PDA

View Full Version : BA to Montevideo. Worth it?

Tommy Thomas
03-15-07, 19:46
How much trouble is it to travel to Montevideo, Uruguay from BA? Does one fly or take a bus or? Is it a different enough place to make it worth while? For those who have been, what is it like?

Thanks

Big Bob 7
03-15-07, 20:00
It's really easy and well worth the trip (although you could have enjoyed the beach a bit more if you had gone about a month ago) Use the Buquebus ferry. It's cheap, not a customs hassle, and more dependable (considering the border closings between Argentina and Uruguay due to the factory debate on the river) Here is the link.

http://www.buquebus.com/cache/HomeARG.html

I have done it twice and prefer to travel first class because they have tables where you can sit more comfortably and also a snack bar and a special waiting room with snacks while you are waiting to board. To be honest with you I don't remember exactly how much the tickets were but I think that they ran about $150USD round trip. Take the express shuttle.

Exon123
03-15-07, 20:16
How much trouble is it to travel to Montevideo, Uruguay from BA? Does one fly or take a bus or? Is it a different enough place to make it worth while? For those who have been, what is it like? Thanks.The boat is far less hassle than a plane because of security and airport tax's ect, ect.

Montevideo is a shit hole of a town and once their you'll long to be back in B. A.

Exon

Hunt99
03-15-07, 20:17
There's a long thread on this already. Why not discuss this there instead of opening up a new thread?

My post in that thread:

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showthread.php?p=356402&#post356402

Thomaso276
03-15-07, 21:05
First case of dengue fever in Montevideo reported on the news today.

Watch out for those skeeters!

Daddy Rulz
03-15-07, 22:04
You could take the train to Tigre then the boat to Carmello, with that asshole Flexible Horn. Maybe he would manage to get you stuck in some shithole bar with no pussy and no taxi so you have to wade a fucking river while walking through a fucking thunderstorm just to get back to the main street where you get to walk to the fucking boat in the rain while wading across the fucking streets when you had a taxi that would have fucking taking you right where you wanted to go all the time winging so much like a fucking baby about the rain that you give him your brolly.

Man those were GREAT times.

Uh sorry for the rant, never been to MV.

Big Bob 7
03-16-07, 00:19
I think that people who talk about how lame Montevideo is are usually focusing on the Ciudad Vieja area. It is the colonial part of the city and it is pretty run down and surrounded by slums. It can be dangerous at night as there are a lot of predatory locals just kind of hanging around waiting for a dumb tourist to get drunk and go staggering off down a dark alley. I think that people are partially right for having this opinion because if you have ever been to a real colonial style city (like Pelourinho in Salvador, Brazil for example) la Ciudad Vieja will seem like a really sorry neglected distant uncle with rickets, leukemia, and Alzheimer's. There are some fun touristy type clubs and restaurants down there so there is some action and nightlife. Also for some reason although everything else in Montevideo is more expensive, getting some pussy there is actually not that much more expensive anymore. In fact, in some places it can be cheaper for the same quality than in BA (especially due to the damage brought on by some of our recent broomhead guests from abroad) I think that if you want be in very pleasant surroundings and have access to some nightlife and great food it is a much better deal to stay in the beach area of Pocitos. I loved it up there. It is very upscale and much safer than downtown. I great hotel up that way is the Punta Trouville. This place is fabulous and for $45USD per night you get a great comfortable room, Internet access, and free breakfast. To me the beach in Pocitos is really much nicer than the beaches closer to downtown and if you really still want to make it down there all you have to do is jump in a taxi and your there. But honestly, Pocitos is so nice that there were days where I didn't even bother to go downtown because if you are staying on the beach there you have everything you need right there around you within walking distance.

El Perro
03-16-07, 00:30
Nice post. I've been mulling over the upcoming visa run and not wanting to be bored to tears in Colonia again. That's a nice price on the hotel. So, it's between Montevideo, or farther afield, Valparaiso.