PDA

View Full Version : What's happenned to Recoleta?

JustGotBack
08-18-06, 23:15
I haven't been in BA for about a couple of years. What the fuck has happenned to Recoleta? It's changed more than in the proceeding 5. If only it was for the better. Restaurant row is now the restaurant half row. A lot of the places are just closed and boarded up. The Munchen or whatever ice cream place is now Freddo. Why's there a pharmacy there now with a big flashing sign?

Village Recoleta was full of protesters tonight banging drums and setting off fireworks. All the rich people were asking where the police were. Sure enough, they came pushed everyone out and formed a line in front of the theatre. It made me feel like I was in Centro.

Thereīs also no one out and about. It used to be jammed full and now itīs like itīs a Sunday on a Friday.

BundaLover
08-18-06, 23:34
I was there in June / July and was suprised at what looked like a hurricane / earthquake / civil war did to Recoleta. How can so many businesses SIMULATANOUSLY not only close but gut the interiors and leave them with few signs of promise. Amazing. That nobody on this forum mentioned it is also AMAZING. Jackson what the hell happened?

============================================

Greetings guys,

A number of the restaurants on Restaurant Row had to close in the past year because the locations couldn't meet the fire codes that have been more strictly enforced since the Once disco fire in late 2004 that killed almost 200 people.

Thanks,

Jackson

SanteFe
08-18-06, 23:39
Was at Checkers Pub last night, obviously way too early, about 11:30, and this older SP sat with me. We talked about where we were living and she mentioned that Recoleta has many shops and businesses closing. I hadn't really noticed it before but it is visible if you look around and pay attention. Does anyone have a clue as to the cause? My only idea is that the price inflation visible throughout the economy may be notching up faster in this "hot" area and causing people, especially locals, to shop elsewhere. Like Papa mentioned about Yugos restaurant, its prices have moved up so fast and so far that customers may be going elsewhere.

Bacchus9
08-19-06, 02:56
The hot area for restaurants is now Palermo. Puerto Madero is also one long double strip of restaurants. Las Canitas also. There are new places and renovations taking place, but slowly. Add to that it's winter, deep winter, the tourist crowds are down and any Argentino in business will tell you it's has been slow in July and August.

JustGotBack
08-19-06, 17:31
The prices have definitely gone up. I ate at the same place I've eaten on every one of my visits. It's where the super hot hostess Paula used to work for those who remember. It's a Clarks now though and the only person left is the guy who sings. It was about 50% more expensive or so from what I remember.

There's this circle or plaza in one of the Palermos with a bunch of restaurants and bars and always a ton of people overflowing into the streets. I've been there a couple of times but I can never remember exactly how to tell the cab driver how to get there. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Is it Palermo Hollywood?

El Perro
08-19-06, 18:23
Probably Plaza Serrano, though that is the informal name of the plaza. Cabbies will know it by that name though.

The prices have definitely gone up. I ate at the same place I've eaten on every one of my visits. It's where the super hot hostess Paula used to work for those who remember. It's a Clarks now though and the only person left is the guy who sings. It was about 50% more expensive or so from what I remember.

There's this circle or plaza in one of the Palermos with a bunch of restaurants and bars and always a ton of people overflowing into the streets. I've been there a couple of times but I can never remember exactly how to tell the cab driver how to get there. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Is it Palermo Hollywood?

Rock Harders
08-20-06, 08:13
Mongers-

The official name of the plaza is Plaza Cortazar, but it is informally known as Plaza Serrano, because Calle Serrano (renamed Jorge Luis Borges up near Sante Fe) runs into it. There are many bars-restaurants in the vicinity of the Plaza and they are popular, but I doubt they compete with locations in Recoleta. From my perspective the restaurants in Las Canitas and Puerto Madero attract the Recoleta type clientel more than the Palermo Viejo area would.

Suerte, į

Dirk Diggler

BundaLover
08-20-06, 18:44
Plaza Serrano is the place you are looking for. Seems to cater to the 25 and under crowd. About a year or so ago the city restricted the sale of beer / wine from the kiosks in that area due to the hundreds of teenagers getting plasterred in public. Nice place to walk for about 30 mins. Lots of kiddie bars. No P4P action. There are many really good restruants a few blocks from the plaza. In spite of the number of places there, live music requires an act of god or winning the world cup.