PDA

View Full Version : Skiing in Argentina

Tiny12
06-01-06, 13:24
Hi,

I'm new here, but a fairly frequent contributor to ISG. For novice or intermediate skiers, probably more interested in the scenery than the skiing, would you suggest Bariloche or Las Lenas, or have any thoughts as to the relative merits of the two? We'll probably go in late July, possibly in August. Thanks, and apologies if this belongs in Lonely Planet instead of ArgentinaPrivate.

Moore
06-01-06, 13:59
Please see the Bariloche thread in the Travel Reports - Other Areas section. I've posted some skiing info there.

I recommend Bariloche. Las Lenas is supposedly the best skiiing in the country, but it is very remote. From what I've seen there is the mountain and that's it. In BRC, the skiing is decent and you have an alpine town of about 30,000 so there are restaurants, bars, other for the night.

Rock Harders
06-01-06, 15:21
Tiny12,

I agree with Moore for the most part here. Las Lenas, located in the southern area of Mendoza province, is the best skiing in Argentina, bar none, it has the highest elevation and the best snow. However, high winds sometimes close down a significant number of the ski lifts there, and it is a fairly isolated place, though in winter there is nightlife. For serious skiers, it is the best within Argentina. However, right across the border in Chile, several hours west of Mendoza city, is Portillo, which has excellent snow, high elevation, and is fairly isolated. Portillo is comparable to Las Lenas, although it is slightly smaller.

For beginner or intermediate skiers, Bariloche might be better, it is lower (6,000 feet v. 10,000 feet or more at the others mentioned) and offers a nice town and scenic lake, etc. The problem with Bariloche is that it is crowded at times and the quality of snow sometimes sucks and is unreliable. Also, I would bet that a package trip to Bariloche would be less expensive than a similar one to either Las Lenas or Portillo.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Moore
06-01-06, 15:29
Avoid the winter school holiday (last 2 weeks of July). All the Argentine kiddies go to BRC for their high school egresados trip. Lots of adults take vacation during that period as well. That is when crowds can be a problem.

Absolutely check snow condtions before booking a trip. Last year was one of the best years ever and I went in late June. There was already a 100 inch base at that time IIRC. As mentioned the skiing at BRC is decent, but not outstanding. You can ski the entire mountain several times in a day. I go almost every year living in BA, but I would never recommend a US/European skier to fly down to BRC just for the skiing.

Leygreen
06-01-06, 18:50
Passed through there out of season in Feb. Gots some pics if anyone is interested) It takes 32 hairpin bends to get there. The US ski team also practice there. There seems to be one big yellow hotel by the big lake.

Tiny12
06-02-06, 00:04
Moore, Dirk & Leygreen, thank you. Based on your comments, I'm going to try to put this off until the first or second week in August, and check on snow conditions before making reservations out of Buenos Aires. From your description, I think Bariloche would be better if snow is good, since we're beginners / intermediates.

Dickhead
06-02-06, 00:09
Also you might want to consider what you will do at night, and / or when you are not skiing. Bariloche may have more to offer in that regard than the other, more isolated places.

Tiny12
06-02-06, 13:07
Appreciate that Dickhead, we'll take that into account, and probably go to Bariloche. Thankfully, because of old reports by Moore and others, I know that whereever we go it's BYOP (Bring Your Own Poontang)

El Perro
07-11-06, 08:36
Another article on Argentina from the NY Times. This one on skiing. It seems they have about an article a month on something argentine.

http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/07/09/travel/09explorer.html

MCSE
07-13-06, 18:16
Well I pretty don't like Chile but in my opinion the best spot in the region for sky is Valle Nevado. Hotel is just great and you have services, you have everything! I had an accident once there and they act quick and fast, I could died if they did not rescued me at time. They had (I think they still having) an helicopter for emergencies, and climbing "el plomo" is just such an excellent experience. In addition, if you are staying in the city travelling to Valle Nevado it takes 90 min (maximum) so you can get back home everyday. And even hit snow and the beaches of Vina del Mar / Renaca on the same day since it's another 90 mins away from Santiago.