PDA

View Full Version : Tango Lessons

Big Nose
10-19-06, 17:44
First let me say thanks to everyone for the posts on this kewl forum. I will be in BA in November for two weeks and plan to raise hell.

Also, I want to take private tango lessons on a pretty intensive basis. I have taken a few lessons here in California, and want to come back from BA much more advanced.

Does anyone have any comments or help? What would be ideal is a nice cute BA girl that could teach me a couple hours a day.

Thanks.

Timba8
10-20-06, 01:03
How good is your Spanish?

TangoManiac
10-20-06, 05:36
Go here, and get her contact information. Her name is Romina and her bf's name is Carlos sosto. By far one of the best values I ever had for lessons.

She teaches on wednesdays a group class at Confiteria Ideal at suipacha 384. Thats where I originally found her. You will be paying the locals rate with her. I paid like 40 pesos an hour last year. (For TANGO LESSONS not sex! Don't fuck it up by paying the gringo rate with other instructors of like 30 bucks. She's an awesome teacher AND she speaks english!

Lessons are at her place in san telmo. Bus goes right past her studio. Best value to price I've seen. Plus shes pretty damn hot and speaks english.

www.nuestromundotango.com.ar

Big Nose
10-20-06, 15:22
Timba,

I live in southern california so I know basic Spanish. I can congugate verbs in the present tense and form small sentences. I am hoping to get a bump to my Spanish skills while in BA also.

If you have a teacher that can get along with entry level spanish let me know.

Maniac-

This looks real good. I sent them an email.

Thanks for the help.

Will be staying in an apartment in the Recoleta from Nov. 3 to Nov. 20.

Here comes 2 weeks of Tango, Spanish, and Mongering.

I will file reports.

BTW, to all you skirt chasers: Tell me if I'm wrong. Outside of money, dancing Tango (or Salsa, if applicable) is pretty much the fastest way to a throw down.

Timba8
10-24-06, 01:02
Okay, my tango stinks, like P. U. but, I have been to BA twice for Tango, so I will tell you what I know.

If you have basic Spanish skills, your options become much greater as most Maestras / Maestros de Tango do not speak english. You don't need a big fancy vocaulary as many words are used often (Cuerpo, Linea de Baile.

The least expensive option is to go to daytime / early evening milongas where they have lessons. My friends, who are better Tangueros like the noon lesson at Confiteria Ideal. The teachers there speak pretty good english too. They spend alot of time with you and there are quite a few women there who aren't too picky about partners. If you like the teacher, you can schedule private lessons. Typical cost for the group lesson is AR$15 and the lesson goes for 2-3 hours.

My choice is private lessons. My teacher, who speaks pretty good english charges AR$60 per hour plus the studio fee. She is fairly young, married, a really nice lady, and the only person I have found so far that I really enjoy Tango Argentino with.

Some good Tango links I have found are tejastango.Com, tangodata.Com.Ar/ ingles/e_index.Htm and planet-tango.Com.

The Milongas I have been to are, Confiteria Ideal, El Beso, Salon Canning and La Glorieta. Ideal and Canning are fairly large floors, Beso is pretty small. La Glorieta is pretty neat. It is an open air bandstand in a park just across the the street from the Belgrano train station. It runs on the weekends and I don't think there is a charge.

For Salsa I liked Azucar in Abasto, they only run on the weekends, but they get a good crowd. Definitely check out Malucca Beleza in the same neighborhood. On Friday and Saturday it will take you a long time to get in and they place will be jam packed. I haven't tried other nights.

Well this should give you a start. Feel free to ask any other questions.

Peterd
06-23-08, 23:57
Does anyone know of a good tango teacher or school in BA?

Thanks

Timba8
06-24-08, 00:14
Well, that depends.

What style are you looking for? (nuevo, milonguero, fantasia, salon.

Is it your goal to dance at the milongas with Portenas? Do you already know the codigos?

Christopherd
01-24-09, 23:52
Does anyone know of a good tango teacher or school in BA?

ThanksI used the dancers at Bar Sur. They were awesome.

This isn't them, but a photo for Lukasec that captures the atmosphere of outdoor displays on Sunday afternoon in San Telmo