PDA

View Full Version : Crime Scene / Reports

Alan23
11-26-06, 13:42
I Was Robbed Last Night:

Time: 21:04

Type: Pick-pocketed - in front left trouser pocket while walking.

Why was I targeted: I had both hands occupied - with a shopping bag in each hand.

What was I doing in the Constitucion Collectivo station in the first place? I was traveling from Barrio Norte to San Telmo, which I normally do by a single bus trip. Last night Sante Fe street was at a standstill with traffic - so thought I would be a wise-guy and take Subte to Constitucion, then connecting with the bus that I would normally take from Barrio Norte.

What occured is still unbelievable for me with regards to how proficient and how brazen these people can be! I never carry my wallet nor wear my watch, my cellphone is in back pocket with button closed. I had folded bills (notes-145 pesos) in the front left pocket-never removed for public viewing or bulging. In a very low light situation, he / they were able to approach me from behind - jabbing their left hand into my left pocket and removing the notes (think the physics of this says it had to be their left hand - never touching my back or other part of body) Before I could react, the thief was running into the park. Strangely, another man appeared almost instantaneously to my left asking what happened - have a feeling he may have been involved. Within one minute I was on my bus and driving away. I would suspect that he / they had cased me as I walked through the Train / Subte station - where the lighting was better, as there is no way they could have make any determination about my pocket contents in the darkness of the bus lines.

PLEASE LEARN FROM MY EXPERIENCE: I was the guy who floated around Barrio Norte being cautious, however didn't hesitate to stop at the ATM for a refill and then walk the rest of the day. Not wearing my watch or carrying wallet seemed enough for me. Ironically, when in a less desirable area I normally put cellphone in front pocket - also, I recall the "on the beat" cop located at Santa Fe why Junin telling me a year ago to remove watch and place in front pocket. This would not have been a good solution last night. Please do yourself a favor a not be cavalier about the security situation here - it doesn't always happen to the other guy. We are dealing with people that are on a different wave-length, imagine taking the chance of getting the crap beat out of them or even being killed for 145 peso or possibly NOTHING - they didn't know I had money in that pocket! IT CAN Happen to you.

Alan

Thomaso276
11-26-06, 14:35
That is a lousy area, but pickpockets can hit anywhere. Thankfully you were not hurt and even though you took every precaution these things can happen.

The second guy was responsible to keep you from chasing after the thief for a few seconds. It would have been fruitless and dangerous to go after him.

As with Rolex thieves, it is the surprise and speed that succeeds. They practice their approaches, grabs or rips and escapes. If they don't have transportation, like a motorcycle standing by, you can bet the principal thief runs the 100 in 11 seconds, knowing the victims can't keep up. I sure couldn't.

Thanks for the important info.

El Perro
11-26-06, 14:59
Alan,

Good to know you weren't hurt. I guess the "I'm ok because my cash / valuables are in my front pocket" does not hold.

Suerte

Aqualung
11-26-06, 17:21
It is still better to carry your money in your front pants pocket. But better doesn't mean completely safe! Crooks can follow you for blocks without you seeing them. They may have seen you pull out your money blocks away. They also notice the tell-tale shape of a roll of bills in a pocket or the way one touches the pocket to check if the money is still there.

They always work in groups. The one that robs you and runs has passed the wallet or whatever to another (usually well dressed or a woman) almost instantly. A third initially tries to help you but his job is stalling you. If anybody chases the sprinter and catches him he has nothing on him (having passed on the wallet) and will say that he was running to catch the train or a bus or something and as he has no evidence on him no one can do or prove anything.

This happens about four times on any given block in Constitucion during rush hour and about twice at other times. The same would happen about once and hour during rush time downtown and almost nil at other times.

Usually these crooks don't carry any kind of weapon. The idea is that if they are stopped by the cops they have nothing on them that can even mean a night at the police station. But a sucker punch can hurt and I've seen very big guys with a broken nose and the perp miles away.

The really dangerous places are buses where, as I mentioned in another post, crooks (between two and four) will get on the bus, pull out a gun, and rob everyone. Imagine the IQ or emotional state of a fucker that sticks up a bus for a booty that probably won't add up to a hundred pesos. Most of the Buenos Aires and Federal Police force travells to and from work by bus meaning that very often the shootouts are worthy of a Spaggeti Western.

Taxis used to be very risky but police controls have dimished the risk (not eliminated) Usually you get picked up by one cab and through some trick or other get passed on to another cab (break down or something like that)

Once in the other cab, and at a traffic light, two other guys jump in on each side of you and pull out a gun. They'll rob you of your money and then drive around to ATM machines using your card tu pull out money. One will get out with the card while the others stay in with you in the cab, If the pin number you gave was incorrect expect a sever pistol whipping.

At all times keep your windows up in a cab and the door locks closed. Pay attention to what is happening around you and if you see a cab stalling as he comes up to a green traffic light so as to give it time to turn red. GET OUT.

No BA cab driver will miss a green light!

The idea is to be alert at all times and keep everyone at arms lenght. Better be rude than sorry.

Hunt99
11-27-06, 14:21
Thanks for the warning Alan, and to the other posters.

But visitors: don't hyperventilate. BsAs isn't the Wild Wild West. It isn't an especially dangerous city. Just take the normal precautions discussed here, and the worst that can happen is that you lose a couple hundred pesos, and maybe one credit card, max. It's no big deal. It could even happen to you at home.

Constitution is not a tourist area of the city, and it's unlikely that a visiting monger would find himself walking in that barrio unless he was seriously lost. The areas of town that tourists frequent are much more heavily policed. Not that pickpockets can't operate there, but the risks for the petty criminals are much greater.

And as respects the risks of the subte and bus system, I think it's worth pointing out that on a dozen trips to BsAs I've never set foot on the subway or on a bus; the typical visitor doesn't need to.

Norman Stormin
11-27-06, 21:16
Happened to me exactly a year ago coming back to town on the train from a beerfest in Temperly. It was a Sunday night about 21:00. The cops stopped us inside the station and told the girl I was with she should shed the gold necklaces. We were both a bit tipsy. I had to peeee like a racehorse and I guess it's so bad at Constituion at night that one of the cops went with me to the head.

When I came back, my girl had attracted and made friends with four more cops. They walked us out the front door. She didn't heed their advice. Half way across the street her neclaces were ripped off by an olympic sprinter in full sight of 4 cops. No one could do anything.