PDA

View Full Version : A Wine Question

AllIWantIsLove
01-16-07, 21:31
One of you sofisticated guys will know - is there an Argentine wine similar to Pinot Noir or a burgandy? I know that some of the bordeaux type wines here are excellent, but sometimes I prefer a burgundy.

Thanks,

Bob

Sky Ryder
01-16-07, 22:06
At the risk of showing my wine ignorance, I would recommend that you try one or two of the Meritages they blend down here. I can't think of the exact label, but have found that the people in the Winery stores are both knowledgeable and willing to help.

Of course the old standby Malbec is not really what you are looking for, but I really like the Terazzas Malbec, especially the Reserve, although inflation has certainly found the Argentine wine market. I hope this at least gives you a starting point.

Hunt99
01-16-07, 22:29
There are some really good wine bars in town. Consult Guia Oleo and try out some different ones to your heart's content! One of my favorites is El Gran Bar Danzon (search the Restaurants Section) but there are many more.

Sky Ryder
01-17-07, 00:07
I agree with you Hunt. Gran Bar is a great place to go and enjoy some local atmosphere. The food is pretty good as well and it usually has its share of attractive local talent. Of course as far as I know they are all of the elusive "non-pro / normal" chica variety, but nice to look at none the less.

I actually had Christmas dinner there a couple of years ago and found it a very nice way to spend an evening. I have returned a few times with similar results.

BA Luvr
01-17-07, 02:26
Sky Rider,

I agree with you 100% about Terrazas Malbec Reserva. It is a real treasure, and not to be missed by visitors (last price I paid was 36p) As far as I know, it is not available in the States. The standard Terrazas Malbec is available at my local Binny's for about $2 more than I paid in BA. Although everyone's tastes differ, I would also recommend Escorihuela Gascon Syrah. It is popular with some of the locals, who know their wine.

AllIWantisLove, I recommend asking the waiter at a decent restaurant or a liquor store for his wine recommendation. You might find something special you would never pick off a shelf on your own. I also wouldn't get hung up on specific varietals you are used to (like Pinot Noir) The Argentine varietals have been cultivated because they grow well in Argentina, not in California or France. On the other hand, if you're headed to Australia, I can recommend a fabulous estate Pinot!

Happy sampling!

Joe Vato
01-17-07, 03:35
You may wish to try the San Telmo Malbec which is not available in the USA. Have no luck in finding it. Another interesting one is Don David. I would recommend both along with a visit to Campo Bravo restaurant in the Cannitas area. Filled with girls mostly local non-pros but a great place to hang out. In the evenings the wait is about one hour but worth it. Price for the lomo is about 30 pesos for the meal. Full of model type Argentine girls.

Captain9026
01-17-07, 03:38
I saw a malbec at wine house in in West LA for $120.00 US. It was a 2003 Cobus. Is anyone familiar with this wine? I am going to find it when I get there and see if it is really all that. Lets face it $120.00 no matter where its from had better be really special.

Moore
01-17-07, 04:19
Try a Malbec called Obra Prima. They always have it at Danzon, some restaurants and stores. Maybe p50/bottle at Danzon, good stuff.

Terrazas is also good, much more common in restaurants and costs less.

The top of the line Norton(Chandon?) malbec is good can't remember the name. Label is yellow not the DOC which isnt bad but theres another one. Even El Yugo carries it.

Daddy Rulz
01-17-07, 12:06
As some of you guys know I don't drink but my best friend is a real wino, and he had a bottle at dinner "Fin del Mundo" reserve or special reserve, as I recal he had the Malbec. The boquet (sp) was really wonderfull and complex and after it opened, 30 min or so, I could smell the difference. He said it was great.

Hunt99
01-17-07, 12:14
So good, that on a recent trip I bought three cases and shipped them home with me:

http://www.nicolascatena.com/eng/wines/angelica/angelica-ch-2002.html

Not cheap at 25 bucks a bottle or so. But unequaled by anything I've had.

KennyL
01-18-07, 02:13
Its been so played out, and there so much insipid shit on the market from all over the world these days. I'd much rather drink a nice Sauvignon Blanc, Viognier, or Gewurtztraminer. All have much more flavor and character than those overoaked Chardonnays.

Kenny

Thomaso276
01-18-07, 02:37
Chivas Regal makes a great wine substitute!

MCSE
11-05-08, 23:30
Make A Wish is an Argentine foundation supported by BARTS (among others) and they (among other activities) they try to keep underage girls away from prostitution. As a mamber of this foundation, my wish would be to contact these former underage prostitutes to help them to stay away from that illegal and disgusting activity and perhaps hire them to do the cleanning in our owned apartments and be supported by the distinguished members of this forum among others, however, my actual news is the foundation is organizing a fine (high end) auction of Catena Zapata wines next Monday Nov. 10th in el Palacio Duhau, Park Hyatt, conveniently located at Alvear av. 1661 (close from Black's)

It's a great opporunity to support this foundation, and purchase high end wines.

Links:

http://www.makeawish.org.ar/
http://www.barts.com.ar
http://www.buenosaires.park.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp