PDA

View Full Version : El Palacio de Pizza

Big Bob 7
09-22-06, 09:14
This place is located on Corrientes in the Microcentro. It is maybe a block from Maipu. I passed this place many times and didn't give it a second glance because it is in the heart of the Microcentro and I figured that it would be an overated overpriced tourist joint. I finally came here a week ago after a session at the Maipu apartment which is about 2 block away. I was blown away by the food here. They specialize in a deep dish kind of pizza which is rare in Buenos Aires. They don't even make a thin crust pizza. The crust is amazing. What makes it so special is that it has that fresh baked taste of a bakery. It is an integral part of the taste of the pizza and they make it in such a way that it has this crust on the bottom but it is soft in the middle. The muzzerella is very flavorful and high quality as is the sauce. This pizza is unique in that I can't think of any other pizza to compare it to. It's not like a Chicago style pizza it is something new and different. The only problem is that it is not cheap by Argenitine standards. I think that one slice is 4-5 pesos. I had a desert there called an almendrado. It was a slice of ice cream molded into the shape of a slice of bread with almonds stuck to the edges. It comes with the most amazing almond sauce that is like a hot syrup that you pour over the top. Really great. Surprisingly, everytime I go here it seems to be packed more with locals than tourists. Check it out. You won't be disapointed.

Big Bob 7
09-26-06, 02:31
They only way that you could possibly say that this is the worst pizza in Buenos Aires is if you just don't like deep dish pizza which is fine. Since I stated in the review that it was deep dish why the fuck would you go there in the first place? What in your humble opinion is THE BEST pizza in Buenos Aires? This place is highly recommended by the local boards but pizza is very individual. I thought that it was great.

Big Bob 7
09-26-06, 02:49
My intention is not to start some useless flame war over pizza. My point is that your comment is essentially useless because it has no content. All you say is that the place sucks. Maybe if you were a little bit more articulate in explaining why it sucks readers could assimilate the info coming from both points of view and make an informed decision for themselves.

Dickhead
09-26-06, 03:09
How about medium crust pizza? I don't like flat crispy pizza too much nor deep dish sloppy hard to cut pizza too much. So, to me the best pizza in town is El Cuartito on Talcahuano between Paraguay and Córdoba or if not I am not off by more than one block in any direction. Honorable mention to Kentucky Pizza on Santa Fe in the high 4000s on the even numbered or south side of the street. But some of the other food there sucks so stick to the pizza and don't get too creative.

On the budget side if you go to that chain on Lavalle between Suipacha and Carlos Pellegrini also on the even side, and tell them you are not in a hurry and not to put it in the microwave, it ain't bad.

Stormy
09-26-06, 10:20
El Cuartito is right at the corner of Talcahuano and Paraguay.

One small pizza is enough for two hungry men. The pizza "Atomica" is actually spicy and the pizza napolitana with ham is the favorita of my favorita for lunch the next day. The place is often wildly busy.

El Perro
09-26-06, 11:34
Great pizza at El Cuartito. I get over there often. I also like the boxing / futbol posters from "the day".

Dickhead
09-26-06, 12:55
See? You just can't please everyone when it comes to pizza. I don't like La Continental too much. Too salty for me. Must be the cheese. And they burn their empanadas. Some branches may be better than others. I've only been to two La Continentals, the one on Talcahuano near Marcelo and another one somewhere I forget.

El Aleman
09-26-06, 21:01
To pour a little oil (extra virgin olive, please) into the war flames, from a European point of view, where the standards have been set in Naples and Palermo (the one in Sicily, not 10 blocks from here) anything that does not have a thin bottom, crispy, exactly right perimeter and a thin, not too wet topping, and is not buried under a cheese factory's annual production, does not qualify as pizza.

This includes everything I have ever eaten in the U. S. And unfortunately also everything I got yet in Bs. As. It also includes most that is served in Germany.

I had some pizza for lunch, and I am still digesting on the cheese. That's why the remark.

But if anybody finds a real Italian pizza in this city (and I think there should be some, considering 30% of the population is of Italian origin) let us know.

El Alemán

ComeOnDown
09-27-06, 01:24
Well here is the list of my favorite pizza places located in the city (I will not include those located in the suburbs). Each one serving their own style of pizza.

1. Bakano - Aguero 1669

If you want your pizza prepared thin crust then this is the place for you. They are easy on the cheese in this joint so no risk of suffering from cheese indigestion.

2. La Americana - Callao 83

According to an Argentine friend this restaurant has been around since he was a kid and he is now in his 40s. For those who prefer a thicker dough you might want to try their pizza. If you are in a hurry, you can order a porcion and eat standing up at the counter.

3. La Pascana - Paraguay 5100 (Palermo Hollywood)

The thickness of the dough here is somewhere in between - not so thick and not so thin. Unlike the pizza joints above, this one has no other branches. So be prepared to wait in line. It is advisable to come early to avoid the crowd. They even have a website.

http://www.lapascana.com.ar/en/pizzas.html

I'm a pizza lover so I can't wait to try out the other places discussed in this thread.

Buon appetito!

Hunt99
09-27-06, 12:42
To pour a little oil (extra virgin olive, please) into the war flames, from a European point of view, where the standards have been set in Naples and Palermo (the one in Sicily, not 10 blocks from here) anything that does not have a thin bottom, crispy, exactly right perimeter and a thin, not too wet topping, and is not buried under a cheese factory's annual production, does not qualify as pizza.

This includes everything I have ever eaten in the U. S. And unfortunately also everything I got yet in Bs. As. It also includes most that is served in Germany.

I had some pizza for lunch, and I am still digesting on the cheese. That's why the remark.

But if anybody finds a real Italian pizza in this city (and I think there should be some, considering 30% of the population is of Italian origin) let us know.

El AlemánHeresy. You need to be burned at the stake, Aleman. Or thrown into a pizza oven.

This (http://www.choosechicago.com/images/giordanos_pizza.jpg) is the world's greatest pizza. It is served in Chicago and isn't some little tiny shingle of overcooked bread and sauce.

It even tastes better on the second day (http://www.rachelleb.com/images/2004_12_27/giordanos_pizza.jpg) as these pictures (http://www.rachelleb.com/images/2004_12_27/pizza_close.jpg) prove.

BadMan
09-27-06, 13:34
After living in Europe for the past year I'm tired of the crap they pass off as pizza here, friggen pita bread with parmesan sprinkled on it. Quattro Formaggi my ass.

I can't wait to try some good ol' new york style big slice pizza or some nice deep dish. If anyone knows any good new york style pizza places here ala Joe Peeps, I would be most greatful for the information.

I don't mind the heart burn, as long as the pizza is gooooood:)

Exon123
09-27-06, 13:47
Badboy13,

Try "Filo's" on San Martian just this side of M. T. Alavar and Paragary, Its the best I've found in Buenos Aires. They serve a thin crust.

Exon

Dickhead
09-27-06, 13:58
To translate Exon's post, the place is on San Martín on some side, we don't know which, of Paraguay and Marcelo T de Alvear (which run parallel). I'm not sure it's on "this" side. It might be on "that" side.

So maybe when Exon Get's Done JacKing Off he Could tell Us which side, like maybe north or south, or maybe he means it is between Marcelo T de Alvear and Paraguay, or maybe he Got Some in His eye while he Was Jacking Off and can't remember where the fucking place is.

Hound
09-27-06, 14:28
I second Exon's opinion of Filo's pizza. It's one of the few places, along with Romario's, that seem to cook the crust and cheese at the same time. Thin indeed. As for NY style pizza, unfortunatly BB, I think you'll be disappointed in what you'll find here that has any resemblance. It's just not similar to what you're used to. A somewhat decent and really busy walk-in slice joint can be found on Lavalle between Florida and Maipu if you're in the area.

El Perro
09-27-06, 14:31
I like Filo's as well. In addition to decent pizza, they have a huge menu. Includes mussels, clams etc. Also, some very nice looking non pros as well as some working girls in with their "dates". Pretty hip atmosphere as BA goes. Can't help with directions as I don't remember. It's on the side of the street the cabbie disposes you. Hound or Thomaso know this area well.

Well, ol Hound weighed in while I was typing.

Dickhead
09-27-06, 14:42
I heard there was an internet that some guy named Al Gore invented so I looked it up. The name is just plain Filo and it is 975 San Martín which indeed places it between Paraguay and Marcelo T de Alvear. That is the east side of the street.

So if you are Exon and you walk out of Martina's apartment building in the 1000 block of Suipacha after Getting a Hand Job, you have to turn away from the hand you jack off with and then turn away from the hand you jack off with again when you get to Marcelo, then turn towards the hand you jack off with when you get to San Martín, and then it is on the side of the street where you could be walking down the street playing pocket pool with yourself and they could not see you doing it.

Exon123
09-27-06, 19:42
Its right under Thomaso's apartment.

Course there'll be some CockSucker's that don't Jack Off, thinking their going to go blind form doing it that don't like the place.

But its the best I've found.

Exon

============================================

Greetings everyone,

I left this Exon missive untouched so you might get a glimpse of what they usually look like before I edit them.

Thanks,

Jackson

Moore
09-28-06, 00:18
As much as I like it, Chicago pizza or New York pizza is just that - it's not Italian pizza.

Argentine pizza (like what you get at Romario or just about any sidewalk cafe in BsAs) is much closer to the real thing than American pizza. And Filo is about as close to the genuine Italian product that you can get without being in Naples.

BTW, Italians (the ones in Italy) never heard of spaghetti with meatballs either.

Aqualung
11-19-06, 03:48
Any decent Argentine Pizzería will give you a choice of A la piedra (thin crust) media masa (thicker) and Masa (thickest) - You just have to ask