PDA

View Full Version : Faster internet connection

BigRay
10-26-06, 15:57
Hi guys,

Is there a more reliable & faster ISP than Fibertel? I am a trader & need something much better.

Also, I am in bad need of a good gym; currently live in Palermo Viego. 3 neighborhood small gyms with good classes but horrible equipment.

Thx.

Bigray

Stormy
10-26-06, 16:16
The megatlon gym on Arenales between.

Ayacucho and Riobamba is quite good. I only use the treadmills, but there are 12 of them, and all pretty new.

As far as internet goes, my landlord got my service increased to 1 meg (which in Argentinian terms is 750 KPS at max and down a bit from that in busy periods. I gladly pay extra for that and it has worked out for me. It is a cable modem situation and I don't know which company, but the technical people there spoke english and were helpful a couple of times.

BadMan
10-26-06, 17:43
I think the highest transfer rate in AR is 2MB, I also work online and I have been using the 1 MB and so far it has been enough, If you are using the 1 MB and it isn't enough you can ask the company or your landlord to upgrade it to 2MB Transfer rate, though you will have to pay the difference, which might be up to 100 US depending on the company. Also I have tryed DSL and I have to say, IT SUCKS. I think it was callet ARNET or something, it had a 600k tranfer rate and it was rediculously slow, uploading would take me three times as long. Anyway I am sure you can upgrade your service to 2 MB but it will cost you more. But 2MB is standard high speed in the US, so even for trading, it should be more than fast enough.

Thomaso276
10-26-06, 20:15
Last time I checked, Fibertel 2mg was about 300 pesos. Certainly a high price. Probably higher than in the States and they sure aren't paying their help 20 bucks an hour!

BadMan
10-26-06, 20:48
Yeah that sounds about right 300 AR or 100 US, at least that is what I was told, but the landlord will pay his original price, and you can pay the difference. I think if you don't have the 1 MB rate, you should try it out, I haven't had a problem with that at all, I can upload pretty quickly and download pretty quickly too. But as Thomaso said, you can get the 2 MB for about 300 AR, and that should be more than fast enough.

Hey Thomaso, check this out, while I was in Ukraine I was paying 200 US for 2.4 MB transfer rate, and to top it all off they had a monthly 10,000 MB cap, so as soon as I went over my limit they would charge me per megabite, I mean they didn't charge me that much per megabite but it would add up and there were months I would pay in excess of 280 US, no joke. It is a monopoly Volia Cable, the only Broadband company in that part of europe, talk about free market capitalism.

I here they tryed to do something like that here in Argentina a while back, a tarrif system based on megabites used, and the locals rejected it so that actually stopped their plans, but even though 100 US seems a lot to americans used to paying 40-50 US max, just look at the poor europeans paying 200 bucks a month with a 10,000 megabite transfer cap.