PDA

View Full Version : Stoves and Ovens

StrayLight
09-01-06, 22:54
Hola amigos,

OK, I am living here now & am beginning an apartment renovation project. But I have one major problem (aside from being shit-faced en esto momento)

Cooking.

I really love to cook, and I want a really good stove/oven. From various queries, it appears that local, Argentine-made stoves/ovens suck. The reason(s) appear to be (1) no accurate temperature control, (2) no insulation, (3) blah blah...

Everyone I've asked has said, "Get an imported product with an electric oven and a gas range."

Further, the Ariston brand has been mentioned more than once.

So I went looking for Aristons out in Nuņez the other day, and came across Aristons and SMEGs, both Italian imports with electric ovens, temperature control, blah blah...

On the surface, SMEGs appear to be much more enticing for any number of reasons. However, an Internet search of reviews yielded a bunch of Brits in England screaming that SMEGs suck.

Mi pregunta...

Does anyone here (1) know jack shit about cooking, and (2) have something meaningful to say (preferably based on first-hand experience) about Ariston vs SMEG. Or...have some third brand they would care to tout?

Muchas gracias. If you can help me out here, I might have you over for a dinner of my world-famous steak au poivre.

SL

Dickhead
09-01-06, 23:55
I know about cooking and my advice would be to discard any advice or opinions rendered by Brits, who are without doubt the world's worst cooks, and make the world's worst manufactured goods, including appliances. I'd further speculate that comments about "lack of accurate temperature control" come from those who lack the simple mathematical skills to convert from Fahrenheit to Celsius (centigrade) Celsius is used by the entire civilized world and can be roughly converted for oven purposes as follows:

400 F = 205 C.

375 F = 190 C.

350 F = 175 C.

325 F = 160 C.

The exact math is: #C = (#F - 32) * (5 / 9)

But yeah, gas stove and electric oven is the way to go. Personally, if I had the space, I'd have an electric convection oven, well insulated, at eye height, plus a gas range with a gas oven. Eventually you will wish you had two ovens and the second one might as well be gas. Gas ovens suck for baking cakes but are better for baking potatoes, and there is nothing like a gas broiler for basting eggs, finishing omelettes, glazing, and so forth. Or get a salamander if you have the bucks (you really need an exhaust hood for that).

Thomaso276
09-02-06, 03:09
Ariston - I have the gas stove top (called an anafe) includes 4 burners and an electric grill for steaks Modelo: PH941MSTBGH; and the gas oven / electric broiler combo oven built into the wall, which also has a built in rostissere (spelling? Great for chicken. Modelo: FBGIX.

DH is right, my GF cooks alot of cakes and the gas is okay but not the best.

Bought them around Dec. 06 for my apartment. Best prices were at Rodo (300 block of Florida) similar to a Best Buy in USA. They will discount for cash.

Here is the webpage:

http://www.rodo.com.ar/productos/default.asp?IDcat=9&pag=1

I shopped all over the place - most would not discount Ariston. I cannot comment on prices now - I am sure they are higher. PM me if you need more specifics as I would have to pull my receipts.

El Greco
09-02-06, 04:15
For the last 8 years I am using, in my summer house in Greece, a 90cm wide one with four burners on top (3 gas,1 electric) and with electric oven with zero broblems.

El Greco

StrayLight
09-02-06, 23:23
I'd further speculate that comments about "lack of accurate temperature control" come from those who lack the simple mathematical skills to convert from Fahrenheit to Celsius.I dunno. The oven in my current temporary rental is simply ON/OFF. Absolutely no apparent way to control the temperature.

Eventually you will wish you had two ovens.Actually, that's part of the plan.

Or get a salamander if you have the bucks (you really need an exhaust hood for that)Need some help here...what's a "salamander"? And I do have an exhaust hood in the kitchen (kind of dated and being replaced as part of the renovation)

Thanks.

El Greco and Thomaso, thanks for your input, too.

SL

Dickhead
09-03-06, 01:36
A salamander is an open overhead broiler with a pull-out rack. It is called a salamander because when you look at the flame pattern, it sort of slithers around. These are great for finishing things off, and you can make primo omelettes and basted eggs in them too.

BundaLover
09-03-06, 04:21
OK. We need more information then we have. So before the love of you life starts to suck your cock get out the catalog of ovens and ask her to which one she reccomends and why. Perhaps she recalls which one her sister or mother has. Then post the information here. Sept. 06 ranges, October 07 vacuum cleaners, Nov. 07 dishwashers, Dec. 07 feminine hygine products.