PDA

View Full Version : Group Dinners II

Jackson
06-28-06, 18:38
Greetings everyone,

Just when I thought we'd heard all the discussion on the subject of the fair way to split a group dinner tab, I was exposed to yet a new twist.

A couple of days ago Exon, myself, another monger and his "date" went to dinner at La Gran Taberna. The bill was 180 pesos. Right off the top Exon volunteered to pay the 30 pesos for his Beefeaters, which resulted in a balance of $150 pesos. Factoring in a tip, the total to be split would have been $160 pesos plus a little extra to fatten the tip by anyone with an extra $5 peso note. I then placed $45 pesos on the table, followed immediately by Exon's $75 pesos. However, the other guy, upon opening his wallet and reviewing the calculations, declared that the $160 peso bill should actually be $150 pesos and should be divided three ways, not four. Discussion ensued, during which I told him that it was his privledge to pay for his date's dinner, not Exon and myself. Nevertheless, our friend wouldn't budge, insisting that the $150 pesos bill be divided three ways and that he also didn't see the need to leave a tip. With that, he placed a 50 peso note on the table and advised Exon and myself that the balance was on us.

After a couple of minutes of discussion, which his spanish speaking girlfriend thankfully couldn't follow, I just gave up and pulled another 30 pesos out of my wallet to make up the difference.

So here's my question for the members: If three guys go to dinner together, and one guy decides to bring a "date", how should the bill be divided?

Thanks,

Jackson

====================================================

Hi Guys,

I need to append my report: The chick wasn't just his date, she was his live-in girlfriend, which means she wasn't even in play.

El Perro
06-28-06, 18:40
When it comes to money, there is no fucking end to the discussion! The guy with the date owes 50% , not counting Exon's booze, (unless his girl is ponying up money-fat chance) and the customary tip on the total bill. WTF! Did he think the chick was just skating scot free on everybody? WTF otra vez!

==================================================

Doggboy,

In 10 years of visiting Argentina and four years of living here, I have NEVER seen an Argentine chica pay for anything in a public place.

Thanks,

Jackson

Flexible Horn
06-28-06, 19:00
Jackson,.

Your a better man than me, when I take a friend, bird, bitontheside or even the wife out to dinner I pay, I would never expect any one else to pay for my date. If somebody wanted me to pay for their wife / friend I would have told them where to go. As politely as I know.

FH

Hi Flexible Horn,

I didn't think it was correct either, but I wanted to leave, so I did the expedient thing. Besides, I go to La Gran Taberna all the time because it's two blocks from my apartment, so I certainly didn't want to stiff the waiters in a place I frequent.

Thanks,

Jackson

Sailor
06-28-06, 19:11
Is it not more then normal to split it 4 way. Or actually 3 way; 25%/25%/50%.

If somebody would do that to me, it would be the last time I would have dinner or drinks with him / her.

Sailor

Dickhead
06-28-06, 19:18
I would turn the fucking guy upside down and shake him until some more money fell out of his pockets and if I accidentally dropped him in the process, bummer.

That is unacceptable. Please "out" this fucker so we can all avoid him.

Flexible Horn
06-28-06, 19:25
That is unacceptable. Please "out" this fucker so we can all avoid him.I'll 2nd that!

Sailor
06-28-06, 19:33
Who is the "Especinc" character who voted for splitting it 3 way?

Sailor

=================================================

Hi Sailor,

This is why I setup the poll to show who voted how. Now I know, the next time I'm out to dinner with Especinc, I'll bring a date, and he and I can split the bill evenly.

Thanks,

Jackson

Thomaso276
06-28-06, 20:03
Obviously when you bring a date you cover her costs. Whenever I bring my girlfriend to a BBQ or to some group dinners I have always paid twice the individual rate.

Hunt99
06-28-06, 20:23
Of course, if the chica is up for pulling a train, then the three guys should also split the costs of her bill.

Moore
06-29-06, 03:20
In 10 years of visiting Argentina and four years of living here, I have NEVER seen an Argentine chica pay for anything in a public place.I see it all the time, so much that it surprises me sometimes. I believe there are many Argentine couples in which the girl has a job/cash and the guy doesn't.

I voted for the 25% split of course, but the girl could pay 50% for the couple just like her date could.

It surprises me that some of you are having bill disputes. I don't remember having a genuine one since graduation.

Hi Moore,

I believe that you are talking about "regular" Argentine couples, which I rarely interact with. As an American, 99% of the girls I meet are working (read: direct payment), so of course I'm not going to see them pay for anything. Even if I was to somehow become involved in a relationship with a regular chica (read: indirect payment), I doubt that I would find myself in many situations wherein she was paying any bill of mine, especially in a public place.

Thanks,

Jackson

Tinman
06-29-06, 22:40
Hmm, if this were not a mathematical screw up and the guy did this on purpose, then that is pretty selfish.

And, if by chance he didn't have enough cash on him, he could have handled the situation better, I'm sure.

Shit like that sucks, because like you said, not much can be done about it without good people suffering in the process (like the waiter getting stiffed or the restaurant being short-changed) but it's unfortunate you all had to pay extra for someone's selfishness.

Hopefully I can report on some chicas soon so that my post count isn't comprised of just rants ;)

Hefe
06-30-06, 02:36
I wouldn't have paid but if it is a place you frequent, than I guess 10 dollars is a small amount to pay for your lesson learned. Never go out with that fool again

Strad
06-30-06, 02:55
Jackson,

The only one reason I can think of that the monger had assumed the bill should be split in 3 ways is becuase that chica could a common friend among three of you?

If She wasn't, then that guy was way out of the line, and out of common sense.

Strad

Hobby Fan
07-01-06, 01:32
They guy was out of line for sure in the situation described. But I do think that if an event organizer brings an English speaking guest or date that is helpful and friendly to visiting guests, it is a good move for others to cover the tab proportionately. Roxanne, for example. Jackson, how would you handle that case? Maybe by clearing in advance with guests the idea that her tab is split up? This particular scenario has caused friction and board flame wars before. Not involving me, thank goodness....

Dickhead
07-01-06, 02:00
In any group dinner situation in Argentina, there should be a surcharge levied on anyone who does not speak Spanish as that is very annoying.

Dickhead
07-01-06, 03:24
Also HF I am pretty sure where you are coming from but in reading your post it is not quite clear. If there are a bunch of guys who live here and know what's going on, and someone fulfills a role of translating and making people more comfortable for people who don't know what's going on, then the latter group should pay the translator's expenses, not the former group.

Unless, of course, the facilitator in question is already soaking the newcomers for well above average fees in any number of areas without any kind of reasonable disclosure taking place. That would be a different situation.

Hobby Fan
07-01-06, 03:51
Dickhead has a good point, as usual. Nobody coming along is going to be of special utility to him in terms of getting information. The tab for a guy's date or any other nonpaying dinner participant he invites should be covered by him. That is true with 3 guys where one has a date or 8 guys and 5 have dates or whatever.

If someone invites Roxanne and has in mind that all the guys are going to split the resulting damage, that is fine and may be a good deal for visitors. (Not my point to debate that one, DH, but your wit is noted) But that only works if the guys (and in particular those who live in BA) are told the deal in advance so that they can opt out. Daddy Rulz' rule applies: the event organizer should call the system for dividing the tab. But it should be made clear to everyone in advance if they are going to be expected to pay for a chunk of someone else's bill, except maybe you don't have to clear it with a few guys like Exon and Hunt99 that we know are not going to complain about whatever system is chosen. I am probably on that "don't care" list too, but would not be if I lived in BA like Thomaso, Jackson and DH.

I don't think we are overthinking this topic. It is a source of repeated friction in life, and in BA we mix people from lots of social backgrounds. But we are getting close.....

El Aleman
07-01-06, 06:32
When I invite someone, especially any women - no matter if I have a "romantic interest" in her or not, I pick up the bill. That's just good old European courtesy, and latin societies like the argentinean work the same way.

So it's clear what happens to my date.

It's also clear what happens, if I invite for example Roxana to a group dinner.

And it should be clear what happens, if a GROUP invites her to a group dinner.

Too difficult?

2 centavos de.

El Alemán

==============================================

El Alemán,

Your reasoning is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jackson

Exon123
07-01-06, 13:22
I abstained from voting,

The paticular Monger in question is a dear friend of mine.

In fact one of the reason's I truly like him is he's the "Cheapest Bastard" I've ever met in my life. Never, ever have I met someone as Cheap as this person. Its one of the reason's I like to hang out with him, just to see what he'll do next to save money.

I really didn't think much about the incendent at the time knowning both Jackson and this Monger. Double Beefeaters are expensive, so I offered up the extra $30 peso's before the neigoications even started.

But in looking back I realize that Jackson and a number of EX-Pat's live here and operate on a budget, just as we all due back in Sex Prison. Therefore Its simply not in the cards for them to go out every night and spent a bunch of money. Women are expensive no matter where you live and if you start dragging them around its gona cost money.

So probably, if you invite them you should be responciable for their overhead.

All that being said the Monger in question was about to leave town. I wanted to spent a little more time with him before he left, so I invited him out to dinner once more. As an inticement I told him I'd buy his dinner at a swank Recoleta resturant but he'd have to pay for his Chica if he brought her along.

Well they both showed up and off we went to the pricey joint and guess what? Only two Steaks were ordered, the Chica sit there and ordered nothing but a glass of juice. While the Monger and I enjoyed big thick steaks. Although he did let her eat a bite or two of his desert.

But actually I got an even better deal than that. This Monger is so socially oblagated to me for picking up checks he keep's a bottle of Beefeaters just for me when I come to town. Since he brought the bottle to dinner I drank for free. If you figure in the price of two double's, 60 peso's, less than half the price of what her steak would have been had she been were aloud to order, I got a bargan for dinner.

Exon

================================================

Hi Exon,

It's got nothing to do with "operating on a budget". I don't live on a budget, and I take exception to your suggestion that I have to watch my pennies. What it is about is being asked to pay for some other guy's date. Period.

Thanks,

Jackson

Moore
07-01-06, 15:00
Good story Exon. This guy is pretty cheap, I'll give him that. I've heard of scrooges splitting meals with their dates, but chowing down in front of your date and not letting her eat anything takes frugality to a whole new level.

Here is the cheapest case that I can recall. I read of a man from New Jersey who spent his summers at a cabin in Vermont. All utilities were included in the monthly rent he paid, so he would leave the gas kitchen stove on (lit) for the entire 3 months he stayed so he wouldn't have to "waste" his own matches relighting it.

I read it in Maus by Art Spiegelman.

Snowbird
07-02-06, 02:20
I am as cheap as they come and proud of it! However, I would never expect the other guests to pay for my date, unless she was giving them all blowjobs under the table! Really, this takes the cake. Calling him a cheap bastard is an insult to me. He is worse than cheap. He is a bottom feeder and I would never go to dinner with him. In fact it reminds me of a time of going out with friends for dinner. We all had dates with us. One guy and his date ordered seperate drinks, appetizers and desert that were not shared with the group. Their bill was a good $40 US more than average tab. This bastard than decides we should split the bill. I was pissed but did not want to say anything. I just avoid the creep.

Lunico
07-02-06, 15:50
Yeah, I'm purdy cheap, but this guy is just funny. Tell him 2 for one Big Mac Mondays are back in LA, do you think he'll buy a ticket here?

Who is this person?

Daddy Rulz
07-02-06, 18:14
This is a totaly different circumstance than the other dinner discusion. There is no doubt about it that the monger was responsible for his dates dinner. However Jax and Exon, this is an interesting point of ettiquite (sp) by splitting the check 3 ways you earned the right to kick this cheap fuck in the nuts over and over again in the alley behind the restaurant.

The other circumstance using Roxanna as the example. If somebody is acting as a guide you are not obligated to pay for their food and drink. Generally a guide will have an agreament with a restaurant that their food is covered for bringing the group. If nothing like that is in place and nobody has been spoken to in advance I would say it was the person who invited her that is responsible. However if it were a large group I personally would kick in if I found her (Roxanna or whomever) helpfull.

Nemesis
07-05-06, 15:01
If every monger brings one the bill should again be divided evenly.

Why not just go with the separate checks instead of subjecting chica mongers to embarassing after dinner accounting inquisitions right in front of their dates.

===============================================

Hi Nemesis,

Of course you would be correct on your first point.

On your second point, the math only takes 10 seconds. The only time there are any "embarassing after dinner accounting inquisitions" is when somebody rejects the math.

Thanks,

Jackson

Nemesis
07-05-06, 15:11
Aside from all that, these chicas are much more deserving to have dinners bought for them than back home. I would take pleasure from buying dinner for another monger's chica.

What's a chica really gonna eat anyway and what's it really gonna cost? They barely order anything from my experience.

When I invite someone, especially any women - no matter if I have a "romantic interest" in her or not, I pick up the bill. That's just good old European courtesy, and latin societies like the argentinean work the same way.

So it's clear what happens to my date.

It's also clear what happens, if I invite for example Roxana to a group dinner.

And it should be clear what happens, if a GROUP invites her to a group dinner.

Too difficult?

2 centavos de.

El Alemán.

==============================================

El Alemán,

Your reasoning is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jackson

Hi Nemesis,

I would take pleasure from buying dinner for another monger's chica.I'll make a note: The next time we're all out to dinner together, you are welcome to pay for the meals of all the chicas.

What's a chica really gonna eat anyway and what's it really gonna cost?Your observation is correct: They rarely eat their entire dinner. However, the cost of their meal and drink is the same as everyone elses, regardless of wether they consume it in it's entirety.

Thanks,

Jackson

Sailor
07-05-06, 16:44
but in this case the other monger just refused to pay for the dinner of his date, and forcing his dinner companions to pay partly for his dates dinner.

This is the other way around. If you bring a date, do not expect somebody else to pay for her dinner.

Sailor

Dickhead
07-05-06, 21:21
What chicas are you guys seeing that don't eat their entire dinner? I take these 50 kg (110.25 pounds for Jackson) chicas to dinner and they eat more than I do. Christ, you should see Roxana the Barber eat. Nice and dainty little table manners and then her plate is so clean you barely have to rinse it, and she's done before I am. She says she weighs 47 kg (103.635 pounds).

I used to always give the chica the smaller steak or pork chop or piece of fish or whatever when I was cooking, figuring I weigh 75 kg (165.375 pounds) but now I do the exact opposite.

And then they eat dessert!

El Perro
07-05-06, 21:36
What chicas are you guys seeing that don't eat their entire dinner? I take these 50 kg (110.25 pounds for Jackson) chicas to dinner and they eat more than I do. Christ, you should see Roxana the Barber eat. Nice and dainty little table manners and then her plate is so clean you barely have to rinse it, and she's done before I am. She says she weighs 47 kg (103.635 pounds)

I used to always give the chica the smaller steak or pork chop or piece of fish or whatever when I was cooking, figuring I weigh 75 kg (165.375 pounds) but now I do the exact opposite.

And then they eat dessert!They are trying to regain their strength after you hammered the begeezees out of em.

Dickhead
07-06-06, 00:15
Normally I feed them before I fuck them.

Nemesis
07-06-06, 02:45
What chicas are you guys seeing that don't eat their entire dinner? I take these 50 kg (110.25 pounds for Jackson) chicas to dinner and they eat more than I do. Christ, you should see Roxana the Barber eat. Nice and dainty little table manners and then her plate is so clean you barely have to rinse it, and she's done before I am. She says she weighs 47 kg (103.635 pounds)

And then they eat dessert!I think this may be a vailed promotion of your culinary skills.

I have noticed that some chicas eat more in private because everyone tags them as whores eating with mongers in a restaurant. Some are self conscious and lose their appetite.

I have also noticed chicas eating more in simple provincia type restaurants or hangouts for the locals.

As for the guy who refused to pay for his chica when asked to do so. That's a serious character flaw if you ask me.

Nemesis
07-06-06, 02:52

Hi Nemesis,

Of course you would be correct on your first point.

On your second point, the math only takes 10 seconds. The only time there are any "embarassing after dinner accounting inquisitions" is when somebody rejects the math.

Thanks,

JacksonI still think separate checks is the way to go unless of course I'm around to pay for everything. I just hate bucking up the bill at the table, especially in front of chicas.

Amantelondres
07-06-06, 07:00
If in generous mood: Find 'em; feed 'em; fuck 'em; and forget 'em.

If concerned about who's picking up the tab when dining out: Find 'em; fuck 'em; and forget 'em!

But if she's a 9 or 10: Find 'em; feed 'em; and fuck 'em and fuck 'em again and again and again!