PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian visas

BigRay
10-29-06, 23:36
Anybody know where the Brazilian consulate is here?

Thx

Ricardog
10-30-06, 01:15
Yes. Its on the right on Av 9 De julio as you go out of town after the Santa fa junction. The Brazillian Embassy is on the left an the consulate is across the road on the right. Don't expect any thing in a rush my four day stop over in BA to get my work visa renewed has turned into three weeks and I'm still not on the website list.

Anybody know where the Brazilian consoluate is here?

Thx

Sportsman
10-30-06, 02:34
Don't expect any thing in a rush my four day stop over in BA to get my work visa renewed has turned into three weeks and I'm still not on the website list.I was planning to get my Brazilian visa during my short visit to BsAs last month. Now I'm glad that I did not count on that. I ended up getting it in person at the consulate in NYC. I showed up one day by 10:30 am and it was ready to be picked up by 2:30 pm the next day. In both days I was in and out of that place in less than 15 minutes .

Dancesw/Chicas
10-30-06, 16:45
Ricardo,

My experience was quite different. My visa was ready in 24 hours.

My passport is American. They asked where was I going to stay, how long, and 2 pictures 2x2.

I think the service was fine.

DWC

Sportsman
10-30-06, 21:51
Formerly they were issueing 5 year visas. Now, anybody's guess = 6 months, 3 months, as low as 40 days and probably not 5 years.I think the rule is at least in the consulates in the US, if you get your visa from the consulate that has the juridication where you reside, you'll get a 5 year visa. In my case it's the consulate in NYC. So I got a 5 year visa. I asked what if go in person to the consulate in DC since I travel there every month, I was told I would only get a 90 day visa there. Strange thing is I do not know how would they verify my residency because I did not have to bring anything that shows my home address. You have to put down the address on the visa application form, but how would they know that you're telling the truth? BTW, I think the application fee would have been the same 100 USD for both 90 day and 5 year visa.

Moore
10-31-06, 01:51
I renewed a work visa via the Brasilian embassy in BsAs a few years ago. I got the 5 year visa when my colleagues were telling me that no one was getting 5years in the USA anymore. It was simple and quick and I didn't even have to get off my ass. I just gave my documents to a passport services agent and she returned my passport with visa 2-3 days later. Brasil accepts third parties/agents for these things, unlike the Argentine govt which makes you do almost everything yourself.

IIRC, and this is common for several countries, you have to have a purchased ticket with a departure date <2 weeks out to get the visa.

I highly recommend using a passport service whenever you can. Try the yellow pages. I don't remember which one I used by they are well worth their low fee unless you like waiting in line and researching changing visa requirements.

Ricardog
11-01-06, 14:51
Finally got my visa application underway today so unfortunatley come Tuesday I'm outa here. On the upside I'll be in Rio. Just a bit more info on the address as I managed to completly miss the place the second time I tried to find it that its in the Western Union Building 5th flour 1363 Carlos Pellegrini.

I renewed a work visa via the Brasilian embassy in BsAs a few years ago. I got the 5 year visa when my colleagues were telling me that no one was getting 5years in the USA anymore. It was simple and quick and I didn't even have to get off my ass. I just gave my documents to a passport services agent and she returned my passport with visa 2-3 days later. Brasil accepts third parties / agents for these things, unlike the Argentine govt which makes you do almost everything yourself.

IIRC, and this is common for several countries, you have to have a purchased ticket with a departure date <2 weeks out to get the visa.

I highly recommend using a passport service whenever you can. Try the yellow pages. I don't remember which one I used by they are well worth their low fee unless you like waiting in line and researching changing visa requirements.

Jackpot
06-26-07, 23:10
Buenos Aires to Rio?

As an American with an Argentine DNI and temporary residency status, can I enter Brasil without a visa. My understanding is residents of MERCOSUR countries are free to travel with out visas within the associate member countries.

Any experiences.

Jackpot

Moore
06-27-07, 03:00
Buenos Aires to Rio?

As an American with an Argentine DNI and temporary residency status, can I enter Brasil without a visa. My understanding is residents of MERCOSUR countries are free to travel with out visas within the associate member countries.

Any experiences.

JackpotYes it is true that Mercosur citizens and residents can travel within the member countries on their DNI or cedula alone (without passport), but if a Mercosur country requires a visa for your nationality then you still need to have such visa regardless of your residence or DNI. As an American citizen you need the visa, which is in your US passport, to enter Brasil. A German citizen with Argentine residence can enter Brasil using the DNI alone since Germans don't need a visa.

Jackpot
06-28-07, 19:34
Thanks for the informative post re: use of DNI.

Jackpot

Alan23
10-18-07, 23:55
While I have no malice for the people of Brazil, their government sucks. I recently applied to the Miami Brazilian Consulate for renewal of my visitor visa. I had previously held a 5 year visitor visa - which I included a copy with my application.

Having read / heard all the crap that the Buenos Aires Consulate had been dishing out, I decided to apply while I was in Florida. Folks, the end result seems to be the same - 90 days visa issued!

For those with their hearts set on the termas and bikinis of Copacabana, this probably won't deter you. But for those sitting on the fence about a potential visit (or more importantly multiple visits) should take notice.

Apparently the Brazilians have declared war on American tourists, in a manner that lines their pockets. Total cost for a 90 visitor visa was $134 USD, as they require returned visa to be sent via Express Mail (which they simply tossed the envelope in a mailbox, resulting in 2 day delivery)

For the third world apologists, may I remind you that while US visitor visas are difficult to obtain - when they are issued it is normally for 10 years ($100 for 10 years isn't too bad) I mention this because the Brazilian website makes a big deal out of why they charge US Citizens $100 - reciprocity. They fail to compare the visa validity issue.

I will do my brief visit to Brazil to use this visa - that will be my last until the morons change their ways.

BundaLover
10-19-07, 04:31
That sucks. I wonder if this is the case because you mailed it in, because the Miami consulate has different rules than other consulates, or because something about you. I would mail the passport to the Brazilian Embassy in DC with a NICE letter requesting a 5 year visa. Maybe hinting that you send money there and always reccommend travel to other Americans.

El Perro
10-19-07, 12:14
Thanks for sharing Alan. I was planning to get a visa while in Miami in about a month. I wish we knew what the exact rules are at present. Everything about the Brazilian visa issue seems so fucking arbitrary. Maybe I'll have more luck with my long hair, and might wear a Che T-shirt. If anybody has had a different experience than Alan recently, I hope they post about it.

El Aleman
10-19-07, 14:01
Alan,

You might consider addressing your anger to someone in Washington, DC - fact is that all Europeans travel to Brazil without a visa. Another fact is, that Brazileans travel to Europe also without a visa.

The tendency of the U. S. Government to tighten up their borders by inventing more and more bureaucratic hazzles (visa requirements, fingerprinting, requirement of sending passenger data in advance, etc. etc. pisses off everybody who wants to or has to cross this border, Americans and foreigners alike. People who feel pissed tend to react unfriendly, and foreign administrations consist of people.

This might be a war, but look who has started it, and it is not a war against tourists. You (personally) are just collateral damage. One big difference is, you will get a Brazilean visa, even if it is only for 90 days, while the average Brazilean most likely will not get an U. S. Visitors visa - unless he is invited by a major U. S. Corporation.

This will only end. If YOU, the U. S. Citizens, convince YOUR government, that a more liberal approach will better serve YOUR, the U. S. Interests, and that the way it happens presently is not the way YOU want to be governed.

2 cents from.

El Alemán

Monger514
10-19-07, 17:00
Of course the US gov't is ultimately at fault. Nevertheless, reciprocity is a classic "cut off your nose to spite your face" strategy. They should remove all restrictions and warmly invite any and all Americans (and their money) who want to visit, thus setting a good example. Two wrongs don't make a right.

El Queso
10-19-07, 18:38
Amen, Monger. I understand the temptation that Brasilians may have related to feeling snubbed and snubbing back - but everyone is snubbed getting into the States, it's not just Brasilians. But it's just more American money that they won't be receiving - and the fact is, the States don't need the tourist money from Brasilians the way Brasilians really need every foreign monetary unit they can get (I would think).

I despise the American policy related to granting tourist visas to the States. But the average American is too ignorant to really understand that this is a problem, or even understand why, and in fact is so mislead about threats to the country after 9/11 that they surely feel more secure with such a policy.

The relatively few people who are affected by such things (when compared to all 300 million citizens, how many actually travel to countries where visas are required, and how many of those understand how difficult it is to get a visa for someone they love, for example [in my case], to want to visit the 'great' USA as a foreign citizen) are in such a minority that comments from us few truly affected will NEVER make an impact on US foreign policy, at least not within the foreseeable future.

Alan23
10-19-07, 23:11
Thanks for sharing Alan. I was planning to get a visa while in Miami in about a month. I wish we knew what the exact rules are at present. Everything about the Brazilian visa issue seems so fucking arbitrary. Maybe I'll have more luck with my long hair, and might wear a Che T-shirt. If anybody has had a different experience than Alan recently, I hope they post about it.Hi Dog,

My suggestion in dealing with the Miami Consulate would be the following:

Go in person with application and money order in hand - however do not fill out the "payee" section. Tell them you plan to be a frequent short term visitor (as no visitor can stay more than 180 days per year) Tell them you are only interested in a visa if it is the 5 year variety - and you will plan to visit elsewhere if that is not available to you. Be totally non-threatening in your approach, with hat in hand - remember we are dealing with people that are on the ultimate power-trip.

If they give you a rash of shit, take your money order and leave - this way you are less likely to lose your $100 (it is $110 if you are applying via mail)

Just some food for thought,

Alan

p.s. I had called the Consulate (during "visa hours") to try to get a feel for the 5 year visa situation. I could immediately tell that the situation was grim from the attitude coming from the other end. They have apparently hired some former US Consulate workers :-(

Alan23
10-20-07, 00:22
Alan,

You might consider addressing your anger to someone in Washington, DC - fact is that all Europeans travel to Brazil without a visa. Another fact is, that Brazileans travel to Europe also without a visa.

The tendency of the U. S. Government to tighten up their borders by inventing more and more bureaucratic hazzles (visa requirements, fingerprinting, requirement of sending passenger data in advance, etc. Etc. Pisses off everybody who wants to or has to cross this border, Americans and foreigners alike. People who feel pised tend to react unfriendly, and foreign administrations consist of people.

This might be a war, but look who has started it, and it is not a war against tourists. You (personally) are just collateral damage. One big difference is, you will get a Brazilean visa, even if it is only for 90 days, while the average Brazilean most likely will not get an U. S. Visitors visa - unless he is invited by a major U. S. Corporation.

This will only end. If YOU, the U. S. Citizens, convince YOUR government, that a more liberal approach will better serve YOUR, the U. S. Interests, and that the way it happens presently is not the way YOU want to be governed.

2 cents from.

El AlemánEl Aleman,

I believe you have deliberately missed the point here with your apples & oranges discussion. Let's get down to some facts and away from your partisanship:

1. All counties with the exception of Canada and Bermuda need a visa to enter the USA - this is called consistency.

2. If you happen to be a German, you have the luxury of entering the USA on the Visa Waiver Program, along with 26 other countries. While this list has changed a little over the years, the changes have come as a result of published rule violations - this is called consistency.

3. Your German / Brazilian visa-free program, is called reciprocity.

4. "Tightened borders", what possible country could you be referring to - it certainly is not the USA (20-30 million people illegally entering in the last 20 years) There is no southern border control, only bureaucratic bullshit. All insane "window dressing" to pacify the general and mainly stupid public.

5. Why don't you march to Berlin / Brussels and demonstrate to all of us how you can get something changed; I. E. The barring of US Airlines flying to the EU due to idiotic security / data measures imposed by the TSA.

6. 90% of Brazilians would not qualify for a USA Visitor visa on economic grounds alone. The USA could care less if you have a return ticket - rightly or wrongly they use a system of "substantial ties & likelihood of return"

7. I applaud the Brazilian government for implementing the photographing and fingerprinting ONLY for USA citizens. What is good for the goose is good for the gander - this is consistency and reciprocity (just pissed they didn't give me 5 years of this abuse to enjoy!

All diplomatic / foreign service agencies from ALL countries operate above reproach. However the more economically astute countries don't hide the fact that they use the visitor visa system as a means to generate hard currency (India, Uzbekistan, Turkey, Paraguay, etc. Not as a way to settle foreign policy scores. The previous posters have gotten this point, not sure why it is not visible from your vantage point.

I simply ask a foreign country to tell me the rules, then I can choose to play or not. I'm not looking for you to even respond to this post - a flame war is not desired. However if you have to illustrate your partisanship, can we go to another thread - so as not to trash-up a thread that is meant to provide information on dealing with the Brazilian Consulate.

My $134 USD worth,

Alan

Redondo
10-20-07, 07:34
Brasil is second to only Mexico on illegal border hoppers.

If the USA did not apply the visa requirement there would be a even bigger increase in illegal Brazilians.

BundaLover
10-20-07, 18:14
Lets get back to basics.

1) anybody out there recently applied for and received Brasilian visa?

If so where and for long long was the visa good for?

Jackson
10-21-07, 02:12
Greetings everyone,

I obtained a Brazilian Visa about three weeks ago. I took me four trips to the annex on Carlos Pelegrinni(sp) a few blocks down from Exreda. The office is open M-F from 10 am to 1 pm, that's it.

Going in the door you can tell that it's the sort of government office that generates a lot of irate people, because there's an armed APF police officer sitting at a desk just outside the entry door, another uniformed security guard inside the door, and all the clerks are working behind bulletproof glass.

On the first day I was handed a sheet with the visa requirements and directed to complete an application at one of their computer terminals.

The requirements for the visa are as follows:

1. The completed, signed application form.
2. Passport size photo.
3. Copies of three months of bank statements.
4. Copies of two credit cards (front and back)
5. A copy of your airline ticket.

As I was completing the application, their system went down and they announced that they couldn't take any further applications that day. Okay, I didn't have everything on the list of requirements anyway, so I asked if I could have a paper application to take with me so I could review its requirements. The answer was a curt "no".

On the second day I returned with all the documents and copies. However, their software system was still down, so they handed me (guess what?) a paper application form. After completing the form, I waited until the clerk called my name to review the application and my supporting documentation. Unfortunately there was a problem: I had not written my hotel's exact street address, only the hotel's name and city. This is usually sufficient for a visa, but nooooo! They wanted the exact street address, and I didn't have it with me.

Okay, I dashed out the door and down the street to an internet cafe to get online and lookup the hotel's street address, and then returned to the office 35 minutes later. Too late! It's 1:05 pm and the office stops taking applications at 1:00 pm. Of course, if these fuckers had given me a paper copy of the application the previous day, I would have known then that I needed the hotel's exact street address.

On the third trip my application was accepted and I was given a ticket to deposit the $318 ARS (obviously it was $100 USD) in a bank around the corner. This was a Friday, and I was told to return on Tuesday afternoon between 3 pm and 5 pm to pickup my visa. I subsequently burned up another hour waiting in line at the bank.

Please note that you to must physically present the credit cards to the clerk when submitting the application, and that you will also surrender your passport at that time.

Finally, on my 4th visit, I received a whopping 10 day visa for my planned one week trip.

On final note of interest: As it turned out, on the day I actually submitted the visa application (not on my 1st visit a week earlier) my passport only had 5 months and 28 days left until expiration, and most countries (including Brazil) have a visa requirement that a passport must have a least six months remaining. However, after a discussion between the clerk and her supervisor, and upon presentation of my Argentine residency documents, they determined that this was not an issue, apparently specifically because I was an Argentine resident.

The paper I received detailing the visa requirements included an email address to send my "comments", which I considered doing until it dawned on me that no Brazilian consulate official (or any other human being) would ever actually read any email sent to that address.

Thanks,

Jackson

Zongol
10-21-07, 04:29
I just came back from Brazil (Rio) I had applied for my visa at the Brazilian consulate here in L. A. They were very, very nice and courteous. They asked for my round trip ticket, hotel reservation, $100.00, a recent photo, and the purpose of my trip. It took them only three days. They were kind enough to give me a 5 year visa. I only go if I have a reason to go. I also got to enjoy Rio International Film festival. My Brazilian friends bought tickets for me. Nice people.

El Greco
10-22-07, 11:13
Read your message with a lot of interest.

What have you done to this country (Brasil) to be treated in this way.

I am now in Brasil, and if I stay longer than 3 months I go to police office in central Rio where I have a welcoming committie. They pay me to stay since I realize I am very important for the Brasil economy.

Coming to BA in 2 weeks time.

Really like this site.

Take care everyone.The Policia Federal is now located in Galeao airport 3rd floor.

I went there last Tuesday had to wait about 45 min for my turn and unbeleivably got my permanent visa within 15 min.

I could not beleive it. I had all the necessary papers ready of course thanks to Jackson's Brasilian forum.

Planing a visit to Salvador late February will be glad to meet with you in B's A's to update me. I thought that Casquina was closed.

Thanks.

El Greco

BundaLover
10-22-07, 14:35
El Greco,

What was the basis for your perm visa? Over 55 years of age status or married to a Brasilian? As I understand the brasilian consulate web page these are the 2 reasons to qualify for this visa (plus proof of pension or cash flow if over 55) You say you got this in Brasil and did not apply outside of Brasil?

Thanks

BundaLover
11-24-07, 15:07
Thanks El Greco. I see that you met the requirements and submitted the paperwork they requested.

As of late Nov. 2007 the Brasilian Consulate General in San Francisco is backed-up. They are requiring no less than 7 "working days" to process. I saw people pleading at the counter. It was not pretty. I saw 2 people turned away (after waiting for hours) because one had a money order for 100US and wanted the passport to be mailed to her post visa (this requires 110$ NO CASH) The other had printed out the application form from the Houston consulate where it states 110$ for in person, HOWEVER the SF consulate states 100$ in person. So they could have traded money orders except that they were at the line at different times. The consulate would not take 10$ cash nor return change of 10$ cash so both people were banished from the island.

They are issuing 5 year visas for tourism. Everybody gets 5 years.

Business visas are completley different and NOT 5 years. Don't be a smart ass and pretend you are a businessman! They require DOCS and the visa is worse.

Maximum continous stay is 180 days. 90 day standard and additional 90 Thi by getting the stamp at the Federal Police after arrival to 180 days. Then you have to leave the county, but you can return the next day. If you overstay they will deny entry.

Also if you passport expires but your visa still has years of life on it they WILL accept the old passport expired passport WITH a valid passort. So your visa does NOT expire when your passport expires. This is a GREAT.

They are sticklers for details. Plan ahead. Lots of ignorant tourists are getting nasty turnaround surprises. I HIGHLY reccomend a visa processing service.

Jaimito Cartero
11-24-07, 17:20
The whole Brazilian visa stuff gets me pissed off. If they want reciprocity, fine, but at least give us a 5 year or 10 year visa.

I am amazed at this 10 day visa crap! While I would not go to Brazil as much as Argentina, I would probably go there once a year if not for all the BS entailed in getting a visa.

I got my Brazilian visa in Ecuador this summer, and brought proof of a trip next year as well, hoping for the 5 year one. I've generally found that if you either ask nicely, and aren't pushy, that you'll get what you want. No such luck this time.

In reading Jackson's post, I guess I got lucky, as I just listed the hotel, with no address or anything, and got the 90 day visa (extendable to one year if you visit the police station, I think) And only a 5 minute line at the bank next door, and no real line in the consulate. Plus they had paper forms you could take with no problem.

No income verification needed, of course. Just a copy of the plane ticket, and credit card.

I recall there was some talk of getting rid of the visa requirement that was working it's way through the Brazilian legislature, but haven't heard anything about it lately.

El Greco
11-24-07, 20:14
Maximum continous stay is 180 days. This may be extended to by getting the stamp at the Federal Police after arrival ONE time to 360 days. Then you have to leave the county, but you can return the next day. If you overstay they will deny entry.You've better double check on this one. I have read their law and it states for ninety days visa with the possibility of another ninety days extension once per year with a maximum stay of 180 days in any given contineous 365 days. That is the tourist visa regulations not for the business one which I know nothing about. It is 90+90 NO 180+180.

Now for the passport being expired before the visa does that applies for the USA too. I have 3 different 10 year visas for the USA, one being tourist and the other two for business, but my passports only lasts for 5 years. So I carry the old one with me too until visa expiration time.

El Greco

BundaLover
11-24-07, 21:15
El Greco,

You are correct. I was in error about the 90 days. I editted the post. Here is the web site.

http://www.brazilsf.org/visa_eng.htm

ohhhh more weirdness. What happens if in the second visit one stays 180 days (legally) then makes a visa run to Buenos Aires? The rule below says nothing about this.

E. Brazilian tourist visas are valid for multiple entries within the period of time shown on the visa stamp. Unless specified otherwise, Brazilian tourist visas allow for stays in Brazil totaling up to 90 days in the one-year period following the date of the first entry. A one-time extension of up to 90 days may be granted in Brazil by the Brazilian Federal Police Department (Delegacia de Estrangeiros). If granted, the extension allows for stays summing up to 180 days (combining the first 90-day period and the 90-day extension) within the one-year period following the date of the first entry.

El Greco
11-25-07, 13:07
El Greco,

You are correct. I was in error about the 90 days. I editted the post. Here is the web site.

http://www.brazilsf.org/visa_eng.htm

Ohhhh more weirdness. What happens if in the second visit one stays 180 days (legally) then makes a visa run to Buenos Aires? The rule below says nothing about this.

E. Brazilian tourist visas are valid for multiple entries within the period of time shown on the visa stamp. Unless specified otherwise, Brazilian tourist visas allow for stays in Brazil totaling up to 90 days in the one-year period following the date of the first entry. A one-time extension of up to 90 days may be granted in Brazil by the Brazilian Federal Police Department (Delegacia de Estrangeiros) If granted, the extension allows for stays summing up to 180 days (combining the first 90-day period and the 90-day extension) within the one-year period following the date of the first entry.You can only stay 180 days (90+90) if you have been out of the country the previous 185 days and you must stay out of the country for the next 185 days after your 180 days staying there. It is 180 in 185 out if the in is continuous. Otherwise on the extension you get 90 minus the days you were there within the year. In other words they will give what is left up to 180.

El Greco

Alan23
06-19-08, 21:29
I have been informed by the Brazilian consulate that intransit times of 4 hours or less do not require a visa - good news for all those who want to avoid the Brazilian visa process.

Had a interesting experience the other day, while flying into Sao Paulo to transit to Aerolineas Argentinas flight to BsAs. Prior to boarding my flight in the Middle East, the airline rep closely checked for my visa, which I have. They were aware that I had an onwards connection, so I questioned the deep scrutiny of my visa. I was informed if you have an onwards flight on one of the following airlines, you must had a full-blown visitor's visa:

-G3 Gol Airlines.

-RG Varig Airlines (what ever is left of them after their bankruptcy)

-AR Aerolineas Argentinas.

-7R BRA Transporte Aeros.

I was on Aerolineas Argentinas (who I would highly recommend you avoid due to very poor service and habitual lateness) so thank god I have a visitor visa.

I'm providing this information, as my outbound airline did not check this requirement until at the boarding gate - a really bad time to be told you might not be going to Brazil / Argentina!

Jackson
11-24-08, 18:56
In the past, I have heard several horror stories where people were given 2 week visas when they applied for 5 years! Current status?There is no place on the Brazilian Visa application form for the applicant to request or indicate what length of Visa that they'd like to receive.

If you're applying for a Brazilian Visa here in Buenos Aires, then your going to be given a visa that is just a few days longer than the length of your stated visit.

Be prepared to deal with other stupidities when applying for the Visa.

Cocksuckers!

Thanks,

Jackson

Facundo
11-24-08, 19:11
In the past, I have heard several horror stories where people were given 2 week visas when they applied for 5 years! Current status?Sidney, an American friend a month ago tried for a visa and he left the Brazilian Consulado frustrated. He was stunned at how much information they wanted; bank statements of the last sixty days, copy of credit card, airline ticket showing departure and return, and a few other items that I can't recall. To me the information requested seems a little over the top, but in fairness to the consulado, my friend is not very patient.

Here is the information they ask of the visa applicant and the formulario you need to fill out:

http://www.conbrasil.org.ar/CONSBRASIL/visas_otros01.asp#2

Suerte

Tessan
11-24-08, 20:33
There is no place on the Brazilian Visa application form for the applicant to request or indicate what length of Visa that they'd like to receive.

If you're applying for a Brazilian Visa here in Buenos Aires, then your going to be given a visa that is just a few days longer than the length of your stated visit.

Be prepared to deal with other stupidities when applying for the Visa.

Cocksuckers!

Thanks,

JacksonDam, I guess if I plan to visit Brazil again, I'll get my visa in New York. My five year visa expired last February. Me and a friend where going to Rio, and all I did was give him my passport. He called me, ask me a few questions, and a few days later I had a 5 year visa. Don't think I had to show any bank info or anything. They give me a 5 year visa automatically. Our trip was for only 10 days.

I had though that if I wanted to go into Brazil from BA, it would be just as easy to get a visa there, guess it's not.

I did have to pay a fee to get the 5 year visa, it was less the 100 dollar then, think it's 100 now.

Gato Hunter
11-25-08, 01:10
If you have business to do in Brazil a visa is not a problem. A co-worker of mine recently went through this. He sent it off and got it back in under a week. The company paid a rush fee though.

I think most of it is just reciprocity, we (the US) do it to them getting a US vise, turn about is fair.

I still think Australia is the worst for a visa.

Alan23
11-25-08, 10:27
I guess that I will have to continue my long standing policy = Fuk Brazil!Sid,

No, you have it all wrong! Your policy should to continue to Fuk Brasileras!

As you can read from Jackson's and my earlier posts - this is all a "government thing", not a people thing. The Brazilian government is just about as fucked up as the US State Department.

Find a way around the problem - get a five year visa and enjoy! Then you only have to worry again in 4.5 years. The Real at 2.3, helps ease some of this pain!

El Perro
11-25-08, 11:02
Sid,

No, you have it all wrong! Your policy should to continue to Fuk Brasileras!

As you can read from Jackson's and my earlier posts - this is all a "government thing", not a people thing. The Brazilian government is just about as fucked up as the US State Department.

Find a way around the problem - get a five year visa and enjoy! Then you only have to worry again in 4.5 years. The Real at 2.3, helps ease some of this pain!A european monger I know, who loves Brazil, just dispensed altogether with the visa mess, and arranged residency. Not too difficult according to him. He apparently never had problems at the beginning of the visa process, but at times ran into length of stay issues, depending on which part of Brazil he was in. More problems according to him, outside of Rio, when dealing with Brazilian "redneck" immigration officials.

Facundo
11-25-08, 11:42
A european monger I know, who loves Brazil, just dispensed altogether with the visa mess, and arranged residency. Not too difficult according to him. He apparently never had problems at the beginning of the visa process, but at times ran into length of stay issues, depending on which part of Brazil he was in. More problems according to him, outside of Rio, when dealing with Brazilian "redneck" immigration officials.Doggboy,

I just want to clarify what you already kind of said. European Union citizens, of which I am one, do not need to apply for visas, they are given one when they enter Brazil. However, as you've stated, we do run into problems if we stay longer than 6 months per year. Brazilian residency is easy to acquier, but you pay a steep tax on the requiered US$2000 (I'm not sure if this is the correct amount anymore) one is required to deposit monthly in a Brazilian bank.

Stan Da Man
04-14-09, 03:14
Gents,

If anyone has some quick tips on how to handle the following, I'd appreciate it:

I'll be leaving for BA this coming Sunday, and returning the following Sunday (26th April) Today, a client called and asked that I go to Sao Paulo for a week, commencing the 26th. My first reaction: Well, that would be convenient since I'll already be near there.

Then, reality set in. I've been to Sao Paulo a few times, but not for the past five years. I am aware that Brazil generally has some onerous visa limitations, and I've got just four days left in the States to get this arranged.

The last time going to Sao Paulo, I used a business expediter to handle everything. Is there any chance that it will be easier to secure some sort of business travel visa whilst in BA? Or, am I better off trying to ensure that this happens (or canceling) while in the States? I would think the latter but thought someone with local knowledge might know better. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Rock Harders
04-14-09, 03:29
Hi Stan,

Although the Brasilian Consulate in Buenos Aires takes up to 4 days to process your visa application, I know from a recent personal experience that the Brasilian Consulate in Puerto Iguazu, Argentina will process a visa in about 3-4 HOURS. You could book a flight to Puerto Iguazu in the morning, get the visa, and then book a flight from Foz do Iguacu to Sao Paolo in the afternoon or evening and pull it off.

Suerte,

Rock Harders

Schmoj
04-14-09, 11:02
I got a Brazilian visa at the consulate in Iguazu last year and Rock is 100% correct.

If you arrive early, you will be in Brazil by noon. Also, other than paying the fee and showing your passport, you do not have to present anything else.

The drawback is that the visa you get is only valid for 30 days, though this is probably sufficient if you need a last minute way of getting a visa.

Good luck

Stan Da Man
04-14-09, 14:58
Thanks very much, Rock and Schmoj. Any idea whether this works for both business and tourist visas, or does the purpose of the visit matter when coming from Argentina? When coming from the USA, there is a big difference. For a business visa, they want an arm, leg and your left testicle. For tourist visas, you get to keep the testicle. Do they make any distinctions if you're coming from Argentina?

I appreciate your help, especially since this may prove to be the only option at this late date. Thanks,

Member #3320
04-15-09, 03:13
I got a Brazilian visa at the consulate in Iguazu last year and Rock is 100% correct.

If you arrive early, you will be in Brazil by noon. Also, other than paying the fee and showing your passport, you do not have to present anything else.

The drawback is that the visa you get is only valid for 30 days, though this is probably sufficient if you need a last minute way of getting a visa.

Good luckHi,

Do they also give the visa if you are not a permanent Argentine resident (without DNI & CUIL?

Thanks

Schmoj
04-15-09, 12:11
Hi,

Do they also give the visa if you are not a permanent Argentine resident (without DNI & CUIL?

ThanksActually, having a DNI didn't help at all. I still had to pay the fee (which for US passports is over 100 US) You should have no problem at all.

Here are the fees according the Brazilian consulate in SF:

http://www.brazilsf.org/visa_fee_eng.htm

Facundo
04-16-09, 11:55
Actually, having a DNI didn't help at all. I still had to pay the fee (which for US passports is over 100 US) You should have no problem at all.

Here are the fees according the Brazilian consulate in SF:

http://www.brazilsf.org/visa_fee_eng.htmSchmoj,

I'm not sure when you got your visa to travel to Brazil, but at the end of last year all Mercosur and associated countries adopted less restrictive travel regulations between their respective countries. Brazil now accepts the DNI (permanent or temporary) to travel in and out of Brazil. Although I have a European and an American passport, I used my Argentine DNI, just to test the system, to travel to Brazil (before going I did speak with one of the visa representatives at the Brazilian consulate and she stated that regular (permanent or non-permanent) residents can now use their DNI to travel to Brazil.

This is the document in Spanish Mercosur and Associated countries adopted the end of last year. BTW, if the person checking your document feels there is something wrong with your DNI they can ask to see your passport:

http://www.embajada-argentina.org.py/V2/2008/12/implementacion-del-acuerdo-sobre-documentos-de-viaje-de-los-estados-partes-del-mercosur-y-estados-asociados

Rock Harders
04-16-09, 12:36
Mongers,

I just read that link Facundo posted very carefully, and it clearly states that foreigners still need a visa and passport to visit Brasil if a visa is required of their nationality. Nothing has changed in this regard. For example, US citizens can Uruguay with a DNI, but no other neighboring countries.

Suerte,

Rock Harders

Schmoj
04-16-09, 13:37
Mongers-

I just read that link Facundo posted very carefully, and it clearly states that foreigners still need a visa and passport to visit Brasil if a visa is required of their nationality. Nothing has changed in this regard. For example, US citizens can Uruguay with a DNI, but no other neighboring countries.

Suerte,

Rock HardersRock is 100% correct. Same with Paraguay and Chile. The DNI does not eliminate the need for a visa if you are from a country that requires one.

Just curious Facundo, without asking you to divulge private information, what nationality is listed on the first page of your DNI?

I'm actually going to get a Paraguayan visa next week. Anyone had any problems, or is it pretty straightforward?

Facundo
04-16-09, 15:01
Rock is 100% correct. Same with Paraguay and Chile. The DNI does not eliminate the need for a visa if you are from a country that requires one.

Just curious Facundo, without asking you to divulge private information, what nationality is listed on the first page of your DNI?

I'm actually going to get a Paraguayan visa next week. Anyone had any problems, or is it pretty straightforward?European.

The Brazilian consulade made it very clear that now Americans or others who have the Argentine DNI can travel to Brazil without a visa. Reading again what I posted earlier, a problem could occur if they should ask to see your passport. An American who has the DNI was also told he didn't need a visa to travel to Brazil. Maybe, the woman who handles the visas at the Brazilian Consulate is misinformed.

Member #3320
04-16-09, 19:14
With due respect to everyone, in my knowledge, you need a visa to any country if the passport you hold requires a visa for this country. A DNI does NOT eliminate the need of the Visa. However what the DNI does allow, is for you to travel without your passport as long the passport you hold doesn't need a visa. The DNI simply acts as an identification of the nationality of your passport.

Sportsman
04-16-09, 20:41
I'm actually going to get a Paraguayan visa next week. Anyone had any problems, or is it pretty straightforward?I got my Paraguayan visa last July at the consulate on Viamonte. Filled out the form, one passport size photo, 65 USD processing fee, dropped them off in the morning, picked them up the next busniess day. In and out within 10 minutes.

Check out this thread:

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4252

Master J
09-02-09, 14:55
I have a cousin who just left San Paolo and is going to return on a tourist visa. His quesion is will he need to show a round trip ticket? Any help appreciated.

Giovanni B
09-02-09, 17:29
I have a cousin who just left San Paolo and is going to return on a tourist visa. His quesion is will he need to show a round trip ticket? Any help appreciated.Been over a year since I went through the process but they wanted a number of things when I went to get my VISA. I was traveling from BA to Rio and back for a 2 week vacation.

1. Hotel reservation in Brazil (Address and telephone number, length of stay)

2. Proof of round trip passage. Print out was enough)

3. Credit Card number (Don't know why)

4. Current bank statement (print out was enough)

5. Passport (had to give them my passport for 5 days)

6. Photo (I forget the size)

I had to complete a form electronically while I was there. When it was time to pick up the VISA, I had to pay like $150.00 to ITAU and show them the receipt.

Hope that this helps you so you don't have to make 4 trip to the consulate like I did.

Rock Harders
10-19-10, 13:33
Mongers-

I just got back from the Brasilian Consulate in Buenos Aires exactly one day after applying for a new tourist visa (I got a five year visa at the same consulate back in January 2005. The good news is that the turnaround time was only one day and it is now a 10 year visa for US passport holders. The process has now changed a bit; a prospective applicant must now make an appointment on the Consulate's website (previously you could just show up) and also must fill in and submit the visa application electronically on the website before arriving for the visa appointment. The cost is about $600 AR (which you deposit at a branch of Banco Itau on Avenida Santa Fe, then the deposit receipt the next day to pick up the passport / visa. In addition, nowhere on the new visa does it state that the visa must be used for the first time within 90 days of being issued.

Suerte,

Rock Harders

Member #3320
09-14-11, 15:30
Does anyone know how fast one can get a Brazil visa?

Doe one need a DNI to apply for a Brazil visa in Argentina?

Thanks,

Sportsman
09-15-11, 02:44
Does anyone know how fast one can get a Brazil visa?

Doe one need a DNI to apply for a Brazil visa in Argentina?

Thanks, It would be logical that DNI is not required to apply for a Brazilian Visa in Argentina since most (if not all) people with DNI do not require tourist visa for Brazil. Scroll down to the bottom of this page from the Brazilian Consulate in BsAs website (http://www.conbrasil.org.ar/CONSBRASIL/visas_otros01engl.asp) for required document.

Member #3320
09-15-11, 05:43
It would be logical that DNI is not required to apply for a Brazilian Visa in Argentina since most (if not all) people with DNI do not require tourist visa for Brazil. Scroll down to the bottom of this page From the.

Brazilian Consulate in BsAs website (http://www.conbrasil.org.ar/CONSBRASIL/visas_otros01engl.asp)

For required document.Thanks Sportsman,

Any idea, how many days it takes these days to get the visa. Lets say I submit my passport on Monday, so when can it be expected back?

Thanks

Silver Star
09-15-11, 10:46
Thanks Sportsman,

Any idea, how many days it takes these days to get the visa. Lets say I submit my passport on Monday, so when can it be expected back?

ThanksYou do not need an Argentine DNI to get a Brazilian VISA. 1st step is make an appointment on the website. Then bring your passport to the consulate, they will give you a ticket to pay the bank a couple of blocks away, then come back typically in the next few days to get your passport back with Visa, which is good for 10 years.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Premium Airport Transfers in Buenos Aires