PDA

View Full Version : American TV via Slingbox or TV Box from Pinnacle

Exon123
04-07-07, 16:40
Wanna watch your American TV shows in Argentina?

If you're missing your favorite current season shows or sports, then you need to check out Slingbox. A friend is the one who introduced it to me and it really is a great addition to the world of technology. Basically the technology uses a box to transmit TV programs from your TV in your home country to your computer, wherever in the world you might be. Your main TV doesn't need to be set to the program you want to watch, or for that matter the TV doesn't even need to be on. If you don't keep a residence in your home country, then you could set it up at your family's home.

The only thing you need to be aware of is that there are no allotments for time differences. Thus, if your favorite show is on at 10 in California, then you'll be up in the middle of the night here in BA.

Technology really is making a difference in how expats are able to keep a little bit of home in more than just their hearts.

BadMan
04-07-07, 17:19
Sounds like a great product, would you happen to have a link to their website?

Thanks,

Bad

El Perro
04-07-07, 18:18
I think Punter127 knows alot about Slingbox.

Easy Go
04-07-07, 19:59
Use the Slingbox to control a Tivo or a other PVR and the whole time difference problem goes away.

My own solution is to use a PC at home to record the show, compress it into a reasonable size file, and copy to to my notebook to watch at my leisure without having to depend on my Internet connection working well (ideas like "depend" and "working well" can be a bit foreign in BA) Works great but, unlike Tivo / Slingbox, it is far from a "plug-and-play" solution.

Rock Harders
04-07-07, 21:13
Mongers-

Slingbox is one of the technologies that El Alamo utilizes in order to show US television programs. A live cable feed is necessary in the United States in order to get the programs in Argentina, along with a high speed internet connection in both the USA and Argentina. Currently, you must use the slingbox through a computer, which can then be fed through to a television, as they do at El Alamo. In the near future, a slingbox that does not require the use of a PC will be available. The use of the slingbox is the reason that El Alamo is the ONLY bar in Argentina that can actually show ALL sporting events live from the USA. People that claim Locos por Futbol or other places can show USA exclusive events are simply full of shit as there is no way that the Argies who own these such places have the US cable accounts located in such markets as Atlanta, Dallas, San Diego, Miami, Philadelphia, and New York as El Alamo does.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

BadMan
04-07-07, 21:20
All this sounds rather technical, how do I get one of these set up? Or should I just give up until a more simplified version comes out?

Thanks,

Bad

Penguin
04-07-07, 21:33
Bad,

It's really not hard to set up at all. Next time you are in the states go to Best Buy and buy slingbox (about $150) Then just plug it into your internet connection (DSL or cable) and your cable tv or Directv box. Then you just follow the setup instructions that come on the CD and that's it. You can travel anywhere in the world. Launch the software on your computer and you can change channels, do whatever.

I set mine up over a year ago and have been using it while in Bs. As. And many other places. I actually connected mine to my Directv TIVO so it records shows and I can watch them at my convenience.

There are no additional monthly charges other than your internet connection and your regular TV service.

PENGUIN

BadMan
04-07-07, 21:39
Thanks Penguin,

It seemed somewhat difficult but thanks for breaking it down for me.

Bad

Punter 127
04-07-07, 23:30
I have had slingbox for over a year, I've used it at several different apartments in BsAs and it works pretty well. But remember it is streaming video, and the quality is not as good as cable TV. But I can watch my home cable (or satellite) on my laptop from any high speed internet source wired or wireless. If you want to check out the quality go to the Alamo and watch it. If you buy slingbox be sure and follow the direction for setting it up, if you don't open a port on your router your slingbox will work at home, but not when you are away from home. I forgot to do this when I up graded my router; it worked great at home, but I could not connect when I got to BsAs. The slingbox directions will tell you step by step how to do this.

Exon123
04-08-07, 00:22
Sounds like a great product, would you happen to have a link to their website?

Thanks,

Badhttp://www.slingmedia.com/indexa.php

Exon

Rainot
04-08-07, 00:57
Very interesting. But if it's wide audience shows you're after, torrents are always available one hour after they were broadcasted in the states or canada or even australia.

There's another way to watch american tv channels (and a lot of other channels worldwide): P2PTV.

Check out Sopcast, TVants, PPStream and PPMate. All those proggies let you watch tons of channels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P2PTV

Cheers.

Jbrlovers
04-08-07, 11:53
If anyone get this bullshit to work please let me know. I tried it several months ago and got nothing except the charge on my credit card. And of course when I contacted them for the refund (4 times) I receive no response.

As for the Slingbox I have to agree that it does work but the picture quality is not the worlds best. But it is worth the time and money if you want home TV to follow you where ever you go.

Introducing Satellite TV for PC 2007 Elite Edition.

Date: Sat, 7 Apr. 2007 12:49:20 -0400

Satellite TV for PC.

2007 Elite Edition.

Over 2800 stations on your PC or laptop.

No extra hardware or TV card required.

Watch TV anywhere in the world on your PC.

More Information.

Now you can watch LIVE TV from.

Around the world in seconds as well as listen to your favorite radio stations. Satellite TV for PC makes it all possible by bringing you into.

A whole new world of online entertainment!

To forward this email to a friend click here.

To unsubscribe from this mailing list, click here.

Copyright 1997-2007 3B Software Inc. 3030 Matlock Rd, Arlington, TX. 76015.

The HTML graphics in this message have been blocked. [Show HTML Graphics - Edit Preferences]

DeleteReplyForwardNot SpamMove.

Previous | Next | Back to Messages Save Message Text | Full Headers

Elusive
04-08-07, 12:50
I dropped slingbox and use http://www.tv-links.co.uk/

Rainot
04-08-07, 14:51
I dropped slingbox and use http://www.tv-links.co.uk/Good one! Especially to check out new shows, see if they're worth downloading over p2p. Cause the quality is kinda crappy, but good enough to see if the show is ok.

But trust me guys, if you have a broadband connection, p2ptv is the way to go. It's free, and once you get used to the programs (Sopcast, PPStream, PPMate, TVants, etc). You'll find tons of chans from the states.

For radios, use Screamer Radio. It has a wide selection of stations.

Sky Ryder
04-08-07, 19:01
I have a dedicated DirecTV receiver in my place in the EeUu and have a SlingBox Pro AV connected to it. I watch and record programs on a 12" laptop. The picture is nowhere near as good as the T. V. But it is not bad if I resize the Slingbox screen to about a 4"X4" picture. The thing that really determines the quality is the connection speed. Anything over about 400 kb works pretty good. The only real pain is the speed at which the remote commands function. I wind up watching a lot of commercials even on recorded programming, just because it is easier than using the remote feature. I find the SlingBox to be a real treat and use it a lot. The thing I really like is I can record and watch what I want regardless of the time zone I am in and that is worth a lot to me. I would highly recommend it, as long as you realize it's limitations.

Sky

Hunt99
04-08-07, 19:13
Back in September 2005 I told you guys about this product:

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showthread.php?p=349115&#post349115

Elusive
04-08-07, 20:32
I have Limewire and Emule, but watching a camcorder movie really ruins a good movie, not unlike watching one on a plane. Its good for TV shows and adult stuff though.

Rainot
04-08-07, 23:03
I have Limewire and Emule, but watching a camcorder movie really ruins a good movie, not unlike watching one on a plane. Its good for TV shows and adult stuff though.That's because you use emule's search function, with which you're prone to get mediocre quality stuff, unless you know what to click and download. You have to use forums, like this one, to know what to get. http://www.****theinter.net/index.php (**** is the F word) is a good one, for example. There's serious DVD quality xvid files there. You can't really notice they're xvid.

I'd discard Limewire for movies. Just us it for mp3 (also use Ares) And use Frostwire instead. Limewire pulled down their pants and made a deal with the RIAA.

Jbrlovers
04-09-07, 02:40
Great information. Being a dumn ass in this area this has all been very helpful. But does anyone know a simple way to record these shows onto a PC hard drive or stand alone portable drive for later viewing? Maybe in MP3 or MP4 so 2 or 3 movie will not fill the hard drive. Is additional software or hardward required and if so what?

Thanks,.

JB.

Good one! Especially to check out new shows, see if they're worth downloading over p2p. Cause the quality is kinda crappy, but good enough to see if the show is ok.

But trust me guys, if you have a broadband connection, p2ptv is the way to go. It's free, and once you get used to the programs (Sopcast, PPStream, PPMate, TVants, etc) You'll find tons of chans from the states.

For radios, use Screamer Radio. It has a wide selection of stations.

Easy Go
04-09-07, 03:14
Bit torrents are a good source of shows as long as you are willing to give as well as receive. The whole p2p file swapping ecosystem isn't something that I find that interesting so I hardly ever use it. Everything I want to watch, I'm able to record myself.

Here are some alternatives that I use listed by the amount of technical knowledge required.

1. Install iTunes and just buy the shows you want from the iTunes Store. A similar option is UnBox from Amazon.

2. Buy a a Tivo Humax with a built-in DVD burner. They are discontinued but there are plenty of both new and used units available on ebay and at www.weakknees.com.

3. Buy a regular Tivo Series 2 and install Tivo Desktop on your notebook. Tivo Desktop lets you transfer shows from them Tivo to your notebook.

4. Turn a PC or Mac into a digital video recorder using add-on hardware and software. I use Beyond TV (www.snapstream.com) on Windows but there are lots of other choices.

Mostly I do (4). (1) and (3) get used when I wasn't able to record something using (4). My sister swears by (2).

Rainot
04-09-07, 03:30
Great information. Being a dumn ass in this area this has all been very helpful. But does anyone know a simple way to record these shows onto a PC hard drive or stand alone portable drive for later viewing? Maybe in MP3 or MP4 so 2 or 3 movie will not fill the hard drive. Is additional software or hardward required and if so what?

Thanks,

JB.Exactly what shows are you talking about? Cause if it's wide audience shows, you can leave 'em downloading while you're gone, and if your inet connection is good, by the time you get back they'll be already complete.

That's the easiest way. But if you want to record live streaming media, it can also be done. There's software for that. http://anonym.to/?http://www.how-to-capture-streaming-media.com/

Check out eztvefnet dot org, they got some pretty damn fast torrents there, for all popular US tv shows.

Cheers.

WorldTravel69
02-05-08, 13:53
Guys:

There is a new product to watch TV away from Home, made by Pinnacle.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/PCTV+Tuners/PCTV+Analog_Digital+PVR/PCTV+To+Go+HD+Wireless.htm

Punter 127
02-05-08, 16:43
Guys:

There is a new product to watch TV away from Home, made by Pinnacle.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/PCTV+Tuners/PCTV+Analog_Digital+PVR/PCTV+To+Go+HD+Wireless.htmWhat ’s the advantage of Pinnacle over Slingbox? Looks like Slingbox by another name to me.

WorldTravel69
02-05-08, 21:36
Almost the same, but more people can watch.

http://reviews.cnet.com/tv-tuner-adapters/pinnacle-pctv-to-go/4505-9332_7-32170460.html?tag=coco

What 's the advantage of Pinnacle over Slingbox? Looks like Slingbox by another name to me.

Damman
12-08-10, 13:00
FYI: They have quit selling the Slingcatcher in the USA, only going for about $700. 00 on Ebay. My unit's power supply gave up the ghost and about shit when I discovered what the going rate is for a new unit. Anyone know of another gadget that will work like the Slingcatcher. Apple TV is a bust for now: sound only.

I did substitute a power supply and got it running, but when the unit goes TU, no alternative.

Wild Walleye
12-08-10, 14:14
FYI: They have quit selling the Slingcatcher in the USA, only going for about $700. 00 on Ebay. My unit's power supply gave up the ghost and about shit when I discovered what the going rate is for a new unit. Anyone know of another gadget that will work like the Slingcatcher. Apple TV is a bust for now: sound only.

I did substitute a power supply and got it running, but when the unit goes TU, no alternative. By power supply, are you referring to the adapter (cord with a brick in the middle of it) as opposed to the power supply inside the box? If so, do you have a US unit plugged into an adapter and into the 220v outlet?

While I haven't spent the time to monitor voltage fluctuations and other variables in the power coming out of the wall, I suspect that there is considerable inconsistency. While almost all the power adapters are rated to handle 110v-220v, I think (opinion, not fact) that long-term use this way shortens the life span.

You guys that have lived in 220v countries for a long-time have more first hand knowledge on the subject.

You might want to look into a UPS or step-down transformer that will convert the power out of the wall to the voltage for which the device was originally intended.