PDA

View Full Version : Budget Hotels

TangoManiac
01-06-07, 16:48
Ok everyone, this is for the really cheap fucks out there who might be staying awhile or dont want to pay 100 bucks a night for a hotel.

I dont know if these hotels are chica friendly. They might charge you like 20 pesos for the doube rate instead of single. Who knows. But if you are in a crunch and need to find a half decent place you can look here. Others can chime in on others.

What I noticed was that along the side streets of Avenida de Mayo on the way towards plaza de mayo there are a lot of hotels that dont look like they would be a marriott. They are nicer than the hotel mickey i wrote about, but not like a sheraton. But for the price they are not bad, there aren't rats running around, and there is usually an nice old man at the front desk who makes sure only hotel guests can come and go.

Hotel Uruguay --------> Tacuari 83. At Ave. De Mayo and Tacuari. At roughly the 900 block of ave. De mayo. I didnt stay here but stopped in as it is across the street from the Gran Hotel España. I asked the price for a single and it was 60 pesos at the lowest end. Don't know about rooms but the lobby signaled that it looked half decent. Phone number 4434-2788 and 4334-3456. Area looks safe. You will want to call in before hand because locals tend to stay there bc it is cheap. The front desk people usually do NOT speak english. Get a friend to book it for you or ask roxanna if she'll do it for a fee.

Gran Hotel España Tacuari Tacuari 80. 4343-5541, 4343-5542, 4343-5543. Across the street from hotel uruguay. Paid 50 pesos for a single. The room is nice with a fan and bathroom. The bed was comfortable. I can't say it was like a 3 or 4 star hotel but it was clean, well kept, in a safe street, and you get a front row seat to all the protests every day on Ave de Mayo! Call a little in advance on this one. I got lucky and got the last cheap room. From there prices go on up to 75 and 90 pesos. Either way not a bad deal. By the way make sure you aren't at the gran Hispaño. That is on ave de mayo and is in the 70 dollar range I think.

Across the street from the grand café Tortoni around the 1000 block of Ave de Mayo is the Hotel Argentino I think. They were very reasonable as well. I want to say in the 60 peso range for a single. Add like 20 pesos for another person. I don't have their number but if you walk by there, stop in and ask them how much it costs for a habitacion (room)

There are a lot of these little hotels on side streets. Chica frienldly is anyones guess. For that price you could get a transitorio for.45 pesos and do your deed there and still end up on top. Hehehehe.

One last word---- my impression is that these are inexpensive hotels. They are not like the motel 6's that we have in the US with drugs and guyz from the hood running around with guns. They are clean and provide a nice bed to sleep on. Most of these places do not take credit card. Bring your pesos. Also prevents the dreaded credit card fraud problems endemic throughout south america. Keep that in mind.

TM

Juan Carter
01-19-07, 20:23
Thank you very much for this post. I hope to take a six week trip in April or May and appreciate information that fits my budget.

TangoManiac
01-19-07, 22:31
Ok this one is next to Abasto. Hotel N'ontue. Single is 85 PESOS and double occupancy is 118 pesos. They do have AC.

4863-4098

4863-4099

4861-6995 are the phone numbers I have for them.

Av Corrientes 3321

www.nontuehotel.com.ar

info@nontuehotel. Com. Ar

So when you get here, book a budget hotel for a couple nights. Wander around the city and you will be amazed at what you can find. Because most of these seem to be family owned (the 15 dollar a night places at least) you may be able to negotiate especially after February.

TM

Artisttyp
04-26-07, 11:37
Can anyone tell me if this hotel (nontuehotel) is in a quiet enough area to get a good night sleep? Is there anything I need to look out for like not staying on one side of the building versus the other for noise reasons?

In room saftey deposit boxes or one box at the front desk?

Thanks.

Ps. They seem to be very well organized and accessible through the internet.

TangoManiac
04-27-07, 08:44
Email or call them about the safety deposit box.

The hotel fronts Corrientes which is loud as hell. Don't get a room that faces the street if that is an issue. It is right next to Abasto shopping mall.

BundaLover
04-28-07, 15:16
I know of 2 family hotels in a much better area then this.

They are located one street back from Santa Fe (direction away from river) and one and 2 streets beyond Callao (direction towards Palermo) Sorry I don't have the names and info at hand. I checked them out last year and they had aircon, tv, ok beds, phones, not dumps. If I find my notes I'll post. Anybody want to do a little field work?

Artisttyp
04-28-07, 15:29
The info is great but you have no idea how wonderful it is to have a link to a website. It makes all the difference in the world.

The hotel nontue seems good but they sit right on top of a subte station. I live above one in New York City but on the 13th floor. I hear nothing. I doubt its as quiet in BA.

Artisttyp
05-03-07, 23:26
I thought I'd share two weeks worth of work with you guys. I would consider myself a budget traveler but not too cheap as to make myself uncomfortable. My hotel budget is usually in the $30 - 50 range. Here is what I found searching through the internet and guide books.

I'm going to break it down for you. You are probably going to want to stay in recoleta or the downtown area next to the obelisco (palermo is cool but a little out of the loop for my taste) Recoleta is more expensive and the center is noisy. Do the math. There are a few hotels downtown which I will mention that you can ask for a room off the street but you face a empty shaft with little sunlight. Again do the math.

The cheapest hotel I found was for $14 in san telmo. I can't remember the name but its on the list. Also remember the weather. You want somewhere that at least has a fan in the summer and somewhere to provide you with enough blankets in the winter. Lets not forget a safety deposit box.

Please excuse the repeats from other lists but I think they are worth mentioning again.

www.hotelvedra.com.ar (has gotten ok reviews from ny times and trip advisor) get a room off the street.

www.hotelmarbella.com (good reviews from travel library.com)
www.hotel-internacional.com.ar
www.hotel-principe.com.ar (recoleta)
www.hotel-lyon.com.ar (has gotten great reviews...best kept secret...not for long) located on riobamba not far from recoleta and I think close to 24 hour privado 392 riobamba 2nd floor.
www.cphotel.com.ar
www.hotelecuador.com
www.hotelgranvia.com.ar
www.milanhotel.com
www.hotelparlamento.com
www.kingshotel.com.ar
www.novelhotel.com.ar
www.terminehotel.com.ar
www.panamehotel.com (.ar ?)
www.hhispano.com.ar
www.ahrcc.com.ar (great website for BA hotels)
www.dorahotel.com.ar (great reviews from lonely planet ) 2 blocks from florida street
www.hotelgransarmiento.com.ar
www.eurohotel.com.ar

I can't vouch for any of these places and you must ask about guests. I'm pretty sure they will try to charge you or say no. Its ok I do privados anyway. I asked and will be charged $15. Ok as long as I don't have to pay for the chica.

Thank you to those that have posted before me to give me the kick start.

StrayLight
05-03-07, 23:49
This little pension-like place is located on Juncal between Larrea and Azcuenaga, in lower Recoleta.

http://www.juncalpalacehotel.com.ar/

Last time I checked (a few weeks ago) rooms are about $120 pesos a night.

I haven't seen any of the rooms, but I've poked my head into the lobby a few times to check out the ambience. I like it. Plus, not far from the Pueyrredón subte stop...just a short walk to the clubs...and relatively quiet. In my younger days, I would've stayed here in a heartbeat.

If anyone actually does decide to stay here, please post a review. I'm always looking for "off the beaten path"-type places for some of my visiting friends and acquantances, and I'd like to get a first-hand report sometime.

Enjoy

SL

BundaLover
06-12-07, 14:49
This one has a posted web site below. I stayed there about 1.25 years ago. This is old school kind of place designed with British tradition. Forget about TV and internet access. Very formal entrance. Great location off of Florida Street. Reservations are kept in a hand written registar as computers are 'new school'. Rooms are smallish with solid dark hardwood furniture and tiled bathrooms. It is not a converted office building or house cum hotel. Well maintained and better than several of the off Florida places with respect to value / cleaniness. Prices include tax. My reccollection is that the rooms are a level above the photos shown for the Marbella posting. Reccomended if you like pre-internet 1960's kind of places.

Jack 24
07-16-07, 03:32
Stayed there for a couple of weeks in May.

Price.

Was 130 pesos then for the small room (already 145)
Includes continental breakfast of croissants and coffee served in your room.

Room.

Very small, but nice.
AC, elevator.
Quiet, which I need and I was right in front.

Chicas.

Very chica friendly.
Chicas can just walk up to the room with you.
They don't have to stop at the front desk.
Don't have to show ID.
No joiner fee.
Brought in girls all hours of the day and night.

Hotel Guests.

Pretty old fogey and staid.
They wore a lot of clothes and had 5-10 pieces of luggage.
Some old lady kind of looked askance at me one day when I pulled Isabella from Cafe Orleans and brought her there in the middle of the day when the button-crowd was milling about the lobby but the staff never tripped on it.

Location.

I thought it was perfect.
Best part of town apparently.
Midway between the Recoleta Village and Cafe Exedra. Easy walk either way.
Taxi ride was 4.5 pesos from either location.
Great restaurants all around that area.
One block off of Cordoba.

Hlover
07-16-07, 15:44
The Prince Hotel is a great value. The staff speaks enough English and is very customer oriented.

As stated, the location is exellent; walking distance to El Alamo bar, one block from Santa Fe Ave. (close to 1707 Santa Fe apartment) laundramat next door, internet access, etc. The rooms were large enough with a great split system and access to English TV channels. Highly recommended.

King Hotel is in a great location but the rooms are extremely small with an old style elevator with the gate and a shower with slow drainage.

IMO a much better option is the Liberty Hotel (disagree with previous criticism on the board) across the street.

Great lobby, common areas and excellent breakfast. Rates may be close to the King or even cheaper (2003 prices) For some reason the rates continually dropped during my 2003 visit.

Tourboys
07-31-07, 12:07
I am getting to BA tonight and need somewhere CHEAP to stay until the 15th of Aug. There are two of us. Where do you recomend?

Thomaso276
07-31-07, 12:38
Why not wait until the last minute?

Cheapest places are in rundown hotels in San Telmo, Boca. Extra fleas are included for free.

Joe Vato
07-31-07, 13:26
Try the Columbia hotel on Corrientes. Rooms are $35.00 for two but not fancy. For $50.00 dollars for two you can stay at a much nicer hotel called A and B. It is close to Corrientes but on Viamonte or Sarmentio. The least expensive is a hostel at $12.00. All prices are in US. Good luck trying to find a hotel since their vacation for the children has started and people travel to BA for a little R and R.

Juan Carter
10-06-07, 04:02
Try the Columbia hotel on Corrientes. Rooms are $35.00 for two but not fancy.According to their internet site www.columbiapalacehotel.com.ar the rate for a double is $59.00. I am hunting for a hobby friendly hotel in the centro for $30.00 or less. I expect to be in BsAs this January for about a week. Most hotel posts here and the links below reference hotels in excess of $45.00. It is evident that this board recommends apartment rentals but there must be true "budget category" hotels. Your recommendations are appreciated.

TangoManiac
10-06-07, 04:48
[QUOTE=Joe Vato]Try the Columbia hotel on Corrientes. Rooms are $35.00 for two but not fancy.

According to their internet site www.columbiapalacehotel.com.ar the rate for a double is $59.00. I am hunting for a hobby friendly hotel in the centro for $30.00 or less. I expect to be in BsAs this January for about a week. Most hotel posts here and the links below reference hotels in excess of $45.00. It is evident that this board recommends apartment rentals but there must be true "budget category" hotels. Your recommendations are appreciated.Your best bet is to book a cheap place that is mentioned below, and use the hourly love motels for bringing chicas back. There are some hotels that are as cheap as 15 dollars a night. But if you're only here a week it would be worth it to splurge on an apt.

Zephyr
11-29-07, 05:05
I have been going to BSAS since Jan. 2000, there are many options available and if you plan to stay for three weeks or more you can negociate a better price upfront.

Hotel Maipu, located between Cordoba and Viamonte is an older building, they have private rooms with or without private bath.

The staff are friendly and they allow chicas in the room, I spoke with the owner and got a 5 dollar break per night for long term stay (5 weeks)

On future trips I discovered youth hostells, they cost about 24 pesos per night, many have a small bar with super cheap beer and music.

The great part about this is there are always lots of young girls there, you can get your buzz cheap before going out to more expensive clubs, and you can save your money for chicas.

I stayed at V & S at 887 Viamonte, the bar is nice and it is a short walk to Florida and subte, another option is Portal Del SUR, 855 Hipolito Yrigoyen.

Again, nice bar with pool table on the roof, asado on the weekends, we even managed to sneek chicas into our room and fucked them right on the bunkbed with some poor slob trying to sleep above.

My budget has improved, and I desired more comfort / privacy, so these days I rent a loft from Byt argentina website. $us 400 per week cot me a 2000 sf loft downtown, two balconies, two queen beds, tv, internet and a private bar.

The staff met me when I arrived, everything was as promised, then they left me alone till checkout. I liked it becuase I could fuck chicas in one bed and sleep in the other.

Happy Mongering,

Zephyr

Phu Bai
11-29-07, 05:54
This site has an extensive list of the more reasonable and bijou hotels and hostels. Its a little cranky and obtuse at first, but a good source and very detailed with web sites, phone numbers, ratings, reviews, etc.

Bazzerboy
11-18-08, 21:04
Little hotel type small clean (but not modern by any stretch of the imagination) hotel in San Telmo. 50 pesos a night. Private bathroom, hot shower and bidet. Cable T. V. very small room and old but clean decor and bed sheets. Room cleaned daily.

Hey its somewhere to throw your bags and head out for the night. I'm sure its not chica friendly as owners let you in the door in the morning when returning from a night on the town. You would'nt want to take them there anyway.

I prefer the mirrored 2 hour smut shacks experience anyway and so do the girls (re:safety)

I do the hostel thing to meet girls and drink beers with other tourists but this is another alternative when you want to be alone and want to stash your cash for the good times.

Hotel Brias del Mar
Humberto primo 826 (cross st. pedrais)
San Telmo.

You pay for what you get.

Juan Carter
02-24-10, 04:10
Little hotel type small clean (but not modern by any stretch of the imagination) hotel in San Telmo. 50 pesos a night. Private bathroom, hot shower and bidet. Cable T. V. Very small room and old but clean decor and bed sheets. Room cleaned daily. You pay for what you get.Thanks, Bazzer. On top of airfare, the lodging costs have thus far kept me from my BA fantasy. I ended up in Lima in 07, Colombia in 08, Mexico in 09 but still have Argentina on my "hope to" list for the Fall of 2010. But, damn, I can get a nice hotel room in the other countries for $20 or less.

Wild Walleye
02-25-10, 17:59
Thanks, Bazzer. On top of airfare, the lodging costs have thus far kept me from my BA fantasy. I ended up in Lima in 07, Colombia in 08, Mexico in 09 but still have Argentina on my "hope to" list for the Fall of 2010. But, damn, I can get a nice hotel room in the other countries for $20 or less.Is less than US$20.

Jaimito Cartero
02-25-10, 20:32
Is less than US$20Way less, actually. If 50 pesos is too expensive, then I don't know where he's going to be happy at. $13 is way cheap.

Juan Carter
02-26-10, 17:00
Hey its somewhere to throw your bags and head out for the night. I'm sure its not chica friendly as owners let you in the door in the morning when returning from a night on the town. You would'nt want to take them there anyway.

You pay for what you get.Thanks again Bazzer. Yeah, 50 peso is way cheap. It is just that I'm spoiled. I stayed in Sept. 2009 at a very nice hotel in Mexico DF (Hotel Andrade) for 250 Mexican Pesos ($19.56) Clean, modern, with shampoo and stuff in bath, garage, 24 hour desk, room service, elevators. A place you'd expect to pay $70 for in the USA. It is off the internet travel radar and I had vague hopes there might be someplace as nice or, stepping down, perhaps as nice as the Maria Luisa in Lima. Thanks again, everyone, as it stands it looks like I'll have to increase my budget or step down quality expectations for Bs. As.

Jaimito Cartero
02-26-10, 17:10
Thanks again, everyone, as it stands it looks like I'll have to increase my budget or step down quality expectations for Bs. As.Perhaps if you wanted to rent an apartment for a month or so, then your costs would be reasonable, and you'd get more bang for the buck.

Northsider
09-28-10, 00:55
Haven't been in BA since 2006. I had a list of hotels from back then in the less than US$20 (app 60 pesos back then) per night range. Looks like they are all in the US$50 range now.

I'm looking for a place in the 100p / night range for a few nights in early November, hopefully setting up an apartment rental for when I return in January. I have the names of a few places, but was wondering if any of you gents can recommend (or warn of) any places in this range. I'm working my way through the various lists but most are out of date rarely come out below the 200p range.

Don't care about chica-friendly, just clean, safe and relatively quiet. I don't want to stay in San Telmo, prefer somewhere near Av. Santa Fe, but will consider elsewhere that is a fairly safe area.

Carnal Urges
08-29-11, 02:59
Previous post from Sept 2010, sure is an updated section.

If you're still around Northsider, how'd you make out?

Find it very interesting, even considering the inflation, it's recently apprx 4:1 vs 3:1 back when and yet it still comes out costly?

Don't mind inflation as long as you have the better exchange rate to go along with it and basically keep costs like a few years back. Guess that's dreaming though.

If a beer was 6p in 2008@3:1, that's $2. (just as an example, maybe more or less)

If now it's been inflated to 8p as an example, but you have the 4:1 exchange, well that's still $2. So where is all the extra costs in things coming from?

Unless some things are super inflating more than others.

Miami Bob
08-29-11, 12:54
You might be very pleasantly surprised in many ways. PM Jackson. He did not ask me to do this-but it is an obvious alternative in the 200 to 250 pesos per night range. He might be a bit above that w / discounts available depending on timing and length of stay. Beautiful place in near-perfect safe location.