PDA

View Full Version : Champagne costs in Buenos Aires

SleepyRice
07-25-06, 06:30
May sound a little strange - but I typically bring my own. Especially when I head to Cambodia or the Philippines. I prefer to start my evening (and my mornings) with a glass or two.

For some reason - never quite figured out why - Champagne (even sparkling wine) is always at a premium in bars, clubs, a-go-gos - why? Sparkling wine should the price of wine. Yeah? But it's literaly 10x the price (if not 20x)

Anyway - not to get off on a tangient - what's the selection like in BA? Everyone talks about what good (and cheap) wine you can get - same true for bubbly?

Any good labels from Argentina?

Thnx.

MiddleAgeGuy
07-25-06, 11:41
There are plenty of nicely priced champangnes in Argentina. Chandon is a popular brand with different quality and dryness levels. There are others also but the names escape me.

MAG

Spassmusssein
07-25-06, 13:16
You will find a large variety of "champagne" Mendoza-made here.

Best relation quality / price are Mont Reims Brut (Bodega Lopez 10 Pesos in Supermarket)

Federico de Alvear secco (10 - 12 Pesos)

Or "Noveciento" (appr. 9 Pesos)

Never buy "Demi sec", too sweet and makes harder headache than the worst chica.

Sparkling wine for example "New Age" (arround 6 Pesos)

In specialized shops you will also find the real french stuff like Vueve Clicquot (250 - 280 Pesos) up to Dom Perignon (800 - 900 Pesos)

Enjoy it!

MCSE
07-26-06, 05:25
May sound a little strange - but I typically bring my own. Especially when I head to Cambodia or the Philippines. I prefer to start my evening (and my mornings) with a glass or two.

For some reason - never quite figured out why - Champagne (even sparkling wine) is always at a premium in bars, clubs, a-go-gos - why? Sparkling wine should the price of wine. Yeah? But it's literaly 10x the price (if not 20x)

Anyway - not to get off on a tangient - what's the selection like in BA? Everyone talks about what good (and cheap) wine you can get - same true for bubbly?

Any good labels from Argentina?

Thnx.I totally agree on your point, real champagne is Dom Perignon and other french brands and is available in BA for around 100 Euro.

Anyway, Chandon is very good and my favorite, perhaps I always fill the refrigerator with a Chandon bottle on my apartments www.barts.com.ar when premier rentals.

The classic is the yellow label, but my favorite Chandon is the Pinot Noire, great product.

Yes, all of these you menctioned including Chandon those are sparkling wines. Sometimes they try to put more sugar and in my oppinion (as happens with the mont remise) they fix the product with sugar, the same happens when fixing the butter with salt, muum is another good option as also tosso brut.

My Argentinean partner when I've just arrived teached me many things about the Argentiean culture and one of them was having lunch with Chandon two blocks away from the office in downtown, then going to the bulo. That was my life at work.

Marco Porteņo
07-27-06, 13:47
Regular Chandon is usually OK and will set you back some 20 pesos. If you want to splurge try the Baron be.