PDA

View Full Version : ID Theft

Nevada
04-05-07, 01:59
As I contemplate my stay in BA, and realize intentions of spending a year or more in Argentina, I fear I might become victim to ID Theft. After all, I will need to take money from machines, use a public computer to access my bank accounts, etc and in general, far away from home.

So I'm curious if why'all might have some suggestions on avoiding ID theft, whether its certain services you subscribe to, or suggestions / strategies on how to avoid theft of information.

Appreciate your thoughts. NV

Easy Go
04-05-07, 03:40
ID theft is the least of your worries. My priorities would be:

1. Having at least two ATM cards and two credit cards from different banks. If I was going for a year, I'd have three sets of accounts. Never have all your cards in the same place. When you have to carry them all at the same time, use a security wallet of some kind (leg, money belt, inside the trouser) for one set.

2. Having the debit card functionality removed from my ATM cards. It's unsecure as hell and can be used to withdraw every cent from the linked account. Also, I'd have each ATM card only linked to a single account rather than both checking and savings.

3. Making sure all my on-line banking sites used different ids and passwords. All e-mail from these sites should go to a different e-mail account rather than your normal e-mail account. NEVER access these sites or that e-mail account from a public PC. The risk of losing a password on a compromised machine is too great. You need to either travel with your own notebook or have a trusted person do everything at home based on e-mails or phone calls from you.

An AMEX card is a good thing to have as American Express has lots of offices where you can get emergency cash and a card replacement. I suspect the local offices of multinational banks like Citibank and HSBC will be disappointingly useless if you need a replacement ATM card. Anybody have any experience in BA?

Mostly, remember that the bad guys are way smarter than you or me so don't try to get cute and think you are going to fool them.

If you are really worried about traditional ID theft, you might want to think about paying for the alert services provided by the various credit services. Most ID thefts result in credit report activity. Also, somebody needs to be checking your regular mail for suspicious activity. I think it is a minor concern compared to the other possibilities.

I imagine lots of people don't take any precautions and never have a problem. Personally, I've had to cancel three credit cards because of fraudulent activity after each one was used just a couple of times in South America and lost an ATM and a credit card to a pickpocket (those guys are good) on my last trip.

Hunt99
04-05-07, 10:58
LifeLock.Com has been doing a lot of advertising of late, guaranteeing safety from identity theft. I have no idea if they are worthwhile, but if Paul Harvey recommends them, I don't think they're a fly-by-night outfit. (Insert your obligatory Paul Harvey jokes here - yes he's ancient but he reminds me a lot of Daddy Rulz and nevertheless I enjoy his daily commentary.)

If I were living in BsAs, I would have that American Express card, as there is an office in town that you can deal with. I would also have a bank account with online banking with one of the big multinational banks which has offices in BsAs, such as Citibank. I don't think there is a need for multiple bank accounts.

Burglary of one's apartment would be a bigger risk IMO than identity theft.

Easy Go
04-05-07, 13:49
I have multiple accounts so when there is a problem with one (for example, ATM card lost, stolen, or eaten by an ATM) and you are low on cash, it's an inconvenience rather than a crisis.

StrayLight
04-05-07, 18:37
Mostly, remember that the bad guys are way smarter than you or me...That's not at all true. A few simple security precautions -- and you've named several -- implemented assiduously can go a very long way towards keeping you out of trouble.

Security is almost always a tradeoff between convenience and safety. The bad guys almost invariably rely on people either being ignorant of proper security precautions, or being too damn lazy to do them.

If you take the time to learn what you should do, and then do it religiously, you're going to be well away from the herd that gets picked off by the wolves. You just have to be willing to be a little inconvenienced from time to time. The more inconvenience you're willing to put up with, the more likely you are to pass through unscathed.

Big Bob 7
04-05-07, 22:22
Nothing has happened to my card so far but I have seen a couple of news reports about card numbers and info being stolen. I also reported recently that after using my card at the supermarket almost all of the card info printed on my receipt. There is little or very unsophisticated encryption technology being used here. I also had to deal with an attempted apartment robbery but I returned more quickly than the thieves intended to find my door wide open and the security latch released to prevent the door from closing shut and re-locking. I think that using a debit card for point of sale purchases should be ruled out altogether in favor of cash (best case scenario) and if you must, use your account protected credit card. In addition, you should really think twice about using a card linked to your account at home on an Argentine website.

Nevada
04-06-07, 01:47
Thanks so far for the lively conversation and valid advise. I will strongly consider getting an AMEX card, as well as maybe a smaller account opened with another bank, with a limited account, to be used for emergencies.

The LiveLock. Com site may be another way to gain some security and I appreciate the link.

As a group taken whole, you are kind to respond.

NV