PDA

View Full Version : Need your help fellows.

BigRay
08-22-06, 15:17
I am coming down to BA in early October and plan to stay 8 months or longer. Need help finding an apartment. The areas I am considering are Recoleta and Palermo (and maybe San telmo); where is the prefered location, Palermo viejo, hollywood or soho? Any specific street corners you can recommend? $500 - 800 range.

Need high speed internet, must be near a nice gym (swimming pool & basketball court a plus) and ofcourse, good local restaurants. I am in my late 30's and just turned single (and ready to mingle. Hehe)

Is it too much of a hassle to get high speed internet, for those apartments that don't have them?

Look forward to meeting you guys when I get there in October.

Ray

BundaLover
08-22-06, 17:57
Won't you have 8 months to figure out where you want to live?

SanteFe
08-22-06, 20:15
Book an apartment for one month in Recoletta and then explore the city and decide where to stay after that. Recoletta puts you in the center of all the action and there are plenty of gyms, nightclubs and restaurants everywhere. I have been here a few months already and have always stayed in Recoletta. On my next one month move I may move to Palermo to see a different part of the city but I would say it is quite a bit quieter and laid back there. The most important choice I would say is deciding between sleep and view. If you have a view it usually comes with a lot of noise and affects how well you can sleep. If you have no view and an inward facing apartment the noise is MUCH less but with no view you might feel like you are living in a hole in the ground. My first apartment had a great view but was so noisy I moved to an inward facing apartment with no view. I wish there was a happy medium but the only way to find one is going and looking at apartments yourself.

Billy 32
08-22-06, 22:24
As far as the noise I sleep with earplugs and it works great. It is uncomfortable at first but you get used to it fairly quickly. Go to W-Mart before you leave and get the soft foam ones. I am not sure of the name but they make some really comfortable ones that are much better than what I used to use when I worked in a plant.

Moore
08-23-06, 00:31
Buy an electric fan for 50 pesos. Then you only hear the fan/white noise and not the street noise.

Earplugs are great for long flights.

Nemesis
08-23-06, 13:54
Stay out of Recoleta. Way to noisy for a late night partying tourist.

The only kind of earplug worth a shit is the silicone variety.