PDA

View Full Version : Bad Rental Experiences

El Perro
02-26-07, 23:24
I provide this as a public service to all AP members. As we know there are many unscrupulous types in BA lurking about to weasel away your money.

As many of you know I returned to BA about a month ago after an expensive and cold sojourn to Spain. I dicked around getting an apartment set up for my return here and booked a place for a month upon recommendation from a local friend, at the last minute. My friend knew the owners from a club they belong to, but didn't know them too well, which she now confirms. The agency is "MySpaceBA". The top floor apartment which I booked was not supposed to be ready for my first 3 days so I opted to stay in a 1st floor apartment in the same building, and then move up. Same owner) I don't feel like boring you with all the nasty details, but suffice to say, the 1st floor apartment was not completely up to snuff. Foremost was that the tv was not there. This was corrected in a day with much "riding" of the principals on my part. Upon moving to the 8th floor I found in short order that the shower was a major problem as it was impossible to use it without the water being scalding or frigid. After following instructions as to how best use the shower it was clear there was a problem that was not going to be easily solved. Again, after much "riding" I accepted the offer to return to the 1st floor. (I will add here that there were many other issues which were small but very irritating-such as not being able to retrieve my phone messages because the "code" had been changed and the owner did not know the new code. She was supposed to contact the phone company and get a new code-was never done) Anyhow upon returning to the 1st floor things calmed down a bit. There were still some aggravations, but not severe, and so no angry phone calls from me to the agency. This brings us to this week. I had planned to find a new long term place, but did not find one to my liking. I informed the agency that if the 1st floor apt. Had not been rented I would like to stay another month while I continue my search. They replied Friday that would be ok and would get back with me. This evening I received an email from them about our continued arrangement. I include this email below for your amusement:

Hola Wilbur (not my real name-added to protect my flimsy reputation)

About your new contract.

Payment details:

Price for rent: us$ 850 per month (1 month = 30 nights)

Period rental: March 1 to April 1st (31 nights)

Price for the rental period: us$ 878

Maid Service: us$ 25

Admin Fee: us$ 35

Extra charge for check out on Sunday April 1st: us$ 20

Total amount to pay: us$ 958 (cash, dollars or pesos are fine)

Damage Deposit: us$ 750 the same that you have paid before.

Please, let me know if you are going to leave on April 1st or if you prefer to leave on Saturday in that case the payment details wil be:

Us$ 850 rent.

Maid service + admin fees: us$ 60

Balance: us$ 910

Damage deposit: us$ 750

Saludos,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This information was not kindly received by yours truly.

1. I am being charged for 1 fucking day extra because the month has 31 days?

2. The maid service per the website description of the apartment indicates that it is gratis.

3. I am expected to pay ANOTHER deposit to these assholes!

Increible! I have left a phone message tonight with these cocksuckers indicating I will be leaving Wednesday as originally planned. I fully expect some fireworks before I leave. I am scrambling to find new digs. While these people are scumbags, I have played a role in this fiasco by taking care of the original booking very late in the game, and of course should have found another place and not chanced a continued relationship after the early problems. My fault there.

So there you have it- a nasty little combination of my being remiss about a few things coupled with some mercenary bags of shit. As always do your research beforehand.

Dogg

Stowe
02-27-07, 01:49
DB,

Sorry to see you had this experience. The more I read the posts of those like yourself living in BA the more it appears that it is the exception rather than the rule that the owners handle things professionally and ethically.

Buenas Suerte.

Stowe

Moore
02-27-07, 02:23
The more I read the posts of those like yourself living in BA the more it appears that it is the exception rather than the rule that the owners handle things professionally and ethically.You are joking, right? Professional and ethical are the last two adjectives that come to mind when describing owners in BsAs.

PS Doggboy: Never try to count days with an Argentine. You will never understand exactly what 2 weeks of vacation or one month of rent mean. Your 30/31 day difference is normal, though they should have waived 1/30th of the price regardless.

El Perro
02-27-07, 02:45
PS Doggboy: Never try to count days with an Argentine. You will never understand exactly what 2 weeks of vacation or one month of rent mean. Your 30/31 day difference is normal, though they should have waived 1/30th of the price regardless.I plan to discuss with them my 2 day "discount" for 28 day February.;)

Stowe
02-27-07, 03:08
Moore,

The reason I posted that is because the owner of the apartment that I rent when I visit has been pretty darn trustworthy and reliable.

When I suggested a microwave would be nice he added one.

Granted I haven't had a problem. THAT is when you know who the good owners are.

Suerte.

Stowe

Hunt99
02-27-07, 13:11
Moore,

I read your initial comment as saying just the opposite of what you intended to write, Stowe. I confess I had to read your post twice to understand exactly what you meant.

DB, thanks for sharing your bad experience with us.

El Perro
02-27-07, 13:31
Moore read your initial comment as saying just the opposite of what you intended to write, Stowe. I confess I had to read your post twice to understand exactly what you meant.

DB, thanks for sharing your bad experience with us.Yes, Stowe's sentence structure is almost as poor as is mine.:) I am on the horn today lining things up. Thanks to the numerous fellows on the board who have offered advise via pms. I cleared up a few things with the agency today but I am still pissed and looking elsewhere.

Daddy Rulz
02-28-07, 03:49
Just wondering, is it possible they may mean that your original deposit stays?

"Damage Deposit: us$ 750 the same that you have paid before." This could be bad English, in Spanish it could be something along the lines of Egual, like the same.

Or they could be trying to fuck you. Both are possible. Did you photocopy the bills you gave them for the deposit to make sure you get the same ones back?

El Perro
02-28-07, 09:55
Just wondering, is it possible they may mean that your original deposit stays?

"Damage Deposit: us$ 750 the same that you have paid before." This could be bad English, in Spanish it could be something along the lines of Egual, like the same.

Or they could be trying to fuck you. Both are possible. Did you photocopy the bills you gave them for the deposit to make sure you get the same ones back?Right you are Master Rulz. I discussed many issues yesterday with them, and they were not looking for another deposit. Also they eventually admitted the maid service was included (eventually) They are still shitheads who are intent on squeezing every last dime out of you and providing poor service. I check out of here tomorrow and will decide today my destination. Looks like San Telmo, or just over the border in Monserrat.

Daddy Rulz
02-28-07, 11:26
Don't forget that styling barrio near La Recoletta that is full of young poor Argy quim. Close to many popular discos and restaurants. Rents are still very cheap and many of the homes have living room / terrazas due to missing roofs.