PDA

View Full Version : Computer stores.

Mpexy
06-12-06, 19:29
Anyone know where in Buenos Aires, if any, I could find a computer superstore? You know, like back in california and various other states we have Fry's, or CompUSA, etc.

Large, hardware / software / accessory available kind of superstore for computers and peripherals. I was watching a movie a couple times where they show commercials and I recall seeing a commercial ad for a argentina version of what seems like a CompUSA but can't recall the name.

Slugfest
06-12-06, 21:30
I was in a place the other day near Santa Fe & Callao that sold computer accessories, among other stuff. I think it was called Dromo, or something like that. I bought a USB cord for my digital camera there, and the salespeople were very helpful. It might not be specialized enough for what you're looking for though.

Anyone know where in Buenos Aires, if any, I could find a computer superstore? You know, like back in california and various other states we have Fry's, or CompUSA, etc.

Large, hardware / software / accessory available kind of superstore for computers and peripherals. I was watching a movie a couple times where they show commercials and I recall seeing a commercial ad for a argentina version of what seems like a CompUSA but can't recall the name.

Daddy Rulz
06-12-06, 22:35

Large, hardware / software / accessory available kind of superstore for computers and peripherals. I was watching a movie a couple times where they show commercials and I recall seeing a commercial ad for a argentina version of what seems like a CompUSA but can't recall the name.Red Megaton

Mpexy
06-13-06, 01:47
Specifically, I'm looking for memory chips for my laptop. I'll try that Red Megaton place first.

==============================================

Hi Mpexy,

I was waiting for somebody to come up with this info, but since its doesn't appear to be happening, let me interject.

I think you should consider Galleria Jardin on Florida Avenue between Correnties and Cordoba. It's a three story mall with approximately 50+ computer-related stores including a couple of dozen parts stores. Just walk between the stores, tell them what you're looking for, compare the prices, etc.

The gallery has several stores specalizing in laptops, plus CD copying stores, custom cabling stores, and an ink cartridge refill store downstairs that refills your cartriges while you wait.

For computer components I personally recommend the guys at...

Store Name: Eagugel
Emilio Massucco
Florida Ave. 537
Unit # 439-440
4322-0844

I bought a speaker system from them that I later discovered didn't meet my requirements, and incredbly enough they gave me a full refund in cash when I returned it a week later. Both brothers that run the place speak english.

Thanks,

Jackson

Mpexy
06-16-06, 15:14
Jackson,

Great tip on this mini-mall area - you're right there are tons of computer and accessory / peripheral related stores in this place.

Emilio turned out to be a real friendly and helpful guy - he's helping me find the right memory chip type to fit my laptop, and speaks good english as my semi-decent spanish after almost 6 months here is still incredibly bad when having to discuss topics like computers and technical things.

Moore
06-16-06, 17:32
When in Argentina (or other similar countries), you get yourself a nigger and have him do everything for you. Fix appliances, fix computers, buy/find/install computer parts, change flat tires, clean toilets, buy/replace light bulbs, shine shoes, deliver groceries, etc. Let him/her run around for these things and/or break a sweat while you sit on your ass barking commands feeling important. 20 pesos plus parts will get almost anything done immediately. There are plenty of local niggers that specialize in computers and software.

That's just the way it's done locally. Nigger is the most appropriate term for this and is not offensive since it does not refer to any particular race in this case. Some of the best/cheapest niggers I've used throughout the years in Argentina have been white. Don't lift a finger - leave any errands and general legwork to them.

When you hear a local call out to a waiter "che, negro!", what do you think he's yelling? Only Americans call waiters "sir".

Flexible Horn
06-16-06, 18:36
When in Argentina (or other similar countries) you have a nigger do everything for you. Fixing appliances, fixing computers, buying / finding / installing computer parts, changing flat tires, cleaning toilets, buying / replacing light bulbs, shine shoes, deliver groceries, etc. Let him / her run around for these things and / or break a sweat while you sit on your ass barking commands. 20 pesos plus parts will get almost anything done immediately. There are plenty of local niggers that specialize in computers and software.

That's just the way it's done locally. Nigger is the most appropriate term for this and is not offensive since it does not refer to any particular race in this case. Some of the best / cheapest niggers I've used throughout the years in Argentina have been white. Don't lift a finger - leave any errands and general legwork to them.

When you hear a local call out to a waiter "che, negro!", what do you think he's yelling? Only Americans call waiters "sir".I'll give 1 tip that all visitors should take very seriously, if you come to England, please for your own safety DO NOT USE that word.

In England HSBC bank runs a series of adverts where customs in one country are OK but in another insulting, IE showing the soles of your feet in Korea I think, is insulting.

Well I live in London and if you used N. In the wrong area you could be very seriously hurt, so please bear that in mind.

I find it very strange that it's exceptable in Argentina, but its just like the adverts!

Moore
06-17-06, 00:28
I can think of some great uses for that word in USA. People have previously mentioned some unconventional methods of revenge toward various entities such as flushing a shotglass down the toilet. That word will easily cause a financial/legal nightmare, a riot, and fired executives if applied properly.

Thomaso276
08-17-06, 21:56
I don't know where else to post this but wanted to get the info out. A few weeks ago I downloaded and ran IE7 Beta. I had been running IE6.

I really liked the new layout and features but discovered the other day that my scanning software (HP all in one product) would not load (it certainly tried to but would never start up) so I could not scan documents.

Got online with an HP tech (a great service) who told me their software was not compatable with IE7 Beta. I removed the IE7 Beta and it automatically reverted to IE6.

Found I still had trouble with the change as I could not attach files to my email (Yahoo) Turns out the default settings for IE had been changed and I had to go to tools menu while on the attach files page to adjust to default settings.

Recommendation: don't download IE7 Beta as it will alter too many other programs.

El Greco
08-18-06, 20:20
I don't know where else to post this but wanted to get the info out. A few weeks ago I downloaded and ran IE7 Beta. I had been running IE6.I mainly use Mozilla Firefox. Much safer surfing than IE6.

They are preparing a new version now in order to compete with IE7.

El Greco

Capt Dave
08-18-06, 21:00
I also have switched to Firefox, and in most ways prefer it. There are occasional problems viewing on-line videos, as for some reason Windows Media Viewer doesn't like non-microsoft software (go figure!)

There are some other features I really like, and I recommend it.

Easy to install, and you can leave IE installed and it will run as well (or poorly) as it ever did.

www.mozilla.com

David

Fred88
08-18-06, 21:33
I also use IE7 but every couple of weeks or so it decides it doesn't want me to access secure (HTTPS) sites and blocks them. It takes me another week to sort it out and is a PITA.

I know from the Web that others have had the same problem, so if you don't, good for you. I also use Firefox but find it limited.

Peter in Martinez

JustGotBack
08-21-06, 13:32
Papa Benito, get a mini hub. Plug your internet modem into the mini hub and then plug your computers into the mini hub. If you have WiFi you can get a WiFi mini hub as well. They are also called switches and routers.

Easy Go
08-21-06, 16:33
Hubs, switches, and routers are different kinds of devices. A switch or hub will not do what you want. But the terminology can be be confusing since most routers have built-in switches these days.

You need a router with a built-in switch. Setup can be a bit tricky due to the way that different ISPs handle security but I never had a problem with Fibertel. Just plug the "uplink" port on the router into the Fibertel modem using an Ethernet cable, power everything off, power on the modem, wait until the modem "syncs" (or just wait a minute) power on the router (wait another minute) and power up your PCs.

Punter 127
08-21-06, 17:24
Is there a ''splitter'' device that will enable me to use both computers simultaneously in my apartment? Can it be purchased in BA?I just up graded my Home WiFi, and I have a Linksys Broadband router (WRT54G) I am not using. It should work for what you want; you should be able to hook up two computers wired or wireless. Do you want me to bring it?

Punter 127
08-21-06, 20:20
Yes, bring to Greg's.I will drop it from the plane as I fly over Gregs,:rolleyes: on my way to BsAs.