PDA

View Full Version : Flight Safety

Thomaso276
08-11-06, 19:19
After the latest plot to attack Britain and the USA, there have been restirctions regarding carry-on luggage imposed. Articles today pointed out the economic impact of these restrictions as well as the inability to detect all possible dangerous items that can be used by terrorists. No water, hand held electronics, gels, etc.

How do we, the law-abiding travelling public respond?

Lochdhu
08-11-06, 19:32
After the latest plot to attack Britain and the USA, there have been restirctions regarding carry-on luggage imposed. Articles today pointed out the economic impact of these restrictions as well as the inability to detect all possible dangerous items that can be used by terrorists. No water, hand held electronics, gels, etc.

How do we, the law-abiding travelling public respond?Also heard they are not allowing people to carry on laptops, and some were forced to give there laptops away at the airports to passerbyers, or to check it in as check luggage, yeah right! Good bye lap top!

Jackson
08-11-06, 20:40
Greetings everyone,

1. I guess I'll have to learn to live without hair gel on those long flights.

2. I have no confidence that my laptop and portable hard drive will survive the pounding that the checked luggage typically receives as it moves through the system.

3. I hope that they'll start offering bottles of water as you board the aircraft.

4. The air on planes is as dry as the desert, and they expect me to endure a 10 hour flight without contact lens drops?

5. I don't understand the ban on newspapers and paperbacked books. I suspect that it's along the same lines as when they banned fingernail clippers: Nobody was ever going to take over a plane with a nail file, but apparently there were some members of the flying public that were comforted by the belief that "the authorities" were taking extreme measures.

6. I'm glad the last time I was in the USA that I didn't buy a portable DVD for use on long flights.

7. I guess I can throw away my $300 USD Bose noise-canceling headphones.

8. When will they finally get off this PC bullshit and start profiling?

Thanks,

Jackson

Punter 127
08-11-06, 22:46
Unless it changed today, you can still take your electronics to and from the USA, just no liquids. I agree 1000% with points #3 & #8.

StrayLight
08-12-06, 00:00
I just got an e-mail from United that -- if I read it correctly -- specifically said that passengers outbound from the U. S. Would (repeat, WOULD) be allowed to carry on electronics.

The only mention of restrictions on electronics for passengers inbound to the U. S. Were those coming from U. K.

But of course, no liquids regardless. (Let's just continue to fight the last war.)

BA Luvr
08-12-06, 00:55
I just flew back today from Mexico City to the US and the only new restrictions are that all liquids, gels, (or tube products, implied) must be in checked baggage. I arrived 3 hours early for my flight expecting long delays and blew through checkin (on American) and security (of course, that was at 7 AM). They are randomly inspecting carryons before boarding the plane, like they used to. Some colleagues that left yesterday reported long lines and confusion, but that seems to have been sorted out. Buying a bottle of tequila to bring home was abandoned as a bad idea.

The extreme restrictions seem to be aimed at UK travel, and that may change in the next few days. I carry a bag full of electronics, including a laptop, PDA, cellphone, music player, spare batteries, etc. and didn't even get a raised eyebrow. A friend was singled out for a bag search and had to turn on his phone and laptop, and had every single item in his bag inspected, but otherwise no problem. Chill out dudes.

One good thing: the plane boarded quickly and there was lots of overhead space available.

El Perro
08-12-06, 01:05
Not to open up a debate but what makes you guys think they aren't profiling? Rest assured they are profiling their asses off! They may try to mask it to some degree, but they are still doing it. Despite the profiling, everybody who doesn't fit the "look" is still going to get hasseled because the security concerns are so huge.

BundaLover
08-12-06, 03:05
Liquid K-Y is Ok but Gel is forbidden?

If we all travelled nude with bathrobes think of how much time we could save!

Jackson
08-12-06, 03:19
Some additional points:

1. El Al uses racial, religious and nationality profiling. They make no apologies about it, any you can still take a newspaper onto an El Al flight.

2. I certainly hope that some terrorist doesn't get caught trying to get on a plane with a stick of TNT up his ass, because after that we'll all be subjected to body cavity searches before we board.

Thanks,

Jackson

Flexible Horn
08-12-06, 14:14
Travelling from any British airport at the moment there is NO carry on luggage, only your ticket, passport and money.

BadMan
08-12-06, 16:02
I have a scheduled flight for Sept. 16th to BA. I was originally going to fly United from Kiev to London to BA, but after all this mess I have changed my plans and will now travel Swiss from Kiev to Paris to BA. There is no way I'm going through London unless I absolutely have to. I'm not too worried about liquids or gel because I don't think I have ever carried those on board, but my laptop and Ipod are essential for a 14 hour flight. I am also sorry to say but I will be staying off the national airlines for a while, I have heard on the news that the main terrorist targets are American, United and Continental airlines.

Damn persistant terrorists, damn instigating governments, if some level headed people don't start taking charge soon, I believe Jacksons comments about the full cavity searches aren't that far away, I still remember going into Miami international about a year ago and being handed a plastic container to put my laptop, personal belongings, belt, and shoes into.

I hope things start getting better, because that kind of shit just isn't kosher with me, I'm all for safety, but partially undressing in an airport just because some guy tryed to stick a bomb in his shoes seems rather degrading to me.

One last note, I am sure they somehow use racial profiling at airports, and even though I think it can make things easier on the rest of us, I don't think it will help in the long run, these Islamic operatives will just start using different names and different passports and even change their hair color and if we are profiling for a specific "look" and they know what that "look" is, it will be easier for them to get through the checkpoints, In the end I don't think it will make us safer.

I wish everyone safe and comfortable travels.

The BadOne

StrayLight
08-12-06, 16:13
One last note, I am sure they somehow use racial profiling at airports, and even though I think it can make things easier on the rest of us, I don't think it will help in the long run.Have you noticed that "airport security" hasn't foiled any of the plots?

It didn't foil 911.

It didn't foil the so-called shoe bomber.

It wasn't the thing that foiled this one.

Many, many people who do security for a living have made the observation that airport security -- and especially America's TSA -- is not much more than pablum for public consumption to make it look as though the government is actually on top of things. And I'm pretty much inclined to agree.

Jackson
08-12-06, 16:55
Have you noticed that "airport security" hasn't foiled any of the plots?

It didn't foil 911.

It didn't foil the so-called shoe bomber.

It wasn't the thing that foiled this one.

Many, many people who do security for a living have made the observation that airport security -- and especially America's TSA -- is not much more than pablum for public consumption to make it look as though the government is actually on top of things. And I'm pretty much inclined to agree.Hi StrayLight,

I agree with your assessment about "public consumption" 100%.

In my opinion, future hijack attempts will be thwarted by the changes in the passenger's response. For years we were told that as passengers in a hijack situation we were to cooperate with the hijackers. Post 911, we all now know we're all dead as soon as the fanatic Muslim criminal psychotics hijack a plane, so you may as well throw yourself on the proverbial grenade and physically attack the hijackers. Todd Beamer and the others on his plane figured this out when they learned the fate of the other planes.

It's this new paradigm that will serve to stop future hijack attempts, not confiscating fingernail clippers or box cutters. My guess is that the fanatic Muslim criminal psychotics have figured this out and that's why their new focus is on bombing the planes, not hijacking them.

However, returning to airport security, the fact is that we don't really know how many potential attacks were thwarted by the mere presence of airport security, but one thing is for sure: If there was no airport security, we'd have bombings and hijackings on a daily basis.

Thanks,

Jackson

Strad
08-12-06, 22:03
I can't have my favorite hair gel?

I can't have my Versace's Eau de Toilette?

I can't have my Astroglide?

What about condoms? They are soaked in liquid lubgel in that little pakcages, aren't they?

Strad

Just phoned AA and Tam:
Laptops and Mobile phones, yes.
Toothpaste, shampoo, no.

StrayLight
08-13-06, 02:01
However...one thing is for sure: If there was no airport security, we'd have bombings and hijackings on a daily basis.I tend to agree with your underlying thought, but nonetheless, TSA and all this knee-jerk reactionism is complete, utter bullshit.

SL

Punter 127
08-13-06, 13:22
Carry-On Baggage Restrictions - SUMMARY.

Flights New Policy Electronic Devices.

Within the U. S.*No liquids, gels in carry-ons -Approved devices permitted.

U. S.* to International (except U. K. No liquids, gels in carry-ons -Approved devices permitted.

U. S.* to U. K. No liquids, gels in carry-ons -Approved devices permitted.

U. S.* to International with transit in U. K. Carry-on items must be checked in the U. K. If not checked at the point of origin**- Electronic devices are permitted, but must be checked in the U. K.**

U. K. To U. S.*Carry-on items must be checked - Electronic devices not permitted as carry-on.

International to U. S.*(except UK) No liquids, gels in carry-ons - Approved devices permitted.

International to U. S.* with transit in U. K. Carry-on items must be checked in the U. K. If not checked at the point of origin**- Electronic devices must be checked in the U. K.**

*U. S. Includes the 50 United States, Puerto Rico and the U. S. Virgin Islands.

**Electronic devices must be checked-in at the airline's ticket counter outside the secure area, please allow plenty of time for this in order to avoid a delay in your travel.

More details at: www.aa.com

Hunt99
08-13-06, 14:32
There's a simple solution to all this, but it won't come about because of political correctness. Focus the greatest airline security upon the greatest threat - young Muslim men. That little old African-American lady from Tuscaloosa isn't a threat deserving of Grade A scrutiny. Neither is the Japanese businessman flying back to Tokyo. The couple of WASP yuppies flying to Cancun for the weekend aren't too great a threat, either.

Virtually every single active international terrorist in the world today is a young man named Abu Jihad, Mohammed Zarquawi, Ibrihim Jabari, etc. Focus on them. Give them the special scrutiny. Treating "everybody" as a "potential terrorist" is not only stupid and wasteful, it goes against the very core of law enforcement, which is to focus limited resources on progressively smaller groups of people.

Sorry to you young Muslim men posting here (and I know there are some, and I know a couple personally) 99% of you are good decent people. But as we unfortunately know, there are enough of your peers who aren't decent people to make things very, very hard on the populace as a whole.

My politically incorrect.02

BadMan
08-13-06, 17:37
Racial profiling won't get anyone very far, but hey I guess it's worth a shot.

Personally I'm not muslim or arab, just a decent human being who would like to see those in charge of our security not make mistakes.

It is very easy to get a fake passport, it is very easy to change ones name on that fake passport, and even easier to speak english without an accent,

So as far as profiling Mohamed, he will just change his name to Steve, And if we profile people coming with Pakistani passports, he will just get one from Canada or Argentina, And if we will profile dark skinned bearded men in their 20's, they will just recruit a 40 year old from Syria or Jordan that looks like any WASP in New England, complete with blonde hair and blue eyes.

I think we have all forgotten the UniBomber or Tim McVeigh, But I guess their real names were Mohamed Alawi Talibani yada yada yada.

The current threat is from muslim extremists, but that shouldn't close our eyes to homegrown terror, and we shouldn't use racial profiling to lull us into a false sense of security.

But hey we all have opinions. Just as long as we aren't insulting each others comments it's all gravy.

I wish EVERYONE safe and comfortable travels.

TheBadOne

Thomaso276
08-13-06, 18:20
Punter: Thanks for the factual update.

Jackson
08-13-06, 19:20
Badboy,

While I understand the tenor of your argument, I would disagree with a couple of points.

1. It is not easy to learn to speak a foreign language without an accent that would be identifiable to a native speaker of that language.

2. Passports are not easy to fake, given the new technical requirements wherein the passports are now read by a bar code scanner that calls up your file and wherein the photograph muct match the one on the passport.

3. Of course if you start openly profiling specific physical characteristics, the fanatic Muslim criminal psychotics will start recruiting members that don't match the profiles, but that reduces their potential recruitment pool from 100 million (just a random number) to a few thousand, and then they have to convince some of those few thousand to abandon all sense of sanity and become fanatic Muslim criminal psychotics.

4. Profiling doesn't mean you discontinue your other security procedures. That little old African-American lady from Tuscaloosa still gets her carry on luggage inspected.

Thanks,

Jackson

BadMan
08-13-06, 21:42
Hi Jackson,

Well I agree with you on alot of point but here's why I made the previous statements.

1. I think you are correct about learning a language and how hard it is speak a new language without an accent, But here In europe I am amazed at all the young people I meet in their 20's who speak english as if they grew up in Los Angeles, thats one of the reasons I made the comment, It is amazing and when I ask how they did it, they tell me school, tutors and a few summers on vacation plus hip hop music. So I do think its hard but for the younger people, the ones being recruited, language is easier assimilate.

2. I would not put too much trust in the passport technology out their right now, Europe put alot of trust in the Euro technology and now look at them, they have more forgery then they did before the euro. Just take a look at Mossad in Isreal, those guys have valid passports from just about every country in the world, a fact that has gotten them in trouble in a number of countries because said governments don't like their passports being forged. There are ways. And to the criminaly inclinded it's not hard at all.

3. I do completely agree with your third point, It would cut their recruiting pool by alot, though I named Syria and Jordan because those are countries where there are millions of blonde haired blue eyes arab muslims, not too sure why, but historically they are the white guys in the desert.

4. I don't mean people should be checking every old ladies luggage, I just mean if we profile it's easy to miss something or someone, and it only takes 1 or 19.

All in all the arguments on airport safety and security all have their good and bad points, I would personally feel safer if we had a more comprehensive security system that had redundancy methods that wouldn't allow for mistakes. I know its almost impossible but with an open mind and creative people I'm sure it could be achieved. I travel alot and I used to transit through London alot and even though I don't want to be inconvenienced I don't want to be blown up either.

Happy Trails.

TheBadOne

Punter 127
08-16-06, 11:35
Now all shoes must be x-rayed, no big deal, most of us have had to do that anyway. All the changes are from TSA for USA flights. The most recent threats were for incoming flights, at EZE in the past they have not x-rayed my shoes, or had me remove my laptop from the case, as they do in the USA. Has anything changed at EZE?

I keep hearing on the news that at some point they may ban electronics in your carry-on, if that happens and you happen to be outside the USA, getting your toys home safely and intact will be a real problem. Why wouldn't they just make you put the batteries in your checked baggage? At least you could get your stuff home in one piece.

Thomaso276
08-16-06, 17:41
Spoke with a pilot the other day from EEUU who told me that you can bring electronics, but no liquids, gels from the States.

I do not think EZE is ever going to be stricter than our airports. But I read that liquids and gels are forbidden from there as well.

England has the strictest - no carry-on stuff except tickets, keys, passport.

Out for Flesh
08-16-06, 18:16
1. I think you are correct about learning a language and how hard it is speak a new language without an accent, But here In europe I am amazed at all the young people I meet in their 20's who speak english as if they grew up in Los Angeles, thats one of the reasons I made the comment, It is amazing and when I ask how they did it, they tell me school, tutors and a few summers on vacation plus hip hop music. So I do think its hard but for the younger people, the ones being recruited, language is easier assimilate.

2. I would not put too much trust in the passport technology out their right now, Europe put alot of trust in the Euro technology and now look at them, they have more forgery then they did before the euro. Just take a look at Mossad in Isreal, those guys have valid passports from just about every country in the world, a fact that has gotten them in trouble in a number of countries because said governments don't like their passports being forged. There are ways. And to the criminaly inclinded it's not hard at all.

4. I don't mean people should be checking every old ladies luggage, I just mean if we profile it's easy to miss something or someone, and it only takes 1 or 19.(1) But I am sure you'd single them out as non-EEUU citizens if you just talk to them for 5 minutes and ask them well-directed questions. I am a native Spanish speaker and I can fake being a native American English speaker for most Europeans (non-British, of course) but I wouldn't stand 1 minute scrutiny from a EEUU officer. Even if you are young there is more to a language than not making silly mistakes.

(2) I agree about passports. Mine has no bar code, and I travel frequently around the world. Besides one does not need any passport for most of Europe. Even more, last time I was coming back from Argentina (to Spain) I wasn't asked for any ID at the moment of actually boarding the plane. Which means that I could have easily exchanged my boarding card with someone else to fool the security.

(4) Yes they should check every old lady's luggage. Those are the easier to be given something they should not be carrying. Picture this: you sit by / stand after the old lady before check in, and you introduce something in her purse / handbag. Then, when she goes to the bathroom or falls asleep, you get it from her bag. Pretty scary.

Stormy
08-16-06, 19:56
I left BA last week from EZE and security was very tight. No liquids or gels or any kinds, all shoes must go through xray, every single item in my carry-on was examined. To the credit of whoever was in charge, they had plenty of security personnel to do the searching so the wait was not bad and they even had places to sit down to put on shoes, which is sometimes hard to find in the states. The captain of our aircraft came up to the gate security counter as I was standing there and asked the young woman if he could bring a bottle of rum to the plane (from duty free) She said absolutely not, it would have to be consumed outside the security area. He said he didn't think that would be a very good idea and we all applauded his discretion.

Punter 127
08-16-06, 20:59
Thanks, thats good to hear. Looks like this is going to become a way of life.

Thomaso276
08-16-06, 23:40
Here is today's editorial from the NY Post. Understandably not a high-end paper, but published nonthelesss: Talking about British demands for profiling.

"It's something U. S. Officials need to seriously consider, too.

The civil-liberties crowd would fall into a swoon, of course.

But anti-terrorist profiling doesn't mean targeting all Muslims. Nor does it mean randomly pulling them out of waiting lines at the airports and giving them all a full-body strip search.

It means selecting people for close scrutiny based on a number of factors: suspicious behavior, unusual travel patterns and a cash purchase of tickets.

And, yes, it also means paying closer attention to young Middle Eastern Muslim males displaying some or all of those characteristics rather than, say, to a blue-haired grandmother from Ohio.

That's not racism - it's recognizing that the terrorist threat facing America comes from a specific region of the world and from a specific group of people.

Critics charge that ethnic profiling, for want of a better term, merely sel- ects people who fit the stereotype of a terrorist.

But as Heather Mac Donald of The Manhattan Institute has written, "A stereotype in this case is nothing more than a compilation of facts about who has attacked American interests in the past and who, given what we know, is most likely to do so in the future."

Indeed, she writes, Islamic anti-American terrorism "is, by its very definition, perpetrated by radical Muslims." Who else should law-enforcement officials, anxious to avert another 9/11, focus on?

That's why Brooklyn Federal Judge John Gleeson recently found that the government had the right to "single out nationals of a particular country and focus enforcement on them" when it rounded up a group of Muslims who were in the country illegally.

"After the 9/11 attacks," he noted, "our government used all available law-enforcement tools to ferret out the persons responsible for those atrocities and to prevent further acts of terrorism. We should expect nothing less."

Precisely.

Profiling, used correctly, is critical to enabling law enforcement to prevent another 9/11. That doesn't mean race, ethnicity or country of origin alone should be the basis for targeted enforcement. But it means that they must be taken into account, combined with other factors.

It would be irresponsible not to do so."

Profiling does not come into play when a reasonable person would believe that the suspect had committed, is committing or is about to commit a crime. Of course those that are stopped or charged always claim they were profiled because of race - not their suspicious actions.

Sky Ryder
08-17-06, 00:22
If that is the definition of profiling, then I can tell you that this particular paper is at least five years behind the times. This IMHO is not profiling, but just using good intelligence and law enforcement tools. That is why before a flight can land in the U. S. From overseas the DHS must approve the passenger manifest. This program has been in effect since 2001. My problem is when we have no other reason to "search" someone than they are wearing a turban or appear of a particular ethnicity. If the reason to search is because terrorist are of a particular heritage, then we need to start searching 20 ish white males, since the overwhelming numbers of terrorist incidents in the U. S. Are perfomed by this group. Ie, OKC and Atlanta were both done by born and bred "white boys".

The other thing that concerns me is that we have been down this road before about 65 years ago and now "those people" are some of our best allies.

I am not naive enough to believe that the problem is really that simple, but I am not interested in some kind of knee jerk reaction just to make it appear we are doing something. Of course I could be wrong. Again

Bangkok Dave
08-17-06, 17:03
I sure as hell wouldn't like to own a duty free shop just now. I expect a lot of them will be going under.

Dave

Escapee5150
08-18-06, 16:39
I sure as hell wouldn't like to own a duty free shop just now. I expect a lot of them will be going under.

DaveYes, wouldn't that mean that passengers won't be able to purchase bottles of alcohol from the airport gift shops (like Tequilia if you were leaving Mexico) and then take it on the plane, or in their checked baggage.

They would not let me bring a lighter with me last time I left EZE, even if it were in my checked baggage. They also took some wire clippers I mistakenly left in my carry on bag. Once you get that far, you just have to throw them away. I. E. Let them take them.

My biggest fear is not being able to take water on the airplane with me. I need to call American Airlines about that. On an 11 hour flight I will consume 2 or 3 fairly big bottles of water (750 ml) I have heard flight attendants tell me that there is water in the bathroom. To which I say, "let's see you drink it". That water is bacteria laden and I refuse to drink it. And the water bottles they have on the plane are tiny, like 6 ounces. I would need about 15 of them. I could see myself on TV, surrounded by airport security guards, questioning me about such strange behavior. That is why I will call first about what water they have for sale on the plane, since I can no longer take my own.

Phixer
08-18-06, 18:01
Coming out of the UK you can buy anything that is being sold by shops airside, the other side of security. Duty free shops not being affected. Perhaps they are doing more business because you can't take stuff through security?

I work for BA and we are now carrying 3 times as much bottled water as before last week to accomodate passengers who normally bring their own on board.

As for profiling and screening selectively, how do you account for the western converts to Islam who can be even more radical than any Arab, Persian, etc. And has a wish to sit with Allah in paradise?

El Greco
08-18-06, 19:46
Coming out of the UK you can buy anything that is being sold by shops airside, the other side of security. Duty free shops not being affected. Perhaps they are doing more business because you can't take stuff through security?Don't quite understand you. I have reports from passengers out of London Heathrow that they had to leave behind all the duty free items they had just bought. Is that correct or not?

I also heard that they are now allowing laptops as carry on. Do you know anything about it?

You see I am flying early October out of LHR to EZE.

Thanks,

El Greco

Flexible Horn
08-18-06, 19:55
I also heard that they are now allowing laptops as curry on. Do you know anything about it?

You see I am flying early October out of LHR to EZE.

Thanks,

El GrecoYou can now take a laptop on as carry on at LHR.

FH

Timba8
08-19-06, 22:00
My boss just returned to the US from LHR. He said that they had setup tents for people waiting to board as they did not want a lot of people in the main terminal. Computers are okay, but there is a new standard for carryon size for flights to the US.

Phixer
08-21-06, 16:13
El Greco.

My apologies, I was slightly misleading in that you can buy alchohol, etc, duty free airside and carry it on unless you are flying to the USA when you cannot take any liquids on board. Almost everywhere else is okay except the States. Some other countries may introduce their own restrictions. EZE, I believe, is okay if you are flying from the UK. If flying from USA then no liquids, gels, etc.

Here's the latest from ba.com:

"British Airways is implementing the UK Government's new restrictions on cabin baggage on all flights departing UK airports. Customers are advised to check this information regularly before they travel to ensure they have the very latest information. These restrictions were last updated on 21 August 2006 at 13:00 (BST)

Customers departing from the UK (including customers transferring through the UK):

Customers travelling from the UK will be able to take on board as hand baggage one cabin bag no bigger than 45cm x 35cm x 16cm, the size of a small laptop bag, inclusive of wheels and handles.

Cabin baggage MUST NOT contain:

Any cosmetics.

Any toiletries.

Any liquids.

Any drinks.

Cigarette lighters.

Items previously prohibted in cabin baggage, such as sharp objects, should not be carried in cabin baggage.

Cabin baggage CAN contain the following:

Electronic equipment, including laptops, mobile phones, digital cameras and portable music and DVD players.

Essential prescribed medicines in liquid form provided they are under 50ml. Customers will be asked to taste the liquid. If they cannot taste the liquid for any reason they will be asked to go to an airport pharmacy to have the medicine verified.

Baby milk and liquid baby food (the contents of each bottle MUST be tasted by the parent)

Other items normally carried in cabin baggage, such as books and essential items for the flight, as long as they fit into a bag no bigger than specified above.

Nothing must be carried in pockets.

All electronic equipment will need to be removed from the item of hand baggage and screened separately. We recommend these items be packed carefully for easy removal at the security search point.

Pushchairs and walking aids will be permitted but must be x-ray screened.

Customers may purchase any item in any store in the departure lounge before departing their final UK airport and take onto the aircraft as normal, unless they are travelling to the USA.

Extra restrictions are in place for customers travelling to the USA from the UK. Customers WILL NOT be permitted to take any liquid or gel items purchased in the departures lounge into the aircraft cabin. All food or beverage items must be consumed before boarding."

You can also check here: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm and here: http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_about/documents/page/dft_about_612280.hcsp

I must admit, when you read it as a traveller it is not crystal clear. That maybe explains why we are still manning up the terminals with volunteer staff (staff not usually front line customer facing) to help the check in staff, manage queues, explain the new rules and generally reassure customers.

El Greco
08-22-06, 20:37
Thank you very much indeed.

FH & Timba8 you too guys.

El Greco

Jackson
09-07-06, 22:44
Greetings everyone,

I moved the "I hate Bush" / "911 was a Big Lie" conspiracy posts to a new thread titled American Politics IV.

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3156

Thanks,

Jackson

Flexible Horn
08-23-07, 12:50
I have only flown into EZE airport 4 times and likewise out 4 times, I can remember the trouble they had with the radar earlier this year or was it last year?

I think these 2 film clips maybe of interest to anybody using EZE in the future, good luck!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VvrbMjDvcX8

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cTxGD1fCdMo

Exon123
08-23-07, 17:53
Scares The Fuck out of me, we made a radar approach yesterday morning in the fogg.

Exon

El Greco
08-23-07, 23:54
Scares The Fuck out of me, we made a Radar approach yesterday morning in the fogg.

ExonAllow me to explain something here.

All the approaches to all major airports around the world are radar controlled for safety and convenience.

In this way the pilot is guided close to the extension of the runway and he can then lock on the ILS (Instrument Landing System) which will guide him glide the airplane on the glide slope in order to properly land it.

In most cases and especially in fog (up to a certain low altitude unless it is going to be an auto land) this is done by the auto pilot (s)

Believe you me they can do a much better job than most pilots.

So nothing to worry about.

Daddy Rulz
08-26-07, 03:16
I have only flown into EZE airport 4 times and likewise out 4 times, I can remember the trouble they had with the radar earlier this year or was it last year?

I think these 2 film clips maybe of interest to anybody using EZE in the future, good luck!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VvrbMjDvcX8

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cTxGD1fCdMo

Look at this one,

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MeI154gaWL4