PDA

View Full Version : Big Mamma Gourmet Deli

Hound
12-19-06, 12:15
Juramento 2156 Tel 4781 0093

Yesterday I was on my way to Chinatown for some lunch and instead ended up in this good sized Jewish deli. It shares the grounds with the Sarmiento Museum of History. Inside / outside seating off the street in a semi private well manicured area separated from the sidewalk. I chose the hot pastrami on a toasted onion and poppy bialy. Slices of crisp dill pickle included. Three sizes and prices the top end at 220 grams for 18p. Reubens, bagels, lox, salmon, cheese blintzes and of course cheesecake. Other typical fare as well. Waitstaff of two fresh-faced colleage age girls with good attitudes. Small sandwich, glass of wine and cheesecake for 21p.

Delivery available They'll e-mail the menu to you.

Capt Dave
12-19-06, 12:29
Hound.

That could be a hot tip, but you didn't mention how it was, particularly the pastrami and cheescake!

Also, for the record, could you state your credentials for identifying this kind of stuff (e.g. "born in Brooklyn", "lived in Manhatten", "trained with Mossad", "grew up in Butte, Montana", etc.)

:)
(just kidding!)

Thanks,

David.

Juramento 2156 Tel 4781 0093

Yesterday I was on my way to Chinatown for some lunch and instead ended up in this good sized Jewish deli. It shares the grounds with the Sarmiento Museum of History. Inside / outside seating off the street in a semi private well manicured area separated from the sidewalk. I chose the hot pastrami on a toasted onion and poppy bialy. Slices of crisp dill pickle included. Three sizes and prices the top end at 220 grams for 18p. Reubens, bagels, lox, salmon, cheese blintzes and of course cheesecake. Other typical fare as well. Waitstaff of two fresh-faced colleage age girls with good attitudes. Small sandwich, glass of wine and cheesecake for 21p.

Delivery available They'll e-mail the menu to you.

Norman Stormin
12-19-06, 12:52
Of the one on Juramento is on the corner of Migueletes and Matienza. Two months ago they converted this deli into a higher end Eastern European restaurant. I haven't seen much business there since the conversion. I haven't tried it either as I'm not fond of borscht (especially at 25p a bowl)

But I just saw an add in the Hearld that Big Mamma is back. They must have shelved the restaurant. Will check it out today and advise.

Post Script:

Managed to get back before the edit option expired. Mamma isn't really back. It's still a high end restaurant with no customers at lunchtime yesterday. The new name is Mamma Europa. They have 2 sandwhiches on the menu: pastami or lachs, 31p with slaw plus 3p cover. But it's 450 grams so I guess the price per kilo is comparable to Juramento. Lunch menu of the day is 24p plus cover. Friday is gifiltefisch.

Norman Stormin
12-18-18, 12:55
I think I have concluded why all my favorite restaurants have closed.

INFLATION has eaten up all the ill gotten gains of the theives of the Kirchner regime.

Argentina is broke again.

Time for new IMF money and nationalization of industries.

Daddy Rulz
12-18-18, 14:45
Of the one on Juramento is on the corner of Migueletes and Matienza. Two months ago they converted this deli into a higher end Eastern European restaurant. I haven't seen much business there since the conversion. I haven't tried it either as I'm not fond of borscht (especially at 25p a bowl)

But I just saw an add in the Hearld that Big Mamma is back. They must have shelved the restaurant. Will check it out today and advise.

Post Script:

Managed to get back before the edit option expired. Mamma isn't really back. It's still a high end restaurant with no customers at lunchtime yesterday. The new name is Mamma Europa. They have 2 sandwhiches on the menu: pastami or lachs, 31p with slaw plus 3p cover. But it's 450 grams so I guess the price per kilo is comparable to Juramento. Lunch menu of the day is 24p plus cover. Friday is gifiltefisch.You want la Crespo in Villa Crespo. There be good eats here brother. Plus one of my all time fav restos (Malvon) is just down the street.

http://www.lacrespo.com/menu