PDA

View Full Version : Tailored leather jackets

Courcheval
01-14-07, 02:33
Since the labour is quite affordable with hard currencies, you still can get your clothes tailored here. I went in a quest for a leather jacket and entered a shop in Florda street. Since I m way above the argentine usual height I couldnt find a jacket that would suit me. No problemo, senor.

The shop keeper offered me to tailor the jacket. I chose a model, he took my shoulder, arm, waist, chest measures and the day after. Tata. A leather jacket that suits me like perfectly. I could even choose the color of the leather and. The color of the appearant sewing (beige on aged brown) All this for 590 pesos (less than 200 dollars) Fantastic Argentina!

TangoManiac
01-14-07, 14:54
Yep, you paid the gringo price for that jacket.

BadMan
01-14-07, 16:05
Sounds great Courcheval,

Considering the price for the same quality and service in the US would probably set you back 3 times as much. Anyways, if you would be so kind to post the name and number or at least the address of this store, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bad.

PS, I do agree with Tango, sometimes it is best to shop around for better deals. But from the way you describe the service, sometimes it is best to pay a premium and get exactly what you want.

Jim Mac
01-14-07, 20:17
Can you not get better deals in Murillo? I'm going to be in BA in a couple of weeks and would appreciate suggestions from board members on where to buy good leather jackets. With my shape I may need tailoring too. Where's best for quality and value?

Daddy Rulz
01-14-07, 21:08
I've said this before and some people agree. The only time to compare prices v USA or Europe is if the item being bought is for use there.

Pussy is manufactured, sold and consumed in Argentina (sometimes manufacured elsewhere obvio) food the same, you gotta think in Pesos but if it's something to be taken back to a hard currancy country thinking about it in terms of value back there isn't such a bad idea I think.

Could he have saved 100 pesos by going to Marillo? Maybe, but by the time you figure in time and cabs maybe 50 pesos. If he found the cut and coat he likes the price while not great is ok. Another thing in buying a jacket like that is each little shop sort of has their own patterns, while most are similar if you find one you like buy it. Almost every shop in town will custom make one for you for little if any charge.

Courcheval
01-14-07, 22:40
The place was called "Gala de Oscar Nunez" 728 on Florida (4326 1067).

If I was looking for the best price, I wouldnt have gone to the microcenter for sure, not would i go to the center of any Capital Town. The place was conveniently located since I could shop for other clothes and computer stuff there (and..birds watching in some famous bars around), they happened to have what I was looking for (a summer leather jacket for motocycling), they adapted it to both my taste and my size, and they did it overnight. So I was very happy with it.

But since you seem to have a lot of expertise about where to shop for clothes, TangoManiac, would you be kind enough to advise me on where to find the best quality / price deal for tailored shirts, I can t seem to find my size as well in Florida street.

Thanks in advance.

Philippe

Courcheval
01-15-07, 18:43
Since our local tango fashion victim seems to have taken some vacation, anybody else would be able to bring some positive contribution on that topic? Where to get your shirts tailored? Which cost should we expect? Any recommended place for its quality price ratio? Where to buy the fabrics?

I m sure I'm not the only visitor or expat to reach the limits of the latin understanding of a man s maximum height =)

AllIWantIsLove
01-15-07, 20:08
Since I often overlook the obvious myself, I am not being a smartass when I ask if you've tried the yellow pages. Of course I know that you are looking for a recommendation and you don't get recommendations from the yellow pages. But if you are desperate.

There is one named "Big and Tall", they even have a web site, www.bigandtall.com.ar.

If I were you I also might try going back to the place that did your jacket and asking someone there where they would go if they wanted to have a shirt made. Maybe leather tailors know shirt tailors. Or maybe not, but it's a thought.

Bob

Courcheval
01-15-07, 21:07
Thanks for the tip, All, I love you too.

Unfortunatly the designers of the shop website forgot one important detail: the address and phone number of that shop =)

If I can't say anything about the shop, I wouldnt recommend the company that designed the website.

Member #3314
01-15-07, 22:09
What is considered big and tall for Argentina?

I am 6ft tall and weigh 180 lbs.

I was tall in Japan. I could find stuff that fit but it was all too short.

Member #3314
01-15-07, 22:20
I found it somehow.

I agree that site is horrible.

I took a screenshot, I could not duplicate how I got to the address.

Courcheval
01-15-07, 23:24
I m 6"3 and 210 pounds. I can't find anything at my size here

Thanks a lot KG, I didnt have the patience to look in every corner of the site =) I finally found the java menu option on the top right corner, it s beige on orange, so it s barely visible.

I ll check there tomorrow and report.

Flexible Horn
01-16-07, 05:08
I had 4 shirts tailor-made for me on my 1st trip to BsAs, Hunt actually recommended this place.

The shop is at 1825 Santa Fe and I think is called Sir Greyton. They have numerous samples of material and will make it to any style you require.

As for cost obviously in the last 3 years inflation is a major factor in Argentina, I recall paying in the region of 150 pesos per shirt.

The cost may vary for smaller sizes, myself I am a 3XL for ready made shirts.

FH

Jayf1970
01-17-07, 15:11
Tried leather shopping at 500 - 700 block of Murrillo. 666 Murillo, which is recommended elsewhere on the board, I found to be a much overpriced compared to other places, but might be worth it if quality is reliable. I was surprised that almost none of the shops on Murrillo carry shoes. There is one shop close by called Norwich at the intersection of Scalabrini Ortiz and Padilla, which does, but I wasn't too impressed with the offerings.

El Perro
01-17-07, 15:31
There's a place on Suipacha where I got a leather jacket made to order. There is a post on this place somewhere on the board from a year or so back. I forget the name, A & J, or something like that. Quality work. I'm wearing the jacket as I type this in the chill of the internet cafe. I would go back again.

Courcheval
01-17-07, 20:58
So, I tried those 2 places in my search of a shirt that would suit me (never thought it would be a problem before since I have no problem in Europe)

Big and Tall: the smallest shirts were falling on my knees. I looked like one of White Snows dwarves. These people don t tailors shirts, they just adjust them. Quotes were from 200 pesos.

1825 Santa Fe: located in a mall with a sex shop and pr0n cinema, the shop was closed for holidays, but I got another tailor recommended a few blocks away in Callao ("Master") The delay given for making a shirt was 2 weeks and the price 300 pesos.

Any other place anybody could recommend at normal peso prices and faster service?

Thomaso276
01-18-07, 02:35
The days of really cheap clothes, custom made or not, are over in the tourist areas (which now include Sante Fe) Downtown I see alot of shirt stores in the business district going for 85 - 100 pesos, and these are not custom shirts. I haven't been back to the States for awhile, but I imagine you can buy a nice dress shirt with button down collar for about 30 dollars?

Collared polo shirts here are about 100 pesos as well. I do not know how the Argies can afford these prices.

Hunt99
01-18-07, 11:51
The days of really cheap clothes, custom made or not, are over in the tourist areas (which now include Sante Fe) Downtown I see alot of shirt stores in the business district going for 85 - 100 pesos, and these are not custom shirts. I haven't been back to the States for awhile, but I imagine you can buy a nice dress shirt with button down collar for about 30 dollars?

Collared polo shirts here are about 100 pesos as well. I do not know how the Argies can afford these prices.At Costco you can get Ralph Lauren oxfords for about 15-20 bucks (sometimes 30) and Polo shirts for about the same. No sense in buying clothes in Argentina if you can't get a big discount.

El Greco
01-18-07, 19:17
Any other place anybody could recommend at normal peso prices and faster service?There is a shirt shop on Maipu next to the Sheraton Libertador hotel. They also do custom made shirts at reasonable prices.

El Greco

Courcheval
02-17-07, 14:32
While moving to my fav hostel, I found accidentally a tailor right in front of my balcony. I visited the tailor, his display is a bit messy with shoes and dance clothes. He quoted me 150 pesos for a shirt he designs himself. He also designs tango shoes and costumes for ballets.

Actually he can design and taylor anything you want, from feet to head. The shop is at the interesection between Oro and Guemes, one block away from the famous 0ro Club (subte Palermo)

I talked with that young guy who used to be a dancer before the crises for 4 hours. Quite creative and full of resources. Don t hesitate to contact him for any of your personalised tayloring needs.