PDA

View Full Version : Bringing equipment into Argentina

Lochdhu
05-23-06, 23:03
So I am making plans to live in argentina for at least a year. Maybe longer, My sights are firmly set on BA for now. Started my Visa app with arca.

Now, since I am a webmaster, and part-time photograher, I want to bring with me 3 desk top computers and one laptop, along with all the software I need to run my stuff, and about 20k in Photography equipment. So if I move there and bring all this with me thru the airport, am I going to get hit with that import tax of 50% I hear so much about? I'd like to know now, so I can consider my options. And maybe ship my stuff down there another way?

I can't rip out and install all the Hard drives on one computer, because the Bays on all 3 computers are already full, all other equipment iwill more than likely buy down there, ie monitors. Mouse keyboards.

Any ideas, suggestions or answers is greatly appreciated.

StrayLight
05-24-06, 00:37
This it totally anecdotal, but the issue you raise is the one I'm dealing with right now: the so-called import tax.

I'm going to be arriving later this year with a retiree visa. It is a one-year, temporary visa that will need to be renewed for a few years before it becomes permanent.

My understanding is that I need to arrange some sort of insurance / guarantee that I will not sell any of my stuff before my visa becomes permanent, or that I will take everything with me if I leave before the visa becomes permanent. I'm supposed to pay this quarterly, based on the declared value of the shipment. If I stay until the visa becomes permanent, I get some portion of what I've paid back. My shipping company is supposed to arrange this insurance.

Again, that's totally anecdotal at this point. No hard facts.

On a related note, though, I'm bringing in at least six laptops total. What I do is everytime I come down to continue the preps for the move, I take two laptops and leave them. So far I have four down there plus a bunch of ancillary equipment (external hard drives, extra internal hard drives, extra power supplies and batteries, media bases, etc. Don't know if your situation would allow for that sort of strategy, but it's working for me so far.

SL

Lochdhu
05-24-06, 01:51
This it totally anecdotal, but the issue you raise is the one I'm dealing with right now: the so-called import tax.

I'm going to be arriving later this year with a retiree visa. It is a one-year, temporary visa that will need to be renewed for a few years before it becomes permanent.

My understanding is that I need to arrange some sort of insurance / guarantee that I will not sell any of my stuff before my visa becomes permanent, or that I will take everything with me if I leave before the visa becomes permanent. I'm supposed to pay this quarterly, based on the declared value of the shipment. If I stay until the visa becomes permanent, I get some portion of what I've paid back. My shipping company is supposed to arrange this insurance.

SLI am applying for the same visa, keep me posted on any details concerning this import tax. I'd hate to get raped at customs when the time came for me.

StrayLight
05-24-06, 19:10
I am applying for the same visa, keep me posted on any details concerning this import tax. Roger that.

SL

Bairespirata
07-06-06, 02:42
If I want to bring my camera, videocamera to Bs As can I buy an adapter here in Argentina or must I buy it home? How have you done folks?

============================================

Hi Bairespirata,

First, are you talking about needing an adaptor or needing a converter?

In any event, adaptors are readily available and cheap, usually in the range of about 1 peso each.

Thanks,

Jackson

Bairespirata
07-08-06, 00:13
Thanks for the info Jackson.