PDA

View Full Version : Beware! Counterfeit bills given at the airport in Ezeiza!

Chascomus
11-20-06, 15:04
Two friends of mine, arriving on totally different days were handed fake $100 peso bills at the airport. BE CAREFUL as they are taking advantage of foreigners having just arrived.

Thomaso276
11-20-06, 18:22
Your friend should go to the tourist police building on Corrientes or Cordoba near Reconquista, file a complaint and see if they will pursue it. Or maybe the papers and see if they can get the same results.

Bangkok Dave
11-20-06, 19:57
Handed fake $100 notes by whom? The bank? The cambios?

Dave

Chascomus
11-25-06, 19:10
It was an exchange house in the airport, near where you come out in Ezeiza. Not a bank. But just imagine what a "good business" it is. An American arrives, has no idea what the bills should look like. Get a couple hundred pesos. How will he know? It was a $100 peso bill. And to be honest, there is nothing he could do about it. To go and report it would surely be a joke. Or a nightmare of red tape and waiting in lines, only to be greeted by some police secretary that really doesn't give a dam.

Hunt99
11-25-06, 19:15
It was an exchange house in the airport, near where you come out in Ezeiza. Not a bank. But just imagine what a "good business" it is. An American arrives, has no idea what the bills should look like. Get a couple hudred pesos. How will he know? It was a $100 peso bill. And to be honest, there is nothing he could do about it. To go and report it would surely be a joke. Or a nightmare of red tape and waiting in lines, only to be greeted by some police secretary that really doesn't give a dam.Thanks for the warning. I always exchange my dollars for pesos at the Banco de la Nacion Argentina branch, which is conveniently located inside customs at the airport. I think your chances of getting a fake bill are much less at a bank than at a cambio. The exchange rate at the bank is always as good or better than in the airport cambio booths, as well.

Jaimito Cartero
11-25-06, 22:33
Hunt is right about this. I always change at the bank, and never have any problems. I wish they were paying more than the current 3.06, but I've never had any probems with their currency.

Many of the cambios in the airport are giving lousy rates, or pull little tricks like this. I stick to ATMs and the airport bank when possible.

BlueSky69
11-28-06, 23:05
I was just there and always use the ATM machine with no problem. I was getting rate in the 3.06 to 3.07 range.

I went to a store to buy some souvenir and I hand them a 100 peso bill. The Lady was checking if it was a fake bill or not. She said there are some and she show me how to check it. She told me to look at the number 100 in green color, and move a little bit, the green color should change from light to dark or dark to light. The fake 100 does not change, it stay at light green color.

Walnuts
12-09-06, 01:45
All the paper money has a "face" watermark. You will often see people hold a bill up to the light when they are checking it.

You will see an image of the same big shot's face as is shown on the printed section. Look at the side with the guy's face, and then hold the bill up to the light. On the blank white section to the left, you will see the same face. So, each bill denomination has a different watermark that corresponds to the printed face.

Also, 50 and 100 peso notes (and possibly others) have a security strip.

As previously discussed, the colored number changes colors at different angles. This is tougher to check.

I have shown some people the watermark "face" before I hand them the bill. I say "Hay cara" and show them the bill in the light, so they can see the face. Also, it is good to say the denomination "veinte pesos, verdad?" Then, they can't (so far) dispute it later. Also, when I get my change, I will hold the money up and check for the face. Since I have shown them that I know how to check the money, I think they are less likely to pass fake money to me.

If I were to go into dark and sleazy bars, I would probably take a small LED light (one of those keychain lights for viewing the keyhole) and show the sleazy bartender or waitress that the face is on the bill and also verbally tell them the denomination of the bill, such as "Hay cara, y veinte pesos, verdad?". This way, I show them that I know something more than the average tourist. When they return the change, I would say "un momento" and check the bills for the face before they leave. You can also check for the face in a black light.

You may think you will look like an ass for checking the bills. Everyone in Argentina knows there are a lot of fake bills. So, if you check the bills, you are looking normal!