PDA

View Full Version : Argentina newbie- the nitty gritty

Mannyfesto
04-19-07, 16:14
First of all I'd like to say that this looks like a great site and I'm glad I found it. Secondly since I couldn't find an introduction thread, a newbie thread, or a General Argentina section I put my thread here, hope that's ok.

I've done some mongering in S. E. Asia but I've never been to Argentina, or south America for that matter. My Spanish is not great but I'm in a crash course and hope to be able to get around by the time the wheels go up.

I have several questions that I'll try to look up in the appropriate sections but I was hoping someone, perhaps someone that knows the Thailand scene and the Argentina scene, could just give me the break down on how things work.

Also I have some basic questions. Is it easy to get a sim card for my phone? Will I be able to plug my phone and camera recharges into the wall, what kind of plugs do they have?

I'm sure I'll have many more questions, thank you in advance for any help and guidance you guys can give.

Hunt99
04-19-07, 16:16
Welcome to the site. The answers to all your questions are just a click away by use of the "Search" function.

Daddy Rulz
04-19-07, 20:18
First of all I'd like to say that this looks like a great site and I'm glad I found it. Secondly since I couldn't find an introduction thread, a newbie thread, or a General Argentina section I put my thread here, hope that's ok.

I've done some mongering in S. E. Asia but I've never been to Argentina, or south America for that matter. My Spanish is not great but I'm in a crash course and hope to be able to get around by the time the wheels go up.

I have several questions that I'll try to look up in the appropriate sections but I was hoping someone, perhaps someone that knows the Thailand scene and the Argentina scene, could just give me the break down on how things work.

Also I have some basic questions. Is it easy to get a sim card for my phone? Will I be able to plug my phone and camera recharges into the wall, what kind of plugs do they have?

I'm sure I'll have many more questions, thank you in advance for any help and guidance you guys can give.If your camera charges from 220 you can get an adaptor for less than a peso, or you can go to a hardware store and buy a powerstrip that also functions as an adaptor.

Mannyfesto
04-19-07, 20:58
If your camera charges from 220 you can get an adaptor for less than a peso, or you can go to a hardware store and buy a powerstrip that also functions as an adaptor.Thank you, both of my chargers are good to go from 100-240V

Sportsman
04-19-07, 21:53
Cell phone and SIM card thread:

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1923

Electrical converter and adapter thread:

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3676

Jackson’s Buenos Aires tip sheet:

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/forum/images/pdf/BuenosAiresTipSheet01.pdf

AllIWantIsLove
04-19-07, 23:19
In general, North American plugs do not work in Argentine sockets. In my experience, at best you will find a socket in the bathroom which will take a North American plug. THAT'S NOT TO SAY THAT THE CURRENT IS THE SAME AS IN NORTH AMERICA, ONLY THAT THE PLUG FITS THE SOCKET. Argentine plugs and sockets are not the same as in Europe. Send an email to your hotel, they will be able to tell you what their socket situation is.

You can learn something about Argentine plugs and sockets here: http://users.pandora.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm - and probably other, and perhaps better, web sites.

I recall in Spain once I thought that my Spanish was good enough to go to a department store and buy an adaptor. Looked up the word for adaptor in Spanish and I was off. Got to the store, asked for an adaptor, and the clerk actually understood me. Then he asked what kind of adaptor. And I was fucked.

So what I would do is arrange for Anna Luna to pick me up at the airport and tell her when you make the reservation that you want to stop on the way to your hotel and buy an adaptor.

If you want to give it a go on your own you can find a post here somewhere which identifies the electrical gadgets district of Buenos Aires. Or maybe you can even find adaptors in local hardware stores. If you are staying in MicroCentro you may not find a local hardware store. But outside of MicroCentro you should not have to wander around too long before finding one. Of course if they speak English at your hotel they will be able to tell you where to find one.

I've been to Thailand but many years ago. I'd love to go back but cannot take the jetlag. So for me it does not matter how Thailand and Buenos Aires compare. But one thing I will point out is that Spanish is a better investment than Thai!

Good Luck, Bob

Mannyfesto
04-19-07, 23:26
Thanks for the great info guys.