can take an hour to get downtown by bus if the traffic is heavy, but then there wouldn't be any reason to do that since the trains would be running. I only use the bus to get back from the Centro at night after the train stops. The buses are also very handy for getting around Vicente López itself, although I normally use my bicycle for that (and mansion guests are welcome to borrow it).

Those are facts.

Moore
05-23-06, 19:21
Travel preferences vary like anything else. I've traveled a lot to unknown countries in which I did not speak the language and I cannot remember ever using or needing a human guide, though I used the InternationalSexGuide many times. Just give me a map, the ISG, and a brief travel book and I get around just fine and also find the good local whoares easily. My first trip to Buenos Aires was no exception and I spoke almost zero Spanish at that time. Some people like or even need human guides but I don't. I prefer the adventure of learning a new place on my own.

I'm thinking back to all the places I've visited - Prague, Budapest, Bareclona, Rio, Bangkok, Rome, etc and all my trips have one thing in common - my accomodations were centrally located. I don't think any of those trips would have been nearly as rewarding if I had stayed a 30 minute train ride out into the boondocks. Due to a missed connection, I spent a night at the airport hotel in Paris once, which is roughly the same distance out of town. I had a great night watching TV since walking out the hotel door was no different than walking into the Holiday Inn parking lot in Boise, Idaho. I visited the mansion once and I liked it, but I would not stay way out there, especially if I were making my first 7day trip to BA and wanted to see and do as much as possible.

Dickhead
05-23-06, 19:31
Also it's worth noting that there are at least four privados within walking distance of the mansion, which probably was not the case with the Paris Best Western. By walking distance I mean within a mile, the closest being exactly 6 blocks away. And those are just the ones we've found so far. An additional 5 or six are within 10 minutes by bus. One of those had seven women there when we went on our last scouting mission, and that was during the day time.

Plus the mansion is four blocks from the river, where there are numerous restaurants, bars, walking paths, and so forth. Also probably not the case with the Paris Best Western. For sports fans, the Cancha de River is closer to the mansion than Boca stadium is to either the Microcenter or Recoleta. I haven't actually clocked the distance but I think the Hipodromo and the polo grounds are as close to the mansion as they are to downtown. You can walk to the sailing marina from here, too. There is a gym two blocks away; in fact it is a large private health club with a restaurant, similar to Le Parc on San Martin in the Microcenter.

So, with all due respect, Moore, it's not the same thing as being in the "boondocks." Have you ever been here? And I don't know which Paris airport you are talking about but none of them is ten blocks from the city limits. Nor can you get from any of the Paris airports to the city center at a cost of sixteen cents US.

Elmatad0r
05-23-06, 20:33
Been recently a guest at the Mansion I have to say that the quality of the place, service (provide by the maid) the useful advice from DH, the convenience of the location, and the psychological impact of the mansion with chicas and non pro GF. What Capt Dave charges is a bargain!

Not only once I've took a taxi while staying at the Mansion. Everything is so close by, I even ordered sushi once. It was an overall awesome experience. The train is extremely close to the mansion that it makes no sense to use other means for transportation.

I've stayed at hotels before and nothing compares.

ELMATAD0R

Moore
05-23-06, 23:23
Also it's worth noting that there are at least four privados within walking distance of the mansion, which probably was not the case with the Paris Best Western. By walking distance I mean within a mile, the closest being exactly 6 blocks away. And those are just the ones we've found so far. An additional 5 or six are within 10 minutes by bus. One of those had seven women there when we went on our last scouting mission, and that was during the day time.Have you made any posts for these privados? I'd like to try a few out, especially the one with 7 chicas in the daytime. Maybe later this week.

Dickhead
05-24-06, 17:00
No, I haven't posted about any of them, and I don't plan to. But mansion guests have access to the information.

Hunt99
05-24-06, 17:32
No, I haven't posted about any of them, and I don't plan to. Hmmm.

Dickhead
05-24-06, 18:06
I'm just jerking Moore's chain, Hunt. Capt Dave already posted about the one to which Moore refers although I don't remember the thread title. And he said "phone numbers on request," or some shit like that. I don't have the exact address handy and I personally have never had sex there. It's in La Lucila on Maipu, which is the continuation of Cabildo, which is the continuation of Santa Fe.

We found a place in Munro where you can get a BJ for 20 pesos for 20 minutes. I get a two peso commission for everyone I bring there. This place is a classic. 4299 Ituzaingo (it's a house) is the address. Saw two chicas there and one was cute. The other one, well, was not.

Also we like the "Paraguayan Embassy" which is right on the way to the Carrefour. 24 / 7 / 365 take out, delivery, or dine on premises.

Try to relax a little bit. Life is good.

Moore
05-24-06, 20:17
I'm finally taking my first trip to the Big Apple! I'll be spending 5 days in NYC and I want to see and experience as much as possible. My expert Argentine travel agent just made my hotel reservations - the hotel is in a district called Newark. I'm sure that's in a great area of town and that I'll be within walking distance or a 5 minute subway/taxi ride of all the city attractions. I especially want to see "The Wall" street. I'm guessing that the Newark area of New York City is like Recoleta or Palermo in Buenos Aires. Can any New Yorkers confirm?

Also, should I hire a guide? I hear there are rats, gangs, cockroaches, mobsters, and Puerto Ricans everywhere there. The Newark zone is probably safe though.

Hunt99
05-24-06, 21:46
Try to relax a little bit. Life is good.You think I'm uptight? Imagine how I'd be if I hadn't have sold two-thirds of my stock portfolio back in February and March (and a little bit last Friday).

Moore, I think you especially need to check out the local establishements in an area of New York called the "South Bronx." There are some great whoares working the area. You can take a short subway ride there for action.

Dickhead
05-24-06, 22:00
Newark is a great little neighborhood. It's currently undergoing significant gentrification. Hoboken is another good area. I think that instead of buying property in Buenos Aires people should really look at these areas. Camden, also.

Sportsman
05-24-06, 23:41
Hoboken, birthplace of "Ol' Blue Eyes" Last time I was there over ten years ago and was still predominatly an Italian neighborhood. But a mile or two away you are in Jersey City. Now that's where you really want to be.

I pass by Camden often on my way to Philly. They are building condos near the waterfront for about 200K an unit and they are selling them. But only a few blocks away from the main road you are in the DMZ.