PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Line

Norman Stormin
06-06-06, 22:31
For those of you gentlemen with any interest in soccer and a penchant for wagering, here's the current line for the most favored and, in some cases, least favored, yet popular contenders:

Brazil 2/1

England 5/2

Germany 5/2

Italy 6/1

Argentina 7/1

Netherlands 8/1

France 9/1

Portugal 11/1

Spain 14/1

USA 17/1

Mexico 18/1

And for those of you looking for a BIG SCORE, This Tout's Terrific Trifecta:

Togo 230/1

Trin-Tob 230/1

Tunisia 230/1

Of local interest, Argentina is favored over Ivory Coast in this Saturday's game. You've got to lay 110 and give up one goal to collect 100.

El Perro
06-06-06, 23:46
Betting on futbol seems even more of a crapshoot than most sports. You have 2 ways to lose, what with the draw thrown in the mix. I barely keep my head above water with major american sports. That said, put the mortgage on Brazil.

Dickhead
06-06-06, 23:52
I can't imagine giving enough of shit about soccer to watch it, let alone bet on it. I'd rather watch paint dry. I'd rather watch Exon jack off in San Martín Plaza.

OK, maybe not. But almost.

Moore
06-07-06, 01:23
If you don't understand or appreciate soccer then you don't fully understand or appreciate local culture. You sound like a stubborn ugly American.

Dickhead
06-07-06, 01:59
I understand that a bunch of guys in short pants run up and down the field but nobody ever scores and then you have a "shoot out" so why did you fucking bother running around for an hour anyway?

Seriously, shorten the field a bit, widen the goal a foot or so, make it six inches higher, and then you could have some nice, exciting 6-5 games instead of this 0-0 bullshit.

Hunt99
06-07-06, 10:21
I understand that a bunch of guys in short pants run up and down the field but nobody ever scores and then you have a "shoot out" so why did you fucking bother running around for an hour anyway?This just in: the NFL has enacted a new rule whereby teams tied at the end of regulation will determine a winner by an alternating series of field goals.

What a stupid concept.

On the really interesting sports side, I note that the Cubs are playing the Reds this weekend. Anybody up for a road trip to the Great American Ballpark? If the games are tied at the end of 9 innings I promise they won't settle things by playing Home Run Derby.

Flexible Horn
06-07-06, 13:38
For those of you gentlemen with any interest in soccer and a penchant for wagering, here's the current line for the most favored and, in some cases, least favored, yet popular contenders:

Brazil 2/1

England 5/2

Germany 5/2

Italy 6/1

Argentina 7/1

Netherlands 8/1

France 9/1

Portugal 11/1

Spain 14/1

USA 17/1

Mexico 18/1

And for those of you looking for a BIG SCORE, This Tout's Terrific Trifecta:

Togo 230/1

Trin-Tob 230/1

Tunisia 230/1

Of local interest, Argentina is favored over Ivory Coast in this Saturday's game. You've got to lay 110 and give up one goal to collect 100.I have been a bookmaker (Part time) and I would become very rich laying those odds.

These are the best odds available;

BRAZIL 11/4

ENGLAND 7/1

GERMANY 7/1

ARGENTINA 8/1

ITALY 8/1

HOLLAND 10/1

SPAIN 12/1

FRANCE 12/1

PORTUGAL 20/1

SWEDEN 33/1

CZECH REP 33/1

MEXICO 40/1

UKRAINE 50/1

CROATIA 50/1

IVORY COAST 66/1

SERBIA & M 66/1

USA 100/1

PARAGUAY 100/1

POLAND 100/1

SWITZERLAND 100/1

ECUADOR 150/1

AUSTRALIA 150/1

JAPAN 150/1

REP OF KOREA 200/1

TUNISIA 200/1

IRAN 500/1

GHANA 500/1

COSTA RICA 500/1

TOGO 500/1

SAUDI ARABIA 500/1

ANGOLA 1000/1

TRINIDAD & T 1000/1

Looking past Brazil, I think IMHO Argentina & Italy could give a run for your money.

I might look stupid in 5 weeks but I don't fancy Germany (The hosts) and will keep laying them untill the cows come home!

FH

Hunt99
06-07-06, 13:42
100/1 on USA is a great bet. The American squad is ranked fifth in the world by FIFA. If you want to underwrite my bet, FH, I'll put 10 dollars on the US at those odds. :D

Flexible Horn
06-07-06, 13:48
100/1 on USA is a great bet. The American squad is ranked fifth in the world by FIFA. If you want to underwrite my bet, FH, I'll put 10 dollars on the US at those odds.:DHunt 99 your bet is on.

FH

El Perro
06-10-06, 15:33
The Shamrock is open this afternoon and showing Argentina vs. Ivory Coast. I noticed walking by that they have some sort of large screen. Alot of cute little dewdrops clad in light blue and white already there.

Gatorman
06-10-06, 23:47
I sure wouldn't want to be that poor bastard that accidentally scored an own goal against the Paraguay squad in their 1-0 loss to England. He might as well leave the country now.

A few years back a player from Colombia that scored an own goal in a loss to the USA was later shot when he returned home.

Dickhead
06-11-06, 00:30
Oh man I missed some great games. I can't even imagine how exciting a 0-0 tie between Sweden and Trinidad & Tobago must have been. And 1-0 on a penalty kick. Doesn't get much better than that. What a great sport. Just absolutely thrilling.

Judd
06-11-06, 01:09
With Argentina's convincing win over the Ivory Coast? Is it mayhem or somewhat subdued since they're one of teams who has a chance to bring the cup home. Anyone see Ecuador take it to Poland? They looked surprisingly good.

Judd

Flexible Horn
06-11-06, 01:52
Oh man I missed some great games. I can't even imagine how exciting a 0-0 tie between Sweden and Trinidad & Tobago must have been. And 1-0 on a penalty kick. Doesn't get much better than that. What a great sport. Just absolutely thrilling.Most watched sport in the world, are the majority wrong. Again?

Judd
06-11-06, 01:54
It counts as 3 points whereas a loss is zero. Ivory Coast didn't score their lone goal until a few minutes before the match ended. Maybe I chose the wrong adjective. How bout Argentina's significant win over Ivory Coast? I think I got it.

WHAT'S HAPPENING TONIGHT IN BA WITH ARGENTINA'S OPENING WIN OVER THE IVORY COAST?

BTW, don't you have some papers to grade or Brahma to drink?

Judd

Dickhead
06-11-06, 01:56
FH,

If you enjoy it, watch it. I thought it was fun to play. I'd rather kill myself than watch it. Something has to be done to create more scoring, in my opinion.

The majority are often wrong, though.

Moore
06-11-06, 02:04
Most watched sport in the world, are the majority wrong. Again?Shit is the most eaten food in the world. Several trillion flies eat it every day, surely it must be great. How could the majority possibly be wrong?

Soccer is incredibly boring, mostly due to minimal scoring. I think the huge following is just a tradition in the many countries in which it is played. Foreigners will tell me that I don't appreciate the game because I didn't grow up with it. Bullshit, I didn't grow up with tennis, never played it, yet I enjoy watching it including women's tennis. It's a very exciting game with clutch shots, points, sets, etc throughout the event.

I can appreciate the agility and talent it takes to move a soccer ball like the pros do, but for 99% of the game thats all they are doing, aimlessly moving a ball around. 80 minutes later and the score is still 0-0 with very few shots even close to being goal attempts. The one thing I do like about soccer is that the clock doesn't stop. So I can always take a 90 minute snooze during every match. :D

Foosball (table soccer), on the other hand, kicks ass. I love playing it and the Argentine players are incredibly good. Called metegol in Arg.

Judd
06-11-06, 02:27
I would watch the Champions league if it was freely available in the states. Those teams are excellent and play in some epic matches. I am interested in following the World Cup Matches for one reason, a desperate attempt to maybe pick up some latina puss. I figure some chica might see me walking around wearing my Argentine or Mexico shirt, and strike up a conversation with me. I can say, "Yeah, I was born in Argentina. My parents escaped the evil Peron regime and settled in states. Wanna fuck?" I'm hoping Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, or Costa Rica go far because that will result in some soccer parties around the city. I might be able to bang some sluts who get caught in the euphoria of their team winning like my hot Brazillian roommate. I know, it's a fucking pipe dream. What's a monger stuck in sex prison without his pipe dream of nailing non-American puss.

Rah Rah for the teams of Latin and South America!

Judd

Flexible Horn
06-11-06, 04:04
Shit is the most eaten food in the world. Several trillion flies eat it every day, surely it must be great. How could the majority possibly be wrong?

.I think I would have been disappointed if I didn't receive such a witty reply.

So whats the USA top 3 sports, American Football, yes your world champions I believe aren't you the only country that plays it professionally?

Baseball, Is this a men's take up on rounders?

Basketball, Isn't this another version of Netball?

No the best sport in the world by far is soccer, 0-0 games can be exciting, but its all about the passion and IMHO you do indeed need to grow up with football to appreciate how skillful these top players actually are.

Still this is only this Brit's take on a real sport.

Rock Harders
06-11-06, 04:24
Mongers-

The best, and oldest sport in the world is boxing. It takes more balls to get into the ring with a trained professional fighter than any other sport, bar none.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

El Perro
06-11-06, 11:45
For what it's worth I am becoming a big fan. I have been a huge sports fan since a wee fellow in the states. Except golf. Have you ever met a guy who golfs alot that you didn't want punch after 15 minutes? Anyhow, all it takes for me to become a futbol fan is "to make" myself watch it enough to begin to develop an appreciation for what's happening out there. I doubt most NFL / MLB / NBA fans were completely taken with their sport the very first time they watched. To make the point, most guys are not gonna say they loved the taste of pussy after the first dive into it either. But they learned to LOVE it. So, like a lot of things, if you are interested in becoming a fan of futbol, you can be. Just takes a little motivation, and suspending some biases.

Plus, winning a little money on the over in the Ivory Coast match helps!:D

El Perro
06-11-06, 12:09
And, by the way, FH, are you still in SP, or here in BA? Let me know if you want to tip a few while taking in some matches. If you are not here I would be interested in your comments on what's going on with the Cup as things progress.

Dog

Amantelondres
06-11-06, 13:12
I'm with you FH! See you in Germany July 9. England v Argentina (not! Brasil (yes)

Dickhead
06-11-06, 13:34
Umm, FH, football is also played professionally in Canada and Australia, although with slightly different rules. Then there is NFL Europe.

What's nice about baseball and basketball is that they don't end in fucking ties.

El Perro
06-11-06, 14:02
What's nice about baseball and basketball is that they don't end in fucking ties.DH, please email Bud Selig as regards "ties"! Maybe in All Star games if the game is a "draw" after nine innings, they can wheel a futbol net out into mid center field and have a shoot out. Also, and forgive the pedantic turn here, ties are loathed in the USA because in the states one MUST be either a winner or loser. No in between, except of course in Vietnam.:D

Dickhead
06-11-06, 14:50
The All Star game bears only a vague resemblance to actual baseball.

Flexible Horn
06-11-06, 14:52
Umm, FH, football is also played professionally in Canada and Australia, although with slightly different rules. Then there is NFL Europe.Yes, I remember there was a London team full of 2nd rate Americans with the obligatory brit, not around any more. Must tell you something.

Moore
06-11-06, 14:54
I think I would have been disappointed if I didn't receive such a witty reply.

So whats the USA top 3 sports, American Football, yes your world champions I believe aren't you the only country that plays it professionally?

Baseball, Is this a men's take up on rounders?

Basketball, Isn't this another version of Netball?

No the best sport in the world by far is soccer, 0-0 games can be exciting, but its all about the passion and IMHO you do indeed need to grow up with football to appreciate how skillful these top players actually are.

Still this is only this Brit's take on a real sport.That's every Brit's standard spiel on sports and USA. I've worked with many and heard it 1000 times. Always the same false comment about the World Series but "only one country playing". Due to my British/Argentine colleagues and time spent in London/BA, I've had a fair amount of exposure to soccer on TV and live at River Plate and Wembley a few times. This is my 3rd world cup (1st in 1998) being surrounded by diehard Brit or Arg fans. I try to become interested in the play but I can't - 90% of the matches are boring and pointless for 88 of 90 total minutes. I've given up.

You brought up what you and other Brits call "USA" sports. I knew you would and that's why I selected a great sport, tennis, that is probably not considered a USA sport. There are many others excluding the 3 "USA sports" that I find instantly entertaining/exciting. There are countless ones, for instance, that I see only once every 4 years in the Olympics. I didn't grow up with them either.

US football is possibly the only sport that could be considered American only. Maybe played in Canada but not too much outside of USA. Basketball is enormously popular throughout the world. The current world champions are Argentina, who beat Italy in the Olympic final right after eliminating USA. Baseball is the national sport in many countries in North America, South America, the Caribbean, and Asia.

I am not a big baseball fan but have family and friends that are. A few nights ago I was ignoring a game (Cubs vs Reds) that was on TV in another room. You may not understand these numbers, but I'll recount them by memory. It was the bottom of the 9th inning, Cubs leading 6-4, and the bases were loaded with no outs. The Cubs pitcher walked one so the score became 6-5 - they were about to blow their lead. It was a clutch, exciting moment because SOMETHING WAS ABOUT TO HAPPEN. If the outfielders began throwing around the ball around the outfield for no apparent reason/objective/goal for 80 minutes then I would walk away out of boredom just like I do for soccer. But I did watch this part even though I said baseball isn't one of my favorites and I'd say it's not the most athletic/fast game around.

PS what's up with that story that the Brits always tell visitors about the town in England that tried and hung a monkey several centuries ago because they thought it was a shipwrecked Spaniard IIRC? I've heard that 100 times too and I don't know why.

Flexible Horn
06-11-06, 15:26
I myself will watch most sports but I have nothing but admiration for any sportsman / woman who has progressed to the top in their chosen sport.

I myself played a few games when I was younger and had a couple of friends become professional footballers, 1 was an international. I saw what they had to sacrifice to become professionals.

The problem now is drugs, used to enhance mussels and fitness, I think the fittest sports persons are the road cyclists. But when I was younger there was an American footballer called William Perry The fridge I think, well I was fitter than him at the time and this person was probably paid millions $, that's 1 of many reasons your football will never become a world game.

I have just watched Asafa Powel equal his world record in the 100m, I just hope that this fantastic sprinter doesnt turn out to be another Ben Johnson.

As with regards to the Monkey, the town in question was Hartlepool and as with most old stories I take them with a Large pinch of salt!

Hartlepool is in the North East of England and me being a cockney I struggle to understand them at times, they even have a song about the Monkey, as they say up there there's nowt as queer as folk.

Judd
06-11-06, 15:43
Take a good look at the Iranian goal keeper. Following the World Cup, it might be the last time you see him. He just royally fucked up and cost his team a goal who were playing Mexico straight up. Mexico just scored again. This guy and the dude who headed the ball into his own net for Paraguay are fucked!

I'm starting to get into this. A lot of subplots happening. It's reminiscent of a low scoring baseball game where any minute mistake will cost your team a win.

Judd

Flexible Horn
06-11-06, 15:53
And, by the way, FH, are you still in SP, or here in BA? Let me know if you want to tip a few while taking in some matches. If you are not here I would be interested in your comments on what's going on with the Cup as things progress.

DogDB, As much as I love BsAs I couldn't imagine watching a world cup in Europe there. I have a friend (yes I regard you as one) who is in BsAs now who is from Holland and I'm very interested on his take on the games.

As for my predictions and that's all they are, I have backed Argentina to win their group 13/8 and 9/1 to win the cup.

On the opening day I did my Bo. Cks, as us Brits say. I doubled up Germany and Poland.

I was soon reimbursed when I doubled up England and Argentina.

Today I thought Holland, Mexico and Portugal where all good things.

Looking forward to tomorrow Australia v Japan looks tight, if I do have a bet I'll back the Aussies in the other games Monday Italy look good and dare I say the Czechs look good, but hey who knows!

Flexible Horn
06-11-06, 16:00
Take a good look at the Iranian goal keeper. Following the World Cup, it might be the last time you see him. He just royally fucked up and cost his team a goal who were playing Mexico straight up. Mexico just scored again. This guy and the dude who headed the ball into his own net for Paraguay are fucked!

I'm starting to get into this. A lot of subplots happening. It's reminiscent of a low scoring baseball game where any minute mistake will cost your team a win.

JuddStrange you should say that, Elson Becerra has just become the 12th footballer to be shot dead in the last 20 years in Columbia!

Moore
06-11-06, 16:55
William "The Fridge" Perry was somewhat of a joke. He played for the Chicago Bears long ago and I bet he didn't earn millions.

You imply that Americans are athletically challenged in some way. Guess who wins the most gold medals in the Olympics - in a myriad of sports? Cuba is also a big medal winner (per capita) and coincidentally they also prefer sleeping to soccer, and their national sport is baseball.

Now, guess what G7 country could be considered of one of the most un-athletic nations based on their performance in the games?

Duran Duran kicks ass though.

Judd
06-12-06, 14:59
Already down 2 nil at half to the Czechs. Man, that's a big team. The 2nd goal scored by one of the Czech dudes was incredible. The way the US looks, it will take a miracle for them just to tie the Czechs. It's going to be hard for them to advance. The haven't even played Italy whose considered the best team in group.

Judd

El Perro
06-12-06, 16:05
USA outclassed today. The Czechs lost one of their best players in the first half and still kicked ass. Go Argentina!

El Perro
06-13-06, 19:36
Put a boatload of money (for me) on Brazil today, and then watched with mucho trepidation as they eked out a 1-0 win. Ronaldo looks fat (as Lula pointed out) and increasingly like a diva. Argentina, plus alot of other contenders, must feel better about their chances after today. I won't be throwing alot of money Brazil's way anymore, what with the heavy odds.

Judd
06-13-06, 23:10
DB,

Your right. Ronaldo looked like shit. What's up with him coming out late for the start of the 2nd half. I think they should start the young kid Robinho. I don't know that much about soccer, but it's obvious they are a powerhouse. It's a little mesmerizing as the announcer is describing the action, and your hearing all these legendary or soon to be legendary soccer names playing together (Ronaldinho, Adriano, Carlos, Cafu, Ronaldo, Kaka, Dida.

With all that being said, Croatia played them well. They came damn close to pulling off the tie. Must have been tough to watch if you layed some seious coin on them.

Judd

El Perro
06-16-06, 12:58
You got scoring! I'm guessing 6-0 is about the equivalent of 20-0 in baseball. Doggboy is now 3 and 0 in winning bets during the World Cup. I should have moved here years ago! Weigh in Flexible Horn! What a ton of talent Argentina has. Their two youngsters, Teves and Messi would probably be starting up front for over half of the World Cup participants.

Dickhead
06-16-06, 14:05
No, I want close higher-scoring games. Not blowouts.

=============================================

I just love how the soccer supporters like to point out that they could have higher scores by simply rasing the number of points that a goal is worth to 6 points "as in in American Football". Of course that would have no effect on the number of tie games, which was the original premis of the conversation.

However, one way to reduce ties is to have different ways to score different numbers of points as in American Football. For example, what if they put uprights on the goal and made an actual goal 3 points and a kick through the uprights 1 point. Perhaps even a 2 point line further out.

Thanks,

Jackson

El Perro
06-16-06, 14:23
No, I want close higher-scoring games. Not blowouts.Damn, you fellers are hard to please. I'll put a call into Pekerman and see if some charity goals will be allowed next time out.

Slugfest
06-16-06, 17:49
To say I don't follow soccer much would be an understatement, so bear with me here. Is there no such thing as running up the score in soccer? Is that a concept that only applies in North America? I ask because as the game today got out of hand, the Serbs didn't seem particularly upset that Argentina kept scoring when the game had already long been decided. I realize that goal differential counts for something, but is there a point when the coach of the obviously superior team calls off the dogs? Especially when the other team is playing a man short.

===============================================

Hi Slugfest,

I believe that in the World Cup matches, the game scores factor into the team's advancement to the next round. There's something to do with the total points scored that can determine advancment, scheduling, etc.

Thanks,

Jackson

Flexible Horn
06-16-06, 18:12
No, I want close higher-scoring games. Not blowouts.

=============================================

I just love how the soccer supporters like to point out that they could have higher scores by simply rasing the number of points that a goal is worth to 6 points "as in American Football". Of course that would have no effect on the number of tie games, which was the original premis of the conversation.

However, one way to reduce ties is to have different ways to score different numbers of points as in American Football. For example, what if they put uprights on the goal and made an actual goal 3 points and a kick through the uprights 1 point. Perhaps even a 2 point line further out.

Thanks,

JacksonThanks, but NO thanks, us football loving people are happy with the way things are, if its not broke don't fix it.

FH an English football fanatic.

Moore
06-16-06, 18:18
No!

If its not broke don't fix it.

FH an English football fanatic.Just say no to progress, innovation, and improvement. Otherwise you'd be thinking like a bloody yank.

El Perro
06-16-06, 18:27
To say I don't follow soccer much would be an understatement, so bear with me here. Is there no such thing as running up the score in soccer? Is that a concept that only applies in North America? I ask because as the game today got out of hand, the Serbs didn't seem particularly upset that Argentina kept scoring when the game had already long been decided. I realize that goal differential counts for something, but is there a point when the coach of the obviously superior team calls off the dogs? Especially when the other team is playing a man short.I don't know if "running up the score" is an issue in soccer or not. Clearly the opportunity is not presented often! Important to note that the last 2 goals scored by Argentina today were by their "itching to go" youngsters Messi and Teves. It would be hard to stop them, particulary when having scored a goal in World Cup competition is so big on the resume.

Slugfest
06-16-06, 18:33
I don't know if "running up the score" is an issue in soccer or not. Clearly the opportunity is not presented often! Important to note that the last 2 goals scored by Argentina today were by their "itching to go" youngsters Messi and Teves. It would be hard to stop them, particulary when having scored a goal in World Cup competition is so big on the resume.I'm pretty sure that there was an 8-0 game in 2002 as well. What are you proving with that 7th or 8th goal? What prevented Serbia from sending their "worst" players out there to "accidentally" kick Argentina's stars in the nuts after their gleeful celebration of the 6th goal? They aren't going to advance now. Would the team be banned from international competition? The coach fired / suspended? Just wondering.

Moore
06-16-06, 18:36
What are you proving with that 7th or 8th goal? What prevented Serbia from sending their "worst" players out there to "accidentally" kick Argentina's stars in the nuts after their gleeful celebration of the 6th goal? They aren't going to advance now. Would the team be banned from international competition? The coach fired / suspended? Just wondering.That's a good question. Hopefully the answer will be simple enough for an American to understand.

Flexible Horn
06-16-06, 18:58
I think Germany beat Saudi Arabia 8-0 in 2002.

There are many reasons teams go for the throat, if you tie on points, goals count. A player wants his goal scoring record to improve 34 goals scored by player A in 76 games looks better than 33 for example. If Argentina have to play Brazil at any stage your see what I mean.

If a player does kick some one in the nuts, yes his off but there is a rule you never see, a team can not carry on with less than 7 players. So if 5 players where to kick an opponent in the nuts the game would be abandoned!

Today Argentina where simply fantastic, and if an opponent had tried to hurt an Argentinian, supporters all around the world would have hated them. Today Argentina set the mark that other teams must reach, who's capable of reaching it is another matter.

Argentina's 2nd goal was at the end of 24 passes. Simply fantastic!

Thomaso276
06-16-06, 21:10
Goal differential plays a large part in these tourneys. They can be used to break ties in standings or to award championships. The club cups (Toyota for example) have home and away games for the finals. For example, Boca travels to Corrithian (in Brazil. They lose 2 to 1. The the teams play at Boca and Boca wins 3 to 1. Boca wins the championship, overall goals scored 4 to 3.

The shootouts are heartbreakers because anything can happen and luck plays a large part in determining who wins. I do not like shootouts.

I think the World Cup finals can be decided by a shootout. It was a few years ago. Brazil won on a shootout.

I have no problem with a team crushing it's opponent. Did the Cowboys let up when they were winning Superbowls with 50 points? Did the Yankees in the late 90's crush their opponents? What are you supposed to tell the subs -don't play your best?

Anyhow, Argentina played a major part of the second half with a one man advantage, that certainly helped them get the last threee goals.

In the World Cup you may not see your opponent again for 4 years. Crush 'em if you can!

El Perro
06-16-06, 21:19
In the World Cup you may not see your opponent again for 4 years. Crush 'em if you can!LOL! Though Spurrier always got under my skin when at UF. If you want to look for a "runner upper", he's your man.:D

Slugfest
06-16-06, 21:25
Goal differential plays a large part in these tourneys. They can be used to break ties in standings or to award championships. The club cups (Toyota for example) have home and away games for the finals. For example, Boca travels to Corrithian (in Brazil. They lose 2 to 1. The the teams play at Boca and Boca wins 3 to 1. Boca wins the championship, overall goals scored 4 to 3.

I have no problem with a team crushing it's opponent. Did the Cowboys let up when they were winning Superbowls with 50 points? Did the Yankees in the late 90's crush their opponents? What are you supposed to tell the subs -don't play your best?

Anyhow, Argentina played a major part of the second half with a one man advantage, that certainly helped them get the last threee goals.

In the World Cup you may not see your opponent again for 4 years. Crush 'em if you can!- If the 2 teams are only playing each other, I get it.

-The Cowboys only scored 50 (52 to be precise) points in one Superbowl - in 1993 against Buffalo. It was 31-17 going in to the 4th quarter, and Dallas broke it open with 3 touchdowns in a few minutes. They weren't throwing deep with 5 minutes to go, if that's what you're asking. And I don't remember the Yankees beating anyone 20 or so to nothing (about like a 6 or 8-nothing soccer game) in any World Series. So, in short, I don't see the point here.

-Exactly. Is it really so impressive to score when the opponent isn't at full strength and you're already up by plenty?

-Fair enough. I hope Argentina fans won't be upset if / when it happens to them, and it will at some point.

Moore
06-16-06, 22:20
Fair enough. I hope Argentina fans won't be upset if / when it happens to them, and it will at some point.Yep, it will be interesting to see the local reaction when it does. That 6-0 win better have been pretty damn gratifying to compensate getting humiliated 7-0 by England or Brazil in 2010 or, who knows, USA someday.

El Perro
06-17-06, 09:48
If you are wondering why the USA has not lived up to it's advanced billing:

http://worldcup.blogs.nytimes.com/?p=213#more-213

That said, let's bop the wops.

Thomaso276
06-17-06, 15:20
It seems to me that when teams here, including the World Cup teams, are plastered by an opponent the losing team fans don't blame the opponent, they blame the losing team for playing poorly and being heartless.

Running up the score in soccer is pretty difficult. Most of the papers pointed out that Argentina played seemlessly and had tremendous team coordination coupled with some great scorers. Were they supposed to let Serbia score a couple of goals so they would not be embarassed? Or kick the ball out of bounds when they had a chance for a shot so they would not score in the second half?

Having lived in Florida for many years I recall Spurriers' tendency to score as much as possible, regardless of the opponent. Acutally college football is set up for lopsided wins. Sure the opposing fans hated him but his teams were successful and he was an icon in Florida. What did he care about fans from South Carolina. Did he get his while with the Redskins? Probably so. While laughing all the way to the bank.

And how does Floridas' program look since he left - mediocre?

I also recall the Cowboys (under jimmy Johnson) allowing their kicker to set a club record and kick a field goal against my Packers in the late 90's in the final seconds. The game was already easily won by the 'Boys. Reggie White went ballistic, but maybe if the Packers had played better it never would have come to that.

Atheletes should always play their best. If the opponent cannot keep up don't blame the winning team. Blame the losing team for not performing at a higher level.

The Yankees of 98,99, 2000 were 12 and 1 in World Series play. Did they let San Diego or Atlanta win one or did they crush them?

Flexible Horn
06-17-06, 16:57
The problem with football over the years has been / is crowd violence, now I'm a fanatical Tottenham Hotspur fan (London team) Our biggest rivals are a team named scum, no only joking its ARSEnal. When we play them its war, no joke for days after if we have lost as we usually do I'm ill, depressed. Now if we where beating them and one of my teams players missed on purpose or gave them a goal, his carer at Tottenham would be over, full stop.

By letting a team score a goal could / would lead to crowd disturbances, something no one wants.

These players are very, very well paid some can earn with endorsements $20 million plus a year, so feeling sorry for an opposing teams just doesn't happen.

I think I'm correct in stating the highest score in British football was 36-0 where was the pity that day?

FH

Slugfest
06-17-06, 20:14
Whatever. We'll have to agree to disagree here. For every Spurrier, there's someone like Mack Brown at Texas, who could have beaten Colorado 105-3 in the Big 12 championship game, but didn't. Texas was also up 52-0 over Kansas at halftime and then ran out the clock every chance it got in the 2nd half. To me that's much more sportsmanlike than winning 104-0, but I understand that it's just my opinion, and the mentality in soccer just seems to be different.

El Perro
06-17-06, 20:45
We wuz robbed! Consensus opinion (well, two portenos with no stake, emotional or otherwise, in the outcome) I watched the game with, thought the USA got jobbed today by the refs. If you are paranoid, you might think there was some sentiment out there somewhere for the Italians to make it through to the next round. The red cards handed out to the USA after the one Italian got booted for a flagrant, very obvious red card infraction, were questionable at best. Also the offsides penalty that waved off the USA goal was mickey mouse.

Caveman01
06-18-06, 14:32
We wuz robbed!

The red cards handed out to the USA after the one Italian got booted for a flagrant, very obvious red card infraction, were questionable at best. Also the offsides penalty that waved off the USA goal was mickey mouse.The infraction of the italian, in my humble opinion, deserves not only a red card but two months in jail, at least. Then it was evident the referee tried to balance the actions, but he went to the other side.

The annuled goal is more cuestionably, because the italian porter can allege the USA player in offside was blocking his vision.

Yours,

Bruce Arena

El Perro
06-18-06, 15:09
The infraction of the italian, in my humble opinion, deserves not only a red card but two months in jail, at least. Then it was evident the referee tried to balance the actions, but he went to the other side.

The annuled goal is more cuestionably, because the italian porter can allege the USA player in offside was blocking his vision.

Yours,

Bruce ArenaThank you Mr. Pinter for your observations. I received more input from the many mongrel expats at Gibralter last night (a Scot, a Dane, and Italian, two Germans and some portenos) The consensus was the states were more unlucky than "robbed". Whatever, very unfortunate and they will be without their best player, Maestronii (sp) for the next all important match with Ghana. Possibly the CIA can intervene and send the elbowing italian to a secret gulag in Romania. Good luck with your next screenplay.

Marlowe

Dickhead
06-21-06, 21:02
Oh my God what a marvelous, thrilling, blood-stirring 0-0 tie that was. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. What a fun sport.

El Perro
06-21-06, 23:04
Oh my God what a marvelous, thrilling, blood-stirring 0-0 tie that was. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. What a fun sport.Pretend it was Koufax vs. Gibson, and it rained after 9.

Stormy
06-22-06, 01:55
So the game is rained out in the 9th. They would start again in the morning after the players had sobered up. They would reach a decision if it took 17 innings as it did the other day in Oakland, there would be none of this tie stuff and a celebration. The excitement over the world cup is wonderful, but the games are often quite boring.

El Perro
06-22-06, 02:03
So the game is rained out in the 9th. They would start again in the morning after the players had sobered up. They would reach a decision if it took 17 innings as it did the other day in Oakland, there would be none of this tie stuff and a celebration. The excitement over the world cup is wonderful, but the games are often quite boring.Agreed, though I have seen some baseball, football and basketball games through the years that were pretty boring as well. Despite the fact there was "scoring" going on. I think maybe I'll sit down with a razor blade and take in a KC Royals vs. Buccos game.;)

Stormy
06-22-06, 02:06
Maybe instead of a razor, a fifth of good rum and a six pack of coke. (A nice summer drink)

Hunt99
06-22-06, 10:07
Yep, it will be interesting to see the local reaction when it does. That 6-0 win better have been pretty damn gratifying to compensate getting humiliated 7-0 by England or Brazil in 2010 or, who knows, USA someday.You're talking baseball here, right?

Flexible Horn
06-22-06, 11:03
Oh my God what a marvelous, thrilling, blood-stirring 0-0 tie that was. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. What a fun sport.Obviously being a Brit we do not have your 3 major sports on our TV all the time, but are there never any dull games?

FH

Hunt99
06-22-06, 11:23
Obviously being a Brit we do not have your 3 major sports on our TV all the time, but are there never any dull games?We're light-years ahead of you British football fans when it comes to fending off the effects of dull baseball, football, or basketball games.

We have a secret weapon, in fact, not available to you at English sporting events. It's called "beer." Everything is exciting when you drink it. Imagine how you could liven up those five-hour, three-day cricket matches by replacing the the tea they drink with a succession of 32 ounce, ice cold Budweisers.

El Perro
06-22-06, 11:31
In the ongoing jousting about futbol vs. "american" sports, seems pertinent to point out that futbol matches last just short of two hours. Unless there is extra time. So, even if you hate it, the torture is relatively short, as opposed to those 3-4 hour baseball games. USA vs. Ghana in a half hour. A little early for Bud, Quilmes or the beer of your choice, but WTF.

Flexible Horn
06-22-06, 14:50
We're light-years ahead of you British football fans when it comes to fending off the effects of dull baseball, football, or basketball games.

We have a secret weapon, in fact, not available to you at English sporting events. It's called "beer." Everything is exciting when you drink it. Imagine how you could liven up those five-hour, three-day cricket matches by replacing the the tea they drink with a succession of 32 ounce, ice cold Budweisers.Hunt, next time your in London during our summer (ha, ha, ha) let me know and you can spend a day at Lords or the Oval with the Barmy Army, that's a group of England fans who may have the odd drink or two.

Test matches are 7 hours, normally and 5 days in total if required.

FH

Hunt99
06-22-06, 16:40
Hunt, next time your in London during our summer (ha, ha, ha) let me know and you can spend a day at Lords or the Oval with the Barmy Army, that's a group of England fans who may have the odd drink or two.It appears that I owe you 10 bucks worth of beer anyway (probably buys 2 pints at London prices) based on my losing bet on the US soccer team. So its a deal. I hope the test match goes the whole five days, as it will take me at least that long to figure out the rules.

Judd
06-24-06, 19:39
What a fucking goal by Rodriguez of Argentina! One of the commentators aptly said, "If Maradona's goal was from the hand of god, Rodriguez's goal was from the Divine foot." In an instant, Rodriguez has become a hero of Argentina.

Good Stuff,

Judd

MCSE
06-25-06, 22:21
Hello dear forum fellas!

If any interested I've just uploaded a couple of videos shooted last night at the OBELISCO in BA and there were a big amount of people partying the Argentinean success against Mexico. It was a hard game and no one of the people celebrating cared on the rein last night. www.barts.com.ar/barts/videos.php Next Friday the game will be Argentina vs Germany, yes and in Germany. I wish the best to all of the Argentinean players, but it's gonna be hard, Germany is a very good team, and the worldcup happens in Germany. I will never forget anyway that glorious game Italy vs Germany back in spain 1982, when Italy won it's 3rd championship. If Argentina can win this game means that probably will win the cup. You can see the game online from barts website also, for free, for everyone, and do not forget to sing: vamos vamos, argentina!

El Perro
06-27-06, 20:08
4 for 4 so far in futbol wagering as Brazil covered the over of 2.5 today on their lonesome. Some of this clearly luck (when ain't it) but adds to the enjoyment of the spectacle. Argentina and Germany scheduled for noon Friday. There will be some mid afternoon drunks around, and if the Argies win avoid the Obelisk area for many hours.

Norman Stormin
06-28-06, 19:12
Today's line to win:

Brazil even money.

Germany 3/1

Argentina 3/1

England 6/1

France 7/1

Italy 7/1

Portugal 10/1

Ukraine 20/1

The money line for Friday's big match:

Argentina even money.

Germany <120>

I'm feeling better about taking that early on long shot of 7/1 for the Argies and got a substantial break with Brazil at 2/1. I just had to take Germany today to cover my shorts.

Flexible Horn
06-28-06, 19:34
Today's line to win:

Brazil even money.

Germany 3/1

Argentina 3/1

England 6/1

France 7/1

Italy 7/1

Portugal 10/1

Ukraine 20/1

The money line for Friday's big match:

Argentina even money.

Germany <120>

I'm feeling better about taking that early on long shot of 7/1 for the Argies and got a substantial break with Brazil at 2/1. I just had to take Germany today to cover my shorts.If there is any body who wants to back Brazil at EVENS pm me, paypal me the money and your ON.

MCSE
06-29-06, 17:32
Hello,

For those guys interested into watching the soccer game tomorrow June 30th at 11:00 AM (GMT-3) on the Argentinean TV, being outside of Argentina, you can now watch the game online (the argentinean trasmission) just enter to www.barts.com.ar and click on the Channel 9 icon.

Judd
06-30-06, 14:10
Impressive corner kick goal by the Argentines. First time Germany has been behind this entire world cup. Looks like they will advance unless Germany can nutt up and equalize.

Judd

EZE_Amante
06-30-06, 15:41
Nuff said, what a horrible way to end the game.

Judd
06-30-06, 16:14
You have to give the German's credit. They hung in there with the help of the crowd, and fought back to win the game. One has to wonder what might have been if the Argentine's goal keeper hadn't gotten injured. This would've allowed Messi to get into the game. One has to also question why the Argentine coach sub'd Cambiasso for Riquelme (was he hurt?) Riquelme is the equivalent of a quarterback, whose considered one of the top five "Quarterbacks" in the world. I think a tired Riquelme would've stuck one in the back of the net during the penalty kicks whereas Cambiasso missed.

Hindsight is always 20/20 I guess.

Judd

El Perro
06-30-06, 16:21
Pekerman will be second guessed to death, but he probably would be no matter what. Riquelme out, not replaced by Aimar (his usual replacement) and no Messi. The feeling is that he went defensive too quickly and it bit him in the ass. He was criticized for the same thing after the Ivory Coast match, though escaped 2-1 after being up 2-0 at half.

Exon123
06-30-06, 19:36
I read on Yahoo the Coach resigned after the game.

CockSucker, the game was a Bummer.

Exon

El Perro
06-30-06, 19:41
I read the same thing. He knows he's gonna get blistered for his moves. Fucking shame about the loss. Exon, do you have any pics of Miss Sol chowing down on one of them "cucumber sandwiches"?:)

El Aleman
07-01-06, 07:03
With all respect, I cannot completely second the "fucking shame".

But I agree, shooting it out with penalties sucks.

El Alemán

Norman Stormin
07-02-06, 13:05
With France knocking out top favored Brazil. That's really going to make the bookies smile all the way to the bank. Can you imagine how much serious money has been laid on Brazil?

Now I'm really happy with my last minute 3/1 wager on Germany. Courious to see this morning's new line. Will keep you informed as soon as I get back from Sunday brunch.

Flexible Horn
07-02-06, 13:19
The odds on the last 4 to win the world cup;

GERMANY 7/4

FRANCE 2/1

ITALY 7/2

PORTUGAL 6/1

Whoever wins its been a great result for the bookies!

Norman Stormin
07-03-06, 21:00
Today's Las Vegas Line To Win:

Germany 6/5

France 5/2

Italy 3/1

Portugal 5/1

Money Line Tuesday:

Italy +150

Germany -170

Money Line Wednesday:

Portugal +155

France -175

Flexible Horn
07-04-06, 19:36
I backed Argentina so I did my dough, laid Germany for a lump. Well done Italy saved my bacon!

Phixer
07-05-06, 17:29
Anything in the Argentine press as to why Heinze went ballistic after the final whistle v Germany?

El Perro
07-05-06, 19:02
Anything in the Argentine press as to why Heinze went ballistic after the final whistle v Germany?Never heard, but then I am relying on the local ingles paper, not La Nacion or Clarin. Heinze looks like a feisty little fuck. 5 for 5 so far in my Cup wagering with France moving on to the Final today. Tough one to pick, though hard to go against Italy the way they have looked the past two matches.

Thomaso276
07-06-06, 01:04
The story was that the German team celebrated too closely to Argentine players, jumping around and made some contact. Words and then shoves ensued.

It was a minor skirmish, but after review Germany lost a player for their semi final who was supposedly a key player.

Italy and France? Who gives a f*** about these two! Probably France as they have been on a roll and Italy got lucky against Germany wth two goals in last minutes.

Phixer
07-09-06, 08:39
Looking forward to the match this evening though got to go with Italy as well. Looked too good against the Germans.

Flexible Horn
07-09-06, 19:11
What a fuckin joke! Settled by ''free kicks'' that any amateur could make. Bring on the ''real'' sports!And what sport would that be, that one only the Americans play!

Exon123
07-09-06, 19:47
I thought the whole thing was fucked, real football starts in a few weeks.

Exon

Judd
07-09-06, 19:53
That was a great final match. I think the Frence outplayed the Italians. Too bad Zidane lost his cool and was subsequently red carded. He has to feel like shit knowing his early exit altered the outcome of the game. What was he thinking? Obviously, he wasn't. This is the first time I've ever watched the World Cup. I'd have to admit I was like alot of other Americans who could give two cents about this event. Having watched it from start to finish, the World Cup is something I will look forward to for many years to come.

Football is sometimes a "Fuckin Joke" when you think about it. Many of the games are decided by neurotic 150lbs kickers who sit on the end of the bench. How stupid is that?

Now that the World Cup is completed, one thing I will not miss is reading the dumb ass comments like those from Papa Benito and Exon who continually put down the sport of soccer. Maybe if we didn't suck at it, more of us would be able to appreciate it. Go back to the Miss Sol section and finish your discussion about mid-afternoon tea, and where to go to get the best cucumber appetizers.

Judd

Flexible Horn
07-09-06, 20:22
I thought the whole thing was fucked, real football starts in a few weeks.

ExonIs that the game where all those 'Big Guys' where all that protection and there's more 'breaks' for commercials than at a Ford factory.

El Perro
07-09-06, 21:48
Penalty kick tidbit-the frenchie that missed the penalty kick is from Argentina.

Dickhead
07-09-06, 22:32
Next time I suggest that in the interest of efficiency and fossil fuel economy, each team send its five best shooters and its best goalie and we have a bunch of shootouts and be done with the whole fucking thing in like two hours. Prior to that they could spend a few days showing replays of previous 0-0 ties from past years and no one would ever know the difference. Maybe pay a few unemployed European youths to stage a mock riot.

In fairness, the baseball All-Star game really sucks shit too.

Bacchus9
07-10-06, 01:37
Bravo! Italy and the millions of happy Italians.

What a great game futbol is played at this level. And what a relief to experience for over two weeks a world event that's ardently followed all over the world, bringing people together.

To the fellows who carry the same passport as mine living and complaining in a country that breathes futbol I don't know which is more appropriate, suggest you adjust your medications or that old favorite of the right wing nutters - if you feel that way why don't you move there? You chaps just look like bad sports.

Dickhead
07-10-06, 02:13
Widen the goal half a meter and raise the height of the crossbar half a meter, or even a quarter of a meter. Players are bigger now. Also while you're at it, raise the height of the basket in basketball 6 inches or even a foot, and make the court a little wider. And get rid of those joke ass baseball parks like in Cincinnati. Change with the times, is all I ask. Soccer is a fine game. The lack of scoring makes it boring and then having the shoot out decide it is like fucking your sister. And as far as American "foot"ball is concerned, how about this rule change: You get one kicker for punts, field goals, extra points, and kick offs. Any injury and the same substitute must do all of the above.

That's just my point of view. I watched as much of the World Cup as I could stand. I could never get through an entire game. And yes I played it and yes I understand it and yes it's BORING as presently configured.

Oh yeah and one more thing. What's this about Zidane is of Algerian heritage and so could have played for Algeria? What's this crap about Mike Piazza playing for Italy in the Olympics, or Alex Rodríguez for the Dominican Republic? We need to clean that shit up. Whatever country you're a citizen of, that's who you play for. Who the hell knows what your "ethnic heritage" is anyway with all this mongering and cheating and so forth going on? Like all these 6'4" 225 pound "Korean" and "Japanese" baseball players? What's up with that? Ya think maybe their dads were American GI mongers and their moms were hookers? Hideki Matsui? Chan Ho Park? Hideki Irabu? Get fucking serious.

BadMan
07-10-06, 03:06
Good game, and I am personaly glad the Italians won, though the fact that it was decided by shoot outs really sucks, no climax, and I think most would agree, That Sucks.

I don't really think the sport needs to change as much as some have stated, but it's an interesting thought to think that if you widened the goal, more goals would be made, and maybe that would make the game more enjoyable to watch. Interesting theory, though I wouldn't bet on it any time soon.

Good Game, bad ending, but I'm glad the Italians won,.

The Bad One.

P. S I guess the Argentinians aren't good at penalty shots.

El Perro
07-10-06, 08:12
I enjoyed the Cup tremendously and the thread was a bit of an "ugly american " litmus test. Hey, if you just don't like the sport, you don't. But the obvious kneejerk reactions from some, were just that. I doubt that Dickhead's ideas about changing dimensions are shared by many in the futbol world, but who knows. Might not hurt at that. As a sidelight to that, I mentioned during the game yesterday to my porteno friends that Maradona's "run" to a goal in Mexico City in 1986 looks even more impressive now, because you don't see anybody doing that kind of thing anymore (Ronaldinho infrequently at Barcelona, but he was a non factor in the Cup) Their response was interesting. While acknowledging the genius of Maradona (no surprise) they pointed out that "runs" like that of Maradona are much more difficult in futbol now, because the athletes are bigger, faster, and team defense has improved over the years. Maybe some evidence there of the need for some kind of changes. Also, as regards penalty kicks, I heard part of a conversation where apparently some years ago in one of the South American cup competitions, penalty kicks did not decide the winner. If the score was tied at the end, the teams played an entire match again 48 hours later. If they tied again, the winner was decided by a coin flip!

Flexible Horn
07-10-06, 09:32
I have probably been to approx 1000 football matches, have supported the same 2 teams all my life, played football at school, college, work teams etc.

I think I know a bit about football.

The goals don't need enlarging there fine as they are.

The human body of course is evolving, any sport you measure against time or distance people are running faster, jumping higher, longer etc.

There is a problem with football though, his name is Sepp Blatter FIFA President and a very corrupt man, until this man is replaced the game has problems.

Today in Italy I believe they are to announce the findings of there investigation into match fixing.

Football is the greatest sport in the world bar none, its played by more people, watched by more people and generates more money than any other sport, but there is world wide corruption.

Personally the best team didn't win the world cup and overall it wasn't the best world cup, but it beats hands down that American football, 3 different teams whats that all about, running down the clock to kick an egg between 2 uprights, yer OK I mean its really taken off here in Europe, NOT!

FH. Sorry Exon

Dickhead
07-10-06, 11:40
Well I like ice hockey better but why not try enlarging the goal a bit and see how people like it? I mean, the people who don't like it, that's WHY they don't like it, for the most part, and the opposite complaint is often made by basketball. You can save the old goal posts if it doesn't work. What have you got to lose except some wood or plastic or whatever it is these days, which can be recycled.

In baseball, back in the 60s there was a dearth of scoring so they made a minor adjustment in the pitcher's mound, lowering it from 15 inches to 10 inches (38.1 to 25.4 cm), and it was a big improvement. Now there is too much scoring, but that's for a different reason, IMO; the new ballparks are smaller because urban real estate is expensive, whereas the players are bigger and stronger. Maybe now we could go to a 12 inch mound. It's an evolutionary process.

I like soccer as an art form, and I enjoyed playing it. I just can't watch all these 0-0 and 1-1 games that end in shoot outs.

El Perro
07-10-06, 15:43
Benny,

You liked that head butt didn't you! You mean sonuvabitch!:)

Flexible Horn
07-10-06, 17:07
To play 120 minutes and the score is 1-1, then decide the World Bore based on free kicks (8 of 9 attempted and scored is indefensible) As I said before, any amateur could score (no one has contested that statement) Fortunantly, I have played most all the popular sports including soccer, some sports at higher levels. Others I played were basketball, baseball, fast-pitch softball, football, tennis, golf, volleyball, track and field, rugby, hockey, etc. In my experience, soccer is the most boring, athletically the easiest, and the least rewarding, etc. Of all sports. But, I was impressed with the ''head butt''! I watched several games, but it was difficult. Possibly, nationalism generates the enthusiasm. To each his own.Its definitely what your brought up with, some sports are what I would describe as world sports, played or watched by a large % of countries IE football, golf, etc.

Now how about test cricket I appreciate Americans don't play or watch it but would you describe it as boring? Try watching a test match between India and Pakistan, it makes a football match between Bocca and River look like a tea party!

There's many sports on TV and I was bought up watching football, as if I was born in probably 80% of the world, football is the number 1 sport.

America being America is different I don't know what your number 1 sport is probably either your football, baseball or basketball.

I don't know if its wrong but watching those sports there doesn't seem to be as much passion in the crowd as there is at football matches, rival supporters sit next to each other!

Pappa my good mate you and me can agree to disagree but over 1 BILLION people watched yesterdays World cup final. Are they all wrong?

FH

Dickhead
07-10-06, 17:24
I tried like fuck to understand cricket when I was in Oz (went to a match in Melbourne the week after that Don What's His Face died) and NZ (had a bunch of drunk Kiwis explaining everything that was going on as we watched a couple of matches on TV). I just flat couldn't make any sense out of it. I know you got a wicket in cricket and there are runs somehow and there are bowlers but after that you've got me.

And see, in the US, the thought police are everywhere and if you boo loudly or curse you get ejected. Hence your (correct) impression that little passion is shown. So it's basically become a pussy ass country which is why I got the fuck out. Part of it, anyway. I believe the number one spectator sport in the US, as measured by paid admissions, is auto racing but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Moore
07-10-06, 18:08
Flexible Horn,

You continue repeating the same invalid point-

"A billion people watch/do x and a billion people justify anything." Have we not already established that this is about the most fallacious argument there is? Of course a billion people can be wrong.

Could you elaborate on your "futbol generates the most money" comment? I just looked at a 2004 top athlete earners list and only one footballer, David Beckham, barely made it in the top 10 (8th). The number two earner (behind Tiger Woods) is Michael Shumacher. I've never watched an auto race. The remainder are basketball, American football, baseball, and tennis players.

Flexible Horn
07-10-06, 18:37
Flexible Horn,

You continue repeating the same invalid point-

Could you elaborate on your "futbol generates the most money" comment? I just looked at a 2004 top athlete earners list and only one footballer, David Beckham, barely made it in the top 10 (8th) The number two earner (behind Tiger Woods) is Michael Shumacher. I've never watched an auto race. The remainder are basketball, American football, baseball, and tennis players.

.Football WORLD WIDE is watched by more paying customers than any other sport. Fact.

I am not talking about individual earnings, of course any body who follows sports knows Tiger is the highest earning sportsman!

What is that same invalid point?

Dickhead
07-10-06, 18:54
Couldn't futbol be watched world wide by more people than any other sport yet still not be the top money generator since it is very popular in a lot of the poorer countries? I don't know if that is the case or not, but we need to define our terms if we are ever going to solve this argument.

Oh, wait a minute; we're never going to solve it and it's pointless anyway. But a lot of pointless arguments are still interesting.

Do we include only gate receipts? That's going to be tough to get a reliable figure for a sport like futbol / soccer since it's played in a lot of countries that have less than reliable accounting. And, do we include only professional level gate receipts?

Then, do we include TV revenues? Memorabilia sold at the stadiums? Memorabilia sold outside the stadiums? What about equipment sales? A soccer ball is pretty cheap compared to a bunch of aluminum baseball bats, at least eighteen gloves or mitts, catcher's equipment, blah blah blha. What about injuries? American football produces a lot of revenue for orthopedic surgeons, that's for damn sure. What about the net present value of the future foregone rents on the various arenas? What about the transportation? An NFL football team has a lot more players than a soccer team so that produces more revenue for transportation companies, right?

So it's an exercise in futility. I've been to 30 countries on 5 continents and there is no doubt in my mind that futbol / soccer is the world's most popular sport. Golf is a game and not a sport. If you don't sweat it's not a sport. Let's see what kind of an argument THAT statement starts.

Oh yeah; I got some real good pussy during the overtime of the final match.

El Perro
07-10-06, 19:03
Oh yeah; I got some real good pussy during the overtime of the final match.With multiple shots on goal and a succesful header?;)

Flexible Horn
07-10-06, 19:05
Dickhead, your correct its a pointless argument no winners, but free speech is great.

As for your if you don't sweat its not a sport, how about that great British pub sport Darts?

Moore
07-10-06, 19:08
I'll repost my query.

Flexible Horn,.

Could you elaborate on your "futbol generates the most money" comment?I did not claim that your comment was necessarily wrong, I asked for elaboration. Let's assume for a second that auto racing generated the most money. I would not apply your faulty reasoning and repeatedly declare that auto racing is the "best sport in the world bar none" because of its top earnings. Hell I'm not sure it's even a sport.

Looking at a top ten inidividual earner list is not exactly a deep analysis, but seeing four US basketball players (one retired) versus one footballer in the list may indicate something. A retired basketball player (guess who) has a higher commercial value than David Beckham has presumably in the peak of his career, and that's with a weak dollar! That must have some kind of economic significance.

El Perro
07-10-06, 19:10
Dickhead, your correct its a pointless argument no winners, but free speech is great.

As for your if you don't sweat its not a sport, how about that great British pub sport Darts?Darts is a "pastime". About as much a sport as tiddlywinks.

Dickhead
07-10-06, 19:38
Not a sport list: Golf (if you're sweating it's just because of the heat or a glaring lack of beer, and yeah, I've played, and yeah, I ain't worth a shit), darts, chess, pool / billiards, poker, tiddlywinks, bowling, fishing, sailing, hot dog eating, jacking off.

Sports: Soccer / futbol, football, rugby, baseball, tennis, badminton, handball, skiing, swimming, bicycling, basketball, field and ice hockey, skating, track and field, sport fucking.

Borderline: Auto racing, bobsledding.

I have no clue: Cricket, curling.

Feel free to comment or add to the list. I struggled with horse racing and polo as they seem to be sports for the horse but not for the rider. Maybe water polo should be a sport but I've drowned so many horses trying it, I'm really not sure.

El Perro
07-10-06, 19:44
DH,

You missed the "sweet science". Boxing-sport. Also, table tennis-sport.

Dickhead
07-10-06, 19:57
Agree with boxing. Wrestling too although it can get a bit gay at times. Not sure about table tennis. The best players don't seem to be sweating although shitty players like me do. Capt Dave is a very good table tennis / ping pong player BTW. Also should add volleyball. I'm sure I missed a lot of others. Martial arts too, probably.

El Perro
07-10-06, 20:02
Yeah, table tennis for sure. You can build up a big sweat. Played a ton another lifetime ago. Damn enjoyable. I stopped playing when they came out with those extra thick rubber paddles. Everybody and his brother was spinning serves to hell and back. I be liking the sandpaper models.:)

Moore
07-10-06, 20:06
I'd reclass skiing from sport to borderline. It's a sport for some people but more of a leisure activity for many people who drink beer/other and smoke weed/other while doing it. You don't have to be in great shape go on a 4-day skiing vacation hitting the casinos/whoarehouses every night. It's too damn fun to be a sport!

Dickhead
07-10-06, 20:20
OK. Downhill or "Alpine" skiing goes to borderline. Cross-country or "Nordic" remains a sport. Golf and bowling should be scrapped in favor of sex as the balls are lighter and you don't need special shoes.

Add: Lacrosse.

Oh yeah and I'd like to see that little fuck who ate the 2,118 hot dogs try some of this chili I just made and see how that works out for him.

El Perro
07-10-06, 20:41
Papa Benito has made a number of posts today, all of which have been more than three or four words. I am assuming this is what happens when he is not getting his usual 2 or 3 nuts a day.:D

Exon123
07-10-06, 20:48
Pappy's been drinking again.

He'll be back down here soon, by now he's getting horny.

Exon

Dickhead
07-10-06, 21:44
Plenty of downhill experience. I say borderline because it's not really aerobic like Nordic is. It's not even anaerobic like boxing or even baseball. I still view it as more of a skilled pastime. Depends exactly what you're talking about, really. Slalom gets you closer to a sport than say pure downhill. I don't know that jumping really does. It's just more like jumping out of an airplane. Riskier and more dangerous, but are you really raising the skill level?

So, what about skydiving? Is that a sport? What about muff diving?

Hunting no, bullfighting yes?

Dickhead
07-10-06, 21:51
One time I was donating plasma with a guy by the name of Jack R. Wall. We're lying there waiting for the blood to come back from the centrifuge and he says, "You know the best place to take a piss? Up a chick's ass." I thought he was nuts (he was nuts) but you know, I tried it, and it ain't bad. Maybe that's what this guy in New Zealand should have done. Put that on your fucking camera.

http://msn.foxsports.com/rugby/story/5769250?FSO1&ATT=HMA

El Perro
07-10-06, 21:59
Speaking of bulls, how about rodeo events? Bronco busting? Bull riding? Clown goring? If getting busted up is part of the criteria, they got a leg up there. Plus, I have never seen or heard of a chick riding a bull. Bronco busting maybe, but I am not sure about that either. That has got to count for something.

El Perro
07-10-06, 22:03
One time I was donating plasma with a guy by the name of Jack R. Wall. We're lying there waiting for the blood to come back from the centrifuge and he says, "You know the best place to take a piss? Up a chick's ass." I thought he was nuts (he was nuts) but you know, I tried it, and it ain't bad. Maybe that's what this guy in New Zealand should have done. Put that on your fucking camera.

http://msn.foxsports.com/rugby/story/5769250?FSO1&ATT=HMADid you tell her beforehand or surprise her ? That could be the next fetish craze. www.asspissers.com.:D

Dickhead
07-10-06, 22:14
Oh yeah, lots of women in professional rodeo these days. Barrel racing especially. I don't know enough about that so for me it has to go to the maybe category. I guess you'd sweat but would it be exertion or fear?

Add: Gymnastics.

And yeah, it was consensual. After that we never knew if we were friends or enemas.

El Perro
07-10-06, 22:24
Oh yeah, lots of women in professional rodeo these days. Barrel racing especially. I don't know enough about that so for me it has to go to the maybe category. I guess you'd sweat but would it be exertion or fear?

Add: Gymnastics.

And yeah, it was consensual. After that we never knew if we were friends or enemas.JaJaJaJaJa!

Yea, barrel racing sure, but no riding of the bulls! Fucking no way!

Dickhead
07-10-06, 22:38
Archery no. Biathalon yes.

Dickhead
07-11-06, 01:45
Really stupid shit:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5774550

Flexible Horn
07-11-06, 03:53
6. Flexible Horn's 2007 SUPER BOWL ticket is canceled!Looking at some of those fat overweight guys, I might just be playing!

Flexible Horn
07-11-06, 04:04
Probably the fittest sportsmen are the long distance cyclists, not to much fat on them.

Another great sport has to be synchronized swimming, good for the eye.