PDA

View Full Version : English Books / Novels in BA book shops

Ricardog
11-01-06, 20:49
I've seen a few big book stores along Florida but have not been in any yet and having just finished the only book I brought with me this trip was wondering if any of thease places stocked books in English. Looking for popular fiction, si-fi, fantasy, humour etc. Thanks.

El Perro
11-01-06, 20:55
I've seen a few big book stores along Florida but have not been in any yet and having just finished the only book I brought with me this trip was wondering if any of thease places stocked books in English. Looking for popular fiction, si-fi, fantasy, humour etc. Thanks.Try Walrus Books, Estados Unidos 617 in San Telmo, near calle Peru'. Pretty good selection and helpful folks.

Hound
11-01-06, 22:32
And next door at Bar Gibralter the Dogg can oft-times be found looking for some 'green felt' action. Careful Ricardo, word is he'll hustle you right out of your socks! <grin>

There's a smallish shop on Maipu- i think between Cordoba and Sarmiento-that has a small selection. Still another can be found on M.T. de Alvear between, i think, Talcahuano and Libertad or in that area.

El Perro
11-01-06, 22:47
And next door at Bar Gibralter the Dogg can oft-times be found looking for some 'green felt' action. Careful Ricardo, word is he'll hustle you right out of your socks! <grin>All lies, but I'll buy you a beer, and we can run a rack or two if you are so inclined.:D Actually, being that close, you might want to check out Gibralter. It doesn't open til 6.

[Damn you Hound, I was trying to make some quick cash before I blew town]

AllIWantIsLove
11-02-06, 02:57
In past years I have left English language paperbacks with Capt. Dave and Roxanne. Last year I posted a note here asking if anyone would be interested in swapping books. I didn't get any takers.

Paperbacks are light but bulky. It's difficult to take very many. And they are expensive to buy there. It would be great if we could have a bookshelf for swapping somewhere. You leave a paperback book in good shape and you can take one. I wonder if the Alamo might do that? It would draw some traffic. I wonder though if it would work on the honor system? I have some doubts. But I'd like to see it tried. I've seen it work at some hotels.

Bob

Capt Dave
11-02-06, 13:05
Thanks to guys like you, we have a pretty good collection here available for swaps.

Come by for a pool party or just to visit, and bring your stash!

David

Hound
11-02-06, 15:35
A library and book swap is offered at this link. Lots of other stuff too.

http://saexplorers.org/clubhouses/buenosaires/services.html

Jaimito Cartero
03-31-08, 02:01
I've got another few weeks in town, and have already gone through all my books. Does anyone have any good option for cheap or free books in English?

Orang05
03-31-08, 21:57
On Saturdays and Sundays there is a street market just N of Plaza D'Italia, in the median of Santa Fe as it swings north on through Palermo towards Belgrano. In the stands along that strip there are a number of book stalls selling a respectable selection of Spanish language volumes, and 2 or 3 sellers who have an array of Emglish-language novels, short story anthologies, and "scholarly" works on Latin American history, social studies, etc. Prices are reasonable. The proprietors also buy such volumes.

AllIWantIsLove
04-01-08, 02:30
Do a search for "Walrus" for one option.

Bob.

I've got another few weeks in town, and have already gone through all my books. Does anyone have any good option for cheap or free books in English?

Jaimito Cartero
04-01-08, 07:22
Do a search for "Walrus" for one option.All I come up with are Beatles songs.

I am the walrus, coo-coo-katcho!

;)

AllIWantIsLove
04-02-08, 03:08
Just in case you are serious I meant search ArgentinaPrivate for "Walrus".

All I come up with are Beatles songs.

I am the walrus, coo-coo-katcho!

;)

Jaimito Cartero
04-02-08, 06:53
Just in case you are serious I meant search ArgentinaPrivate for "Walrus".Winking smiley-face denotes some levity on the part of Jaimito.:)

ComeOnDown
07-21-08, 14:34
For those who don't know it yet, there is a well stocked (by Argentine standards) english bookstore in Buenos Aires called Kel Ediciones. They have several branches scattered all over the capital. The most accessible to most of us is the branch in the downtown area - Marcelo T. De Alvear 1369 (be careful as I have a friend who went to Avenida Alvear which is entirely different) There is another one in the Belgrano Area (Conde 1990) close to the Matias Irish Pub. The Belgrano branch is right beside three coffee shops who never run out of beautiful and nice smelling patrons.

http://www.kelediciones.com/