PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Converters and Plug Adaptors

Jackson
01-01-05, 01:00
Thread Starter.

Coolman
07-20-05, 03:37
What kind of AC travel adaptors do I need for the Buenos Aires area? I am from California, USA. Does Argentina use a 2 or 3 prong AC connector and what is the shape and voltage used?

Thanks

Thomaso276
07-20-05, 12:13
You can buy transformers (transformadors) here for less money than in the States. Go to any small hardware, electrical store. They come in different size watts (50, 75,150, 300) and the larger ones have up to three connections for USA type plugs. For example to run my DVD and Stereo I use a 300 because together they pull about 200. To run a clock radio or electrical toothbrush I use a 50. By the way clock radios from the states will not keep accurate time because they have different Hz. My radio is 60 Hz; power here is 50 so the clock is always flashing. They also have special ones for heat appliances like hair dryers, irons.

ComeOnDown
07-20-05, 12:24
You can buy the plug adaptors in any local hardware (ferreteria) The voltage transformers are a little difficult to find -if you really need them all the EASY hardware chains have them.

Thomaso276
11-22-05, 19:07
I would like to bring down a multi handset cordless 5.8ghz phone from the States because they are about half of the prices here. Looking at Uniden, Vtech, Panasonics. Uniden seems to get best reviews. However, today I was advised that there are issues with cordless phones in Argentina when used with a transformer to alter power. I was advised that USA cordless phones do not function well, if at all, in BA. Problem with the base phone.

Anyone have any info on this. I would hate to have a system brought down to find out it doesn't work well - or at all.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

I brought a cordless telephone from the USA last year. It worked for about one day, and then my line into my apartment failed. I was later advised by the Telcom tech that the problem was that my USA cordless telephone did not interface with the Argentina telephone system correctly. In other words, the problem wasn't the radio transmission between the phone and the base station, or with the power converter, it was between the base station and the Argentine telephone system.

Thanks,

Jackson

Punter 127
11-22-05, 19:49
I would like to bring down a multi handset cordless 5.8ghz phone from the States because they are about half of the prices here. Looking at Uniden, Vtech, Panasonics. Uniden seems to get best reviews. However, today I was advised that there are issues with cordless phones in Argentina when used with a transformer to alter power. I was advised that USA cordless phones do not function well, if at all, in BA. Problem with the base phone.

Anyone have any info on this. I would hate to have a system brought down to find out it doesn't work well - or at all.

Thanks. TomI'm using a cheap 2.4 GHz cordless with my Vonage that I brought from the states, I have also used it on the local land line and it works fine. You will need a transformer or find a dual voltage power input for your phones base/chargers. The dual input would be a better option if you can find it. Any of the phones you mentioned should work fine, as I said just be careful of the power supply.

Moore
11-22-05, 20:12
As Punter wrote, you will need a transformer. Talking from experience, if you plug it in using a simple extension apparatus that simply enables you to plug the US prongs in here, it will begin smoking and the back will blow off about 15 seconds later.

You can buy a decent cordless phone here for about 150 pesos. IMO thats easiest and not very expensive.

AllIWantIsLove
12-14-05, 01:05
Just unpacked my Vonage router. As I expected the power adapter will not work in Argentina (it requires 120VAC 60Hz) I didn't expect the power adapter to be so damn heavy. So now, instead of buying a power adapter here in the States which will work in Argentina I'd like to buy the power adapter there.

Does the place on Riobamba carry power adapters? If not can anyone suggest another place which would?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi AllIWantisLove,

La Casa del Transformador [electric transformers & converters]
Parana 220 (h) , 4371-1023 (w)

If they don't have it, they will build it for you while you wait.

Thanks,

Jackson

Quester3
12-14-05, 01:49
Couple things about electricity which is the only useful help I can offer as I don't know BA and won't be there till the end of the month.

First - don't worry about the 60hz cycle vs. The 50hz cycle requirement. While the US is 110/120v 60 hz cycle, and most the rest of the world is 220/240 50hz cycle, the only time the 50hz cycle will affect you if you plug a North American 60hz cycle device into one at 50hz is a) if your device is exremely old and uses the cycle time as a meter for timing, which worst cases means your clock timing will be off a bit. Or be) if you have a motorized device which also uses the hz cycle to sync the motor timing - which basically means your hair blower will run slower. Again not a major issue. Note that this is separate from the issue of plugging in a higher watt drawing devide into typical foreign outlets that weren't designed for it - which can blow the outlet as in the US people expect and get full watt rated outlets even in bathrooms while in many foreign countries that is not true.

Second - regarding the voltage, to change a 220/240v stream to 110/120, there are converters and transformers. Since you say your vonnage adapter is not dual voltage rated, what you will need then specifically is a step-down transformer (step down because you need one that steps down the 220volt to 110volt) a converter is only for smaller type simple electronic devices which actually given what I expect to be a fairly low wattage rating on a vonnage device to be you might be able to get away with, but why chance it - just get a step down transformer.

A converter can damage sensitive electronic devices like computers, PDAs, etc and every single one comes with a tag or insert warning you not to use those with devides like that. Other than extremely small motorized devices, anything you would consider larger motor devices or sensitive electronics should use a step down transformer for 220 to 110, or step up transformer for 110 to 220.

As for where to get one in BA, wish I could help but no idea other than I've read a few posts here about a family owned shop named El or Il Faro? Something about how you can buy surge protectors with combo slots that will accept both US stype and Argentina plugs. I woud assume that place either carries or could tell you where to buy one.

Easy Go
12-14-05, 02:11
A power difference worth mentioning. I've always wondered why my dual-voltage US equipment with three prong plugs always worked fine in BA when using a two prong adaptor but never worked with a three prong adaptor. It turns out that the active and neutral wires are reversed in Argentina so you need an adaptor that crosses the wires back to the "normal" wires on a US plug.

http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-countries-with-mains-power-plugs-voltages-and-frequencies

Anybody know where to get an adaptor that does that?

Quester3
12-14-05, 03:13
I'm not pimping these guys over any other - just linking them as an example. Although I will say that I've always bought stuff online from them with zero problems and always gotten what I ordered very fast. Basically Amazon. Com or Dell stype of constant email contacts telling you when they received your order, your order shipped, etc.

http://www.magellans.com/store/guide/Argentina?Args=

(that lands you directly on their shop by destination page for Argentina but you can just go from to shop by category too)

Anyways - the reason why your device didnt work when using your grounded E type adapter plug (e. G. 3 prong with lower two in diagonal slant pattern) is that the adapter you had was actually not the right one. There are two types of grounded E type adapter plugs that look identical but one is the Australia design type that has the neutral and ground wires reveresed versus the Argentina one. You just have to make sure that when you buy the adapter it's not one rated as Australia or most likely you'll get the incorrect netural vs ground.

I guess I'll find out if the D and E adapter plugs I bought from Magellan's work but I would be fairly surprised as all the other's I've bought traveling has worked fine when I bought the item with their by-destination selector. Worst case since I'm handly with electronics I'll reverse the wires myself if the grounded plug adapter I got is incorrectly wired.

Easy Go
12-14-05, 05:20
I'm not pimping these guys over any other - just linking them as an example. Although I will say that I've always bought stuff online from them with zero problems and always gotten what I ordered very fast. Basically Amazon. Com or Dell stype of constant email contacts telling you when they received your order, your order shipped, etc.

http://www.magellans.com/store/guide/Argentina?Args=

(that lands you directly on their shop by destination page for Argentina but you can just go from to shop by category too)

Anyways - the reason why your device didnt work when using your grounded E type adapter plug (e. G. 3 prong with lower two in diagonal slant pattern) is that the adapter you had was actually not the right one. There are two types of grounded E type adapter plugs that look identical but one is the Australia design type that has the neutral and ground wires reveresed versus the Argentina one. You just have to make sure that when you buy the adapter it's not one rated as Australia or most likely you'll get the incorrect netural vs ground.

I guess I'll find out if the D and E adapter plugs I bought from Magellan's work but I would be fairly surprised as all the other's I've bought traveling has worked fine when I bought the item with their by-destination selector. Worst case since I'm handly with electronics I'll reverse the wires myself if the grounded plug adapter I got is incorrectly wired.The Magellan page has a single model "Grounding Adaptor Plug E" that is says it works for both Australia and Argentina. Since we know those countries wire the plug differently, my guess is that you'll get to reverse the wires. Let us know how it turns out.

Andres
12-14-05, 10:09
This question is so often asked that it should be added to a FAQ list.

On Parana St. Between Bartolomé Mitre St. And Corrientes Ave. (a 300-meter long commercial zone) you will find no less that 20 stores devotes to audio / video, electronics, lightning and such.

Alamtec is one of the oldest and most famous stores for transformers. They have tens of models, either imported or made by them. It should be at the 200s of Parana St. Quality is acceptable, Soviet-style (sturdy and ugly, but useful)

One of the nicest things of BA is the zoning for several services and products (for instance, Libertad St. For jewelry and watches, Cordoba Ave. At the 4500-5000 for outlet apparel, Talcahuano St. 100-400 for musical instruments, etc) Parana St. Is one of them.

My experience with transformers and adapters bought in the US and used in Argentina is that it is better to buy them in BA and not to bring one from abroad. First, because these adapters are made in China for the European market, so they have thick round plugs that don't fit argentinian fixtures (and you can hardly find such adapters in BA) And second, because they are cheaper at BA (or they used to be) so for almost the same price as a single 150 W transformer in Radio Shack, you can buy a 4-outlet 800 W transformer with filter and current damper.

Hope this helps,

Andres.

Just unpacked my Vonage router. As I expected the power adapter will not work in Argentina (it requires 120VAC 60Hz) I didn't expect the power adapter to be so damn heavy. So now, instead of buying a power adapter here in the States which will work in Argentina I'd like to buy the power adapter there.

Does the place on Riobamba carry power adapters? If not can anyone suggest another place which would?

Thanks, Bob

AllIWantIsLove
12-14-05, 14:58
Thanks very much Andres. Sorry for not discovering the earlier posts. I did a search on "Vonage". But did not think about the fact that the question might have come up in other contexts.

Bob.

This question is so often asked that it should be added to a FAQ list.

On Parana St. Between Bartolomé Mitre St. And Corrientes Ave. (a 300-meter long commercial zone) you will find no less that 20 stores devotes to audio / video, electronics, lightning and such.

<snip>

Hope this helps,

Andres.

Hojo
06-06-06, 00:01
I found this United States adapter in a small mom and pop electronics store near Florida and Cordoba.

This works great with most US electronics such as laptops, cell phones and digital camera with international power supplys that say the following on the label: 100-240V 50/60Hz.

If the label on your US electonics only says 110V 60Hz, you will need a transformer as mentioned below.

The label on the Buenos Aires clock in my apartment says it is 220V-230V 50Hz here in BA, what ever that means.

The attached pictures show the adapter I bought and the Buenos Aires electrical outlet in my apartment.

Pop till you drop,

Hojo

El Aleman
06-06-06, 06:37
Here comes a warning from the board's electrical engineer:

I sincerely doubt that the thing shown on the pictures contains ANY transformer, and if, only an extremely small one that might accomodate a cell phone charger or similar small thing.

Most likely, the item is just a plugging adapter from the standard Argentine 3 prong socket to a variety of other plugs: U. S. European 2 prong, etc. It may contain a Diode that reduces POWER (not Voltage! Into half when used with resistive loads like light bulbs. On a computer power supply, or a stereo, or any charger, it will likely create smoke signals.

A real transformer is a bulky, heavy thing. It will weight something like a pound per 100 Watts of power it can handle. A bit less for big ones.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. Not even for 9 pesos.

El Alemán

=============================================

Hi El Aleman,

Thanks for point out the difference between an "adaptor" and a "transformer".

An "adaptor" is a physical device that changes the configuration of the actual plug.

A "transformer" is an electronic device that changes the voltage and/or the frequency of electrical power.

Some transformers are also designed to output the transformed electrical power to a different style socket than the one that it is plugged into.

Thanks,

Jackson

Hojo
06-06-06, 09:22
The picture shown in my first post "does not" include a transformer.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, you must use it with electronics that have labels that say:

100-240V 50/60Hz.

Most cell phones, digital cameras, and laptops are designed to be used in most countries without the need for a transformer while globe trotting.

The labels are on all electronics devices and are on the power supply for your cell phone cammera, and laptop. This is not a free lunch because we paid for it. Sony, Toshiba, and Ericson damn well made sure the whole market did. These electronics gadgets only need a physical interface to let you plug the US 2 prong plug into the Argentina 3 prong plug (pictured in my first post - "AC Adapter.jpg").

I have included a picture of the label on my camera and my cell phone.

WARNING:

Again I'll say, if the label only says 110V 60Hz, don't plug it into the outlet here in Argentina. You will need a transformer. That is the big bulky thing El Aleman mentions below.

If you want to make sure you can call the tech support number for your electronics gadget. I'm sure you local Best Buy, Circuit City and Good Guys sale man can answer this question also.

My laptop, cell phone and cammera have been pluged in all night here in Buenos Aires, and everyting works fine. I bought all these toys in the USA.

Pop till you drop,

hojo

Punter 127
06-06-06, 09:56
Hojo is correct, most electronics today are sold for a world market and only need an adapter, (check the label as Hojo said) even my Vonage box is dual voltage, but I know some Vonage boxes are not, so again check the label.

Capt Dave
06-06-06, 10:54
Even though most laptops (and many other chargers) will run on 220-240 volts if the say that on the appliance / charger, but electric clocks lose 10 minutes per hour running on 50 cycles instead of 60, even with a transformer!

Gets you an extra 10 minutes from clock-watching chicas, but other then that it's a problem!

If anyone wants a REAL good deal on 3 or 4 cheap WalMart clocks I brought down once, I've got some!

:)

David

Sportsman
07-28-06, 00:39
From Thiefs at Ezeiza thread.

Now I have to shop for a new kit that is as good as the one I had. It was in a nice hard shell case with a transformer and five different types of adapter plugs. I haven't found one with those accessories yet.
Sporty.

I found that kit at WalMart (in the US) Don't know if they still stock them, but it was a handy set!

David.
I got mine at Bestbuy.I went to Walmart again last night and found a kit for about $15. It looked cheap and flimsy and appears it does not accommodate a 3 prong grounded plug so I passed. Best Buy website has two kits available, one for low wattage appliance (under 50W) and one for higher wattage up to 1600W. Don't feel like having to buy two kits so I passed also. Radio Shack website has a nice set for $30 but it's for mail order only and I don't feel like waiting for it.

Stopped by Circuit City today and found a kit made by RCA for $35. (Didn't know RCA still exists) Pretty much like the one I had. Hard shell case with 5 adapter plugs, the transformer has a 50W/1600W selector switch and takes a 3 prong grounded plug, so that's what I got. Opearational test next week ;) but I'm sure it'd work. Thanks guys for the help.

Punter 127
07-28-06, 00:46
That's the one I have, I thought I got it at BestBuy but it could have been Circuit City,:eek: sorry. BTW it works fine in BsAs.

Stowe
07-28-06, 01:05
Sportsman.

I had that one also but it was so heavy that it often fell out of the wall socket. Eventually, it fell out of one that was above the bath sink and busted. I bought one that is very light but still does what I need.

Suerte.

Stowe

Sportsman
07-28-06, 01:16
I know want you mean Stowe, my last one was heavy too. I usually put something underneath the transformer to support the weight. The hard shell case came in handy for that few times.

SexMachine
04-14-07, 19:36
I saw a couple of vendors on the street selling the universal worldwide adapters from 3 pesos to 10 pesos depending on the number of plugs. They are also easily available throughout the city in electronics and hardware stores. So as long as your device's label reads 100V-240V~50/60 HZ, you can use these. No need to buy the $20.00 to $ 30.00 universal kits in your country to bring it here.

Ampfofu
04-14-07, 20:21
On my last trip, I forgot my transformer, so I had to buy one In Argentina. I stayed in Palermo, I saw a store that sold electronics so I walked in and WOW they had a transformer for everything. I bought a big one for like 30 pesos, and it looked old fashoned and bulky, but it was perfect. And it was not the type to Hang out of the outlet, it had a cord on it and it sat on the floor. Perfect for appliances

ComeOnDown
01-09-08, 09:45
On a recent trip to the US I encountered a problem with regards to electronic sockets. I bought a cellphone in Argentina which came with a charger having a diagonal V shaped plug. I could not charge my phone in the US because I don't have those universal adapator kits or something.

Finally found an electric socket adaptor for the flat socket of the US. A man from a local ferreteria had some in stock. However I had to buy two sockets, the first socket to convert the Argentine to a european round plug and then the round plug to the US flat plug. It may look clumsy but it worked. The ferreteria is located in the corner of Esmeralda and M.T. Alvear beside the lotto outlet.

Aqualung
01-09-08, 13:05
All the different types of plugs can end up being a pain in the ass. But I found one that's universal. I don't remember where I bought it but a good place to search would be the place that has an add for transformers at this site. (Look down on the left margin - Paraná street)

Ricardo
01-12-08, 12:29
I have fried a US purchased CD player and High-end radio when the 110 to 220 convertor I used apparently malfunctioned.

I assume the items are beyond repair.

Does anyone know if my fears are warranted or where I might get the components repaired?

Help and thanks!

El Queso
01-12-08, 23:22
All the different types of plugs can end up being a pain in the ass. But I found one that's universal. I don't remember where I bought it but a good place to search would be the place that has an add for transformers at this site. (Look down on the left margin - Paraná street)Yeah - the Casa de Transformadores. On Parana near the corner of Peron.

Just metnioning it because I bought a cable for my laptop's transformer the other day, when Dell couldn't ship me a new one (even though they shipped me the wrong one when I was in the States.

This place has about everything electronic you can imagine, including universal-plug power strips, power converters and conversion plugs.

Erkinator73
01-13-08, 00:37
I have fried a US purchased CD player and High-end radio when the 110 to 220 convertor I used apparently malfunctioned.

I assume the items are beyond repair.

Does anyone know if my fears are warranted or where I might get the components repaired?

Help and thanks!Ricardo,

You probably just blew a fuse (usually between the power supply and main electronics) which should be easy to replace. Open up the covers and take a look.

Erkinator

Trblmakr
03-03-08, 04:06
I was planning on bringing my iPhone with me when I travel to BA in a couple of weeks. I bought a converter, but now I am a little scared to use it.

Anyone use a converter to charge an iPhone?

Gipse
03-03-08, 19:50
Trblmakr,

Your iPhone charger's functional voltage range is 110V-240V. You can verify this by reading the back of the charger. Meaning you don't need a converter for your iPhone in Argentina or any other country. All you need is a socket adapter (costs $2 - $4 in the US)

Happy hunting.

Gipse

James Bond 007
10-10-08, 02:23
Are most outlets in Argentina of the european type (2 round prongs) or the australian type (angled type) I already have the european type adapter, but wondering if I need to get the angled socket adapter.

Sportsman
10-10-08, 02:32
Are most outlets in Argentina of the european type (2 round prongs) or the australian type (angled type) I already have the european type adapter, but wondering if I need to get the angled socket adapter.They use both. Some outlets accept both 2 round prongs and angles type but angle type are more common.

Aqualung
10-10-08, 10:50
Are most outlets in Argentina of the european type (2 round prongs) or the australian type (angled type) I already have the european type adapter, but wondering if I need to get the angled socket adapter.The round prongs were universal here at one time but most newer places now have the angled type with many sockets adaptable to both. You may even come across the American type (two flat parallel prongs)

I wouldn't bother carting around a pile of adapters with you. You can get any kind you need here very inexpensively.

If you are staying at a hotel they usually have a selection in stock if you ask at the front desk.

MiddleAgeGuy
10-10-08, 15:18
Even if you get the adapters in BA, which is easy enough to do, note that in BA most are angled but once you get out in the provinces, most are the round prong type.

James Bond 007
11-05-08, 13:59
I didn't think too much of the adapter before arriving in BA thinking it'll be easy to buy one locally.

One thing to note is that a lot of stores are closed on Sunday so you may be out of luck until Monday and that means not being able to charge your laptop, phone, etc. If you are staying at a hotel, I suppose they may have one for you to use though. You do need to get the angled one for use in Buenos Aires.

Capn Rick
11-05-08, 20:38
To get around in most places in LatAm, I use an (1) angled adaptor with the round prong socket on the back (2) a round prong adaptor with a two-prong US blade-type plug on the back. If you have an item with a 3-prong plug, the third prong (I believe it is a Neutral / ground) it fits outside the adaptor (3) a six-plug extension strip, and (4) a 200 amp current converter I got off ebay for USD20. I now have 4 of them since I live here full time.

Suerte

Sportsman
11-05-08, 23:06
When I was in BsAs last month, I picked up a 4 outlet power strip at a local store for A$R34.50. It plugs into a 3 prong angle socket. 6 outlet power strip was also available for A$R 38. What I like about this power strip is it takes pretty much any type of plug, US 2 prong, US grounded 3 prong, European round prong, and Argentina 2 or 3 prong angle plugs. Since it is only a power strip (adapter) and not a transformer, I only use it to charge my electronic equipment that takes dual voltage such as laptop, iPOD, cell phone, speakers, and razor.

James Bond 007
11-05-08, 23:22
Sportsman, that's a neat device. I've seen the power strip with the european round prong and the argentinian angled prong sold at a few places in BA, but having the US parallel prongs sockets is a nice feature.

When I was in BsAs last month, I picked up a 4 outlet power strip at a local store for A$R34.50. It plugs into a 3 prong angle socket. 6 outlet power strip was also available for A$R 38. What I like about this power strip is it takes pretty much any type of plug, US 2 prong, US grounded 3 prong, European round prong, and Argentina 2 or 3 prong angle plugs. Since it is only a power strip (adapter) and not a transformer, I only use it to charge my electronic equipment that takes dual voltage such as laptop, iPOD, cell phone, speakers, and razor.

Bartonsky
11-28-08, 03:27
I am confused between a plug adapter and a current converter? I found this adapter that seems to do all adapters in the world but now I don't know if it will convert the right electrical output.

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Smart-All-in-One-Adapter-Plug/dp/B0010BLSAY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1227849751&sr=1-3

Daddy Rulz
11-28-08, 09:56
I am confused between a plug adapter and a current converter? I found this adapter that seems to do all adapters in the world but now I don't know if it will convert the right electrical output.

http://www.amazon.com/Travel-Smart-All-in-One-Adapter-Plug/dp/B0010BLSAY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1227849751&sr=1-3A plug adapter allows you to plug your USA product into wall plugs from different countries. The thing in your post is an adaptor only.

A current converter changes the duel leg 220 in south america into something that resembles the 110 we have in the States.

Depending on what you take down you may or may not need it. Most laptops will accept either voltage (look on the big ass box in the middle of the power cord) as do most battery chargers for digital cams.

Look at Sportman's post below those are available all over BsAs for around 10 bucks, converters can be bought for about 20-30 bucks in almost any hardware store.

AllIWantIsLove
01-26-09, 15:04
This store has been recommended various times here. The purpose of this post is simply to provide ALL of the information from their business card:

Alamtec (La casa del transformador)

Paraná 220 (1017) Buenos Aires.

Tel: 4371-1023 (Rotativas) Fax: 4373-4654

Anexo I / Instrumental.

Paraná 220

Tel: 4371-1023

Anexo II / Herramientas.

Paraná 218

Tel: 4371-1074

http://www.alamtec.com.ar
www.alamtecherramientas.com.ar

Email: info@alamtec.com.ar

The clerk I talked to spoke no English. I don't know about the others.

Bob