PDA

View Full Version : Dogg's Jazz Musings

El Perro
07-25-06, 15:44
Well, I'll take Jackson's green light and start a thread here designed to let me blow some notes re: the local jazz scene. I definitely will not be out on the town every night trying to do an exhaustive survey, so any and all contributions are very welcome. In addition, info pertaining to other musical genres would be nice (go slow on the C & W please;) Most of the jazz I see happens at Notorious and Thelonious. These places will often book bands to play once a week for a month or more. So, if you catch a band, your impressions posted here, can provide some info for others thinking about taking in the same band later on. In other words, you are just not jacking off, but providing a service. And another point, my spanish is still very limited, so I rarely venture to La Nacion, or Clarin. This is a definite drawback as regards monitoring the local music scene. If any of you spanish speakers / readers know of upcoming events some of us are ignorant of, please chime in.

Thanks-Dogg

Ricardo
07-25-06, 19:31
Great thread topic. As a dedicated jazz fan I have been to Notorious several times and will do Thelonious soon. I hope that any responders who recommend artists or events will as best they can briefly describe the jazz genre that will be played - e. G. - straight ahead, smooth jazz, bop, acoustic, blues, fusion, etc.

Bacchus9
07-27-06, 13:01
Felicidades DB for the Jazz thread.

This morning, 27/07/06, there's a great article in Buenos Aires Herald reprising Ray Barretto who died last February and continuing on into contemporary offerings of Afro-Latin jazz. His last recording has been released, "Time Was -Time is", and available locally. The BAH has become a staple read not just because it's in English but great articles and insights into the inner workings of Argentina, pungent reporting on the U. S., plus the charming events section which makes a city of 8 million seem all very local. Music reviews are available it seems weekly.

Moving on, the article by Miguel Bronfman reports on "El Club del Disco" www.clubdeldisco.com, launched to distribute Argentine music from independent labels. They celebrate one year tomorrow at a place I've never heard of No Avestruz, Humboldt 1857 with Ezequiel Borra (new album release plus new music) and also on Saturday the 29th with Puente Celeste ("one of the most eclectic, versatile and intense groups on the scene") 9:30 pm for both.

This weekend Thelonius goes with 3 different trios, Machline-Herrera-Lapouble (standards plus originals) on Friday the 28th at 10 pm, Cavalli-Otero-Tarzia (standards plus originals) Saturday the 29th, Tres Bien Ensemble (originals plus wide repertoire) on Sunday the 30th. Salguero 1884. 10 p. M.

Also Notorius, continuing the Latin jazz theme, with Mariano Diaz, Spain based pianist and composer, as quartet performing original compositions "in a straight ahead, modern jazz style" plus standards. Next Mondays, 8-1 and 8-7, at 9.30 pm. Callao 966.

A pretty rich ticket starting tomorrow night. Would be great if anyone who goes reports on the styles of music.

El Perro
07-29-06, 15:39
I bounced around Palermo some last night. First, I checked out Ezequiel Borra at a restaurant / theatre space name of NoAvestruz in Palermo Hollywood (Humboldt 1857-I'll start a thread on this place elsewhere) Borra's show was sponsored by El Club del Disco, which is a local organization invested in promoting independent argentine musicians. He plays acoustic guitar / sings and was backed by a stand up bass, electric guitar and a percussionist who also doubled on coronet. Impressive but hard to categorize. Jazzy, folky and the vocals were reminiscent of Jeff Buckley. A very talented bunch, though I didn't understand a word of the lyrics. Avant-gardeish place is NoAvestruz with a combination of beatnik types, tweedy cognoscenti and what appeared to be a veggie menu. No smoking.

Then on to Thelonious to see the midnight show billed as "blue / break / beats" guitar trio. They have played there every Friday night at midnight in July. Pretty entertaining but a short show after the main event earlier. Guitarist, stand up bass and standard drum kit. Kind of Wes Montgomery meets Danny Gatton. Again, very talented young guys. The guitarist had an old hollow body Gibson and looked like he had done nothing in life other than study and play guitar in between chainsmoking Marlboros. I believe he had every lick down from that style of guitar playing, and impressive, but no real style of his own. The bassist and drummer good as well, though the drummer had this affected "I'm into it" look on his face throughout, that was irritating. Youda' thought he was getting his balls licked instead of playing drums.

Summary-I continue to be impressed by the amount of young musical talent in BA. It's everywhere, and cheap to listen. NoAvestruz was 10p and the Thelonious late show 5p. I don't know what some of y'all do in the many hours before the best club mongering kicks in, but there is alot of music out there.

Dogg

El Perro
08-24-06, 17:00
Per the Buenos Aires Herald today, the Dave Holland Quintet will be in BA September 27 at Teatro Coliseo, Marcelo T. De Alvear 1225 at 9:30 pm. I saw them in Montreal three years ago and they were outstanding. Chris Potter is great on tenor sax. Has anybody been to the Teatro Coliseo?

Also, some chick singer, accompanied by a cellist and pianist is at No Avestruz Saturday night. Reportedly doing american songbook tunes of the jazz variety. Sounds interesting, and is a very different venue. See the thread for this place under bars / restaurants.

Big Bob 7
08-24-06, 22:44
I can't wait to see Dave Holland again. He has been great every time I ever saw him. The first time was in Boston with the guitar quartet of Kevin Eubanks, Marvin "Smitty" Smith, and Steve Coleman. The last time I saw them was with the new group with Steve Nelson on vibes and Kevin's brother Robin on trombone at Carnegie Hall on a double bill with Wayne Shorter. They were really amazing. I was shocked to turn on the Arts and Entertainment Channel on cable a couple of weeks ago and realize that they were actually showing a live performance of that same band in Europe. You would NEVER get something like that on regular T. V. In the states. I was at Thelonius the other night and the piano player who was playing told me about a late night jam session somewhere but I was pretty drunk and I don't remember the name of the place. Has anyone been there before?

[QUOTE=Doggboy]Per the Buenos Aires Herald today, the Dave Holland Quintet will be in BA September 27 at Teatro Coliseo, Marcelo T. De Alvear 1225 at 9:30 pm. I saw them in Montreal three years ago and they were outstanding. Chris Potter is great on tenor sax. Has anybody been to the Teatro Coliseo?

El Perro
08-24-06, 23:27
[QUOTE=Big Bob 7] I was at Thelonius the other night and the piano player who was playing told me about a late night jam session somewhere but I was pretty drunk and I don't remember the name of the place. Has anyone been there before?

Big Bob,

I heard from a fellow monger about a jam session at a place called Pedraza. Reportedly a house on Manuela Pedraza, 2 blocks west of Cabildo in Belgrano. I have not checked it out.

El Perro
08-26-06, 14:34
I checked out the Thelonious website today, and with my shitty espanol, it appears they are temporarily closed due to "municipal reasons". My bet is noise problems with neighbors, but who knows.

Dickhead
08-26-06, 15:54
It isn't closed, but the live music is suspended. My guess would be fire code problems and not noise.

StrayLight
08-29-06, 14:23
Anyone happen to catch the Zo'loka? Trio at No Avenstruz (Humbolt 1857) this past Saturday?

Nice write up beforehand in the Buenos Aires Herald. I wanted to go, but got diverted.

SL

El Perro
08-29-06, 14:24
Anyone happen to catch the Zo'loka? Trio at No Avenstruz (Humbolt 1857) this past Saturday?

Nice write up beforehand in the Buenos Aires Herald. I wanted to go, but got diverted.

SLI got diverted also. It did sound interesting.

Bacchus9
08-30-06, 22:14
Last night tomorrow, Thursday, to catch this German opera written in 1928 which captured the new jazz age, the music and the promise of the new America for Europeans.

You'll likely have to cop a ticket and a seat from someone selling at the door, but vale la pena. That's how I got mine at 120 p and great location, mezzanine, row 11 on the aisle no less. Teatro Colon.

Bacchus9
08-31-06, 19:14
Every Monday in September @ 9 pm at La Trastienda Blacarce 460.

Bass Player and composer Mariano Otero has formed a 13 piece orchestra billed as "exciting".

These can be great venues a la Charlie Mingus big band in Manhattan and Pearl's in San Francisco.

Every Saturday in September at Clasica why Moderna @ 10 pm Callao 892

Fats Fernandez trumpet player "one of the most beloved Argentine jazzmen of all time" blows Porteño blues.

Bacchus says check it out

Bacchus9
09-12-06, 13:39
Finally made it to La Trastienda last night to catch this 13 piece orchestra doing original jazz works. 15 pesos is the get, a very good medium sized club with tables and table service for drinks.

And these young guys plus the older drummer are ripping good. If you love jazz, if you love jazz as played in the northern hemisphere, if you love the idea of catching inflections of latin music in jazz, if you love harmonies and brass solos you shouldn't miss this. Otero is the band leader and plays stand up bass.

Every Monday in September at 9 pm, Balcarce 460. Suggest you arrive by 8:15 to get good position, but even if late I don't think there's a bad seat in the house.

StrayLight
09-14-06, 04:58
From a recent e-mail I received. I went to have dinner and see a performance here last month. The particular music that night was not my kind of jazz, but nonetheless this is probably a pretty good e-mail list to be on if you want to keep abreast of everything that's going on around town.

Cuidar al artista, preservar la ultura.

Organiza:

Jueves 14 de septiembre a las 21,00

Adrián Birlis Cuarteto.

Ritmos de Jazz latino con.

Cantante invitada Mónica.

Adrian Birlis piano, Damiàn Vernis bajo, Facundo Fererira baterìa,

Modernel.

Jueves 21 de septiembre a las 21,00

Homenaje a Tom Jobim por el Cuarteto del Sur.

El cuarteto que interpreta con sentimiento al gran compositor brasileño está compuesto por Federico Faulhaber en voz why guitarra, Ariel Kulaf en contrabajo, Gastón Puy en guitarra why Ariel Casas en batería.

Jueves 28 de septiembre a las 21,30

Nu Groover Soul.

Anita Bacci en voz, Pablo Carmona en contrabajo, Cristian Jerez en piano why Claudio Risso en batería interpretan a Steve Wonder, entre otros.

En Ayacucho Resto & Lounge Bar.

Ayacucho 2183

Reservas al 4 803 14 33/1448

VALET PARKING why ESTACIONAMIENTO SIN CARGO.

El derecho al show socios será de $ 10 why no socios $ 15

Idea why organización:

ASOCIACION ARGENTINA AMIGOS DEL JAZZ.

Informes: 155-800-2974

O por mail a:asociacion_amigosdeljazz@yahoo. Com. Ar

El Perro
09-25-06, 12:46
I am going to finally catch the Mariano Otero bunch at La Trastienda tonight. If you are interested in joining up I'll be there about 8:15 as advised by Bacchus9.

BTW-I checked out a Beatles "tribute" at Gropius Bar in Palermo over the weekend. Avoid. They sounded like off key Beatles combined with the Manhatten Transfer. Not for Beatles strict constructionists.

Big Bob 7
09-25-06, 13:35
Does anybody know where I can get tickets for Dave Holland in Palermo? Can you only get them at the theatre? How much are they?

Big Bob 7
09-26-06, 02:34
Does anybody know where I can get tickets for Dave Holland in Palermo? Can you only get them at the theatre? How much are they?I found the answer to my own question today when I saw a poster advertising the gig. Ticketek is selling them.

JengisKhan
09-26-06, 04:25
I know its not jazz. But I heard from a friend that Maceo Parker is coming to town soon. Too bad I won't be here. Not sure where or when but I'm sure someone on this board does.

El Perro
09-26-06, 11:23
Yes, Maceo is coming to town and will be at La Trastienda. Where I went last night and saw The Mariano Otero Orchestra. A fine, tight, talented bunch of guys, though not quite my cup a tea. Big bands in general not at the top of my list (unless it's Duke during the Hodges heyday:)). Anyway, they were definitely worthwhile and the drummer was a motherfucker. Nice venue. My first time there.

El Perro
09-26-06, 11:39
Papa,

Yeah, it was packed out. I think last night was his last gig there for the moment. That is a very good place to see music. Not too big, not to small. The acoustics are ok, the place is not too formal. Plus, it gets you out of the "safe" part of town for a change.

El Perro
09-26-06, 11:42
And, Thelonious is back open with music beginning this Friday. That was a pretty lengthy shutdown.

Big Bob 7
09-26-06, 21:36
I have never seen him play but I think that the poster for the Dave Holland show tommorrow listed Otero as the opening act. Check it out.

El Perro
10-21-06, 14:25
Virasoro Bar back with live jazz and lots of it (see listing under "bars / restaurants") A small place with a beatnicky, mostly college age crowd. A good, relaxed place to see jazz, much of which is "cutting edge" and not for the Lawrence Welk bunch.:)

Big Bob 7
10-22-06, 21:15
The Bad Plus is coming on the 26 and the 27th of October I believe. I saw a poster and didn't have my cell so I am trying to work on memory alone and if you only knew the kind of severe punishment that these brain cells have taken you would understand why some of the info here is vague at best. They are a piano trio (piano, bass, and drums) and I think that they are from the US. Their concept is to try and tackle more modern music and modern grooves while still remaining true to the tradition. I saw them perform on cable in the States and was impressed overall. Some of their experiments work and some of them don't but it's good to hear a band trying to stretch and do something different. The band has a lot of energy so they have been doing gigs on the jazz and the jam band circuit. I'm going to pass the poster again tommorrow so if no one beats me to it I will return to post the location of the show. I know that tickets can be purchased through Ticketek and you can definately get the info there as well.

Ricardo
10-23-06, 12:57
This trio is excellent. Let us all know where they are playing. It will be a very good show no doubt.

El Perro
11-17-06, 22:42
Tomorrow at Virasoro Bar in Palermo Mariano Otero is on bass with a trio. I've posted about this place a few times. Very intimate (read small) snack and maybe slightly more than snack food. A place for musicians to do what they want to do. I have been impressed here before, and reason would have it that if Otero is part of something it's likely worthwhile. There's a thread on this place under "bars / restaurants".

El Perro
03-24-07, 13:30
Finally had the great pleasure of seeing this wonderfully creative trio last night at Espacio Electico in San Telmo. A very professional show that was as much about presentation as the music, and both were exceptional. The focus was avant garde arrangements of popular american showtunes and jazz. Not some bullshit, college level fucking around. Extremely talented people who know what they are doing and enjoy themselves. The chick singer could be working Broadway, or cabarets anywhere in the world. She is accompanied by a piano player and a guy on cello. That's it, but what an unbelievable sound they have. This is NOT chamber music, despite the instruments involved. If you are a fan of jazz from the 20's to 50's, and can handle, or like, off beat arrangements, then this is for you. They play the same venue next Friday. If, however, you are anxiously awaiting the next tour of Molly Hatchett, I would avoid.;)

Here is a link:

http://www.zolokatrio.com.ar/

StrayLight
03-25-07, 08:42
Finally had the great pleasure of seeing this wonderfully creative trio last night at Espacio Electico in San Telmo...Here is a link:

http://www.zolokatrio.com.ar/Thanks, man. Since I missed them at No Avestruz last year, I've been trying to catch them somewhere else. Been sporatically checking the papers and Googling with no luck. Sounds like something I'll enjoy seeing, and with this link I'm certain to do so soon.

SL

Big Bob 7
03-25-07, 09:44
I hope that everyone really enjoyed the Ateneo Jazz Festival this week. The highlights were James Moody, Terrence Blanchard, Luis Salinas, Eddie Gomez, and Gonzalo Rubalcaba. Great venue and great music. I have a question though. The other day I was out by Corrientes and Callao and I ran into this great bookstore called GandhiGalerna. I have seen this place advertised in guidebooks as being the "other" location of Notorious. The way it is set up is that there is a radio station right as you come in the door on your left (They were doing a live interview broadcast when I was there) and then there is a coffee shop. If you keep walking straight through the coffee shop you wind up in the bookstore. If you take the steps upstairs you wind up in a club with a really nice stage and a bar with tables. When I was there nothing was going on musically and as I just happened on the place by chance and was kind of in a hurry I didn't have time to ask anyone about the music. I am wondering if this is actually another jazz venue or if maybe it was at one time but the space has been bought out and the format of the music has been changed. It is really strange that these guidebooks are referring to it as Notorius but I see no reference to this place on the Official Notorious Website and I have never heard anyone in town even talk about it.

El Perro
03-25-07, 14:58
Thanks, man. Since I missed them at No Avestruz last year, I've been trying to catch them somewhere else. Been sporatically checking the papers and Googling with no luck. Sounds like something I'll enjoy seeing, and with this link I'm certain to do so soon.

SLHello Stray. I am sure you will like the show. Like nothing I have ever seen. Both No Avestruz and Espacio Electico are small places, so I would suggest you get there at least a half hour early to insure you get a seat. By the way, I recently came across a local blog that has a ton of info about the local jazz scene (in spanish) Here's the link:

http://euskirtxoko.blogspot.com/

StrayLight
03-25-07, 23:21
By the way, I recently came across a local blog that has a ton of info about the local jazz scene...Thanks. Appreciate it.

On a side note, I recently bought a DVD collection of a late-1950s television series called "Peter Gunn."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Gunn

Don't know if you ever saw it or remember it. It was a noir-ish private eye series, and the backdrop of every show was a jazz club called "Mother's". The overall soundtrack was by Henry Mancini, and the theme song was as classic in its own way as the James Bond theme song was. The show is kind of lame by today's standards, but it was my youthful introduction to jazz, and as such, it's very cool to watch and listen to 45+ years later.

Thanks again,

SL

El Perro
05-01-07, 16:09
For the adventuresome few, Sex Mob is playing Saturday night at Teatro ND / Ateneo, Paraguay 918. They are a hectic, avant garde "jazz" band out of NYC. I saw them in a very small place in Miami Beach about four years ago. While not an easy listening experience, they are very talented, creative and funny. My concern is that if this venue on Paraguay is too large, they will lose some of the power that comes with a smaller place. Anyway, an opportunity to see a semi famous cult band in Buenos Aires. They will not be playing "Moon River".;)

El Perro
05-02-07, 15:12
Sex Mob is playing this Friday the 4th-NOT Saturday!

Sex Mob's website:

http://www.stevenbernstein.net/sexmobmain

El Perro
05-03-07, 16:43
As of the BA Herald today, the Sex Mob date is Wednesday, May 9-same venue. Nice interview today with Steven Bernstein, founding member of Sex Mob and long time NYC alt-jazz scene stalwart.

StrayLight
08-16-07, 11:49
PERRO NEGRO.

www.restoranperronegro.com.ar

http://www.restaurant.com.ar/main/masinfo.php?id=4814

Ricardo Fernández 1315
Ingeniero Maschwitz.
Km 41,5 del ramal Escobar de la Panamericana.
(03488) 447619 o 155-870-6848
restoranperronegro@gmail. Com

AGOSTO

Galería Musical.

Jueves 2

Gabriel Santecchia.
El joven saxofonista del jazz local,
Dueño de una versatilidad y sensualidad únicas,
Se presenta junto al contrabajista Arturo Puertas y el baterista Germán Boco. Tres artistas que actúan habitualmente.
En los escenarios más prestigiosos de Buenos Aires,
Tales como el Alvear Palace Hotel,
El Museo Renault, Notorius y el Faena Hotel.

Jueves 9

Barbie Martínez y Ángel Sucheras.
Jazz clásico, en la voz de Martínez y el piano de Sucheras.

Viernes 10

Daniela Horovitz Trío.
Música brasileña de todos los tiempos, con Daniela Horovitz, en voz;
Leandro Cacioni, en guitarra, y Lucas Helguero, en percusión.
Desde Tom Jobim, Ary Barroso y Dorival Caymmy.
Hasta Caetano Veloso, Djavan y Chico Buarque.

Jueves 16

Betty Griffith.
Griffith, la nueva voz negra del jazz local y revelación en PERRO NEGRO,
Acompañada por el pianista Roberto García Araujo.

Viernes 17

Pinceladas de tango.
El cantante Sergio Mandel y el guitarrista Vasco Echegoyen.
Interpretan a Gardel, Cadícamo, Mores y Troilo, entre otros grandes creadores.

Domingo 19

Livia Barbosa y Manuel Fraga.
La Dama del Jazz, por primera vez en PERRO NEGRO, interpreta,
Acompañada por el maestro Fraga, a los grandes creadores del género.

Jueves 23

Sonia Ursini.
Música encantada.
De lo sagrado a lo profano.
Del mundo clásico y lírico al popular.
Ursini, en voz y piano, comienza con Haendel; pasa por Bizet why Puccini;
Recrea a Gershwin, y se adentra en Astor Piazzolla y Eladia Blázquez.

Viernes 24

Mastrocola Trío.
Piano, contrabajo y batería.
Tres talentos que presentan su nuevo disco en PERRO NEGRO,
Tras ser invitados al ciclo Jazzología de la Secretaría de Cultura porteña.

Jueves 30

Sophie Luessi.
Calidez musical.
La joven violinista sueca Sophie Luessi,
Acompañada por el contrabajista Adrián de Felippo.
y el guitarrista Ramiro Panovi.

Viernes 31

Juan Carlos Cirigliano why Hugo Pierre.
El humor, unido al más elevado nivel interpretativo del jazz de dos grandes maestros: Juan Carlos Cirigliano, en piano, why Hugo Pierre, en saxo y flauta.

StrayLight
08-16-07, 22:22
Anyone know of an impersonator show tonight?No, but "Kissin' Cousins" is on the tube tonight.

El Perro
08-16-07, 22:29
No, but "Kissin' Cousins" is on the tube tonight.I'm watching it right now -FANTASTIC! ("Taxi Driver" on tonight at 22:00)

StrayLight
08-16-07, 23:00
I'm watching it right now -FANTASTIC! ("Taxi Driver" on tonight at 22:00)You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? LOL! Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to watch it.

Hey, Yvonne Craig's pretty hot, eh? From hillbilly cousin to Batgirl. How did I miss fantasizing about her when I was a kid?

El Perro
08-16-07, 23:38
You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? LOL! Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to watch it.

Hey, Yvonne Craig's pretty hot, eh? From hillbilly cousin to Batgirl. How did I miss fantasizing about her when I was a kid?So that's who that was. I thought I recognized her. The highlight of the movie was Ma singing about missing Papa, with harmony by the bloodhound. Heart wrenching. Surprisingly, I had never seen the movie before.

El Perro
09-14-07, 12:40
Does anyone have any experience with this venue? At Triunvirato 4311.

http://www.domusartis.com.ar/index.php?mod=bandas&pag=1

El Perro
05-03-08, 10:59
Here is a new and welcome addition to see jazz in BA. Apparently this place has been around for some time, but switched to a jazz / supper club format in the past five months or so. I took in a show last night with a fellow monger and his date featuring some folks of Buena Vista Social Club fame. Very entertaining. This a very nice place, semi swanky decor and with decent food. I would say an alternative to Notorious for quality of the acts and general experience. In the Microcenter at Reconquista 974. Just up the street from Kilkenny's.

http://www.club-bsas.com.ar/

El Perro
05-03-08, 14:48
What time do they start playing? Is there a cover or minimum?Hey Sid,

Last night the admission was 25p, but it appears to vary depending on who is playing. I believe there was a 5p cubierto for a table. The food is reasonably priced and the lomo pimiento was enjoyed by all three of us. Nice place to take a date. Last night's show started at 10, but again that might not always be the case. The website lists upcoming shows and I noticed that some acts who play Notorious on a regular basis are scheduled. Like Walter Malosetti. Check it out.

El Perro
05-15-08, 17:45
Two dates at Teatro Rex to be aware of:

John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers-May 21

John Scofield-May 28.

StrayLight
05-16-08, 00:20
John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers-May 21.Interesting. I just ripped "Turning Point" the other day. Great album. I wonder if he still has it in him.

El Perro
05-16-08, 00:42
Interesting. I just ripped "Turning Point" the other day. Great album. I wonder if he still has it in him.Hello Stray! I don't know. I do know he has always been a tireless worker. No smoke and no drink. A health nut. So, he should still have the energy and he's a blues maniac, so possibly still has the passion. I will definitely be at the Scofield date. Might wait until the last minute on Mayall. Too bad Peter Green ain't there with him:) By the by-I'm reading Clapton's autobiography-a good read and very revealing about the crazy life and times.

StrayLight
05-16-08, 08:16
Too bad Peter Green ain't there with him:) Back in the day, I went to see Rod Stewart perform once at Goddard College in Vermont. Rod had a bad voice that night and couldn't make it through the act. By some miracle, Peter Green was in the audience -- with his guitar! -- and came on stage and jammed with the band deep into the morning. It was great. (Those were the days...)

El Perro
12-28-08, 14:01
Unfoturnantly, I did not have Doggboy's experience! The food was pre-prepared, like a ''blue plate special'' at 35 pesos (rated a 2 of 10) 2 Quilmes for 20 pesos, cuberto 5 pesos, and the unspecified band cover of 40 pesos (outrageous for a lousy band) Service was terrible! The band started 1 hour late. I wanted to leave immediately! I ask for the owner about all of the above. He refused any discount and basically told me to ''get fucked''! A normal AR response! It was an over 35 age group crowd. The AR women do not ''age'' well! AVOID!Thanks for the update El Sid. I have not been back to this place in quite a while. I have noticed that they are recycling their acts over and over again. Not a good sign, and it sounds like that ain't the only problem.

AllIWantIsLove
02-12-09, 23:42
This is a great find Sidney, thanks for bringing it to our attention. The web site is at http://www.delcolorado.com.ar/

You'll find the entertainment schedule under the Espectáculos tab. And a great feature of the schedule is that for most performers there is an audio clip - so you can get some idea of whether the entertainment will appeal to you.

If anyone knows of similar places, or maybe a web site listing similar places, I hope you will contribute that knowledge to the board. Some of us don't have the constitution to be screwing and drinking 24/7.

Do we have a thread for such venues?

AllIWantIsLove (and occasionally some entertainment which doesn't give me a headache)

Guemes 3657. Last night a terrific Cuban / Carribbean 12 piece orchestra. Tonight is the best entertainer I have seen in AR, Juan Vattaone. I will be there! Entry 20 pesos. Litro Quilmes 13 pesos. Starts at 930pm to 1am. Bus #39+#152 to the entrance (MT Alvear to Charcas to Guemes)

Azmitgom
02-13-09, 15:39
I went to see Juan Vattone and had agreat time, really nice place, thx Sidney!

Besides, locro is one of my favourite dishes.

El Perro
04-21-10, 18:32
Medeski, Martin and Wood in BsAs Friday May 14.

They are in Montevideo the 16th. Heppa.

Exon123
04-21-10, 20:50
Nice to hear from you Dogg.

Exon

El Perro
06-08-11, 13:37
Late notice for tonight-John Pizzarelli and his quartet at La Trastienda in San Telmo. If you don't know him, think Harry Connick, Jr. but with a guitar rather than a piano. Consummate pro. Always puts on an excellent show. I've seen him twice-NYC and Montreal-always great.

Tomorrow-The legend, Wayne Shorter, at Teatro Gran Rex. Arguably the best jazz saxman in the past 50 years.

AllIWantIsLove
06-09-11, 02:43
John Pizzarelli has a weekly radio show called Radio Delux and you can listen to old shows here:

http://www.johnpizzarelli.com/RadioDeluxePastShows.html

The show includes his music but is mostly similar music by other artists.

Bob.

Late notice for tonight-John Pizzarelli and his quartet at La Trastienda in San Telmo. If you don't know him, think Harry Connick, Jr. But with a guitar rather than a piano. Consummate pro. Always puts on an excellent show. I've seen him twice-NYC and Montreal-always great.

Tomorrow-The legend, Wayne Shorter, at Teatro Gran Rex. Arguably the best jazz saxman in the past 50 years.