PDA

View Full Version : La Maroma - Mario Bravo y Humahuaca

StrayLight
09-16-06, 00:14
(Note: Moore, you can stop reading right here. La Maroma makes Rodi Bar look like the Four Seasons.)

If you prefer riding the subte or taking a collectivo instead of hoping in a cab, you're sure to like La Maroma, at the corner of Mario Bravo and Humahuaca, must a few blocks from the Madrona subte stop on Av. Corrientes.

This is an old neighborhood parrilla of the sort that I believe are getting harder and harder to find.

The atmosphere is...authentic. No other word to describe it.

The food -- if you're into really good neighborhoody parrilla fare -- is excellent and inexpensive. And the menu is about as full as any I've seen. For example, they must have 50 or 60 different pollo dishes.

I recently went with an Argentino friend who had the bife de chorizo. He got a good slab of meat -- cooked almost to perfection according to him -- and papas fritas for $14.50 pesos.

Although I'm into parrilla grub, I'm also into stews. So on a recent visit I had the locro, which I love. Unlike some of the locro up in the Recoleta / Palermo area (which is chock full of just beef and sausage) the locro at La Maroma had hefty portions of organ meat, too, which is what I look for in locro. It was thick and hearty and good. On a previous visit, I had the Lenteja (sp?) de Espanol, which was also thick and hearty and good. Next time I'm going to try the "cow stomach" (I can't remember the Spanish name) stew.

I don't know that I'd trek all the way down there just to visit La Madroma, but if you happen to be down that way and want good meal at a good price with lots of atmosphere, you might just check it out.

SL

Lochdhu
09-16-06, 03:15
Next time I'm going to try the "cow stomach" (I can't remember the Spanish name) stew.

SLAre you refering to Menudo? Mmmm my Favorite! Hard to find good menudo any place these days.

Dickhead
09-16-06, 03:20
"Tripe is a type of edible offal made from the stomach of various domestic animals. Beef tripe is typically made from the first three of a cow's four stomachs, the rumen (blanket / flat / smooth tripe) the reticulum (honeycomb and pocket tripe) and the omasum (book / bible / leaf tripe) Abomasum (reed) tripe is also seen, but with much less frequency, owing to its glandular tissue content. Sheep and pork tripe are also produced.

Fresh tripe, which includes bits of the stomach's last content, smells very unappetizing for humans but is a favourite of many dogs and other carnivores. Tripe has to be watered and meticulously cleaned for human consumption. "Green tripe" refers to unwashed tripe, not suitable for human consumption but often used in dog food. Green tripe is not actually green, but dark brown."

Mmmm. Yummm. BTW here they call it "mondongo" and not "menudo."

StrayLight
09-16-06, 10:48
BTW here they call it "mondongo".Yup, that's the word I was looking for. Thanks.

SL