PDA

View Full Version : Saw My First Robbery Today

Big Friendly
12-04-06, 19:01
At about 4 pm today I was at the corner of Santa Fe and Uruguay. Some older Argentinian lady yelled and as I looked up I saw a husky fellow in a nice white shirt jump on a waiting motorcycle and the 2 drove away rapidly. Apparently the fellow had snatched her watch or tennis bracelet and made a quick exit.

After being robbed at gunpoint by motorcycle bandits in Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic I changed my operating proceedures. I only wear a $10 Wal Mart watch with no gold jewellery of any kind. I use a $35 candy bar cell phone and only carry enough money ($50 to $100) for the night. If I pick up a chick I bring her back to the pad where I have money stashed so I can pay her. I keep the real wad hidden. If I do get robbed, they can have whatever they want as long as I get to keep my life. Heck, I'll even throw in the watch.

David

Gltraveler
12-05-06, 10:07
I've witnessed 2 watch muggings in BA. The thiefs didn't bother with anything else: purses, wallets, etc. In each case their friends were waiting with the getaway motorcycle. Almost surgical in its efficiency.

Leave your expensive watches at home!

Emeritus
12-10-06, 14:36
Hello.

When I arrived 3 years ago to BA, prices where very low, people very nice and I hardly heard of theft.

On my return this year I see prices are rising and I hear more about theft.

The city still has to be one of the best values, the people are still good but I feel the guilded egde is fading and peeling.

I hope the process of BA becoming just another big city is a slow slow process.

At present I see no ther alternatives.

If anyone has ideas please let us know.

Thanks.

The E

Hunt99
12-10-06, 15:46
Theft is not common if you take the obvious precautions. Big Friendly gives you a good primer on what to do and what not to do. I would add that one should avoid questionable neighborhoods, traveling alone, and also to travel by clearly marked radio taxis. In wintertime, keep your money (as BF says, don't carry too much) in the inside pocket of your coat.

El Grandote
12-10-06, 19:59
I may get a lot of flak for speaking my mind but, those of you that know me might appreciate what I have to say. Some of this may have been previously stated, forgive me but I need to make a point.

Rules of the streets:

Always walk with purpose, DO NOT window shop (this is not the States) if you go inside you have a less chance of a snatch and grab situation.

DO NOT walk straight, change your direction and speed (this makes it difficult to calculate your next move and it makes if difficult to set up and snatch and grab if they can NOT estimate where you will be at any given time)

DO NOT get into conversations at the street lights with anybody including your buddies (talk about an easy mark, standing and distracted)

When waiting for the light to change DO NOT stand on the curb (moto bandits love this method, they see you stand near the street, they ride up to you and relieve of your valuables before you know what happen)

DO NOT get into a confrontational talk with anybody this is a great distraction for them to use against you (I am already guilty of this; ask Punter, Coach or Sportsman)

When approaching a building that creates a blind spot for you, stay clear of the building walk wide, this gives you a chance to react if there already is distance between you and the perpetrator.

DO NOT walk on the building side if you see someone (or many) approaching, this gives you a way out if they intend you rob you. This has already happened to me, I was walking by self when two young were approaching me. I deliberately walked on the street side to give them room to walk by me. They choose to split up (one passed on my left and the other on my right) even though they had plenty of room to pass building side. I knew one would distract me while the other would try to rob me. Too bad I was on to their ploy; I turned around and asked them what they wanted and they ran away (thief zero and El G one)

Some may think I am paranoid but I have never been mugged, think about that.

Cheers El G