PDA

View Full Version : Internet Question?

Judd
11-24-06, 20:55
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to get online at the apartment, but having difficulties. There's a router which is hooked to the outlet on the wall via a phone plug. The router than goes into my computer thru a usb plug. The computer says I have limited or no connectivity. It looks as though I'm sending packets but not receiving. I think the problem is my computer is defaulting to my ip address in the states. I was told to go into dos and run ipconfig / release, then ipconfig / renew. This didn't work. I also tried to reboot my computer with the router plugged in, but it didn't work. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Judd

Monger514
11-24-06, 21:02
Yeah, look at your IP properties and make sure it's set to grab an IP address automatically (in techspeak, it should be acquiring an address from a DHCP server, which role the router should perform) You shouldn't have some IP address entered in there for your machine or for a gateway.

Last Don
11-24-06, 21:15
I had the same problem when I got here. It may be your router that's the problem. Try turning it off then back on. If that doesn't work, get the cable company to reset the connection from their end. That solved it for me.

Exon123
11-24-06, 21:23
Or you could call this guy whom Jackson swears by.

Computer Repair.

Gaston Computacion.

Av Sante Fe 2450 #36

4821-3058 / 15-4991-3058

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exon

Easy Go
11-25-06, 06:12
If the router is hooked to the wall with a phone plug, you've got DSL rather than cable. Are you sure it is a router and not just a DSL modem? The only computer I've used in BA that was hooked to DSL, required running a logon utility program with an ID and password from the DSL provider.

Judd
11-25-06, 11:26
Your right Headgames. I think this is what El Flaco did last time I was in town. I'll give it a shot, and call Gaston if I don't have any luck.

Thanks Again,

Judd

Judd
11-27-06, 22:09
I'm absolutely fucked if I can't use my computer. The dude was at apartment from Gaston trying to connect my computer with no avail. It's so frustrating cuz I know it's something so simple. Unfortunately, I, nor the supposed computer expert knows what setting to tweak. I even had the owner of the apt here, but he wasn't any help.

If there's anyone who has any computer expertise, I would greatly appreciate a call. Last time, El Flaco had me online in 5 minutes. If there's anyone out there who can let me use their internet connection, that would be a great help as well. I need something that has an ethernet connection without the need to enter a password. A connection that's live, I think is all I need. I just tried to pull the plug out of the internet cafe and this didn't work either.

I don't understand why this is so fucking difficult cuz I hooked right up at El Flaco's apt. He just helped when I was in the adjacent apt and needed to be hooked up via a wireless card.

I can be reached at 15-5490-1282

Thanks,

Judd

Moore
11-28-06, 01:04
Judd,

Connecting a US computer can a real pain in the ass especially if it's been configured by a US corp. I remember it took me several days one time to get mine online, which included about 20 hours of software installations. I paid some guy 300 pesos and the system had to be "wiped" meaning the entire hard drive was deleted and Windows reinstalled.

Forget about it and just go to the internet cafes. If you need pics / numbers of ho's just save them to a disk and bring it to your home computer for later use.