PDA

View Full Version : Renting Apartments

Porthos66
03-26-07, 16:13
Hi Guys,

Me and my girlfriend are looking to rent a place unfurnished for a year. We have been running into a few problems though. First off they want a cosigner from BA that makes $2000 pesos a month. Well since I am not from BA I don't have anyone to sign for me. The other problem is that if I can't find one they want $9000 US dollars as a deposit for a $400 dollar a month apartment which is insane. I live in NYC and have never seen anything like that.

Does anyone have any suggestions or places I might go to find a place?

Thanks,

Greg

El Perro
03-26-07, 16:47
P66,

There is alot of info in this forum about renting apartments, you might want to take a look. Your situation is different however from most in that you are looking for 1. Unfurnished and 2. A long term lease. Not impossible to find, but takes more doing, and made more difficult in that you are not here. With enough leg work you can find a place without a "guarantia", and while you may have to pony up a few months rent in advance, it won't be the absurd amount you were quoted by whatever ripoff cocksucker you were dealing with. Also, remember that most unfurnished apartments are very unfurnished. That is, you will likely have to buy a refrigerator, and in some cases I have seen, a stove. Makes the whole undertaking more expensive, and more of a pain in the ass. Unless you are moving down with a ton of stuff, you might be better served to rent a furnished place short term, and look for a longer term situation once you get here. That would be much easier, but even so, finding long term rentals here is not as easy as you would think. Alot of factors in play. The market here for expats is very much tailored for the short termers.

Suerte

MCSE
03-26-07, 18:17
I agree to Doggyboy:

This is usual, because, in Buenos Aires a guarantee is required, this is a person who commit his property to be sold in case any problem with the rented property happens. The reason is the law is very permissive with tenants (this tendency it's often called "garantismo") So basically no one wants to have a place occupied and be responsable for paying building expenses and taxes with a guest living there and hard to remove when no influences nor knowledge about procedures on the lanlord or landlord's advisors.

Unfurnished apartments as stated by Doggyboy are really unfurnished, and also does not includes any utilities.

Also, the minimal term is 2 years of lease, so 1 year it's considered as a short term rental, in fact you may not legally sign a contract for 1 year, you should sign 2 contracts for 6 months each one, and that is legal.

Electronics, as microwave oven, refrigerator are much more expensive in Argentina than in the US.

Finally, you say in NY that does not happens (to you) but when you don't have a social security # landlords may require up to 1 year of deposit depiste eviction laws are more to the side of the landlord. Not to menction that even a motorhome rental could cost twice than a luxury apartment in Buenos Aires.

My advise it's to you find a deal in BARTS www.barts.com.ar for a nice apartment for one year:) for a furnished apartment.

Master J
04-09-07, 04:09
I usually stay in Palermo but my apartment at Beruti and Godoy Cruz will not be available until later in May. I have a unit reserved in Palermo Hollywood, Godoy Cruz and Gorritti. Seems to be ahouse, but there are parts of Plaermo Hollywood that do feel like Soho safe. A little deserted. Any comments would be appreciated or if know of a reliable agent. I miss Mayra.

Big Bob 7
04-09-07, 07:55
I usually stay in Palermo but my apartment at Beruti and Godoy cruz will not be available until later in May. I have a unit reserved in Palermo Hollywood, Godoy Cruz and Gorritti. Seems to be ahouse, but there are parts of Plaermo Hollywood that do feel like Soho safe. A little deserted. Any comments would be appreciated or if know of a reliable agent. I miss Mayra.In my opinion Godoy Cruz is Godoy Cruz. It looks like a bomb fell on BA over there and it is "tranny central" but maybe that's what you are looking for. There are a set of train tracks there at Godoy Cruz that form a physical barrier making it necessary to walk to Santa Fe in order to cross over to the rest of Palermo. These tracks are bordered by warehouses (some of which are abandoned) and the area looks desolate during the day. I can only image how it is at night. Having said that, there are some great restaurants on Gorriti over by Fitz Roy. Without seeing the place I would say that it would be difficult for me to make a decision but IMHO Godoy Cruz and Gorrito is "skid row" Palermo style.

ICantFukEnough
04-15-07, 03:57
Call Ezequiel Lopez 155-569-6081 from LivinginBaires (argentinatravelnet. Com)

They have nice place for long term rent. For 9,000usd you could look at buying I had offers for apartment for 37,000 usd cash down plus 60 quotas and the place is yours if you want to sell it after awhile. But not the place I would move with a girlfriend she would not last long.

Master J
04-22-07, 22:45
I usually stay in a 1 bedroom near Godoy Cruz and Beruti. Nice building, quiet bedroom. Quiet street. Only drawback is the 24 security and the size.400sq. I saw a rental in Palermo on Reynolds page for the 4800 block of Libertador. I had stayed on Oro and Libertador and although the apartment was great, the Grand Prix from the street can be 24 hrs. Is this location perhaps any better being a tad further north? A two bedroom for $710 seems ok, no? Anyone have a real good agent for Palermo, I dearly miss Mayra.

Hound
04-23-07, 14:13
The restaurant Kansas is on the 4800 block of Del Libertador so the apt would be directly across the street. No collectivo service along this stretch--good for noise quality, bad for tranportation needs. Short walk to the Las Canitas and all it offers.

Master J
06-27-07, 11:01
So I am planning a trip for September (#(9) and am opting for this unit from Reynolds, first time, on Libertador 4900, which is a bit of a new area for me. Can anyone tell me if Libertador, even on the ninth floor will seem like a grand prix? From the fotos it seems like the balcony faces the golf course and there is one of the traffic cirlces? I am renting here because the unit is over 1,000 sq and is a 2 bedroom. It appears as if it more Belgrano or Las Canistas, then Palermo, but it seems close enough? My plan is to have some company stay with me for part of the time, so I may need the space? Ex and 2 kids, sounds like a great time, no?

Reynolds by the way is asking for the 2 week rental (1200 + deposit all in cash. I hate to travel with that much on me, so I will offer travelers Checks. Anyone have a particularly bad experience, can it be with the owner or the agency? They probalby will bark over the American Express checks?

I rented 6 times and because the same person knew me the deposit was 250 or 300. Any thoughts on this location or any lead. I usually like top notch digs. I can stay in my 500sq for half the money, and have it to play, but it always seems a little tight.

Thanks.

El Perro
06-27-07, 11:33
So I am planning a trip for September (#(9) and am opting for this unit from Reynolds, first time, on Libertador 4900, which is a bit of a new area for me. Can anyone tell me if Libertador, even on the ninth floor will seem like a grand prix? From the fotos it seems like the balcony faces the golf course and there is one of the traffic cirlces? I am renting here because the unit is over 1,000 sq and is a 2 bedroom. It appears as if it more belgrano or Las Canistas, then Palermo, but it seems close enough? My plan is to have some company stay with me for part of the time, so I may need the space? Ex and 2 kids, sounds like a great time, no?

Reynold by the way is asking for the 2 week rental (1200 + deposit all in cash. I hate to travel with that much on me, so I will offer travelers Checks. Anyone have a particularly bad experience, can it be with the owner or the agency? They probalby will bark over the American Express checks?

I rented 6 times and because the same person knew me the deposit was 250 or 300. Any thoughts on this location or any lead. I usually like top notch digs. I can stay in my 500sq for half the money, and have it to play, but it always seems a little tight. Thanks.I rented from Reynolds twice in the past and they always wanted cash. I would clear anything other than hard cash with them beforehand to save yourself a problem. Seems to me that I reserved the place with a credit card deposit before getting to BA. Depending on how much money you could use as a reservation, you could limit the amount of cash carried. Yes, I think Libertador 4900 is a ways out, past the zoo. Somebody else might have more specifics about location. I would guess the 9th floor would solve any traffic noise issues. My guess is that you might have a real nice view. Suerte.

Master J
06-27-07, 11:45
I assume your experience with them was adequate. As we all know the last thing you want is to be standing on the sidewalk, looking for someone? I really appreciate your commments and taking the time to respond.

Thanks again.

Stormy
06-27-07, 12:35
Reynolds will reserve with a credit card but they want cash when you move in.

Better check with them about traveler's checks. Also, I don't think that the 9th floor will be much of a shield against traffic noise if you are facing the street.

Hound
06-27-07, 13:31
This is one take on Reynolds:

http://www.travelersdigest.com/reynolds_advisory.htm

Cash Amex t-checks at the Amex office at Plaza San Martin.

AllIWantIsLove
06-27-07, 15:26
Cash Amex t-checks at the Amex office at Plaza San Martin.Give yourself plenty of time! I must have waited at least an hour to cash some AX t-checks in (I think) February.

Bob

Thomaso276
06-27-07, 17:06
In 2002 I rented my first apartment in BA from Reynolds. Never used them again! Pricey and a little sneaky when it came to their commission. When that apartment came up for renewal and I decided to move I checked with them but found their prices were truly foreigner specials.

When I was looking to buy I checked their website and found their asking prices to be way out of line. Definitely geared towards the inexperienced foreigner who would believe everything they say.

BadMan
06-27-07, 17:22
That particular area is PRIME real estate. Quartier ( Quartier Libertador ) is building a wonderful tower on that same block. You get views of the race track and hipodromo and depending on where your window is facing you could also get a great view of all the beautiful parks in the area.

That particular area is Palermo / Las Canitas/ La Imprenta, take your pick, and it can be noisy but on the 9th floor you should be alright. You will be right down the street from all the great Las Canitas restaurants and also the Jumbo supermarket and mall, Also Sinclair restaurant is just a few blocks away. And Recoleta is about a 7 minute taxi ride away.

It definitely isn't "center" Buenos Aires, but for the type of trip you are describing it is definitely one of the nicest priciest locations in all of Buenos Aires.

I don't know about Reynolds except that Exon has peddled them in the past, Though I am sure they won't take travelers checks unless previously agreed. If you are worried about the noise, you might look at something just off of Libertador, much quieter and just as picturesque.

Bad

El Perro
06-27-07, 17:27
I never had a problem with Reynolds and I rented from them twice, though both times were over a year ago. If you get checked in by Rafael, he is a decent guy. I do agree with Thomaso that they might be a little pricey. But at this point, who ain't? Again, good luck.

Easy Go
06-27-07, 18:29
I've rented from Reynolds three times and didn't have any problems. I've found the prices competitive with anything else I've seen for short-term rentals.

The only way I've found to avoid a cash deposit is to rent with Roxana or Jackson.

Master J
06-30-07, 02:35
Some assistance appreciated. I am not a newbie, so my questions just need a little tweaking as I am a not familiar with every location that is becoming available to me for my trip in August, In addition to the one unit that I have a read on, 4900 Libertador, the unit is on the 9th floor, but the whole unit faces the main street. When I lived in Chicago I could hear the street from the 37th, and this street in non stop. So we move on as it still is a nice unit.

The other choices are 2200 Castex which I believe is in Palermo Chico. Any comments on this location? I know it is nice near the parks, but 1000 sq for a 2 bedroom, makes each room a little small, no?

The other one just popped up, on Ortega why Gasset and Soldado de la Independencia in Las Canitas, but this 2nd floor unit in on this street which appears to be the first street that leads out of Baez and the main area. Do not have a read on this area. I know this IS a main city, but I have been fortunate in finding quite zones.

Has anyone rented from Buenos Iares Housing, Beatriz before? So far Reynolds has answered all my emails, and perhaps as I might be getting hosed a little, the comfort in knowing someone will be there is always worth it.

My nice small unit on Beruti and Oro is available for $50 per, but it is a tad small.

I promise to get back to the main issues of the board after this is resolved hopefully soon. Thanking you in advance.

I attached a foto of Camerron who has retired and who was an absolute fantasy come true last trip. She will be irreplaceable! Soy triste.

Miami Bob
07-04-07, 13:31
This realtor has a bunch of listing on craig's list. 85 short term apart rentals. I've been comunicating by email. She seems reasonable. The apartments and pricing seem reasonable. They promptly respond to emails with addresses and info about each apart. Deposits via paypal, western union.

Before I experiment, I'm hoping some else knows them.

I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Bob

Master J
07-10-07, 03:18
In looking at my Las Canitas options, I found a nice apartment that is showing available from two agencies? I went with one at $740 week versus same apartment from another company at $950. What is that? Also on the higher priced listing they say no pets, or anyone under 12, and no smoking where the other agent says just no smoking.

I plan to have a friend and her sons, one baby, stay with me, part of the time, I hope most of the time. Question is if I ask the agent who has confirmed at the lesser price, what if I have someone visit me? What if her listing is not complete and she missed information? What do they mean when they ask who will be staying there, that's just me, right? I would hate to have a scene at signing or where the owner perhaps finds out from the doorman, etc. Am I worrying too much, am I safe by saying they are a visitor? If anything breaks I will still make good. Can they ask me to leave or not have anyone in the unit under this age? I know being a realtor last time I looked at my lease, in Castellano, my chicky pointed out that they can have you removed from the unit! Snow there must have been a trip, would like to hear some comments as I can't really get the picture in my mind?

Thanks

El Queso
07-10-07, 14:02
As far as when they ask who will be staying there, that does mean you. If you want your girlfriend to stay with you and have a key, you'll need to tell them she's there because they won't understand why you want a duplicate key, but otherwise it's maybe mostly going to be an issue fo whether the owner is there at signing. It's possible you could run into problems with the doorman, it just depends on how tight they are with the owner.

If you are going to have your girlfriend and her kids there at signing you may have a scene. I've rented about 10 different apartments here in BA, from two different companies. I've only had the owner NOT show up for the signing at one apartment because the owner was off skiing in Italy.

As to whether or not you would be removed if the owner found out (wasn't there at signing) I don't know. I've never heard of anyone being removed, but maybe it's a possibility.

Maybe it's best to send an inquiry to the agent just to make sure.

Thomaso276
07-10-07, 18:16
Owner can aways get a local police squad to evict short term renters. Just like a hotel in the USA. Some landlords worry that visitors will plop down in the apart when the renter leaves and say it is their home, forcing an evition process.

Migh be best to float your pln to another realtor and see what they say. If it sounds okay, it will probably be okay with the place you want.

Master J
07-18-07, 00:07
I hate to sound like a newbie but I can't figure this one out. I had contact with a real estate agent and confirmed an apartment in Las Canitas. After some emails, no phone, I sent a money gram for 20% moneygram, which was one of her options, cheaper. On her site my week is blocked out, and she said if I change dates and it is availble, that would be fine, no add fee.

It has been over 10 days and she has confirmed the dates, but not picked up the deposit. I thought all real realtors would run for the money. Cancellation up to 30 days / receive 1/2 refund. Is it me or perhaps is the apartment owner hoping to rent at a higher price? It is listed with a nother company as well, 300 higher.

I have been staying in Palermo at a small but nice apartment, and the owner in NJ is a dream, great guy. Any thoughts out there on what might be happening? Shpuld I cancel the moneygram and call it a day? As we all know the last thing we could handle is not having what you think you have after the flight! Reynolds is my other option, and they have been following up like crazy.

Thanks as always, anyone. I have my real estate license so I know the game.

Master J
08-07-07, 02:07
Enclosed is the view from an available apartment on Oro / Juncal. Says it is view the top floor. Which park, stadium. Direction is this? I have been near the Rosedal gardens, and did not know if this was the polo grounds or Las Heras park? Thank you.

Andres
08-07-07, 07:34
Enclosed is the view from an available apartment on Oro / Juncal. Says it is view the top floor. Which park, stadium. Direction is this? I have been near the Rosedal gardens, and did not know if this was the polo grounds or Las Heras park? Thank you.This is not a stadium but the main horse parade "playground" of the Sociedad Rural Argentina, located a few meters away from the American embassy (Sarmiento and Colombia)

Every July / August, during the famous Exposición Rural, they have nice performance shows there.

Andres

BundaLover
08-07-07, 14:56
I had contact with a real estate agent and confirmed an apartment in Las Canitas. After some emails, no phone, I sent a money gram for 20% moneygram, which was one of her options, cheaper. Reynolds is my other option, and they have been following up like crazy.

Thanks as always, anyone. I have my real estate license so I know the game.You are a [Deleted by Admin].

You are running people around after you have already committed to a place. You are wasting their time. Now you are worrying about how and when the contracted party is going to spend the money. I would love to see you get [Deleted by Admin].

EDITOR'S NOTE: This report was edited in accordance with the Forum's Zero Tolerance policy regarding reports containing any personal attacks or derogatory comments directed towards another Forum Member or the Forum Membership in general.

Master J
08-07-07, 20:46
Firstly I am very aware of agency responsibilities and am always appreciative of a person's sales time. In both cases I was up front of what was happening and am on good terms with the brokers.

I gratetfully receive a PM from one of our members who knew the broker, passed on their cell number, and I was able to contact the agent who had failed to pass on information regarding the pick-up of the deposit. Moneygram also blew it by still showing the deposit as not picked up.

The important of having this great board is the last thing anyone wants is to be standing in front of a building with nowhere to go! Thanks to the board member, which I did, who took the time to offer constructive comments.

In response to this unsolicited angry response, I have been so delighted with all the board members comments, viewpoints, and banter, that I refuse to let this one and only negative poster rain on my parade. Bad energy man. Thank you as always, Jackson for continuing to run a first rate top notch posting opportunity.

BundaLover
08-09-07, 03:49
I don't know why we continue to let so called professionals post garbage. This so called professional does not disclose the name of the local agent. He has already committed to a course of action then worries about something that is none of his business. But instead of contacting the person who causes confusion directly what does this so called professional Mr. In the game do? He asks the board to tell him what to do for his imagenery problem. Like we give a shit. Gee what if the hotel didnt run my prepaid credit card reservation? I'll be a moron and ask the members what to do! I am too stupid too call the hotel, I am a travel professional, 'I'm in the game." I have half a brain. I want to thank all the 'positive energy' members out their for reading this. I love you guys, especially Exon. What state issues real estate licenses to guys like this? Alaska? Alabama? Really, I want to know.

Pete Puma
08-09-07, 04:49
Yes I see that by having half a brain you get confused a lot. You think lashing out at someone asking for help makes you feel smart. You and exon make a great couple.

Exon123
08-09-07, 12:37
EDITOR'S NOTE: This report was deleted in accordance with the Forum's Zero Tolerance policy regarding reports containing any personal attacks or derogatory comments directed towards another Forum Member or the Forum Membership in general.

Pete Puma
08-09-07, 15:48
You are at the top of that list.