PDA

View Full Version : Weather

Nemesis
07-05-06, 00:36
Just got an email from a chica I met in May of this year complaining about how cold it is in BA this time of year. Apparnetly she's has the flu and is running a fever.

I'm planning a trip for early next month and I can't imagine it getting cold in BA. Can anyone shed some light on current weather conditions?

Are we freezing our asses off?

Thanks

Ricardo
07-05-06, 01:30
The weather is not cold by any North American standard. It has been in the high 50's and;ow 60"s in the day and not much colder at night

Nemesis
07-05-06, 01:35
The weather is not cold by any north american standard. It has been in the high 50's and;ow 60"s in the day and not much colder at nightDoes it get uncomfortably cold at night for anyone without central heating?

StrayLight
07-05-06, 01:41
Just got an email from a chica I met in May of this year complaining about how cold it is in BA this time of year. Buenos Aires is the same latitude south as Wilmington, North Carolina is north. And it is served by the same basic type of ocean current, I. E. A warm current running down from the equator. It's generally moderate, but it can get into the upper 30s on a whim.

For a daily / weekly look at the weather, you can check this.

http://weather.cnn.com/weather/forecast.jsp?locCode=SAEZ

For a look at the climate, check this...

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/argentina/fahrenheit/buenos-aires.htm

(But remember what Mark Twain said: "Climate is what we expect; weather is what we get.")

I'm in an apartment right now without central heating, and although it's not "uncomfortable," I do wear a light sweater to keep warm.

=============================================

Hi StrayLight,

Of course, one could just click on one of the clearly labeled Buenos Aires weather links on the front page of the Forum for the latest weather info here.

Thanks,

Jackson

Moore
07-05-06, 02:26
BA is substantially milder year-round than coastal North Carolina though on the same latitude. Much of USA has a continental climate and thus relatively harsh summers and winters. Continental climate doesn't exist in the southern hemisphere since there's not enough land mass in the temperate latitudes of about 30 to 50 deg to create it. There's only about 800 miles of land between the Pacific and the Atlantic at BA's latitude. Even way down in Patagonia the winter is quite mild considering its 50+ latitude, since its so close to the ocean on both sides. Sort of like Scotland and other parts of NW Europe.

Manchester, England is a bit further north than Moscow. Though on about the same latitude and at low elevation, their climates are very different.

StrayLight
07-05-06, 11:16
BA is substantially milder year-round than coastal North Carolina though on the same latitude. Well, I lived in coastal North Carolina for three years, and although my time here has been intermittent and much, much shorter, to date I find the climates remarkably similar.

Having said that, I do agree with you that latitude isn't everything.

SL

StrayLight
07-05-06, 11:17
=============================================

Hi StrayLight,

Of course, one could just click on one of the clearly labeled Buenos Aires weather links on the front page of the Forum for the latest weather info here.

Jackson

Wouldn't that be just a bit too obvious? LOL!

SL