PDA

View Full Version : Absinthe?

StrayLight
11-15-06, 19:50
Anyone know if they sell absinthe here (and if so, where)

It's legal in Europe now (although not in the States, apparently) and I thought maybe that libertine sensibility might have filtered over here to Buenos Aires.

Thanks,

SL

WorldTravel69
11-16-06, 10:01
They sell it in the states, but it is missing the Wormwood.

And is spelled different. Like Absenthe. It is about US$38 a bottle.

Yes, I tryed it in Prague and I did not feel like cutting off my ear or the most important parts.

I would like to know if they have it here in be. A. Also.

Anyone know if they sell absinthe here (and if so, where)

It's legal in Europe now (although not in the States, apparently) and I thought maybe that libertine sensibility might have filtered over here to Buenos Aires.

Thanks,

SL

Hunt99
11-16-06, 13:16
I've got two bottles of the genuine article gathering dust in my liquor cabinet. You fellows are welcome to it, this is perhaps the most foul-tasting liquor I have ever had, carmelized sugar or not.

StrayLight
11-17-06, 14:00
I've got two bottles of the genuine article gathering dust in my liquor cabinet. You fellows are welcome to it, this is perhaps the most foul-tasting liquor I have ever had, carmelized sugar or not.Hunt,

I agree...mediocre or below absinthe is pretty foul.

I recently had the opportunity to have some absinthe on two consecutive evenings. On the first evening, we had some "1792" brand absinthe, which I am told is among the best there is. I was great, and the effects were great, too.

On the second evening, we had some cheap stuff -- real absinthe, but cheap -- that looked like green mouthwash. And it was very, very foul.

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know what the brand (s) is / are of the two bottles you have? I'll be happy to buy it from you if it's within the realm of what is generally considered good absinthe.

Thanks,

SL

Bacchus9
01-04-07, 14:40
PorteZuelo on Vicente Lopez, just a dazed stroll from Madahos has a selection of about 6 brands of Absinthe on the bar, one from Spain. 40 pesos the pop. Vale la pena.

StrayLight
01-10-07, 13:07
PorteZuelo on Vicente Lopez, just a dazed stroll from Madahos has a selection of about 6 brands of Absinthe on the bar, one from Spain. 40 pesos the pop. Vale la pena.Thanks, Bacchus. If they sell it in a bar, then chances are I can find a liquor store somewhere that has it, too.

SL

WorldTravel69
05-02-09, 04:28
Against the law since 1912 in the U.S.

They have put the Wormwood back in it. They call it Absente

It is legal now, at BevMo! in the U.S.

US$10. 138 proof. Small bottle.

Don't Cut your ear Off like Vincent or your ??

Thanks, Bacchus. If they sell it in a bar, then chances are I can find a liquor store somewhere that has it, too.

SL

StrayLight
05-03-09, 03:00
Against the law since 1912 in the U. S.

They have put the Wormwood back in it. They call it Absente.

It is legal now, at BevMo! In the U. S.

US$10. 138 proof. Small bottle.

Don't Cut your ear Off like Vincent or your?I actually found a Czech distributor (or maker) that sells a pretty awesome brand. Sends it to the U. S. As "bohemian crystal." I had a few of bottles sent to my sister in Philadelphia, and brought them back to BA a while back. Un-freaking-believable! I save it for very, very special occasions, and I'm always glad when they roll around.

In short order I'll be bringing some more down.

SL