PDA

View Full Version : Green Bamboo - Vietnamese

Capt Dave
01-06-07, 19:23
Guys.

Just had dinner last night at a Vietnamese restaurant in Palermo called Green Bamboo.

Appetizer of a dim-sum like steamed "ravioli" with an excellent soy / shitake dipping sauce.

My dinner was thin rice noodles with shrimp and shitake (Mien Xao Tom), my buddy had a cubed chicken with a lovely, slightly sweet sauce.

Dessert for me was a Maracuya (passion fruit) mouse on a bottom crust of semi-sweet chocolate, served with a chartruesse/honey sauce to drizzle over it (Socola) - REALLY good!

Total check with no wine but multiple soft drinks was 99 pesos.

Food was well presented, and service was good, and the two lovely waitresses were both remarkably nice to watch slithering around the small dining room. Our waitress spoke good English, and they have an English menu available.

One thing I noticed but didn't try was a pretty interesting selection of tropical cocktails, with blenders whirling constantly. One drink was served in a hollowed-out pineapple, which looked pretty nifty!

The only drawback is that this restaurant is right across the street from Azema, which is still has my nomination for the best restaurant in BsAs. Those of you who haven't been there should probably try Azema first unless you are REALLY jonesing for Viet food.

Both places are small, so reservations are STRONGLY suggested for either one, especially after 9:00 or on Fri. Sat.

Green Bamboo.
Costa Rica 5802 (esq. Caranza) Palermo.
4775-7050
www.green-bamboo.com.ar (says their card)

Fretta
01-09-07, 08:38
I have to agree that the food was pretty good and the atmosphere was fun. The duck I had was really good and my mango-flavored drink about put me on the floor. I also thought the waitresses were really hot in a hipster / soho / artsy kind of way, but I think you might get a knee in the groin or lose an eye if you were to suggest an unconventional evening social arrangement.

Hunt99
01-09-07, 13:06
This is the first Viet restaurant I've heard of in BsAs. Great pickup, fellas.

Andres
01-09-07, 17:02
This is the first Viet restaurant I've heard of in BsAs. Great pickup, fellas.There's another one a few blocks away called Sudestada, if I remember well at the corner of Guatemana and Fitz Roy. You have to reserve, since it's small and very famous.

The decoration looks very minimalist, very well chosen.

Hope this helps,

Andres

Hound
01-09-07, 18:21
Sudestada---Guatamala 5602

4776 3777

Elusive
03-07-07, 17:03
As I am Vietnamese, I thought I would try the place. While I was disapointed they had no actual Viet's working there or cooking, I have to admit it was decent. I was expecting a bland Epcot type ethnic menu, but they got the food down pretty good. I will return

Digs123
03-14-07, 03:28
If you go to Green Bamboo try the Vit Quay~

The best duck confit I have ever had, its worth a revisit if you haven't had it.

I have eaten there a few times and everything is quite solid.

Member #3320
09-15-08, 02:01
Hello friends! After eating eating steaks for most of the week, I decided to try out this Vietnamese Restaurant and was very pleasantly surprised by the outcome.

Getting There: Costa Rica 5802 (Palermo Viejo) By taxi, cost me about 9 ARS from another street of Palermo.

There were also buses passing by in front of restaurants, so that could also be an option for budget mongers.

AMBIENCE: Excellent. I was really impressed by the decor, the lighting and the set-up of the restaurant and very soft volume English music. I would say that for ambience alone, you must give this place a try once.

WAITRESSES: A good mixture of hip, gangsta, gothic. I really lusted for them but I didnt want to get a sore eye or kick on my balls for suggesting a indecent proposal to them. The waitresses alone make another good reason for mongers to visit this place. They speak good English and really impressed me.

FOOD: Though I didnt see any Vietnamese person around but food is very close to authentic Vietnamese food. I can safely say that because have personally spent quality time in Ho Chi Min City & Hanoi in recent times.

PRICES: Not very cheap. I found it slightly more expensive than its close competitor, Sudestada, which is much more famous than this one.

I didnt have appetizer or soup or desert but still just the main course and a fruit drink cost me about 62ARS.

SERVICE: excellent, excellent, excellent!

CLIENTS: Mostly young city couples enjoying a nice cosy evening on the comfortable sofas. Sofas have been extensively used as sitting arrangement. I liked that very much.

BAR: A excellent bar sitting arrangement and a great assortment of wines, cocktails. I would say that its worth a try.

WHAT DID I EAT?

I had something called GA CAM GUNG (Salteado de pollo en tuil de arroz why cilantro.) It is basically sauteed chicken with assortment of rice, ginger, lemon, tomatoes, basil etc etc etc served with chili sauce.

Extremely delicious.

I also ordered a mixed fruit drink with it which was also very nice.

TRIVIA.

They were only giving chop sticks. Forks were not given. I liked that.

DO I RECOMMEND THIS PLACE?

Very much so. However, if you do not know anything about Vietnamese food or never been to Vietnam, go there with a open mind and I am sure you will like it.

Smuler
09-15-08, 09:21
Thanks for the review Captain.

As one of the people who sent you to Sudestada, I will have to give this one a try in a month when I get there.

Best Regards.

Smuler

Member #3320
09-15-08, 13:30
Thanks for the review Captain.

As one of the people who sent you to Sudestada.

I will have to give this one a try in a month when I get there.

Best Regards.

SmulerSmuler,

Its a must try. You will be pleasantly surprised. In many ways its slightly superior to Sudestada.

BTW, don't flirt with the waitresses. Though you would strongly be tempted to;-)

Cheers

Chowder
09-17-08, 03:05
Hello friends! After eating eating steaks for most of the week, I decided to try out this Vietnamese Restaurant and was very pleasantly surprised by the outcome.

Getting There: Costa Rica 5802 (Palermo Viejo) By taxi, cost me about 9 ARS from another street of Palermo.

There were also buses passing by in front of restaurants, so that could also be an option for budget mongers.

AMBIENCE: Excellent. I was really impressed by the decor, the lighting and the set-up of the restaurant and very soft volume English music. I would say that for ambience alone, you must give this place a try once.

WAITRESSES: A good mixture of hip, gangsta, gothic. I really lusted for them but I didnt want to get a sore eye or kick on my balls for suggesting a indecent proposal to them. The waitresses alone make another good reason for mongers to visit this place. They speak good English and really impressed me.

FOOD: Though I didnt see any Vietnamese person around but food is very close to authentic Vietnamese food. I can safely say that because have personally spent quality time in Ho Chi Min City & Hanoi in recent times.

PRICES: Not very cheap. I found it slightly more expensive than its close competitor, Sudestada, which is much more famous than this one.

I didnt have appetizer or soup or desert but still just the main course and a fruit drink cost me about 62ARS.

SERVICE: excellent, excellent, excellent!

CLIENTS: Mostly young city couples enjoying a nice cosy evening on the comfortable sofas. Sofas have been extensively used as sitting arrangement. I liked that very much.

BAR: A excellent bar sitting arrangement and a great assortment of wines, cocktails. I would say that its worth a try.

WHAT DID I EAT?

I had something called GA CAM GUNG (Salteado de pollo en tuil de arroz why cilantro. It is basically sauteed chicken with assortment of rice, ginger, lemon, tomatoes, basil etc etc etc served with chili sauce.

Extremely delicious.

I also ordered a mixed fruit drink with it which was also very nice.

TRIVIA.

They were only giving chop sticks. Forks were not given. I liked that.

DO I RECOMMEND THIS PLACE?

Very much so. However, if you do not know anything about Vietnamese food or never been to Vietnam, go there with a open mind and I am sure you will like it.Hey Captain,

I was there on my trip to BA in July, and I had the fish and the shrimp app and it came to about 100+ Pesos. The most expensive meal I had in BA. While I haven't been to Viet Nam like yourself, I didn't find the food all that authenic and on the average side. Living in the San Francisco Bay Area, there is a huge vietnamese population in San Jose and San Francisco, I did not think the food came close to some of the vietnamese restaurants here. But it could be the vietnamese cooks here vs the ones in Viet Nam and BA had different ingredients and spices to use.

Because of the cost and my dissappoint with the food, I would not recommend the place. But if you want go somewhere with some of the best cocktails in BA - Green Bamboo is the place to go. The bartender is one of the best in the city and like the Cap says. The vibe is great.

Harry
09-17-08, 22:50
I've spent time in Ho Chi Minh City and was interested in visiting this restaurant. Unfortunately I wasn't aware that they weren't open for lunch so I missed out on sampling the fare.

When I called the restaurant to inquire about hours of operation I learned that it's operated by Argentines who learned to cook Vietnamese food from employees of the Vietnamese Embassy.

Member #3320
09-18-08, 03:51
Even if you don't like the food, try it out for the ambience and experience of eating here. Its quite a chic place!

Ray111
03-26-09, 16:11
This place is a must for all fans of Far-East Asian food in Argentina.

Great food, presentation, service and ambience.

Rioman
03-26-09, 18:48
I went to this place once last year and guess if you have to eat Vietnamese food in Argentina maybe you need to go there as it is nice enough. However, for the price I can think of much better,"chiccer" options in that general area. Stumbled upon Bar 6 near Costa Rica and Armenia awhile back and it is very nice. Seemed to be a few other places in the area that looked very nice as well.