PDA

View Full Version : Security Deposits on rental apts?

Du Mehard
11-19-06, 02:03
Using this service and they want full mos rent in CASH Deposit for 32 day stay. Never done a cash transaction in BA for services like this. Should I be wary? Seems like they can easily screw you.

http://www.bytargentina.com/

Sportsman
11-19-06, 02:31
I have used BYTArgentina a few times. Credit card is used to secure the reservation. But rent and security deposit are always in cash. I did not really have any problem with them nor with any of the property owners.

Stowe
11-19-06, 03:02
A month's deposit for a month's stay seems excessive.

I have used BytArgentina a number of times without a problem but every apartment advertised that I have seen and / or used has asked for a deposit that is half the rent amount. So for 2 weeks I have to pay 1 week deposit and for a month pay 2 weeks deposit.

The rent and deposits are advertised pretty clearly, so if it is advertised that a deposit of a month for a months' stay is required personally I would move on and chose another apartment.

And yes, the deposit is always in cash but I have never had a problem getting the money back. Keep in mind that ByT is just a middle person, each apartment is still individually owned so I guess it all depends on the honesty of the owner.

Suerte.

Stowe

Sportsman
11-19-06, 03:15
I have scanned through some of their advertised properties. Security deposits seem to be pretty much standard. 1 week rent for daily and weekly rentals. 2 weeks rent for monthly rental. 1 month rent for rentals over one month. Since DuMehard's rental is for 32 days, may be they consider that to be over one month rental and therefore ask for 1 month rent for security deposit.

Jaimito Cartero
11-19-06, 04:33
I've never had a problem getting my security deposit back when renting with ByT.

Southern Bubba
01-14-07, 15:56
We used BuenosAiresHousing.com last April and had no problem with getting the security deposit returned on checkout. We will rent the same apartment for 4 weeks again next month using the same agency.

MCSE
01-15-07, 02:19
Damages deposit depends on the owner policy, not the agency. That's the reason why damages deposit may vary when renting apartments from the same agency. Same thing will happen with the furniture quality, response timing if you have a problem, etc.

Damages deposit are always asked by any owner.

When staying 30 days or less, you may provide damages deposit either cash, cc, or paypal when renting from BARTS. The really chica friendly apartments in BA.

Capt Dave
01-15-07, 02:45
Damages deposit are always asked by any owner.This is almost true, but not quite! The fact is "damage deposits" are the single, most convenient way for a landlord to rip off a client, which happens only too often. Usually the excuse is some variation of "Waiting for the phone bill", a difference of opinion over what constitutes normal wear and tear, or just a refusal on the part of the owner, with no real recourse for the renter.

Beware, and don't hesitate to object to unreasonable deposits, or deposits that are based on the term of your contract. Don't underestimate the importance of the tedious "inventory" process, as the owner will usually be only too happy to use an inaccurate inventory as an excuse to keep your money.

David

MCSE
01-15-07, 03:04
This is almost true, but not quite! Can you enlight us with the owners who don't ask for a damages deposit?

Even hotel chains (worldwide) will make you sign a voucher for eventual damages.

On the other hand, it's true that many owners in BA they make charges for damages, even when no damages. This is an hipocrital tendency due they accept discounts proposed from clients, then list apartments with very low rates, so they want to recover the losses.

Capt Dave
01-15-07, 22:44
Can you enlight us with the owners who don't ask for a damages deposit?I don't.

Jackson doesn't.

Roxana doesn't.

You do.

David

Courcheval
01-16-07, 00:21
I don't.TCA : Tested Confirmed and Approved (and for winemakers, main cork taste contributor).

MCSE
01-16-07, 14:32
I don't.You don't rent apartments.

Thread is Security Deposits on rental apts?

BadMan
01-16-07, 20:25
Capt Dave,

I am not sure about you or Roxanne, But I do know mostly all hotels I have been to ask for a credit card as a security deposit, if you tear the place up they will bill your card for it when you leave. As I recall, Jackson does the same thing, which in my opinion is 100 % fair and responsible. If you own a property and that property is worth a good deal of money and you aren't actually at that property to make sure your property isn't damaged, I. E personal private apartment as opposed to a room in a house, and you rent that apartment out to strangers, it is only natural that you would want some sort of a security deposit to assuage your fears of having your property damaged and having no recourse for getting paid for for them later.

I do understand some people in BA use this deposit to bilk people for extra cash, but that is something you will have to deal with, but deposits for good quality properties are, in my opinion, fair and justified, be they a full weeks rent in the form of cash, or a valid credit card to bill for any possible damages in the future.

Badboy

Capt Dave
01-17-07, 02:59
I did not say it was "unfair", I said it was untrue that everyone demands a deposit, and that that deposit is frequently unrealistic and often abused.

Furthermore, securing damage with a credit card is NOT the same as demanding a large amount of cash.

I feel safe in saying that a large number of renters in BsAs, including me, have had that deposit unreasonably retained, and a potential renter should take that into consideration when choosing a place to stay. Be sure to ask about it, as it is frequently NOT mentioned beforehand, and be prepared to not get it back.

The word "refund" does not seem to be in the Argentine vocabulary - once money is in someones hand it is frequently a real tooth-pull to get it back!

David

Joe Vato
01-17-07, 03:28
Hey,

First time on this forum which I wish I knew about before my visit to BA over a year ago. I rented an apartment in the Recoleta area for $650.00 US and made a deposit of $130.00 US. No problem in having the deposit returned but the inventory check is a long and time consuming process. I would rent from them again. Only problem I experienced was the heater giving out on a cold morning and they could not send a repair man until late the next morning. The apartment was one block from Newports. A great deal for a one bedroom. Will probably rent from them again on my next visit this summer.