PDA

View Full Version : Thiefs at Ezeiza

Malaga
07-25-06, 21:36
As probably all of you allready know, you can get robbed everywhere and got to take your precautions. I this situation I'm afraid I did not.

On Thursday I had the early morning flight to Sao Paulo that leaves at 06.40. I checked inn with one bag where unfourtunately the lock was not working anymore. When I arrived in Sao Paulo I discovered some had taken my ipod photo.

I¨m sure it was one of the cargo guys at Ezeiza since it was early in the morning, fewer people at work and less to do.

Malaga

Rock Harders
07-26-06, 09:31
Malaga,

Sometime on my trip between JFK and EZE in April 2006 my Norelco electric shaver was stolen out of my checked luggage. It was over five years old and not worth much, but the inconvenience of not having an electric shaver while residing here was a pain until someone brought me a new one from the EEUU. Clearly it is foolish to put anything in your checked luggage that has significant easy cash value. Your $400 USD IPod sells for $1000 USD at the Apple Store in Recoleta, and the baggage guy at Ezeiza makes $300 USD a month if he's lucky, so go figure. I did not think anybody would steal an old electric razor otherwise it would not have been packed in my checked backage.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Punter 127
07-26-06, 10:51
I have also learned this lesson the hard way. I once had a set of travel speakers ($80us) taken from my luggage on a trip to BsAs and I had TSA approved lock broken off my luggage. I had a four hour layover at ATL, and only about fifteen minutes at EZE from the time I landed and the time I got my bags, I think the speakers were taken at ATL, it can happen anyplace. Don't put anything of value in you checked bags, especially if it is small in size. I think locks just suggest that something of value is inside.

Thomaso276
07-26-06, 10:56
I think alot of the theft happens from your point of origin. Isn't there a board member who used to work for airlines? I would imagine it is more difficult to open and search luggage from the tarmac than it is in the storage facility at your point of origin. In Miami, for example, they tend to open every piece of checked luggage (somewhere in the terminal) and then leave a little note saying they were inside the bag!

I started using the plastic wrapping when flying from USA to BA. Just another deterrent when stuff arrives here in BA.

Sportsman
07-26-06, 14:18
I never had an item lost / stolen from my checked luggage before until my BA trip earlier this month. I had my voltage converter kit in the outside pocket of my duffle bag. When I picked it up at the US entry point, I noticed the zipper to outside pocket was opened and the converter was missing. It could have been stolen, fell out, or left behind when TSA inspected the luggage. Anyway, the airline took the info but they referred me to TSA for a claim. I haven't done it yet and don't feel like going through the hassle now. Now I have to shop for a new kit that is as good as the one I had. It was in a nice hard shell case with a transformer and five different types of adapter plugs. I haven't found one with those accessories yet.

Capt Dave
07-26-06, 14:28
Sporty.

I found that kit at WalMart (in the US) Don't know if they still stock them, but it was a handy set!

David.

I never had an item lost / stolen from my checked luggage before until my BA trip earlier this month. I had my voltage converter kit in the outside pocket of my duffle bag. When I picked it up at the US entry point, I noticed the zipper to outside pocket was opened and the converter was missing. It could have been stolen, fell out, or left behind when TSA inspected the luggage. Anyway, the airline took the info but they referred me to TSA for a claim. I haven't done it yet and don't feel like going through the hassle now. Now I have to shop for a new kit that is as good as the one I had. It was in a nice hard shell case with a transformer and five different types of adapter plugs. I haven't found one with those accessories yet.

El Greco
07-26-06, 19:11
I think alot of the theft happens from your point of origin. Isn't there a board member who used to work for airlines? I would imagine it is more difficult to open and search luggage from the tarmac than it is in the storage facility at your point of origin.The most common place to open a luggage is inside the aircraft's "bulk" luggage compartment when they load / offload them. Nobody can see them there although they usually don't do it alone but in groups of two or three.

Depending on the airport's automation system there are other places, of course, to open a luggage, especially at night.

Best thing is the plastic wrap protection and to keep all valluables in the carry on luggage.

El Greco

Sportsman
07-26-06, 20:50
Sporty.

I found that kit at WalMart (in the US) Don't know if they still stock them, but it was a handy set!

David.Thanks David, I browsed through my local Walmart last week and did not see any. I'll stop by there again to check in out.

Punter 127
07-26-06, 22:02
Thanks David, I browsed through my local Walmart last week and did not see any. I'll stop by there again to check in out.I got mine at Bestbuy.

MiddleAgeGuy
07-27-06, 11:58
A few years ago, like an idiot, I put a video camera in its' carrier case in my suitcase. I believe it was stolen in EZE coming to BA with a short pick-up stop in Sao Paulo. (it was one of the last bags on the carrousel) I'm sure the ladrones got a surprise when they saw that all the directions in the viewfinder were in Chinese characters; I had picked it up in Hong Kong a few years earlier.

As for that plastic wrap, I don't get it. If security decides they want to look in your bag, they just tear it off, don't they?

MAG

Moore
07-27-06, 13:47
As for that plastic wrap, I don't get it. If security decides they want to look in your bag, they just tear it off, don't they?I don't wrap anymore, but yes they will tear it off. One time the check-in security at EZE did a full inpection of my bags before I checked in. They gave me a voucher so I could go back and rewrap afterwards. I suppose that the wrap makes a bag a less attractive target for baggage handlers that have only a few minutes to steal something.

Local Lad
07-27-06, 15:01
I had my laptop stolen somewhere between airport and Heathrow in April. Packed it in hard leather case in the middle of my kit bag. When I got back home pulled out the leather laptop case which was suspiciously light to discover laptop removed. On reflection my own fault for not taking as carry on luggage & not putting a lock on my bag. If the thief understood English and checked my history he would have had some interesting reading!

TangoManiac
07-28-06, 03:46
Malaga,

Your $400 USD IPod sells for $1000 USD at the Apple Store in Recoleta,

Suerte,

Dirk DigglerWait, if I brought a bunch of iPods from the EEUU, could I sell them for much higher down there easily? That could easily pay for a months visit! Dirk, you are a GENIUS! COSTCO HERE I COME!

Malaga
08-01-06, 13:07
It's so sad to be without my I-pod. I've defiantly got to get me an new one. Been to this apple store at Ayacucha and don't remember exactly the price, but yeah it's a lot more than we pay in Europe or in the USA.

I see that the normal price for an 60 GB is 399 US$ at Apple.com. Any americans coming down here that could bring me one? Send me an pm and I'm sure we can get to an arrangment on the price.

Fred88
08-02-06, 20:19
Often when I travel I use a cheap piece of luggage (US 10) that I get from a sidewalk vendor or Asian store. They're good for at least one trip, and with a hastily filled-out airline ID tag, baggage handlers guess that you're poor, cheap, or both and have not much worthwhile inside. Since I've been doing this I've had nothing taken. I also don't use special straps or luggage locks or anything. Got this on a tip from a JFK airport worker some time ago.

Sportsman
10-05-07, 20:34
The article in Spanish is here:

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/EdicionImpresa/informaciongeneral/nota.asp?nota_id=950360&pid=3296959&toi=5258

I found it from this forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=743173

It appears the money stolen was from the US Federal Reserve and it was an EZE inside job.

Hobby Fan
10-06-07, 00:38
Sportsman:

This theft is the page 1 banner headline in Clarin and La Nacion. Apparently $ 100,000 US was stolen by baggage handlers. The response was so strong that the airport basically closed down, causing massive delays and 9 flight cancellations.

Before we all freak out, and further to my point: can you imagine that a $ 100,000 theft basically shutting down a US airport? [[And what are the facts? I doubt that the US Reserve Bank is really involved. I don't think they do such small transactions.]]

Too bad Dickhead does not still post, he might have a sophisticated read on this. Maybe he will PM me and I can comment more intelligently....

Member #3314
10-06-07, 01:28
I read this.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601086&sid=ajsgEFcEOh2I&refer=latin_america

I would of figured there would have been a guy with a briefcase handcuffed to his wrist, or something better than another bag in the bag pit.

80K$ is what a doctor makes in what 20 years?

Rainot
10-06-07, 01:52
Not long ago there was another story on luggage handlers opening bags:

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2007/08/10/policiales/g-06401.htm

Important: don't pack expensive electronic devices in your luggage, always take it with you. Be it a laptop, pda, cell phone, psp, etc. These guys are trained to spot any of those expensive state-of-the-art gadgets, and they will even cut your bag open to get them.

Jaimito Cartero
10-06-07, 03:14
Never, ever, pack something in your checked luggage that you can't afford to lose. I've had a couple of times where I was forced to check my carry on in, and was dumb enough to not take my digital camera and / or money out, but thankfully it was in the US, and not in a high theft airport (NY / Miami)

You should familiarize yourself with the contract of carriage of airlines, and if they don't cover your item if it's lost, then you should make sure it's in your carry on. 90% of the time, I just bring my carry on, to save time in immigration, and that way less things can disappear.

Hobby Fan
04-18-08, 14:13
My luggage lock was clipped off during a recent internal flight. Security check, or intended theft? In any event, nothing was stolen. I never pack anything worth stealing.

Aqualung
04-18-08, 14:23
My luggage lock was clipped off during a recent internal flight. Security check, or intended theft? In any event, nothing was stolen. I never pack anything worth stealing.Usually when it's a security check they put a sticker on your luggage informing you of this but this is Argentina so expect it to have been a bit of both.

Lucas90
03-30-10, 01:38
An old thread but just a warning to all that this stuff is still happening. When I picked up my bag on arrival at EZE last week, I found the small padlock missing and signs of forced entry. Someone had been rummaging through the contents, although nothing was missing - I never carry anything of value in my checked in luggage. Could have happened at Madrid (where I checked the bag in) but wouldn't take more than a few seconds to do it during the unloading process here. Lots of travellers on the way out of EZE have their bags plastic wrapped for security so I'm guessing that thefts out of bags are a risk here. It's not happened to me before in many previous visits, but on this example, may be best to follow the good advice others have given lower down the thread.

Wild Walleye
03-30-10, 12:10
An old thread but just a warning to all that this stuff is still happening. When I picked up my bag on arrival at EZE last week, I found the small padlock missing and signs of forced entry. Someone had been rummaging through the contents, although nothing was missing - I never carry anything of value in my checked in luggage. Could have happened at Madrid (where I checked the bag in) but wouldn't take more than a few seconds to do it during the unloading process here. Lots of travellers on the way out of EZE have their bags plastic wrapped for security so I'm guessing that thefts out of bags are a risk here. It's not happened to me before in many previous visits, but on this example, may be best to follow the good advice others have given lower down the thread.When I first started coming to Bs As, I used to think that EZE was backward with those silly 1950s baggage carousels. It takes for f-ing ever for bags to get from the plane to the passenger (never had my bags beat me through immigration and often waited 20-40 mins on the other side) Then I got smart, the stupid little carousels can only handle so many bags, leaving all the rest out on the tarmac for impromptu, unauthorized (at least unauthorized by the owner) search and seizure.

This is SOP at EZE and should be expected every time you check your bag. The fact that it is so wide spread gives one the impression that maybe it isn't just the baggage handlers that are in on it. EZE is a major corruption hub. There was a high-level customs agent busted a couple of weeks ago at EZE for letting Argies scoot through with bags laden with newly purchased stuff (he'd get a tip as the person left EZE and then slide them through when they returned)

I never pack anything valuable (other than nice suits, ties, etc) in my checked bag (wherever I go) and I never check a bag going into Bs As (I don't like wasting the time waiting for it) If I am lucky, I can get off the plane and into a remis in about 15 mins (through immigration and customs)

Leaving EZE (if I have bought stuff or just don't want to carry my suit bag) I will consider checking a bag and if I do, I use the yellow, shrink wrap service.

Jaimito Cartero
03-30-10, 14:18
In most cases I try not to even check luggage. I learned almost 20 years ago, never to put anything of much value in bags, especially in Latin America.

Even when I've had to take commercial product to sell, you'll find that they'll pilfer a few here and there. Taking a couple of suitcases of stuff to Costa Rica, you'd find a few items taken.

Conan1965
03-30-10, 16:43
I also would like to add a comment: During our city tour last week the camera was stolen by taking a picture in "Caminito". So take care in La Boca and Caminito if you walk around. My friend was preparing his camera and a little boy was racing around, took the camera in some milliseconds and disappeared - no chance for us.

I love BA and I would only like to sensibilise you: it's a big city, some urban districts are dangerous - take care of your belongings!

Guiller
03-31-10, 19:48
http://ar.babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.criticadigital.com%2Findex.php%3Fsecc%3Dnota%26nid%3D40155&lp=es_en&btnTrUrl=Traducir

Source:
http://www.criticadigital.com/index.php?secc=nota&nid=40155

Gato Hunter
04-01-10, 00:40
I worked in the aviation industry for years. I knew many bag throwers.

If you don't want your bag to get broken into never use a lock. The TSA locks are a joke, and are a sign of something valuable inside.

Also what bag would you go through, a nice shinny and new Samsonite, or a shitty bag that's 20 years old and no lock?

I fly about 100k miles a year with a suitcase I have had for 20 years, no lock. I don't pack anything I want to lose either. I have never had anything missing from this bag.

I used a new bag twice two years ago and I got stuff jacked at LHR.

Wild Walleye
04-01-10, 12:21
I worked in the aviation industry for years. I knew many bag throwers.

If you don't want your bag to get broken into never use a lock. The TSA locks are a joke, and are a sign of something valuable inside.

Also what bag would you go through, a nice shinny and new Samsonite, or a shitty bag that's 20 years old and no lock?

I fly about 100k miles a year with a suitcase I have had for 20 years, no lock. I don't pack anything I want to lose either. I have never had anything missing from this bag.

I used a new bag twice two years ago and I got stuff jacked at LHR.Nice luggage and a lock are two excellent indications that there might be something good inside.

I try to never check a bag. Between my carry-on computer bag and a small suit bag, I can pack for a week without doing laundry. If I go longer, I do laundry. Over the years, I have whittled down my typical traveling gear.

In my computer bag / carry-on (at all times, even when sitting in the closet at home) I have:

-shaving kit in a sandwich sized baggie (with a few 1st aid items too)

-air / car computer / cell phone charger / adapter (can charge comp & two cells at the same time, anywhere)

-ipod, noise canceling headphones, adapter so I can plug it into hotel sound system or tv, extra batteries and any other adapters, cords, etc.

-extra world phone, local argie phone, prepaid cards.

When I hit the road, in goes laptop, files, notebooks, etc.; dress shirt, clean underwear & socks. Everything else goes in my suit bag. If it doesn't fit, I don't really need it. Grab my passport and I am out the door.

If I have to check a bag I try to avoid putting anything, the loss of which would have a detrimental impact on my trip, in the bag. One key element is 'can I replace 'X' where I am going and what will it cost?' I try to make sure that whatever I need on 'day 1' (if I have meetings the day I land, whatever) is carried on so if something is missing.

In general, they are looking for small, high-value stuff ipods, cameras, jewelry, my used boxers, etc. The human brain will usually gravitate towards the nicer bags with the expectation that the owner has more stuff that he / she would want or could sell.

The older bag trick still works, but not as well, when you go into places known for particular activities (I. E. Fishing and hunting) In these cases you are stuck putting some stuff in your checked bag (I suspect that keeping one of my tactical knives in my carry-on might draw undesired attention.

At least in the US, it is highly unlikely that an airline employee will mess with a properly checked item marked 'firearm.' One of my fishing buddies that likes to use his very valuable bamboo rods packs them in a rifle case and does the paperwork for a firearm to prevent tampering. Me? I prefer my composite, 4-piece rods which, conveniently, I can still carry on. My reals go in my carry-on too.

Gato Hunter
04-01-10, 13:18
Can you bring a starter pistol into EZE?

If you travel Domestically in the US you can pack a starter pistol, track and field style. The TSA considers this a firearm and your bag will be tracked, receive special treatment and personally handed off to you at the airport by airline personnel. No airline wants to be responsible for a lost "firearm"

The starter pistol can even be unopened in the package right from Walmart, or better yet Target.

This is popular with photographers traveling with lots of expensive gear. Google it for more info.

Toymann
04-01-10, 14:43
Composite rods. I hope we are talking flyfishing dude. Always nice to meet a fellow angler. Tight lines brother.

Happy Mongering All.

Toymann

Jackson
04-01-10, 14:58
Composite rods. I hope we are talking flyfishing dude. Always nice to meet a fellow angler. Tight lines brother.

Happy Mongering All.

ToymannToyman,

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest bit to learn that you were the inventor or the world's first line of composite sex toys, specially crafted for the "high intensity" user.

Thanks,

Jackson

Wild Walleye
04-01-10, 15:01
Stronger, lighter, less friction. I'm thinking about getting a composite prosthesis.

Wild Walleye
04-01-10, 15:02
Composite rods. I hope we are talking flyfishingIs there another kind?

Toymann
04-01-10, 16:50
Nice! Maybe WW we fish in argentina some time. I have the total dorado in corrientes on tap. I own my own boat (specifically built for flyfishing) and 4WD truck in corrientes with my fishing partner, a great local kid I have known for years. We fish the parana river, as well as two iberas not far from Goya. I live in the fly fishing mecca in the US but grew tired of the skinny silver fish (trout) a while back. Argentine dorado totaly ROCK! The key to fishing in argentina is getting the shill middlemen out of the loop. This gets rid of gringo guide and outfitter pricing. In fact, Rioman and I are heading north this Saturday for 8 days of dorado delight. If you are in town, maybe you could drop by jacksons clubhouse tonight at 8pm. I would love to meet you brother. I will only be staying till 9pm as I have other chica fishing plans for 10pm. "You will and forever be a fine fisherman" WW.

Happy Mongering All,

Toymann

Wild Walleye
04-01-10, 17:11
Nice! Maybe WW we fish in argentina some time. I have the total dorado in corrientes on tap. I own my own boat (specifically built for flyfishing) and 4WD truck in corrientes with my fishing partner, a great local kid I have known for years. We fish the parana river, as well as two iberas not far from Goya. I live in the fly fishing mecca in the US but grew tired of the skinny silver fish (trout) a while back. Argentine dorado totaly ROCK! The key to fishing in argentina is getting the shill middlemen out of the loop. This gets rid of gringo guide and outfitter pricing. In fact, Rioman and I are heading north this Saturday for 8 days of dorado delight. If you are in town, maybe you could drop by jacksons clubhouse tonight at 8pm. I would love to meet you brother. I will only be staying till 9pm as I have other chica fishing plans for 10pm. "You will and forever be a fine fisherman" WW. Happy Mongering All. ToymannI am stuck in sex prison and won't be wetting a line for a while.

My Former Name
04-02-10, 01:33
I've never used the plastic wrap; however, what's to stop someone with a box cutter from slicing it open in 5 seconds and busting into your bag? The wrap I saw looked like saran wrap, not kevlar. I'm not sure I see the value of the wrap other than if your bag is overpacked and your zipper or latch is broken.

Please enlighten me.

Lucas90
04-02-10, 20:26
I've never used the plastic wrap; however, what's to stop someone with a box cutter from slicing it open in 5 seconds and busting into your bag? The wrap I saw looked like saran wrap, not kevlar. I'm not sure I see the value of the wrap other than if your bag is overpacked and your zipper or latch is broken.

Please enlighten me.As the guy who set this last round of posts running, I've just made my return trip and decided to use the plastic wrap service at EZE this time (I think it was 40 pesos for one bag) They gave me some paperwork that looked like it was some sort of a guarantee but I haven't studied that yet. You're right though about the penetration value of the wrap (if you'll forgive the expression..). They were a number of Argentinians on my onward connecting flight to LGW who'd all had their bags wrapped. Saw a couple of chicas pull their bag off the carousel and they had the wrap off in seconds (couldn't see what they were tearing away at it with, but more like keys or nail files - glad I didn't meet them in the boliches I visited..). The other snag with the wrap is that your bag's a lot harder to identify when it comes of the belt, if there are lots of wrapped bags all coming off together. I saw someone lift my bag off the carousel (and put it back on again) even before it reached me. These same chicas had tied some coloured ribbon to the handles of their bags which might be a good tip to get round that.

Incidentally, EZE obviously had a bad feng shui for me this trip as I got pulled by the customs on my way to the gate from the check-in. Full bag search and off came all the plastic wrap I'd taken time out to have done (I had nothing of any interest in the bags and they had the wrap re-done at no charge) I guess there's another thread somewhere in AP about customs checks on exit so I'll take a look there when I've got more time. Incidentally my bag is of the long service beaten-up variety with a token padlock, so nothing there to attract a bag thief.

Needless to say it was just at EZE where I had the problems - all the rest of the trip went great (thanks to AP) so I'll try to fill you in on some of the happier adventures further along.

Wild Walleye
04-04-10, 21:59

Please enlighten me.Is exactly what it is. The paperwork is in fact the guarantee. It is essentially an insurance policy on your bag. $0.02 worth of saran wrap, wages for the wrappers (as opposed to props for rappers) and some promotional materials. At US$10/ bag, if they only get stuck paying out a couple hundred bucks per hundred bags, they are raking in the cash.

It is a visual and psychological deterrent that hopefully drives the thieves to pilfer from some other bag. As a protective barrier, it would not slow down even the dumbest of thieves but it might double as a dental damn.

One would hope the individual opening the bag with a box cutter is outside of security.

Jackson
05-15-10, 19:25
Greetings Everyone,.

I moved the last several pages of discussion regarding "Bringing computers and electronics through customs" to another thread in this forum titled "Bringing computers and electronics through customs".

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4896

This "Thread Splitting" process is not perfect, and it's possible that I may have inadvertently moved / did not move a few reports. If you find that your own report was also moved / not moved, please don't take it personally.

Thanks,.

Jackson

Ramprat
05-18-10, 12:43
That pastic wrap gets into to the wheeles and pulls with strong electic motors. They will chew up you bags making little piece of all your stuff fast. I would never use that stuff. From a pro that seen the bags after chewing.

Ramprat

Out for Flesh
05-31-10, 00:25
It is a visual and psychological deterrent that hopefully drives the thieves to pilfer from some other bag. As a protective barrier, it would not slow down even the dumbest of thieves but it might double as a dental damn.

One would hope the individual opening the bag with a box cutter is outside of security.A recent survey in a Spanish consumer rights magazine showed that wrapped bags are three times more likely to be opened by thiefs. Not surprising. Be it true or not, for a thief it has the smell "what is this guy trying to protect?"

Cheers!