PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend a cinema showing movies in English

Strad
08-29-06, 05:50
I went to the Villiage Mega cinema, was told of all the showing movies have been dubbed in spanish. Kind of disappointed but undstood that I am not in a English speaking country.

Cheers,

Strad

Thomaso276
08-29-06, 10:11
Check in the papers and most listings in the movie section will have a small note regarding the language of the film. Many places will have two versions running in the multiplexes- one English, one in Spanish.

Hemin
08-29-06, 11:40
I am not an english native speaker, but I like to see the movies in their original language. Thus I normally go to Patio Bullrich in Recoleta that has sesions for these movies in the orginal lenguage. Also Alto Palermo's movie theater runs this special viewings. Just check the newspapers for the times.

Jackpot
08-29-06, 20:11
For English movies you can go to the Village Recoleta (Vicente Lopez and Junin) and catch a bunch of English flics, subtitled in espanol.

The second floor ticket purchase area has a large illuminated billboard with movie titles and times. All are in english unless noted.

With "castallano" after the title. However, spanish language films are also shown here and are not distinguishable by title. Best to get the weekly flyer.

Available in the lower lobby. This will give you all the data on the flic.

BTW, this could be the finest movie theater in BA.

The Clarin movie ads will do the same for popular Hollywood movies by noting if they are in castallano.

Best to ask if un-sure - Just ask " es este pelicula en castallano o inglis?"

Best movie area is Lavalle between Suipacha and San Martin, good bargains all day and night.

Happy viewing.

Jackpot

Dickhead
08-29-06, 20:38
It would be even better to ask, "¿Esta película es en castellano o en inglés?" since película is feminine. Este chico, esta chica. Esta película, estas películas. The adjective must always agree in number and gender with the noun it modifies.

Moore
08-29-06, 21:12
"¿Esta película es en castellano o en inglés?" I believe "¿Esta película está en castellano o en inglés?" would be better. "¿Está en castellano o en inglés esta película?" is probably much better. The language of the movie is what you want to emphasize, therefore you put it first. Subject/verb/object order is very flexible in Spanish.

BadMan
08-29-06, 21:22
I see we have some philologists on the board.

I think you are right Moore, and although I'm not sure how the customs in BA are, it is customary in latin american culture to begin your question with a "con permiso" as in "excuse me". It's not necessary, but it generally helps me get nicer responses ;)

Moore
08-29-06, 21:31
BadBoy,

You will find that Argentine Spanish is relatively informal. I always notice how much Usted is used in other countries. In Argentina you rarely use it in a social situation.

Starting a question with "con permiso"? What?

BadMan
08-29-06, 21:57
Starting a question with "con permiso"? What?I meant that if you walk up to the ticket person and want to ask them a question, it is basic good manners in latin american culture to start the question with con permiso, as in " Excuse me, is this film shown in english or in spanish?".

Thats what I meant.

Dickhead
08-29-06, 22:13
I believe "¿Esta película está en castellano o en inglés?"

NO.

There is no way the verb estar would be used in this situation. It is definitely ser. Ser points out permanent characteristics of nouns. And as far as the word order is concerned, "¿Es en inglés la película?" or "¿La película es en inglés?" is of no importance since there is no adjective modifying the noun. Both are correct. The word order is flexible. Similarly I can say "Hoy viene mi amigo" or "Mi amigo viene hoy."

Moore is correct in that a particular word order might emphasize a certain point, but then you get into the question of are you asking "is this movie in English or Spanish?" (implying that of the several movies being shown in the complex some are in one language and some are in the other), versus, "is this movie in English? (implying there is but one movie whose language is in question).

But he's totally wrong about using estar here!

Some adjectives, such as buena and mala, for example, can go either before or after the noun. Other times there are rules. Adjectives of quantity must precede the noun they modify. Adjectives of nationality follow the noun. Some adjectives change meaning depending on whether they follow or precede the noun: "Un gran ******" is a great man while "un ****** grande" is a large man.

While I have certainly heard questions preceded by "Con permiso," the most frequent thing I hear down here preceding a question is simply "Una pregunta."

Moore
08-29-06, 22:30
-----------------------------------

I believe "¿Esta película está en castellano o en inglés?"

NO.

There is no way the verb estar would be used in this situation. It is definitely ser. Ser points out permanent characteristics of nouns. And as far as the word order is concerned, "¿Es en inglés la película?" or "¿La película es en inglés?" is of no importance since there is no adjective modifying the noun. Both are correct. The word order is flexible. Similarly I can say "Hoy viene mi amigo" or "Mi amigo viene hoy."

Moore is correct in that a particular word order might emphasize a certain point, but then you get into the question of are you asking "is this movie in English or Spanish?" (implying that of the several movies being shown in the complex some are in one language and some are in the other), versus, "is this movie in English? (implying there is but one movie whose language is in question)

But he's totally wrong about using estar here!

Some adjectives, such as buena and mala, for example, can go either before or after the noun. Other times there are rules. Adjectives of quantity must precede the noun they modify. Adjectives of nationality follow the noun. Some adjectives change meaning depending on whether they follow or precede the noun: "Un gran ******" is a great man while "un ****** grande" is a large man.

While I have certainly heard questions preceded by "Con permiso," the most frequent thing I hear down here preceding a question is simply "Una pregunta."------------------------------------

BadMan
08-29-06, 22:38
While I have certainly heard questions preceded by "Con permiso," the most frequent thing I hear down here preceding a question is simply "Una pregunta."You are completely right on that one. Allthough con permiso or perdon is considered proper, " Una pregunta" works just as well in an informal setting and even better sometimes.

I had forgotten about that one. Damn, I've been speaking too much damn russian lately. When I get to BA, my spanish is going to be atrocious :(

Dickhead
08-29-06, 23:16
Hell, use them both. "Disculpe, con permiso, no quiero interrumpirle pero quisiera preguntarle algo si no le molesta. ¿pudiera decirme dónde está el baño?"

Or "Che, ¿dónde está el coño baño?" if you haven't got all god damn day.

Tinman
08-29-06, 23:53
"Che, ¿dónde está el coño baño?"Jajaja.

I personally use "disculpame" and only use "con permiso" if I want to reach over and grab something in front of someone or lend someone a hand with something if they can't figure it out. A lot of waiters will use "con permiso" or just "permiso" to grab your plates and shit from the table.

I suppose you could also use "con permiso" before slipping your hand down a woman's bombacha, or forgo the formalities and just offer up a "perdon" after the fact if she pulls away in disgust.

Dickhead
08-30-06, 00:40
Note that "disculpame" would be the familiar (vos) form and "discúlpeme" would be the formal (usted) form. So if you stick your hand down the bombacha of an older lady or one you don't know real well, you should say "discúlpeme" but if you stick your hand down the bombacha of a close friend or relative, you should say "disculpame," but only in Argentina or Uruguay where "vos" is used. In all other countries it should be "discúlpame."

Similarly if you fart in front of a very distinguished or older person, you should say "perdóneme" and if you fart in front of your sister or your pet dog you should say "perdoname" but if your pet dog is not from Argentina or Uruguay you should say "perdóname."

And if a waiter shits on your table, and you are the only one at the table, he should say "la concha de tu puta madre" if he knows you very well, and "la concha de su puta madre" if he doesn't know you very well. But if there is more than one diner at the table when he shits on it, he must say "las conchas de sus putas madres" regardless of how well he knows everyone at the table.

Proper etiquette is very important in Latin America.