PDA

View Full Version : Smoking in BsAs

Hound
09-26-06, 17:44
It appears the days of lighting up in bars, restaurants, locutorios, shopping malls and other private places--legally-- is coming to an end in a few days. The law re private establishments (Ley 1799) goes into effect on 10/1/06 and has been in effect for public places since 3/1/06.

Article 19 lists public places to be affected with some wiggle room noted for larger restaurants and bars of at least 100 sq meters in article 21c.

The question is: will owners / proprietors willingly comply or wait for and willingly bear the heat certainly to be forthcoming from non-smoking customers and staff if they don't comply?

http://www.cedom.gov.ar/es/legislacion/normas/leyes/html/ley1799.html

Hunt99
09-26-06, 19:32
The question is: will owners / proprietors willingly comply or wait for and willingly bear the heat certainly to be forthcoming from non-smoking customers and staff if they don't comply?I don't smoke cigarettes, but it has been my experience that bars and restaurants the world over have almost never made themselves into "smoke-free" establishments.

Only when overbearing governments require "smoke-free" establishments do they exist.

I don't expect any "heat" from non-smoking customers to cause anybody to become "smoke-free." If there was any demand for this, the free market would have delivered it already (as it has with no-smoking sections, as opposed to entire establishments).

Full Throttle
09-27-06, 14:02
Overbearing governments infringe on one's rights interfering with personal activities.

Responsible governments prevent people from infringing on other's rights.

Smoking bans are consistent with the latter.

Supply and demand does NOT work in this case. Supply and demand leads to all of us enduring all of you because exposure beats masturbating at home with Exon.

Hunt99
09-27-06, 15:18
Smoking bans are consistent with the latter.BS. You don't like the smokers in my restaurant? Eat someplace else.

I don't like that you threaten my pocketbook by being a fat pig who causes my insurance rates to rise. Should we then ban doughnuts?

I don't like that your drunken ass causes noise in my neighborhood, when you come spilling out of a bar after a bender. Should we then ban alcohol?

Freedom means doing what I want, and if you don't like it, you don't have to associate with me or my associates. Be it with cigarettes, booze, or hookers.

Full Throttle
09-27-06, 18:12
Freedom means doing what I want, and if you don't like it, you don't have to associate with me or my associates. Be it with cigarettes, booze, or hookers.Not accurate at all.

Thomaso276
09-27-06, 20:16
FT, please remember that next time picketts block your subway ride or bus route street or bridge while this gov't stands by and does nothing.

I smoke and have no problem with non-smoking sections. Watch how many places will claim 100 sq. Meters or more as the law is implemented.

El Perro
09-27-06, 22:15
After having banned smoking, most topless / nude dancing, much of the crime; now New York City is planning to ban food containing trans fat in most restaurants. If you non smokers hold your breath for awhile something you value is going to be banned. Only a matter of time with the "we know what's best for you" mentality currently in vogue. So watch what you wish for. Patriot fries, or whatever the fuck they were, might be next.

Full Throttle
09-28-06, 11:41
FT, please remember that next time picketts block your subway ride or bus route street or bridge while this gov't stands by and does nothing.

I smoke and have no problem with non-smoking sections. Watch how many places will claim 100 sq. Meters or more as the law is implemented.I'd be thrilled with mandatory non-smoking areas in BA. Girls need to drink and smoke to like me. At the moment, however, there are no bars or nightclubs in Argentina, certainly not ones that are principally chica joints, that have non-smoking areas. To me, that means that the laws of supply and demand don't work in this case.

Were I given a chance to vote for or against the law, I'd be severely conflicted. My policy is never to support a law that limits one's rights unless the choices of one obviously infringes on the rights of another. Without strict adherence to that principle, we all will find ourselves in the minority that others don't care about when legislators sharpen their pencils.

What are the odds it will be enforced?

FT

Bold Focker
10-02-06, 10:39
I am very please, As a non-smoker I used to hate going into a chica bar in the trialngle and see 25 of the 30 girls smoking. I constaintely had to move to another section, because someone would light up next to me.

It was not an issue then that the N / S never had any choice, As FT said "No N / S sections" But now the Smoker has no choice, and it becomes an issue!

Could someone let me know if the rules are being adheared to, if they are I may plan another trip. The report I read in the Uk, said that the owner will be fined if he permitts smoking, so it should be inforced!

Well done BA! In England I have to wait at least another 6 months before it comes in!

El Perro
10-02-06, 10:55
My guess is the no smoking ban, particularly in sketchier places, will be adhered to as are most laws in BA.;) The police might want a hike in their propina. It will be interesting to see how it plays out in a country (or is it BA?) where about 40% of adults smoke.

El Aleman
10-02-06, 21:19
In Newport, night of Oct. 1, aparently they had not heard anything aboput the new law. Or they did nopt care. Or they had good enough "protection" to be scared by the issue. Fact was, everybody except myself smoked.

El Alemán

David Ross
10-02-06, 23:11
My favorite cafés in Las Cańitas are not only smoke free, but they have posted signs that explain the new smoke free law.

Stormy
10-02-06, 23:35
Tonight the whole back section on the first floor was smokeless. It was very nice. Smokers never notice that they stink and are killing people; they like to talk about their rights. Right.

El Aleman
10-03-06, 01:44
Newport tonight - no ashtrays, and an attempt to smoke is interrupted by the waitress. It's a shame.

SanteFe
10-03-06, 04:28
Newport tonight - no ashtrays, and an attempt to smoke is interrupted by the waitress. It's a shame.After that for some reason the ash trays were all put out again for the passionate use of all the patrons who were quick to light up and take advantage.

Bold Focker
10-18-06, 08:25
Are they smoking in the triangle and other chica clubs?

And I don ’t mean smoking hot!

Is the smoking ban affected by the size of the premises?

If a place is under 100m2 can they still allow smoking or vice versa?

Is this why El-Alamo still allows smoking?

Maxepr
03-08-07, 03:33
God, protect me from those trying to protect me.

Bold Focker
03-15-07, 07:02
God, protect me from those trying to protect me.I am not trying to protect you, you can do what you like!

You have the right to smoke (now in desinated areas) and the right to die!

What I don't like is when other people selfish habit restricts, and affects the comfort of other people social life! Namely mine.

Fretta
03-15-07, 11:12
One of the MAIN reasons I'm thinking of buying in BsAs is because I can go into any restaurant without a bar and eat without smokers. I have an *instant* reaction to cigarette smoke—it triggers migraines that are sometimes incapacitating. Oh sure, call me a sissy, but it sucks vomiting because your head hurts so bad.

Hunt99
03-15-07, 11:27
One of the MAIN reasons I'm thinking of buying in BsAs is because I can go into any restaurant without a bar and eat without smokers. I have an *instant* reaction to cigarette smoke—it triggers migraines that are sometimes incapacitating. Oh sure, call me a sissy, but it sucks vomiting because your head hurts so bad.Move to New York City or California, where they enforce the no-smoking law like the Gestapo.

No matter what the law is, people are going to smoke in Buenos Aires.

Daddy Rulz
03-15-07, 14:00
I actually prefer the restaurants smoke free and am glad I can spark up in Cattos. I must admit that it makes me giggle when people walk down the street breathing the toxic waste from the collectivos and then try to convince me that the smoke from my cigarette from 10 feet away is going to harm them.

It's a disgusting habit I agree, it stinks and it's invasive. If somebody doesn't like the disgusting smell ask me to put it out on those grounds I'm happy to comply unless I'm in a smoking area then fuck off and move yourself. But in this city with this air quality don't try to make the case for health reasons. I could smoke 20 at a time all day long sitting on your shoulders and it's not even going to be close to what you take in from standing on one street corner in the center waiting for one light to change.

El Perro
03-15-07, 14:15
I actually prefer the restaurants smoke free and am glad I can spark up in Cattos. I must admit that it makes me giggle when people walk down the street breathing the toxic waste from the collectivos and then try to convince me that the smoke from my cigarette from 10 feet away is going to harm them.

It's a disgusting habit I agree, it stinks and it's invasive. If somebody doesn't like the disgusting smell ask me to put it out on those grounds I'm happy to comply unless I'm in a smoking area then fuck off and move yourself. But in this city with this air quality don't try to make the case for health reasons. I could smoke 20 at a time all day long sitting on your shoulders and it's not even going to be close to what you take in from standing on one street corner in the center waiting for one light to change.Nice post from a fellow smoker and I couldn't agree more. When I was in Barcelona I noted a very sane smoking / no smoking policy. It seems that it was left up to the owners how they wanted to proceed. Some places forbid smoking outright, some had sections for both, and some allowed smoking anywhere. I am not sure if the local laws were being flaunted by some, but it gave everybody, whatever their preference, alot of options. A breath of fresh air.:)

Bold Focker
03-16-07, 20:46

It's a disgusting habit I agree, it stinks and it's invasive. If somebody doesn't like the disgusting smell ask me to put it out on those grounds I'm happy to comply unless I'm in a smoking area then fuck off and move yourself. But in this city with this air quality don't try to make the case for health reasons. I could smoke 20 at a time all day long sitting on your shoulders and it's not even going to be close to what you take in from standing on one street corner in the center waiting for one light to change.Do they still allow you to smoke in the triangle bars?

Daddy Rulz
03-16-07, 21:00
Do they still allow you to smoke in the triangle bars?Yup and it's funny, whenever somebody comes in that matters about it they run around at breakneck speed to pick up the ashtrays.