PDA

View Full Version : Sucre

Capt Dave
11-08-06, 14:18
Went to this trendy, upscale restaurant, just around the corner from Estilo Nuevo on Sucre and Figgeroa Alcorte)

I had never been there, but has been recommended by several that I trust, so we made a reservation for 10:00 and showed up right at 10.

We were asked to wait at the bar, eventually offered a glass of "champagne" and sat there waiting for 45 minutes, punctuated by occasional acknowledgments that our table was "casi listo"

After 45 minutes I corraled the (attractive) hostess, and said (somewhat irritated) what's up.

She apologized and went off to see, came back assuring us our table would be ready in 15-20 minutes. This was a Tuesday night, with a reservation.

I said forget it, and we left. We wound up eating at a parilla around the corner that was empty, a little pricey, but just fine.

Thomaso276
11-08-06, 20:16
Dave: I stopped going to these trendy restaurants some time ago. When a reservation is not honored it always bothered me to have to wait to spend my money. Having been in the business, I absolutely refuse to wait in line at any restaurant for an extended time, knowing that many people will sit for hours with their coffee and desert.

El Aleman
11-09-06, 08:35
This just means they are too greedy and want to sell the table several times that night, and you are stuck because the folks they sold it to before you just take their time (which of course those people have every right to!)

That might be ok in a neighborhoood parilla, but it's unacceptable in a "real good" restaurant. I would not wait for a table I have a reservation on - except a few minutes, when I already see that the waiters are setting up my table. And waiting champagne in a good place is on the house.

A different story of course if I just pop in without a reservation. It's still an opportunity to experience how long 10 minutes can be.

El Alemán

Hunt99
11-09-06, 14:12
I ate at Sucre a couple years ago and liked it very much. Sorry to see that Dave had a problem with getting seated, that sucks of course. But I wonder if the restaurant is still good besides this miscue? Customer service is not an Argentino strength, good cooking is.

And an important point, which didn't help Dave at all this time, is that if you want to go to a good restaurant in Buenos Aires, you should ALWAYS make reservations.

Moore
11-10-06, 00:50
If you are a known customer you don't need reservations in BsAs. There can be a 90 minute wait but they will find space for you in 5.

Sometimes they actually create a table for you Goodfellas style.

Lueck Hoff
11-10-06, 10:15
On my last visit in November 2004 I went to Sucre several times.

Best food I ever had in BA. Although the service was not on the same level.

I would recommend to go there early in the evening with a reservation to avoid the problems Captain Dave had. The place is busy every day.

In my opinion the best thing is that this is not a tourist place. Mostly upper class argentinian people there. It is a great show to watch them coming into this place with all the top notch chicas at their side.

The only problem I remember is that it was always difficult to catch a taxi from there.

I will definetely repeat Sucre on my next visit in March 2007.

Lueck Hoff